Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
The Gary bits have been good lately. I always like it when Mike talks to him. I'd like to hear some more of Vance, too.

As far as the PFT feud, I love Tom but I get the feeling that he might not be the easiest dude to work with. Yeah, the way he acts on radio is just a persona but I wouldn't be surprised if the lines get blurred sometimes. It seems like he would get work easier considering he wrote and executive produced a really popular show for what? 8 seasons? The only thing I can imagine that would get in his way would be reputation. That's all speculation from someone not in the business, though.

Edit: And oh my god that Mit Hamine stuff... When Tom played a bunch of little snippets from their record on the radio I was shocked at how bad it was. I did think it was pretty hilarious when the dude from Mit Hamine called and bitched at Tom for not listening to it yet. "We sent you a record about a month ago, free of charge...."

Dr.Radical fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Apr 6, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

Satire Forum Mom posted:

And Tom was really rude to Micky Dolenz, too.

Namaste.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Well then I guess it's a mystery and we'll never know! It's kinda dumb that he keeps bringing it up in semi-vague ways on the show if he doesn't want to talk about it, though.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Do you think when Patton Oswalt's special was over tonight, Tom lunged for the remote or do you think he watched PFT's special while seething with rage?

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
I was always really irritated with the Mit Hamine dude. Something about the way he talks just bugs the hell out of me. I don't really feel sorry for him, though, because if you call in to the show to promote your stupid band, you should be completely ready for Tom to trash it. God his band is awful, too. There was something satisfying about him calling in and getting yelled at and hung up on, though.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Tom is complaining on Twitter about someone threatening him and Twitter doing nothing about it. I wonder if Mit Hamine has something to do with it?

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

Billy Gnosis posted:

It was really good, but I think I was and am still a bit more worried about Chris Gethard's terrible plan to get to Bonnaroo.

Yeah, the whole plan is kind of frightening but you gotta love how appropriate it is considering his book's title.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

NESguerilla posted:

The time travel call was definitely one of his best ever.

I think my favorite of all I've heard was one from last year where Wurster calls in as a guy living with his psychotic grandmom (It's grandmom!). There has to/needs to be an archive of just the Wurster calls some place.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

Dr.Radical posted:

I think my favorite of all I've heard was one from last year where Wurster calls in as a guy living with his psychotic grandmom (It's grandmom!). There has to/needs to be an archive of just the Wurster calls some place.

And now after talking about that, I really want to hear it again but haven't been able to find which one it was. Anyone have any idea? It's driving me crazy!

Edit: Nevermind, it's the call where one of Tom's former high school classmates calls about their high school reunion.

Dr.Radical fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Aug 6, 2012

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

Binowru posted:

This only goes back to 2009 but it's basically exactly what you're asking for: http://wfmu.org/playlists/BD

I knew about that, but I'm talking about a comprehensive list like this:http://buffcoat.blogspot.com/

Only with links to the calls.

Edit: Links to JUST the calls, I mean. I guess it isn't too hard to find the calls on the Best Show archives but I'd like to download a bunch of them and listen to them on my ipod.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Didn't he say a few weeks back that they were doing 15 more Best Shows? His tone and the way he said it sounded pretty drat sincere to me. I've heard him talk about quitting plenty of times and this was not like the usual "Geez, I think this is my last show, Mike." Not sure if that 15 more shows thing means he's going to take a break and then do the rest or what, but I don't think that was 15 weeks ago. I mean, he's been doing the show for over 10 years. I don't think it's completely out of the question that he would want to hang it up.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

NESguerilla posted:

This is pretty much why I was saying something about it should be in the op.

As in I'm taking an offhand comment to be true or as in because he said it sincerely? Because like I said, what he said a few weeks ago was nowhere near like what he usually says.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

NESguerilla posted:

The former. It sounds just like his usual schtick to me.

Well I guess we'll have to see! I hope you're right.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Speaking of Twitter, Tom was really butt-hurt about Garry Shandling. Can't wait for his rant next time he does the Best Show.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

NESguerilla posted:

I'm not on twitter. Recap?

Tom tweeted a question to Garry Shandling about the Larry Sanders Show, Shandling ignored him at first, Tom kept asking him, Shandling basically told him to gently caress off, Tom complained about it for a day or two and said he's going to really let Shandling have it next time he's on the radio.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Yes, it's a Best Show and Tom is starting it by encouraging us to drink alcohol and smoke weed. Sorry Tom but I don't have either of those things right now. :(

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
I know they can raise $250,000. Didn't Tom alone do $300,000 one year? Or wasn't that for just one show? I can't remember. Anyway, I feel like people would be more likely to give when the station is really in trouble than during a normal fundraiser. All that being said, I'm going to donate $50 with my next paycheck and get what I'm sure is a delightful shirt.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

CaptainPsyko posted:

Woollery made a bunch of vague claims that Tom associates with/gives aid and comfort to, in his words "Wife-beaters".

