Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Nathan Explosion posted:

I'm gonna have to disagree with you. Kirbys are over engineered like crazy. Mine is at least 20 years old and still runs like a raped ape. The thing is constructed like some sort of turn of the century steam powered torture implement. The suction and power is legendary.

Its definitely heavy. I wouldn't want to have to lug it up and down stairs. The bags are $3 more than other brands and its a bitch to hook up the attachments but I love it the same way people love classic cars. They just don't build em like that anymore.

Like I said, don't pay the outrageous price for a new one. But if one can be had for the right price there isn't really anything that compares to it.

Yeah, a Kirby pretty much has an endless service life.
My grandparents on both sides bought one in the 60's and they're still going (and work extremely well). I think they were last serviced for ~$100 about 10 years ago. Motors were re brushed, new bearings, replaced the cords, bag, polished the hell out of them, etc.

My parents bought one in the early 90's for god only knows how much, but considering that it's been roaring along for ~20 years, gently caress all other vacuums.

The service cost is some percentage of the original purchase price now, so even a 90's Kirby is hilariously cheap to have rebuilt. I would never buy a new one, but good lord do they work well.

e: they only weigh like 30lbs. My 80 year old grandmother used to walk up the stairs carrying it in one hand.

Hypnolobster fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Sep 9, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread