Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

The Dyson turbinehead is seriously worthless garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
My mom needs a new vacuum so I'm thinking of getting her one for Christmas. Staying with bagged for the convenience. Unfortunately I don't have access to consumer reports anymore so I can't check to see if they updated their ratings. Anyway here's a few I'm looking at:

Eureka AirSpeed Bagged - Powderific seems to have had success with his bagless version maybe the bagged version will be good as well.
Hoover Windtunnel T Series Pet - Looks as good as any and she's got a few cats.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
One thing on the airspeed: with our cats and hardwood floors not having a brushroll that you can turn off is a problem as it tends to just scatter litter. I believe there's a version that has brushroll turn off, or there's the "the boss" series which are a little more old school but include the turn off.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

powderific posted:

One thing on the airspeed: with our cats and hardwood floors not having a brushroll that you can turn off is a problem as it tends to just scatter litter. I believe there's a version that has brushroll turn off, or there's the "the boss" series which are a little more old school but include the turn off.

Cool I'll keep an eye out for those as well. How do you like your AirSpeed vs your old The Boss?

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
All the levers and switches on the boss are stiff and creaky compared to the airspeed. The brushroll turnoff is extremely stiff and has a weird action (but I guess I can't give any pints to my airspeed since it doesn't have that switch at all.) The boss has a nicer cleaning wand setup since it's long enough to reach the floor from a standing position. The one we have at our office has survived an impressive amount of abuse. The designs have a lot of similarities, and despite feeling less nice I think I actually prefer the boss for the cleaning wand and brushroll turn off.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
I have vinyl plank flooring throughout my house. What do you guys recommend for vacuuming that? I have a hoover I can turn off the brushes now but it is heavy and bulky, i'd like something a little less cumbersome. Thank you

shahadien
Jan 5, 2014

I've found that the absolute best vacuum you can get is a later model kirby. Granted, they're extremely expensive to buy new ($800+!), but I got mine at an estate auction for just 20$, so if you're on your toes you can catch them at phenomenal deals!

The reason I suggest buying the later models is that the kirby has evolved a lot up until around 2006 or so. At that point, they had pretty much mastered the design, and on later models just started tagging on company extras like lifetime warranties and factory refinishing for very modest fees.

If you can score a Kirby Ultimate G inside your price range you've just hit the jackpot. The ultimate G comes with lifetime servicing guarentees, and anytime it breaks you just send it in to the factory for refurbishing! (I've never seen one break).

If you can't find an ultimate G model, don't fret. Any other 2006 model or later will all have the same features and functions.

They are all bag vacuums, but they advertize the best filtration of any vacuum on the market. Using the kirby actually does clean your house, not just displace the filth.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Christobevii3 posted:

I have vinyl plank flooring throughout my house. What do you guys recommend for vacuuming that? I have a hoover I can turn off the brushes now but it is heavy and bulky, i'd like something a little less cumbersome. Thank you

The dyson canister is great on non-carpet floors. I leave the brush on as it is well contained and doesn't scatter the dirt/dust. Suction is the key for bare floors, and dyson is great auction. The canister vac is very maneuverable.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Eureka Mighty Mite and Hoover Porta Power are the two canisters I'd look at if Dyson isn't your thing. For whatever reason canister vacs seem to be better with hard floors.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
Just want to chime in and say that I've had a Dyson DC25 Animal or whatever for a few years now, and it works like a loving champ, just like the first day I got it. And it absolutely TERRIFIES the cattes.

alternate.eago
Jul 19, 2006
Insert randomness here.
My brother got me a Dyson DC41 for Christmas this year. It is amazing. When I tested it at my friends house (after they had just used their DC28) it sucked up a TON of dust. It also split the seam on their carpet in the living room (though it is OLD carpet). I'm quite pleased with the performance of it.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

This thread is a cople months old, but how often do you vacuum?

Im currently just renting a medium sized room with carpet, no pets. Haven't vacuumed in 4 weeks.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Carpets absorb dust really well, wood floors like in my house not so much. It just gathers and needs to be removed. Wood flooring shows up just how much dust exists in your house. Doesn't help the place I'm in is old as poo poo either.

