Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

CaptainPsyko posted:

Wait what? Link? Date? It's looking increasingly unlikely that I can use my ticket to the show in philly, which makes me sad and angry, but Durham this winter might be doable...

http://motorcomusic.com/events/

Saturday Feb 27, 2016

PS it's Durham, NC. Sorry if I got any New Hampshirite's hopes up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
Tickets acquired :hellyeah:
I hope they'll serve CoCoNut Water at the show.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
After listening for so long it's hard for me to point out 'highs and lows' like it would be for something like SNL. It's all The Best Show to me. I do wonder if Tom would have gone to Earwolf or Maxfun if he had it to do over again, though since they're both California based it's not like he could have used their studios or anything.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

I wish this had been released on Tuesday.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
This week I pulled a Tom on a telemarketer at work and it felt really good :

"I was talking to your coworker and we got disconnected, so I was wondering if I could talk to you instead."

"Wait, what happened before?"

"I said I got disconne-"

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
Looks like the Bob Mould tour ended last night. I've been missing the Wurster calls so hopefully we'll get one tomorrow.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
FYI from the FOT board:

Mike posted:

I took the week off for a prior commitment (job related). I wasn't benched.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
Yetta died :(

@juliefromcinci posted:

Just had to say goodbye to the best dog in the world.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
I'm a little behind, but Dania was right. They really need to get a compressor so I can stop having to turn my stereo up 10 db just to hear. It wouldn't be $20k either, what the hell Dudio.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
The first time Jo Firestone was on the show I thought she was a Mary Houlihan character.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

The Berzerker posted:

I thought Nellie McKay was a character

Wait yeah that's who I meant instead of Jo Firestone.

Also I had never heard of Nardwuar when he called into the show for the first time, and it blew my mind when I found out he wasn't a JW character.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

Vat of Lead posted:

Does anyone know the secret to downloading the WFMU episodes as real media or mp3 or whatever format from the archive? The streaming player is bumming me out

https://mega.nz/#F!IhMUHSbT!bd9x_zzfj2lFfm8_dkvD_A

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
I can't be the only one who thought the Burlington Coat Factory dude with a disability was going to be the e-cigarettes for legs guy, can I?

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
New episode of the Mark and Tom Show is up on WTF's feed, too.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

quote:

scharpling ‏@scharpling 7h7 hours ago
I was in a car accident driving home from The Best Show. Car is totaled. Im okay, seriously lucky to be alive. I thought I was dead, no joke

gently caress Tuesday.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
And now I'll be able to put on my tombstone that I was the second person to support The Best Show's Patreon (after @sparkiepop).

https://www.patreon.com/TheBestShow/

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
First Patreon reward is up - an audio AMA with Tom & Jon.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

Dr.Radical posted:

So I watched the pilot ep of Budding Prospects and it's making me wonder if Tom actually saw it and didn't want to call the guy who said she was really great in it a creep because it would entail mentioning that the main thing of Clare O'Kane's part is her not having any pants or underwear on or if he has not actually seen it.

IIRC it was a bit of a running gag the previous time she was on and Jon Wurster's character references it at one point.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

Dr.Radical posted:

I don't recall that at all. Was this within the past few months? Because I guess the show came out in March of this year.

It looks like it was the April 12 episode.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
I thought it was a Trader Joe's cheesecake.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

Seltzer posted:

This is exactly why it's a good idea. A lot of people like this are out there. Not saying it's a bad thing it's just a fact. Chasing "purity" while pissing away 75% of what you could be earning on your show is just foolishness. I always thought a good compromise would be tom simply recreating a two week long listener pledge drive like he did at WFMU. It would be organic, give people a reason to pledge and call, and probably raise a bunch of money. I think tom's part of the drive alone used to rake in something like 250k for wfmu.

The Patreon is currently at $280k/year though. I wonder how the number of people donating compares to the WFMU days - the Patreon is at 2,837 so right around $100/year per person.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

Thom and the Heads posted:

anyone who mentions steven universe should get dropped immediately

It wouldn’t be so bad if Tom didn’t pull punches with them. He’s made good radio out of plenty of bad callers, but he should feel like he can call them out when they’re lovely.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

Toebone posted:

Tom good, Laurie good, Cat bad.

Yeah

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
Alright, which one of you guys is Justin Mets?

quote:

i get a bad taste in my mouth when white noise callers call in week after week offering nothing of substance but alas, it is not my show or my call.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
I live near Durham and will be taking donations to go see a Laurie standup set.

I hope Tom comes back soon or at least they figure out the Toronto connection quality issues.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

Asnorban posted:

Is that real? And where is it?

Not yet, though she has mentioned wanting to get into comedy. The joke she workshopped on the call this week does not make me optimistic about her chances of success.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
I still think about the random Kermit Gosnell namedrop that made it into a call a couple of years ago. I don't even remember the context.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
What a historic show last night. I love that vaping was the thing that finally pushed Tom over the edge into dropping an f-bomb on mic.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
She’s going to have to do a lot worse for me to not still appreciate her extended Manson riffs with Tom.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
I've thought about how cool it would be to have a graphical representation of every sound collage that shows each clip on a timeline as well as clip source, date of first appearance, number of appearances, etc. I have no relevant knowledge on how to accomplish this, though.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

veni veni veni posted:

Someone needs to teach AP mike how spoilers work. His idea of not spoiling something seems to be totally spoiling it but being coy about it lol. Thanks for ruining the mccmilions finale dude.

