Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

A few months back my girlfriend and I moved into a new place with a mutual friend of ours who donated her Dyson DC23 canister vacuum and I'm starting to hate the drat thing.

It sucks. Don't get me wrong, the thing could probably suck a golf ball through a 30 foot garden hose but there are a few irritating design flaws that aren't immediately obvious and yet would really disappoint me if I had spent a few hundo on the machine:

- The turbine head brush roll performance is really sensitive to dirt; i.e. it needs to be kept very clean. Fair enough. I try to clean it out every few uses because we have cats but the big problem is
- The turbine head suction opening is tiny. Smaller than any other vacuum opening I've seen, so it gets plugged up with hair, larger dust bits, etc.
- It's a canister vacuum which I think is just a gigantic pain in the rear end to use. This is mostly my opinion.

Overall the machine also feels a little cheaply built. Certainly no better than a lot of $100 vacuums I've used.

Once again, though, the suction power on this thing is no joke, and even with older filters and a full canister the turbine head seems to really suck itself to the floor and pull dirt out of corners as if by magic. I'm also pretty sure Dyson has addressed the issues I mentioned with the turbine head in later versions of the canister models.

I'd rather spend a couple hundred on a mid range upright, myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

powderific posted:

I'd also like to mention that, after having both, I think bagging vacuums are way less hassle than bag-less. Seeing the dirt may be satisfying or whatever, but bags last for ages before you change them, and the bag is the filter so you don't have clean anything in the vacuum itself.

This a thousand times. The "convenience" of being able to dump everything in your trash can (while getting dust all over the place) is outweighed the first time you have to pull out five filthy loving filters and clean them. Or you can replace them which is more expensive than buying bags anyway. :iiam:

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

The Dyson turbinehead is seriously worthless garbage.

• Locked thread