Peechka
Nov 10, 2005
The problem with dysons is that they plug up over time. and then you have to disassemble the canister thing and clean them. Not a problem, although its tough as hell to take it apart. I find it funny how they say they never lose suction. Thats a bullshit statement.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

Peechka posted:

The problem with dysons is that they plug up over time. and then you have to disassemble the canister thing and clean them. Not a problem, although its tough as hell to take it apart. I find it funny how they say they never lose suction. Thats a bullshit statement.

My experience has been the opposite. I clean the filter once a year and it's very easy to do. It's never lost suction since I've owned it and I have two cats and carpet.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
The filter isn't the problem, but the vortex tubes that'll coat themselves with fine dust. Take the vortex unit and start tapping the bottom of it against a hard surface, ideally outside for obvious reasons, and see how much poo poo will drop out of it.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

lampey posted:

This thread is a cople months old, but how often do you vacuum?

Im currently just renting a medium sized room with carpet, no pets. Haven't vacuumed in 4 weeks.

I have 2 kids and 3 cats, we vacuum 3 times a week at least and generally have to vacuum the living room every day. Before the kids it was twice a week because of the cats. The kids are much messier though.

Combat Pretzel posted:

The filter isn't the problem, but the vortex tubes that'll coat themselves with fine dust. Take the vortex unit and start tapping the bottom of it against a hard surface, ideally outside for obvious reasons, and see how much poo poo will drop out of it.

This happens on my DC17 as well. The fine holes at the top of the canister get this mixture of fine cat hair and kitty litter dust caught in them and it has to be manually removed. Sometimes I use my shop vac in the garage to vacuum out those holes. I maybe have to do this once every 6 months or so with how heavily we use our vacuum.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

skipdogg posted:

This happens on my DC17 as well. The fine holes at the top of the canister get this mixture of fine cat hair and kitty litter dust caught in them and it has to be manually removed. Sometimes I use my shop vac in the garage to vacuum out those holes. I maybe have to do this once every 6 months or so with how heavily we use our vacuum.
Actually, I'm surprised that the animal versions don't have a pre-filter stage to catch all the hair. Some cone filter made of wire or whatever.

Skiant
Mar 10, 2013
Roomba owners, how good would a 630 be?

We've got a cat at home and the cheap vacuum we had so far is breaking down, so I'm investigating the options.
The 630 sounds nice enough to launch about once a day, let it do its things then empty it into the bin.

A friend of mine got a Neato but apparently it tore up a macbook charging cable once and we've got a few cables that might be hanging around. Plus the Roomba 630 is a much cheaper option.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

RBC posted:

My experience has been the opposite. I clean the filter once a year and it's very easy to do. It's never lost suction since I've owned it and I have two cats and carpet.

We've had our Dyson for about 4 months now. 2 kids with a 90 pound long haired dog and a cat. We run it every day in the living room, about every other day through the rest of the house and are yet to lose suction. Now.. I've had to clean some clogs out of it several times already but in comparison to our old vacuum cleaner that's nothing. The -only- thing I don't like about the Dyson, as a 6'4" 270 pound guy, is that it feels so cheap and brittle. I'm yet to break it though so I guess I can't complain too much.

Our old one was a Hoover Pet and I had to pretty much break it down after every use to cut the dog hair out and pull the clogs inside of it.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Skiant posted:

Roomba owners, how good would a 630 be?

We've got a cat at home and the cheap vacuum we had so far is breaking down, so I'm investigating the options.
The 630 sounds nice enough to launch about once a day, let it do its things then empty it into the bin.

A friend of mine got a Neato but apparently it tore up a macbook charging cable once and we've got a few cables that might be hanging around. Plus the Roomba 630 is a much cheaper option.

We have a 650, which I believe is the same as a 630 but with scheduling. It cleans our place once a day during the week before we get home. It does a pretty good job—we have cats and before the Roomba there would always be bits of litter on the floor unless we were religious about sweeping, and the rugs would pretty much always have bits of cat fuzz on them. From what I've read, the Roomba deals with rug fringes and cables much better than the Neato. I've still had the spinning side brush get tangle in rug fringe, but it's never done anything to the numerous cords I leave scattered about.

