Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

Billy Gnosis posted:

Yeah its going to be another Therese and Mike "Depravity's Rainbow" episode, which was OK last time, but definitely not the Best Show. I think last time Mike talked about his shoplifting days which was entertaining.

I usually skip these if I have other podcasts to catch up on, but they're still pretty good. I enjoyed the Spin article as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

hohum posted:

So yeah, the first show I listened to was the last show posted inthe archives (October 18th) and the first 24 minutes of the show was crappy intro music.

:\

The first time I listened to the show it was the podcast version and I was surprised to hear 3 intro songs in a row. Since they take the licensed music out, the themes that are spaced out in the normal show just play back to back to back. Honestly, if it hadn't been a show where Tom talks before the intro and I could already tell I liked him I might have given up right then. Thank god for the iphone's 'jump back 30 seconds' button, because it's really hard to scroll accurately past something on a 3 hour timeline.

Also, don't start with the October 18th show. It's not even the Best Show, just a couple of fill-in hosts (the AP/call-screener of the normal show and another WFMU dj).

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
Speaking of which, if there are any new listeners who haven't seen what Spike looks like, you are in for a surprise:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hxv-RR2biYo

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

WoG posted:

You know about the half-speed / quarter-speed / fine scrubbing, right?

I did not know that! Unfortunately it doesn't work in third-party apps like WFMU or This American Life (which is where you really need it because they don't save your place like the itunes player does), but that should come in handy. Thanks!

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
Speaking of the archives, does anyone know of a way to download the old episodes? For some reason everything older than 2 years is a RealMedia file. I tried doing some research about how to convert them but didn't find anything. I did find a torrent but there haven't been any seeders since I've found it.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

GoutPatrol posted:

I wonder what happened to Milo. He has kinda disappeared.

I think his dad got mad at Tom on facebook and the FOT board for some reason. I'm not sure whether it was Tom or him who got Mylo to stop calling. He did make a brief reappearance as a couple of characters after he had stopped calling every week. I really like the way Tom interacts with kids and wish that more would call the show. Their conversation styles usually mesh and kids don't have an agenda like some of the regular callers.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
Ban resolution details have been released on Twitter.

Tom posted:

Here is my proposal to resolve the ban. No more than two regular callers are allowed to call per week. The individual cannot call in concurrent weeks.

As for the fate of The Puppet, here is what I propose. This might seem radical, but I think it will fix the Larger Problems. Larger Problem #1: Wally is no longer a fun-loving puppet. He is a felt handgun ready to go off at any time. Larger Problem #2: There needs to be a distance between Wally and his owner. Therefore I propose that I gain temporary - but COMPLETE - control over Wally for one month. I will be his sole operator. And I will NOT do anything that is untoward with Wally. I will rehabilitate his image, restoring him to the Puppet we all fell in love with. I would request that Wally's operator create a NEW puppet to channel all of his neuroses into. This puppet will be an ADULT THEMED PUPPET a la Larry David or a Woody Allen, from which neuroses will be acceptable and even entertaining. When I determine that Wally is fully rehabbed and his owner is ready to maintain PROPER control of his fun-loving self, he will be returned.

I understand this plan requires a fair amount of trust re: the Puppet and his owner. But I swear I will do right by him. Now all we await is an answer from The Puppet. All of this is theoretical until he says yes or no. And it is HIS choice. So let him make it. And I put forth this decision with nothing but love and respect for both The Puppet and the Puppet's operator. And as a bonus I will follow the Puppet on Twitter if he agrees to these terms. And I will give the Puppet's operator a TEN DOLLAR GIFT CARD from PANERA BREAD if he agrees to this proposal. I don't want people getting their hopes up. It is not up to me. Although I will proceed with Willy Wackoman if this proposal is rejected.

Tom controlling Wally will be amazing.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

F.F. Woodycooks posted:

According to the FOT boards, there's really no evidence of this besides the fact that PFT and Scharpling aren't following each other on Twitter anymore and Tom keeps leaving out the Pod F. Tompkast out of his approved podcasts.

Yeah, I realize it's nothing more than idle speculation but that would really suck if true. Hopefully if they do have issues it's just from working together and they can resolve it with some time and space. PFT is a big part of the Best Show to me. The first week I listened was the Gathering of the Juggalos episode. And God forbid Tom and Jon ever have a falling out...

