Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don't want to bring down the wrath of happy Dyson users, but I'm skeptical that it's the one and only answer for the vacuuming world. It seems like any time I read a professional review where Dysons are tested directly against other vacuums they don't get that much higher marks than less expensive vacuums. That, and many of the glowing user reviews I've read come from people who had horrible experiences with their previous vacuums and are thus easier to impress. I'd really like to get my hands on one to compare it to the vacuum I have right now and see how it stacks up, or at least hear from someone who had a vacuum they liked before they got a Dyson. That said, if you could get it for under $200 it seems like a pretty solid choice.

Anyway, my recommendation: I've had two different versions of this Eureka, both the pet and regular version, and they've both been fantastic and have lasted years: http://www.amazon.com/Eureka-Smart-Vac-Upright-Cleaner-4870MZ/dp/B0015ASJIY/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1318370233&sr=1-1

Both have been heavily abused--one of them is at my office where it's been manhandled by my gorilla coworkers for a year without much ill effect, the other is six years old and still going strong.

powderific fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Oct 11, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I went down to the small appliance and everything else in the world store to check out some of these in person. Didn't have time to actually turn them on and test suction, which, ah, certainly limits the usefulness of my impressions, but here they are anyway:

3. Eureka AirSpeed
I really liked this one, probably in part due to it feeling like an evolution of the vacuum I recommended two posts above. One of my favorite features for everyday use is that cleaning wand thingy is really easy to deploy and you don't need to unhook, then attach like you do with some other vacuums. Since my girlfriend stole my other vacuum I'm considering picking one up (thought I'd want to actually turn it on first.)

4. Hoover Platinum Lightweight Upright with Canister
This seemed neat, but having a separate canister for tools and bare floors would really annoy me. The canister looks really ugly too.

5. Eureka The Boss
I own two and think they're fabulous. Something that isn't great: the lever you press to make it not sit upright is really stiff, as are the power brush switch and carpet height adjustment. At least on the two models I have.

6. Hoover WindTunnel Anniversary
I don't know if I it was this exact model, but the self propelled hoover I looked at weighed about one million pounds. Comparing the shipping weights, it seems that I might be either crazy or looking at something else.

7. Dyson Animal
I really liked the cleaning wand thingy on this. Overall it seemed like a cool vacuum, but loving $500? I don't know. It didn't feel significantly nicer than the $100 Eureka Air Speed (although that drat wand was really cool and I'm sure there were other neato features I would have found on closer inspection). Maybe all that extra money is on the inside components. If you can find one for a crazy deal it might be worth it.

Finally, I may be the only one, but I way prefer bagging uprights. I have pretty bad allergies and, to me, it's much more convenient to have a bag I can throw in the trash without kicking up a bunch of dust. How hard is it to buy a couple extra bags to keep on hand?

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Found two mini reviews that mention the AirSpeed in comparison to Dyson. I didn't realize that Eureka had been trying to target Dyson directly with it. Anyway, consumer reports said the AirSpeed "cleaned more deeply" than the DC25 in their testing lab, while Popular Mechanics did a test with flour where the Dysons worked better.

http://news.consumerreports.org/appliances/2011/05/new-vacuum-ratings-eureka-vs-dyson-best-at-pet-hair.html

http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/gadgets/reviews/bagless-upright-vacuum-cleaner-comparison-test

Buuut I'm leaning towards finding another bagging upright instead. I kindof want to try something new after two Bosses though.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I looked at a cheaper version of the windtunnel max and one thing I really liked about it was that the brushroll switch was a foot button. Even though the weight doesn't look that different on paper, it sure felt a lot lighter to me. It might not be that big of deal to you though--do you have any store local where you can check them out?

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I decided to give bagless a shot and ordered the airspeed. After playing with it in the store again, I discovered that it fixed my main complaint about the boss -- the stiff switches -- while keeping similar functionality. And I'm curious to see if bagless is worth it. If not, I'll just trade back my girlfriend for the old boss. When it gets here on Tuesday I'll post up my impressions.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Though I've been arguing against them to some degree, Dyson DC25s are $250 on Woot today if anyone's in the market.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Trip report:

My new Eureka Airspeed just came in the mail. I tested it out a bit over my lunch break and really like it so far. Suction seems very good, quite impressive with the attachment tools, and it got a disturbing amount of debris out of one very small rug in my living room. I'm going to take it over to my girlfriend's cat hair infested apartment tonight and give it a more thorough testing.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

chupacabraTERROR posted:

That's great and all, but I think the real determiner of a vacuum's worth is how well it performs a year down the road.