It's more of a thing to have in addition to a full size vacuum rather than a full on replacement. Think of it more like a glorified sweeper with a little bit of suction. I love having it though.

One thing, if you do get one, Bed Bath and Beyond has them on sale occasionally, and they'll usually let you stack one of their 20% off coupons on top of the sale. Our 650 wound up being something like $300, maybe even a touch less, instead of the normal $400.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
Well I took a stab on the GTech AirRam, I was a little hesitant with it being a bit different, but after seeing lots and lots of reviews praising it I went for it.
Have only used it a couple of times so far but I'm made up with it. It's so easy whizz it round the house being light and wire free, and despite the tiny pot it really does 'Ram' the dirt in there tightly and doesn't need emptying anywhere near as often as I'd have guessed.

I'm in the UK , I don't know what its world wide availability is like.

Skiant
Mar 10, 2013

powderific posted:

We have a 650, which I believe is the same as a 630 but with scheduling. It cleans our place once a day during the week before we get home. It does a pretty good job—we have cats and before the Roomba there would always be bits of litter on the floor unless we were religious about sweeping, and the rugs would pretty much always have bits of cat fuzz on them. From what I've read, the Roomba deals with rug fringes and cables much better than the Neato. I've still had the spinning side brush get tangle in rug fringe, but it's never done anything to the numerous cords I leave scattered about.

It's more of a thing to have in addition to a full size vacuum rather than a full on replacement. Think of it more like a glorified sweeper with a little bit of suction. I love having it though.

One thing, if you do get one, Bed Bath and Beyond has them on sale occasionally, and they'll usually let you stack one of their 20% off coupons on top of the sale. Our 650 wound up being something like $300, maybe even a touch less, instead of the normal $400.

Thanks for the review, I just ordered a 630.
Sadly I'm not in the US so no BBB and I paid the full price (~285€). Still feels like a small price to pay for the living room being cleaned off of cat hair.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

This is a good thread with advice about useful items. I think Roombas/etc are good for your everyday keeping the clutter off vacuuming, I've had a 500series for like 5 years. Replaced the battery once, it's a champ.

As far as big boy vacs go! Miele all the way. They have excellent, excellent suction (like Dysons) but have stunningly quiet motors (unlike Dysons). They're in no way cheap though.

Also, avoid the Eureka like the plague, they're poo poo now. They used to make a good vacuum, my mother had a very high-end one she got for free after buying a low-end at Lowes or something and complaining about it. (Its suction would pull the bag away from the nozzle so it pulled dirt right into the motor.) They sent what was then their highest quality thing, the Europa, along for free. It lasted for about fifteen years but it died, they just don't make anything of quality anymore, and it's not possible to get replacement parts, so she got a Miele.

Also I love bag vacuums over bagless, it always bothers me that you get dust out into the air again when you empty a bagless :v:

el_brio
Feb 17, 2012
I want a cordless stick vac for easy hardwood floor/tile/laminate clean up. I ordered a Dyson dc44 refurb from amazon and it is charging as we speak. Haven't used it yet. I am starting to kinda regret spending that much money on a light duty vac... anyone have any opinions or is there something else that would work just as well but not cost $230?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Not that I can think of. Shark just came out with their corded stick vac, the Rocket. I bought a refurb DC35 a year or so ago and I love it. We keep it in the kitchen to clean up light stuff.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I picked up a DC44 a few months ago when Costco had them discounted because a new model revision was coming through (really just a change in attachment bundle) and I love it. I have about a 1100 sq ft 3 bedroom ranch with hardwood floors and the power head is perfect for that surface and works much better than any other vacuum I've used on it. I still use a microfiber mop every once and awhile to get into the tough spots, but for weekly cleaning I just do a once over with the Dyson and it takes under 10 minutes.

From my experience, there's nothing really light duty about it. I use the hose attachment with the crevice tool to do quick spot cleaning of my car and it sucks as well as my shop vac.

