Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nathan Explosion
Aug 14, 2006
A whole new rainbow of pain!
If you can find an old Kirby on Craigslist or elsewhere definitely check it out. They truly are the rolls Royce of vacuums.

I found mine on the curb during one of those large object collection days the waste management people have once a year. Some idiot sucked up a bunch of drywall dust and gunked everything up.

A few minutes of cleaning and its been an awesome machine. Terrific suction, built like a tank and the self propulsion is an amazing luxury. On the downside its as heavy as a tank and it requires bags that are a shade more expensive than most.

I wouldn't pay the $1200 or so that they charge for a brand new one but if you can find a bargain check it out for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nathan Explosion
Aug 14, 2006
A whole new rainbow of pain!

grover posted:

We have a Kirby and hate it. We actually got it, because my wife's mom bought it and hated it, and gave it to us, but my wife used it for a bit before deciding she hated it and went back to an old cheap vacuum. Her Kirby works well enough, but it's too damned heavy and takes special bags that cost a fortune. Even when her favorite cheap vacuum died, she refused to use it. Long story short: it's WAY overrated. I think most of the positive reviews are psychologically tainted from people who don't want to admit they got scammed out of $1200 by a slick salesman, and others who think "more expensive" = better.

We ended up buying a Eureka AirSpeed AS1000A a few months ago, which is working out great. It's got all the best tech frozzm Dyson's expired patents and works very well (better than an actual Dyson, according to 3rd party tests) and without any of the ridiculous Dyson markup.

I'm gonna have to disagree with you. Kirbys are over engineered like crazy. Mine is at least 20 years old and still runs like a raped ape. The thing is constructed like some sort of turn of the century steam powered torture implement. The suction and power is legendary.

Its definitely heavy. I wouldn't want to have to lug it up and down stairs. The bags are $3 more than other brands and its a bitch to hook up the attachments but I love it the same way people love classic cars. They just don't build em like that anymore.

Like I said, don't pay the outrageous price for a new one. But if one can be had for the right price there isn't really anything that compares to it.

• Locked thread