Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
The Newbridgeverse is fantastically insane. I'm surprised that with all the big-name comedians on his show all the time that there hasn't been a pilot for a sitcom written by Scharpling set in Newbridge.

CaptainPsyko posted:

Edit: We should probably put together a simple 'Getting Up To Speed with The Show' FAQ for new listeners to the OP. Basic stuff like 'Who is this Wurster dude?', 'What's the Ban?', and 'Why are all of these callers so dumb?' and introductions of a few of the more regular cast of characters would be a good start.

I had actually been working on an OP for Best Show and I was planning to include all of that, but never finished it because holy goddamn that would be alot of poo poo to write out (plus this thread got posted first, there goes my monopoly on WFMU threads.)

Anyway, if you want to look at it and use some of it to make an FAQ, be my guest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
That's usually how it is, Tom will generally play a bunch of songs at the top of the show. If you want a music-free version go with the podcast, they have to edit out the music for licensing reasons.

Roosevelt posted:

Have any of you guys ever called in? I've thought about it before but Tom scares me.

I don't have the guts. Maybe I'll practice on Seven Second Delay first, Ken and Andy are usually dying for calls.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

HaterBaby posted:

Has anybody figured out a way to get the mp3's off the archives from before six weeks ago or whatever the cutoff is? I'd like to listen to the June 15, 2010 episode mentioned above but I can't sit at my computer for three hours to do it. I would hope that this isn't illegal since it's not a for-profit radio station.
The podcasts go back at least a year and are mp3 format.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
I know I'm late on this since I am a podcast listener but philly boy roy goes to London is one of my favorite wurster bits in recent memory.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
Alright it's go time.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/marathon-2012

I am not sure why Tom is wearing a jumpsuit.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
I almost missed it too.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

SansWetware posted:

Stickles has no beard because of something pretty wild. He got electrified by his mic and it singed and ruined it. He was in the hospital for it and stuff.

With how much the studio microphone was actually inside his mouth during his performance I am somehow not surprised.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
Wow a total of 206k. Tom raised over 1/6th of WFMU's total goal.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
I just saw Tom pour his heart into Killing in the Name Of during the marathon finale. I never thought he would actually do it.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
Overall I think the Wurster bits used to be alot funnier back in like 08 when I first started listening HOWEVER I cannot hate Wuster, ever. Even on his worst days he makes me laugh.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

shut up netface posted:

I have recently discovered Spike's facebook acct

EDIT: http://www.facebook.com/Soapking1965?fref=nf_fr

For those of us who are new, Spike is a regular caller.

Believe it or not, Spike is actually a large middle aged black homosexual man, rather than the fat, tiny bald white guy. And yes, that is John Wesley Shipp.

Holy poo poo WHAT

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
Are they gonna Ustream a video feed of the Best Show tonight? I haven't seen any video feeds of the marathon so far.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
I hope so. Tom deserves it and the Gethard Brothers are two of my favorite callers.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
Oh poo poo. Why is it all the good WFMU shows have to end.

Except Seven Second Delay which I was certain was going to end years ago, but you know whatever I ain't gonna complain about that one.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
Tom Scharpling and Jon Wurster have in fact pulled me out of depression before by being hilarious so yeah I'm taking this pretty hard too.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

SuppressdPuberty93 posted:

I'm a cuple episodes behind on the podcast, has Tom reveiled what he's going to do after the show? Is he going to TV?

Tom's actually already getting his foot in the door, he's a voice actor on Steven Universe, he plays Steven's dad.

Also Chris Gethard's announcement was that TCGS is going to be filming a pilot for comedy central so that's cool.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
I'm not quite ready to call Newbridge dead yet. Not sure what format it'll take but apparently Newbridge will never die.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
I usually don't get to listen live so I'm glad I'm here for this.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
I am actually holding back tears right now oh my god.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

GimpChimp posted:

Hahaha Tom Waits fakeout.

Beautiful.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
I'm sitting here in silence not knowing what to do with myself. I know if I put on music I'll invariably go for Superchunk or The Mountain Goats and that'll just make me feel even worse.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
My favorite Scharpling musical number is when he did Killing in the Name during the 2012 marathon finale

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

Billy Gnosis posted:

Just out of curiosity, did the Mit Hamine guy call in the last few months or did he finally move on?

IIRC he was 100% permanently banned from calling in the summer. So either he gave up or AP Mike was keeping him out.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
Also does anyone know what episode it was where the Wurster call had a detailed retelling of the Trent L. Strauss directed final episode of Laverne and Shirley (It only aired once!)

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

Snowy posted:

If you're interested in Dave Hill's show and don't hate Seven Second Delay, the last episode has Dave as a guest and serves as his intro to the station. Dave does well with this trial by fire, and won me over with his vast knowledge of 80's rock guitarists along with his good manners.

http://www.wfmu.org/playlists/sd

caller: what's your background in radio?
Dave: I got here at 5:30

I seem to be the only person that actually LIKES seven second delay on earth so yes I agree.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
I'm so excited I bought a new forums avatar.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
He's mayor of MY HEART okay

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
So I guess they're not going to California then? I mean it doesn't make a ton of difference, really.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

CaptainPsyko posted:

I took that quote to mean that Scharpling and Wurster still probably won't curse, but he's not going to waste time yelling at guests and callers about it.

"I had to bleep you" was one of my favorite running jokes in Wurster calls though, I wonder how that'll be handled now.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
guess who has dish network and literally can't watch cartoon network right now

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
Seeing as how I am in the I cant watch it on the adult swim website either boat, I went ahead and put it up on dailymotion http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x29aun7_newbridge-tourism-board-newbridge-we-re-comin-to-get-ya_fun

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
He did an interview on WPRB in Princeton as well, I'm listening to it right now. http://keepingscoreathome.com/?p=2467

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
It sounds about the same as it did in the Best Show Gems intro soundbyte.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
aaaaaaaaaaaand the site's down.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

picosecond posted:

I'm in, still just getting a heartbeat tho'

Don't refresh because you'll get a 500 error.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
i know he's using livestream, anyone got a direct link to the livestream channel?

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

sweet it works

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
if you wanna undo that just refresh the page iirc

as an lp goon i cant in good conscience reccomend livestream for anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

CaptainPsyko posted:

PLEASE LET THE FIRST CALL BE SPIKE.

I had this exact same thought and then was very upset when i realized Coco from The Ettes was coming in through Skype and it sounded horrible.