Yes, I realize how dumb it is to be worrying about the friendship status of two people I've never met (on an internet forum with people I've never met).

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

COUNTIN THE BILLIES posted:

Well, I'm gonna respect Tom's privacy and not get into it. I'll just say some real creeps on another board also noticed that Tom and PFT's significant others also stopped following each other. FOTs are creepy.

Anyway, 2012 Best Show! Onward and upward!

I went to that board out of curiosity after Tom brought it up on Twitter. Then I thought about how the people posting over there are adults who can drive and vote and now I'm worried for our future. I guess whenever you do something for a lot of people there are bound to be weirdos, but Jesus.

If you really want to check it out... http://www.c-town.us/chinatown

The Christmas episode was great, and I think Mike should be drunk every week.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

Yannick_B posted:

One of them a squirrel! Any additional detail about Vance's life is pretty funny but all Wally can do is defend himself or moan about comic books and puppets.

I haven't heard this week's episode, but every time Wally is on it kills me. He seems so close to understanding what he's doing wrong and loosening up, but then he just has to go back and respond to one joke Tom makes at his expense and it starts all over again. I loved him when he first came around at the beginning of the protege search and when he was in-studio with H-man, but lately he seems intent on eliminating any goodwill anyone had for him.

On a non-puppet topic, I thought it was really great last week when Tom addressed the other board. I wouldn't have thought any good could come from acknowledging people like that and admitting being bothered by it, but he found a really graceful way to do it. Also, I love when he talks to children, and you could tell he was really touched when that kid named his D&D characters after Dogmo. Those moments really reflect for me how TBS is so much more than a weekly comedy show.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
The best part is when Z-man calls in as himself. As he gets more flustered he starts sounding more like the puppet.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
I think he mentioned it a few weeks ago, and he was wrapping it up. All the songs are done.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

Groucho Marxist posted:

Holy crap I had no idea that Terre T was Jillian Barberie

Yeah, I don't think he's ever mentioned it on the show, and I can't remember how I finally figured it out. It also explains why he promotes Cherry Blossom Clinic so much.

Haven't had a chance to listen to the marathon yet, but I sent my $80 pledge in last night :smugdog:

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
Gary the Squirrel is on Julie Klausner's How Was Your Week Oscar show. It's pretty great, though with Mike absent there are no beans for Gary to bust.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

DangerDummy! posted:

Great Best Show last week. Laughed like a jackass at work way too many times. It was great to hear Matt "Toilet Mouth" Walsh again, but the subtle shot at Paul Tompkins was a little sad.

Yeah, that was kind of sad, but at least Tom sounds like he's not as broken up about it anymore. We'll probably never know what happened and I'm fine with that. I'd hate to find out that Tom or PFT did something horrible to the other person and have it affect my enjoyment of either's comedy.

In any case, Tom with something to prove is the best Tom and the shows from the last few months have been great without guests. Though I wouldn't complain about an in-studio appearance by John Hodgman, Patton Oswalt, and/or Zach G. Hopefully he can get his health issues worked out, too.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
I assume the station could be fined if Tom isn't fast enough on the trigger to bleep it out.

Fun fact: my college radio station got their FCC license suspended because DJs used a 'code' to sell drugs on the air. I guess the code was pretty obvious, though. By the time the suspension was over there were too many stations in the area so I didn't get the college radio DJ experience. :smith:

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

Billy Gnosis posted:

Another Tomless week apparently. Hosted by Hatch this time, last time it was pretty entertaining as I've said previously, but the Low Times crew won't be there this time I think.

Another week for me to catch up on the rest of my podcasts. I know the guest hosts mean well, but I just can't do 3 hours of call-in radio with lower standards for the callers AND no Tom to hold it together. Obviously I don't hold it against him at all, though, and I hope he takes as much time as he needs to feel better.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
I'm hoping Fredericks calls in tonight with news/personal stories about this dude...

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/08/07/13163517-man-arrested-in-florida-with-fake-military-ids-uniforms-ammunition

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

Groucho Marxist posted:

The Albini call was so drat bizarre

Yeah, it was like he was almost in on the joke but not quite. Unlike the 2 Live Crew call where the guy had no idea.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
The BEST Show on WFMU: I Think Tom Means It This Time...

