Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
herbaceous backson
Mar 10, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Daddyo posted:

I've got a Dyson DC17 and would only give it 2 out of 5 stars. I've had it for 3 years now and found that it manages to suck pet hair into the cyclone with an alarming frequency. I've had to use a coat hanger to clear the ports several times.

I've got a DC17 as well, and I've noticed the same thing. We've got cats and a dog, and those little loving cyclone chambers always get blocked with pet hair, and the cyclone shroud thing isn't a user-serviceable part.

Is this something that's been addressed with the new Dysons? I know they advertise them as "never clog," but mine sure as hell does. Regularly.

The attachment wand is also awkward as poo poo to use in small spaces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

herbaceous backson
Mar 10, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

rawk cawk posted:

I have the DC25 Animal, and it has never clogged (I have 4 cats and live in the desert so they shed like crazy all year round). So apparently they resolved that issue, at least for the Animal version. I can't comment on the others, however.

Looks like you're right, according to Wikipedia:

quote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Dyson_products#DC17

The level 3 root cyclone system on the DC17 was quietly redesigned due to a gasket defect that allowed dirt to enter the cylones backward, clogging them and causing the cleaner to lose suction; almost all of the original DC17s had this problem. The redesigned cyclone pack, fitted to later DC17s, resolved this issue. Older DC17s were not recalled, but Dyson gave out and sold many of the redesigned cyclone packs.

Still annoying for a $450+ vacuum.

Are Mieles and Riccars worth the money?

• Locked thread