I totally get that, which is why I posted about a different vacuum I've had two models of, one for about 6 years, earlier. But, since I got the Airspeed partially because of this thread, I figured I may as well post some impressions. I'm not saying everyone should go out and buy it this second.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm guessing a kirby you buy now will be not that different from the 30 year old model. The idea of someone seeking out a kirby vs. being prodded into it by a door to door salesman is pretty funny to me. Since they are build like bulldozers, you'd probably be best off seeing if you could find one used. I honestly don't know what to think about them as most discussion about them centers around the door to door salesmen.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Really happy with it so far. The bagless setup isn't as annoying as I thought it would be as it's kind of fun seeing the results of your efforts; HOWEVER, there is no way it's less of a hassle than bags. You have to empty it quite a bit more often than you have to change bags. It's easy enough, but yeah, I'd say bagless is actually more work.

• Suction is very good. Better than my old Boss, but that could just be because the other vacuum is getting old.
  • It's fairly light and easy to move around
  • The foot release thing and carpet height adjuster are much easier to use than on the Boss. I wish it had one or two extra levels of height adjustment though.
  • It's a little louder than the boss
  • Though I'm not convinced bagless is better than bagged, it is very easy to empty out the dust bin and clean off the filter
  • The design makes it easy to switch over to tools at any point. My biggest grip here is with the hose: on the boss, there was a second tube on the outside of the first cleaning tube that you could pull off and attach so you could reach things on the floor without bending over. The Airspeed'd tube isn't long enough. It's a convenient length for most things, but I wish I had the option of extra length.
  • Since you can't turn off the roller brush, it does sometimes scatter stuff on bare floors. Mostly works well though thanks to the strong suction
  • The shipping weight doesn't look much lower than the Boss, but I swear it's easier to push around

Not sure what else I can say about it other than that I'm happy with the purchase. In general, it vacuums well and it's easy to use. The layout of the vacuum is very similar to my old Boss (which is a plus to me) with some subtle refinements and a couple things missing.

Would I buy it again? Probably. I think it delivers a lot for the money. However, I had a really good idea what I was getting into since it is so similar to a vacuum I already love and is cheaper to boot.

edit: I should mention that I'm talking about the Eureka Airspeed here.

powderific fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Feb 8, 2012

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

grover posted:

Anyone buy this Eureka and have a trip report on it? The Amazon reviews honestly look better than the reviews for the Animal. She really liked her last bagless Eureka.

Yeah, that's what my post right above yours was about. I suppose I should have said which one I was talking about.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Thought I should update that eureka has a new version of the airspeed that seems to have been enhanced for bare floor use. You can turn off the brush roll and it has little flaps on the head to give it better suction.

Also, anyone looking for a shop vac should check out rigid's vac with the scroll noise reduction. I think it's about $100 and it is the quietest shop vac I've ever used. It's quieter than my regular vacuum, actually. Makes it pleasant to use and the thing has plenty of suction.

Now I'm looking for something that'll do bare floors better. My ergorapido stick vac and eureka airspeed tend to scatter kitty litter, while my old boss vac seems to have gained suction while it was at my girlfriends place and now sucks up the same rugs it worked great on before. The shop vac is miraculous on bare floors if I feel like lugging it in from the detached garage. Right now I'm thinking something like a mighty might, though I'd prefer to find a lightweight upright as canister vacs are a pain.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Man, I knew that color scheme reminded me of something.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My Eureka The Boss is still going strong after as many years and I've never needed parts :smuggo:

On the Roomba, I've had a 650 since last Christmas and it's been pretty great for us. We have two cats, hardwood floors, and one big rug with a major fringe. It took a few runs to figure out where it would get stuck and move some things around, but since then it's been running every day during the week before we get home with few incidents. Every now and again it'll get tangled in the rug fringe, maybe once every couple weeks, or get stuck on a cat toy. It recently tried to vacuum up cat barf, which was fun to clean up.