Edit: https://twitter.com/chuckwoolery/status/270901840890183681

Well I do remember Tom being happy that the Mavs won the NBA championship and he couldn't think of anyone else in the NBA who deserves it more than Jason Kidd..... ;)

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Can you not hear the music when you're calling in or something? The Bad Company thing always works, no one ever realizes what's going on.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
201-DEADHUG is loving hilarious. Hope it sticks.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
I have to agree with Terre T. One of the best parts of the show is Tom yelling at and hanging up on bad callers. I think the quality of calls by ladies is pretty much the same as dudes so by that measure there should still be plenty of hang ups. As far as I can remember there was not a single heave ho and that just does not add up.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Pretty big LOL at one of the guests this week bringing up Paul F. Tompkins twice without realizing the falling out. "Have you heard Paul F. Tompkins impression of Tom Berenger lately?" "No, not LATELY."

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Unless you want to get hung up on as a badge of honor or something, I really do not understand how often people fall for it when they say "Oh I thought you'd hang up on me" or "I just don't want to be hung up on" and then Tom says "What? What did you say? You don't what what to happen?" and then the person repeats themselves and Tom hangs up on them. REALLY? How many times have you listened to the show? Twice? Do you really not know what he's doing?

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

het posted:

Hahaha James is back on this week's half hour of power

Thank god! I love how it clearly bugs Tom but he tries to act like it doesn't. We just need to get Spike back.

Edit: I also like how after the original ban on regular callers a couple years ago, they just seemed to have mostly stopped calling on their own with an exception or two. Most of them were not really very interesting.

Dr.Radical fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Mar 19, 2016

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
The Garry Shandling grudge was always hilarious to me because all it stemmed from was him being kind of rude to Tom on Twitter but it was fuel for multiple rants.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

Bundt Cake posted:

He was a dick to him. Gary Shandling was a dick

Don't speak ill of the dead.

Does anyone else have the weird feeling that the first caller who had a son in Richmond, Virginia was Zach from Mithamine's mom?

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

Weembles posted:

Tom and Jo(h)n Daly were on the Comedy Bang Bang that came out today.

Highlights include Tom swearing and Jon improvising a new "look it up Scotty" song.

At the end they mention that they weren't recording it in the normal location. Possibly so they wouldn't run into Paul F. Tompkins? :tinfoil:

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Woah. This is one of the best episodes I have heard. This proves to me how feel-good shows like those in No Dude November were just snooze-fests. Tom needs to get mad, it's a necessity for the show.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

WrathOfBlade posted:

That guy was the worst. (I hope he keeps calling)

I wouldn't get in his cab but I always enjoy a caller who doesn't shrink when Tom yells at them.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Also I'd like to suggest renaming the thread "The Best Show: Too Low for Fat Hoes"

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Eeeh, I don't know if they're necessarily better. They have plenty of boring stories that Tom just lets go because he feels he has to be nice to them for some reason. Like the girl who I went to college with who calls in and basically just complains about her migraines. Top notch stuff!

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
The guy who called from Tokyo missed a pretty big chance. For a couple of weeks, a year or two ago Tom kept referring to the band High Rise as some obscure heavy band (I guess he was getting into them? I dunno. Seemed like a weird, specific band to talk about). "Whatcha listening to, champ? Some High Riiiiiise? Listening to some Keiji Haino?"

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Nah the best part of the episode is when Tom indirectly addresses the tweet Mike wrote that upset people. If he moves on and doesn't mention it again, he'll have talked about it (vaguely, of course) less than the Paul F. Tompkins debacle.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Just how the Best Show is inclusive and it's always been and it's his show, not anyone else's. All pretty vague, yeah, but I don't think he would be saying that had Mike not tweeted. And yeah, I'm with Mike here. He knows why tweeting that was bad and why people would be mad at him. I'd be pretty disappointed if he left the show or was forced to leave. I think he'll be back next week, though.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Also I don't really get why he said he's always tried to make the show positive. Like, all the complaining, rants, being a jerk to callers is supposed to be positive? All tremendously funny, I have no problem with any of it, but I wouldn't call it positive outside of the joy it brings people.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
They simultaneously make fun of music snobs and also make jokes that only music snobs would understand so there's really something for everyone in the calls. Shouldn't really matter if you know all the references or not.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

Illinois Smith posted:

I don't think the people he has on the show now are any more really famous than during the WFMU days. Also Tom doing awkward phone interviews isn't a new development. I'm sure the early pages of this thread have plenty of posts bitching about Todd Barry's calls.

When was the Bob Odenkirk call? It was either right before the show ended on WFMU or not too long after they started over.

The Neil Hagerty stuff is pretty boring but I generally enjoy the Kurt Vile talks even though I don't care about his music too much.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Tom and Hayes have a good rapport and can riff on things with each other pretty well which makes for a good guest. What surprised me was how I actually enjoyed Tim Heidecker's call when he wasn't doing a schtick. I find most of his calls to be hacky but maybe that's his meta commentary on hacky comedians. He's just so crazy who knooooows!

I think the show has been more or less good lately. The Wurster calls have been great so that evens out the show topics that are often times not so great. The new crop of regular callers aren't bad either. I like them a lot more than the regular callers from before the ban.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Oh sure, so do I. There were some good regular callers from before but I just prefer the new ones. Every Avalanche Bob call is a gift that we should appreciate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

NESguerilla posted:

Did anyone really stop calling after the Ban other than Laurie and Julie? The only notable post ban regular I can think of is Fred, who is great.

Some of them still called every once in awhile but not almost every week like they used to. I like Fred, Avalanche Bob, Tom has funny rapport with that Holden kid, Toronto's Sex Dwarf Alex is alright. I guess it also depends on what you consider regular.