Sergiu64
May 21, 2014

Bought Miele Cat & Dog upright vacuum when I got my cats, drat thing is so good it literally changes the color of my carpet. It uses bags though, I end up getting them on Amazon but if the company goes out of business or something it might quickly become useless.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Sergiu64 posted:

Bought Miele Cat & Dog upright vacuum when I got my cats, drat thing is so good it literally changes the color of my carpet. It uses bags though, I end up getting them on Amazon but if the company goes out of business or something it might quickly become useless.
Miele was founded in 1899 and is a quite highly regarded manufacturer, if perhaps less well known outside Europe. Worst case they pull out of the US market (after 30 years) and you have to pay slightly more on Amazon to import bags.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

shahadien posted:

I've found that the absolute best vacuum you can get is a later model kirby. Granted, they're extremely expensive to buy new ($800+!), but I got mine at an estate auction for just 20$, so if you're on your toes you can catch them at phenomenal deals!

The reason I suggest buying the later models is that the kirby has evolved a lot up until around 2006 or so. At that point, they had pretty much mastered the design, and on later models just started tagging on company extras like lifetime warranties and factory refinishing for very modest fees.

If you can score a Kirby Ultimate G inside your price range you've just hit the jackpot. The ultimate G comes with lifetime servicing guarentees, and anytime it breaks you just send it in to the factory for refurbishing! (I've never seen one break).

If you can't find an ultimate G model, don't fret. Any other 2006 model or later will all have the same features and functions.

They are all bag vacuums, but they advertize the best filtration of any vacuum on the market. Using the kirby actually does clean your house, not just displace the filth.

Quoting this because of how true it is.

I loving love my G4!

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I just bought a DC-25 off woot today.

I can't wait to have clean carpets!

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Miele was founded in 1899 and is a quite highly regarded manufacturer, if perhaps less well known outside Europe. Worst case they pull out of the US market (after 30 years) and you have to pay slightly more on Amazon to import bags.

Yeah they're here to stay barring them pulling a Eureka and deciding that they're not really into making vacuums anymore. Local proper vacuum store here stopped carrying Eureka and won't even repair them anymore because he got sick of waiting 3, 4 months to get parts.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Figured I'd post. I'm looking at getting a new vacuum (Mine is a old rear end Singer vacuum). The old one just doesn't have the suction anymore. I need hardwood and carpet.

I was looking at the DC44, seems to be highly regarded here, and I'd love the portability of it. Pick it up, vacuum and go. Would any of the other models be just as good (Though they seem to be the same price on ebay)?

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION
I just had an up/down/up experience with Dyson's customer service. I got a DC25 as a wedding gift from my parents a little more than a year ago, and I've really enjoyed it. I know it's regarded as overpriced, but it's performed well for me. Plus the sentimental value means I don't want to part with it. Two weeks ago, I came home to find my dog had taken his separation anxiety out on the hard plastic tubing on the left side of the vacuum. It's the tube that leads from the top of the canister to the ...ball thing at the bottom. So there's no suction.

Very long story short,
  • I was told it was covered by the first CSR,
  • the second CSR said it shouldn't have been, but she said it would be honored because they said it would,
  • it is shipped off, and the service center calls me and says it'll be $200+ to fix.
  • I'm confused and upset. I was told if I refuse the repair, they'd charge me $35 to ship it back.
  • I call and speak to a 3rd CSR who gives me the run around as best she can (3 holds of 15+ minutes each, followed by a "I'm off tomorrow, so you won't hear from me, but my manager may call you within 72 hours."
  • I speak to a 4th CSR who apologizes for the 3rd one, calls EVERYBODY who has spoken to me so far, listens to my recording, and says Dyson will take care of "both your vacuum and [the 3rd CSR].

I found this thread before the issue was resolved, so I was ready to get a Shark Navigator Lift-Away Pro model from BB&B with a 20% coupon. I felt a little guilty holding them to the original promise, but by the end of the ordeal, I didn't care. Now I'll get my Dyson back, I suppose.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION
edit: double post lol

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
Are there any good vacuums you can wear like a backpack? Looking to clean both carpet and hardwood with lots of dog hair. And I mean a lot. I hate that dog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

Are there any good vacuums you can wear like a backpack? Looking to clean both carpet and hardwood with lots of dog hair. And I mean a lot. I hate that dog.

• Locked thread