Originally I wanted the Neato due to the much more efficient looking cleaning pattern and coolness of laser scanning. After reading up on it, I decided on the Roomba for a few reasons. iRobot has been improving a lot of basic things, like part durability, with every release. Things that used to break a lot don't really break that often anymore. The newer versions deal with cords and fringes a good bit better than the Neato. The random pattern on the Roomba is infuriating to watch because it seems so inefficient, but actually seems to get my floors very well. It sounds like the Neato has a much more powerful vacuum but I think the multiple passes of the Roomba might help alleviate that difference, and it probably doesn't matter as much for hardwood anyway.

Overall I'm extremely happy with it. My floors are much cleaner day to day and the only maintenance it needs is emptying the bin every day and a good brush cleaning once a week.

If you can, wait for a sale. Bed Bath and Beyond seems to have sales and bundles more than anywhere else, and you can often combine them with the 15 and 25% coupons they mail out constantly. I think the final price on ours wound up being about $300 instead of the normal $399.

powderific fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jul 25, 2013

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Pretty sure this is the same vac people are fawning over above: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Morphy-Richards-73411-Suction-Upright/dp/B0052WHCW0/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1385399385&sr=8-10&keywords=vacuum

It also looks like you can get the Eureka Airspeed stuff there, which is what I have and like.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
A lot of the things people mention about their Dyson's being great with aren't things I've ever had problems with on my cheap vacuums. Unless my airspeed or the boss are almost completely full, I don't have any issues with suction. My The Boss is something like 8 years old now and still works great. We also have a the boss at work that gets heavily abused and is doing fine after three years. Maybe I'm just better at buying good cheap vacuums? Sometimes I think people don't bother reading reviews on cheap vacuums and thus wind up with lovely ones.

I'd also like to mention that, after having both, I think bagging vacuums are way less hassle than bag-less. Seeing the dirt may be satisfying or whatever, but bags last for ages before you change them, and the bag is the filter so you don't have clean anything in the vacuum itself.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
One thing on the airspeed: with our cats and hardwood floors not having a brushroll that you can turn off is a problem as it tends to just scatter litter. I believe there's a version that has brushroll turn off, or there's the "the boss" series which are a little more old school but include the turn off.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
All the levers and switches on the boss are stiff and creaky compared to the airspeed. The brushroll turnoff is extremely stiff and has a weird action (but I guess I can't give any pints to my airspeed since it doesn't have that switch at all.) The boss has a nicer cleaning wand setup since it's long enough to reach the floor from a standing position. The one we have at our office has survived an impressive amount of abuse. The designs have a lot of similarities, and despite feeling less nice I think I actually prefer the boss for the cleaning wand and brushroll turn off.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Eureka Mighty Mite and Hoover Porta Power are the two canisters I'd look at if Dyson isn't your thing. For whatever reason canister vacs seem to be better with hard floors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Skiant posted:

Roomba owners, how good would a 630 be?

We've got a cat at home and the cheap vacuum we had so far is breaking down, so I'm investigating the options.
The 630 sounds nice enough to launch about once a day, let it do its things then empty it into the bin.

A friend of mine got a Neato but apparently it tore up a macbook charging cable once and we've got a few cables that might be hanging around. Plus the Roomba 630 is a much cheaper option.

We have a 650, which I believe is the same as a 630 but with scheduling. It cleans our place once a day during the week before we get home. It does a pretty good job—we have cats and before the Roomba there would always be bits of litter on the floor unless we were religious about sweeping, and the rugs would pretty much always have bits of cat fuzz on them. From what I've read, the Roomba deals with rug fringes and cables much better than the Neato. I've still had the spinning side brush get tangle in rug fringe, but it's never done anything to the numerous cords I leave scattered about.

It's more of a thing to have in addition to a full size vacuum rather than a full on replacement. Think of it more like a glorified sweeper with a little bit of suction. I love having it though.

One thing, if you do get one, Bed Bath and Beyond has them on sale occasionally, and they'll usually let you stack one of their 20% off coupons on top of the sale. Our 650 wound up being something like $300, maybe even a touch less, instead of the normal $400.

• Locked thread