Thanks for the heads up. I held off listening until I finished McMillions. He also spoiled the end of Uncut Gems before I had the chance to see it.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
I’m sure Tommy Stinson will be a great guest once he finds the studio.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
Show’s on hiatus per Twitter and Patreon update. The FB group has been a shitshow (more than usual) the past few days, too - no idea if it’s related. I guess I’ll start my archive listen up again.

E:fb

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
The Mega archive of the WFMU years is still up if anyone else wants to go back. I didn't make it very far during the WFMU->Podcast break so I still have ~7 years of shows before I get to where I started listening (my first ep was Gathering of the Juggalos with PFT!)

https://mega.nz/folder/IhMUHSbT#bd9x_zzfj2lFfm8_dkvD_A

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
Brief Patreon update today:

Tom posted:

Best Show Update 7-5-20
Hey, it's Tom. Thanks for all the kind words over the Best Show hiatus. I appreciate all of the positive feedback and love. I'm still figuring things out; I'm dealing with a lot of personal stuff as well as trying to finish the book I've been working on, all the while dealing with the world being turned upside down.

A copule things: as I stated all of the money that comes in through the Patreon is going to charity. I am covering monthly costs, but trust me - I'm not making a cent off the show until the Best Show is back. All the money goes to charity til we are back.

Here are the charities the money was given to throughout the month of June:

ACT BLUE https://secure.actblue.com/donate/ab_mn

TAKE ACTION MINNESOTA https://takeactionminnesota.org

SUPPORT MINNEAPOLIS SANCTUARY HOTEL

https://www.gofundme.com/f/sanctuar...ontent=internal

RAINN https://www.rainn.org

GLITS. https://www.glitsinc.org/about

COMMUNITY FOOD BANK OF NJ https://cfbnj.org

The show will return. Not sure when but it will. Nothing gets in the way of me and The Best Show, baby! Thanks for your patience and understanding.

If any of this doesn't work for you, drop me a line. I'm overwhelmed with personal stuff but I want to try to make it right for everyone. And if you want to leave or take your money somewhere else, please do! No hard feelings ever. We all gotta do what we gotta do to stay alive right now and to do the same for others.

Tom

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

quote:

Everyone -

Thank you for your patience with me. I apologize for not being as vocal as I would've liked to have been on this platform.

I have been buried writing this book but the good news it I am finished with the latest draft. The book was without a doubt the hardest thing I have ever done in my professional life and one of the hardest things in any capacity. It took so much out of me but I'm extremely proud of it and according to the handful of people that have read it, it's THE BEST BOOK THAT HAS EVER BEEN WRITTEN.

All kidding aside, it's funny and more than just funny. I worked as hard as I could to make it special and I'm excited for it to come out next year so you can all see what I was blathering about.

I also spent the last month working on a video for the band the Postal Service. We made a sequel to the "Postal Service Auditions" video from seven years ago, but this time the goal was to promote effective voting. We got a lot of people to contribute their time and talent in the name of a good cause. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkF-Njy3Te8&feature=youtu.be !

Now that these things are relatively under control, here's the news in a nutshell:

1) The Best Show will come back in October. It is time. I am currently figuring out studio stuff and hardware stuff so we can do it right. But it's coming back. Thanks for being patient. I have a lot I want to accomplish with it!

2) SO FAR, etc: The bonus shows will happen Probably the CSNY one first, but we will see. I know I dropped the ball with this stuff but all I can say is that the pressure of the book combined with real world horrors and personal things made the act of doing The Best Show difficult. But I still believe in it and I will continue to do it. Thanks again for the patience.

3) Donations: As I said, I am not keeping any of the money that the Patreon brought in while there were no new Best Shows. I have been donating money to a variety of charities over the last couple months and I will list them on the page over the next week or so. The info is all over the place so I want to get it right. Hang tight and know that I don't take your donations for granted. The money will either go to The Best Show or it will get put to work helping people.

4) Double Threat: I am doing a podcast with Julie Klausner on the Forever Dog network called DOUBLE THREAT. It has been fun and it helped me hold onto my sanity while I figured out all things book and Best Show. Double Threat is going to continue and it will be a brother/sister to The Best Show.

Thanks again for the support and caring and kind words. And remember IT IS CALLED THE BEST SHOW FOR A REASON.

Peace and love, peace and love -

Tom

https://youtu.be/nNrSISR8o2E

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

veni veni veni posted:

Did he do something heinous after his initial somewhat tone deaf comment that made the mutants of Facebook want to saw his head off? What is this stuff about him supporting profiling muslims? That's new to me.

I remember him posting ‘gently caress Islam’ on twitter after (I think) the Bataclan terrorist attack in 2015. Not sure if there was something more recent.

edit: just realized that was 5 years ago today. weird.

Glad the show’s back. Glad So Far is back and wonder if it will continue with or without Mike. Looking forward to seeing the insane poo poo CSNY did in the 80s.

The Bunk fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Nov 13, 2020

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
Read about half of the book so far. Not going to spoil anything but there are definitely some surprises even if you’re a longtime fan of the show. It’s really good!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

Dr.Radical posted:

That’s why the mix sucks?

Everyone who knows how to mix is holding an instrument.