Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Regarding Dyson, is there actually an advantage in the three stage one instead of the older two stage cyclone thingy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

CubanMissile posted:

I will say that the Dyson hand dryers are the only ones I've ever used in a public restroom where the time it took to actually dry my hands was shorter than my patience.
What, you don't think they work faster than these repurposed hair dryers?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

The problem with a lot of bagless vacuums in the past was that Dyson held the patent on staging two cyclones for better filtration (in my opinion, it's a loving obvious thing based on its physics, but anyway), that led to other manufacturers resulting to a single cyclone for filtering coarse dirt and resorting to filters for fine dirt, kinda defeating the point.

Dyson's patent ran out a while ago, two stage cyclonic vacuums should be available from everybody now. Dyson's new thing is three stages and this is patented. The final stage on these has way smaller cyclones than the two staged Dysons and should be able to filter way smaller dust particles. Whether there's an advantage or not depends if you skipped paying for a version with HEPA filter (which again would need cleaning).

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

The filter isn't the problem, but the vortex tubes that'll coat themselves with fine dust. Take the vortex unit and start tapping the bottom of it against a hard surface, ideally outside for obvious reasons, and see how much poo poo will drop out of it.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

skipdogg posted:

This happens on my DC17 as well. The fine holes at the top of the canister get this mixture of fine cat hair and kitty litter dust caught in them and it has to be manually removed. Sometimes I use my shop vac in the garage to vacuum out those holes. I maybe have to do this once every 6 months or so with how heavily we use our vacuum.
Actually, I'm surprised that the animal versions don't have a pre-filter stage to catch all the hair. Some cone filter made of wire or whatever.

• Locked thread