Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
So I'm in the market for a new vacuum. Want an upright, and looking to spend somewhere between $100 to $200. Don't care about noise level or bag vs. bagless just whatever has the best suction. I've heard that bagless is hyped and that bags have better suction but I have no idea if it's true or not. Bagless seem more annoying to empty (dust flies everywhere when you dump the container), but having to buy new bags can be annoying too, so that seems like a wash.

Currently I'm looking at:

1. Hoover WindTunnel T-series Rewind
2. Shark Navigator
3. Eureka AirSpeed
4. Hoover Platinum Lightweight Upright with Canister
5. Eureka The Boss
6. Hoover WindTunnel Anniversary
7. Dyson Animal

These seem to be the best reviewed in my price range from what I can tell with a bit of googling. Still, I'd like to hear what you goons recommend. Doesn't have to be something I'm looking at here, just whatever you feel is the strongest vacuum.

EDIT: Added Consumer Reports and more vacuums

Bagged

Bagless

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Oct 12, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Noxious posted:

My two cents, the only bagless vacuum that I have owned and was happy with was a Dyson. You can get one for $300 ish putting it out side your given budget.

I haven't owned any of the ones you listed so I can't really comment on those. I did have several bagless vacuums before I got the Dyson and they all sucked by comparison. Bagless vacuums are really nice because of the ease of waste management.

The Dyson's really do suck but unfortunately they are other wise made of cheap plastic and don't feel any more durable than any of the other options out there. But as I said they really do suck. We got the Dyson after we got our dog and the old vacuum died a couple of weeks after we started using it a couple times a week. It has been going strong for 2 years now of multi week house cleanings.

I might be willing to go up to $300ish if it's really worth it. What Dyson model are you thinking of?

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
I added some Consumer Reports information and a few more vacuums to the OP.

I've seen Dyson, specifically the Animal recommended in a lot other places as well.

The Eureka Boss also looks good. And I've heard a lot about that through word of mouth.

Right now I'm also very interested in the Hoover WindTunnel Anniversary since that's at the top of Consumer Reports' recommendation list.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Oct 12, 2011

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
The AirSpeed does look pretty slick, then again it seems like they all look pretty slick these days. The AirSpeed is only 18 lbs. as opposed to the 21 lbs. Anniversary so that may have accounted for the weight difference you felt if that was indeed the corret model Anniversary. The Platinum Upright is only 13 lbs. but I agree the seperate canister vac is feeling meh. The AirSpeed does come in just behind the Dyson DC28 Animal on Consumer Reports, so that's not bad for the cost difference.

I pretty much feel the same way as you about the Dyson, they look great but the ratings I've seen for it don't seem $300-$400 better than some of the other ones I'm looking at. If I can find a huge discount I'll consider it, though.

I'm also starting to lean toward bagged as well. My whole vacuum search got started after I had an allergy attack that had me sneezing all day. I also went over to a friends house who has one of those little red Hoover Flair Bagless Stickvac's that you see all over the place these days. I messed around with it a bit for a while. I'd never used a bagless before. It was nice for quick clean up and barefloor stuff but when I went to empty the container dust still managed to fly out of the garbage can even though I held the container far down in the bag. Thinking about it now having to go through that process seems quite a bit more annoying than ordering bags off of Amazon every once in a while. So that might be something that makes you reconsider the bagless AirSpeed.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Oct 12, 2011

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
As far as bagged goes Amazon's popularity rankings seems to match up pretty well with Consumer Reports' rankings. Which is why I'm currently leaning towards the Anniversary. But if that ends up being too heavy the Hoover Windtunnel Max is ranked at 71 vs the Anniversary's 73 on CR and the Max is only 17 lbs. so you could check that one out too.

Then again you know what they say, if it ain't broke don't fix it. If the Boss is working well for you stick with it. Otherwise it's easy enough to give a different brand/model a try for a few weeks and then return it. Is the Boss Eureka's most popular bagged upright? I haven't really looked at them much.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

powderific posted:

I looked at a cheaper version of the windtunnel max and one thing I really liked about it was that the brushroll switch was a foot button. Even though the weight doesn't look that different on paper, it sure felt a lot lighter to me. It might not be that big of deal to you though--do you have any store local where you can check them out?
I'll see if I can swing by Best Buy or Target or something tomorrow and handle a few different ones to try to get an idea of what I like.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
So I guess I'll go ahead and post my thoughts.

I went ahead and got the Hoover WindTunnel Anniversary. The thing is a beast, but the self propulsion helps. It is kind of annoying in tight spaces though, as I've run over my own foot a few times.

Everything else seems to be working great. The bag fills up pretty quickly which to me is a sign that it's getting up a lot of dirt and junk. I don't really use the dirt finder feature. I tried it the first few times and it just took too long to finish vacuuming. I never use the attachment tools so I can't say much about them. I do dread trying to use to it to vacuum the stairs, again because of it's weight.

Would I buy it again? Eh, maybe. I don't want to say that I'm unhappy with it, because I'm not, but I might like to try out some others just to see how they operated first.

Hey, powderific, how's it going with your AirSpeed?

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
On a related note, I just picked up a Hoover Max Extract Carpet Cleaner for my mom. I checked Consumer Reports again and found that this is the same as the highest rated model, which has additional bare floor function that she didn't require. She says she's quite happy with it so far and that it seems to do a much better job than the old Bissell she had before. I've never really had the need for a carpet cleaner myself but I might have to borrow it to give it a try.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 06:33 on May 12, 2012

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
My mom needs a new vacuum so I'm thinking of getting her one for Christmas. Staying with bagged for the convenience. Unfortunately I don't have access to consumer reports anymore so I can't check to see if they updated their ratings. Anyway here's a few I'm looking at:

Eureka AirSpeed Bagged - Powderific seems to have had success with his bagless version maybe the bagged version will be good as well.
Hoover Windtunnel T Series Pet - Looks as good as any and she's got a few cats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

powderific posted:

One thing on the airspeed: with our cats and hardwood floors not having a brushroll that you can turn off is a problem as it tends to just scatter litter. I believe there's a version that has brushroll turn off, or there's the "the boss" series which are a little more old school but include the turn off.

Cool I'll keep an eye out for those as well. How do you like your AirSpeed vs your old The Boss?

• Locked thread