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
It's a milestone in every Best Show fan's journey when he finds out what Spike really looks like. I used to picture him looking like Tobin Bell!

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

NESguerilla posted:

I'm usually always on team scharpling but it's ridiculously childish that he frequently makes public passive aggressive comments about PFT and then refuses to say what even happened.

Well, I'm not sure coming out and talking about their personal business would be the best idea either. I think I remember that PFT is responsible for getting a thread on the topic shut down at AST, so it seems like he's the catalyst behind whatever happened (or at least the one who severed the ties) as well as the person who doesn't want to talk about it at all. It just seems like Tom was blindsided by the end of one of his closest friendships and may not know exactly how to deal with it. In any case, it's a sad situation all around. The Best Show introduced me to PFT, and listening to him make appearances on other shows isn't as fun to me any more. It's kind of like a couple of your friends going through a divorce, as strange as that may sound.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
You guys are right. In any case, I'm about halfway through this week's podcast. The 'Uncle Crizzle' guy used to write for the Raleigh newspaper. I have no idea whether he was doing a (bad) bit or his call was unintentionally that bad.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

plastered quack posted:

An article about WFMU's costs post-Sandy:

I hope Tom can pull off another successful fundraiser :(

Wow. I hope they can pull through this. I threw some money their way last week (went for the Terre T premium since I already have the Best Show one coming) but I had no idea it was that bad.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
It still amazes me that Nardwuar is a real guy rather than a Wurster character.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

GraPar posted:

Good interview: http://www.avclub.com/articles/scharpling-wurster-pick-their-favorite-best-show-g,91510/

Also, in that they mention the Bruce Springsteen biographer call that came up in Best Show Gems a few weeks back and I don't think got mentioned in this thread, but is an all time classic.

Man, AV Club commenters really took that ribbing last week personal.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
I heard the show is just going to be 3 hours of Ziggy's classic rock covers from now on.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

COUNTIN THE BILLIES posted:

Hope everyone pledged!

Done! I had to email it in last week because I can't listen live, so I don't think my name got on the radio.

Speaking of which, I think this is the first year I'm actually listening to the marathon shows since I now have a podcast app where I can easily skip over the thanks.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

NESguerilla posted:

I hope Nathan Fielder starts calling in more. I love that dude, but he pretty much just calls in to talk about his show. I hope he doesn't just disappear after promoting himself like Jim Gaffigan does.

I'd love to hear him in-studio taking calls.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

SinetheGuy posted:

So did the RSS feed change, or is there some other reason we're a week out without last week's episode getting released?

Tom was out last week, though normally the replacement shows get uploaded so I dunno. I usually use those weeks as a chance to get caught up on my other shows, anyway.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
I listened to part of this week's episode in the car with my wife, and it happened to be during the Frankie Teardrop/ Pigpen audio collage. I highly recommend trying this with someone who has never listened to the show before.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
I haven't heard this week's episode yet, but man...

I'm just glad that it's ending on a peak. I'm assuming the last episode may be one last Christmas party? Somehow it's comforting to me that the show will be ending before he stops playing Led Zeppelin.

Once it's over I still have 9 more years of shows to go through. Anyone know how to convert .ram files to mp3?

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9N3MacZfwg

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
So during a Twitter Q and A this weekend Tom kind of hinted at a possible tour of some sort and that would be amazing.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
So in an attempt to brighten what might be a bit of a sad day for some of us, here's an archive of some of the older shows. It's not mine, but I don't think it's supposed to be private or secret. A lot of the pre-2006 shows are missing, but I finally figured out a reasonably easy & fast way to convert the Real Player streams to mp3 using Net Transport and VLC. If anyone has a place to host them I can upload as I go along or we could divide the labor. I'm hoping there's an official archive in the works (maybe a final WFMU premium?) but this will do for now.

Also, tonight will be the first show I've ever listened to live.

The Bunk fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Dec 17, 2013

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
Alternate link if anyone is still having issues with the stream:

http://t.co/lvgpukYXQY

Edit: beaten

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
James's final revenge.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

Roosevelt posted:

i was having connection problems too. has spike called in yet?

Nope

Edit: We're killing the streams.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
"Yahweeeeh"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007