Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Yes, Wallys meltdown last week was incredible.

Also, Wurster has been on a roll the past few weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

indigi posted:

What's the ban on?

Tom banned all of his regular callers a while back in an attempt to get some fresh blood and shake things up.

This has not stopped some of them from calling occasionally, causing Tom to rule on whether the call was successful or not. Failed calls invoke a reset of the ban to it's original duration for all banned callers. A few weeks back, one of the regulars, who goes by the name of Gregulator went full on pro wrestling villain mode and started talking poo poo about a variety of other regulars.

The call was amazing, the Ban was not reset, and much poo poo was talked about one Wally Wackiman a felt puppet with a creaky high pitched voice.

Wally called the next week (last week), and basically had a 'feltdown' on air. It was pretty amazing, but it was a terrible call. Which brings us to this past Tuesdays show, in which Tom promised a ruling on Wally's terrible call and the status of the ban. I still need to listen to this weeks, so I'll leave it to others to continue the story, or better yet, you should just pick up and listen.

(If you don't want to go too far into the archives, but want to be more or less up to date on current Best Show topics and themes, I'd suggest rewinding to 9/15's episode, with John Hodgman, and listening through to today. That's 5 Best Shows, including Hodgman discussing satanic ritual for fun and profit, two phenomenal Wurster calls and another pretty damned good one, and a rather decent summary of the current status of The Ban for good measure.)

Edit: We should probably put together a simple 'Getting Up To Speed with The Show' FAQ for new listeners to the OP. Basic stuff like 'Who is this Wurster dude?', 'What's the Ban?', and 'Why are all of these callers so dumb?' and introductions of a few of the more regular cast of characters would be a good start.

Chevy Slyme fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Oct 12, 2011

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Mico posted:

The Newbridgeverse is fantastically insane. I'm surprised that with all the big-name comedians on his show all the time that there hasn't been a pilot for a sitcom written by Scharpling set in Newbridge.

He has two projects in development with Comedy Central.

One is the P.F. Tompkins Evil Genius thing, but the other one seems to have no any information on the internet about it at all.

So we can hope!

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

psychicsecession posted:

Does anyone have any recommended episodes/recent Scharpling & Wurster bits? I haven't listened to the Best Show in over a year and I don't know where to start again.

Pulling out a self quote from my earlier wall of text. For recent converts, this is a good place to start getting up to speed:

quote:

(If you don't want to go too far into the archives, but want to be more or less up to date on current Best Show topics and themes, I'd suggest rewinding to 9/15's episode, with John Hodgman, and listening through to today. That's 5 Best Shows, including Hodgman discussing satanic ritual for fun and profit, two phenomenal Wurster calls and another pretty damned good one, and a rather decent summary of the current status of The Ban for good measure.)

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Narwhale posted:

Ban resolution details have been released on Twitter.

Tom controlling Wally will be amazing.

Sadly, Wally has refused.

Skeevy is now the official Best Show Puppet.

Farewell, Wally.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

DangerDummy! posted:

Good. gently caress the puppet.

I like Tom's compromise for the rest of the banned callers, though. I'd say the show is by and large better without them, but I do miss a couple of them from time to time.

Yeah, the thing with the banned callers was they had gotten all kinds of circle jerky and not all that funny, but, at the same time, there was a reason they became regulars in the first place, which is that at some point, they were (mostly) great callers.

The compromise should be a good way to remind them to call judiciously.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

You really don't have any clue how WFMU works, do you?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Wasn't Tompkins Scharplings partner on the pilot he had in development for Conedy Central which died?

Possibly some bad blood over that project?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Languages: American English and Simlish.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

NESguerilla posted:

Is there a reason that they can't just reschedule the record fair for next month?

Hundreds of vendors to coordinate, venue, bands, DJs, etc., etc.

It'd be a shell of itself even if they could get it off the ground.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Groucho Marxist posted:

Tom alluded to Chuck Woolery resorting to some really personal attacks on twitter earlier today. Does anyone have an idea of what happened?

Woollery made a bunch of vague claims that Tom associates with/gives aid and comfort to, in his words "Wife-beaters".

Edit: https://twitter.com/chuckwoolery/status/270901840890183681

Chevy Slyme fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Nov 21, 2012

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

NESguerilla posted:

Also, I don't know if people are joking when they question if he a character or not, but he's most defiantly is a real person. A bunch of people have met him at WFMU events.

They're all just in on the conspiracy. :tinfoil:

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
The Monster Magnet dude did an extended interview with Tom for Low Times last year that was fantastic great stories about growing up in Jersey, Alice Cooper getting in fights with Norman Mailer and pissing away record company money on purpose.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

quote:

STUPID LIFE
Previously announced as A Bad Idea I’m About to Do, this show’s script is based on comedian Chris Gethard’s (The Chris Gethard Show, The Other Guys, This American Life) recent autobiographical book of the same name. Tom Scharpling (The Best Show on WFMU, Monk) is series executive producer and co-creator. Gethard and Scharpling are co-writing the pilot script.

Maybe, possibly, hopefully someday coming to IFC.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
I will probably finally up my donation high enough to get a Best Show premium if next years marathon pack includes an EP of Tom's Frankie Teardrop mashups.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Oh no, the Show is coming to an end. :(

12/17/13. The final Best Show.

What a loving run.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Vertical Lime posted:

I've listened in and out over the past couple of years. I can't believe he means it now. Is there a way for him to go the paid podcast route since that's why he's ending it on WFMU?

I can't see this working. So much of the crazy energy that makes the show work is being live and taking real phone calls.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

The Fenway organ player was on Low Times once. He's in The Baseball Project and is an all around awesome dude and is one of the few redeeming features of The Worst Sports Team On Earth.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
http://www.buzzfeed.com/perpetua/signs-youre-from-newbridge

The #bestshowforlife hashtag on twitter continues to be pretty goddamn awesome.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
The only ending that could ever really for would be for Tom to report live from the Barging of Roy Zeigler.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
I didn't catch the show live last night, but re: Todd Barry;

I like Todd Barry as a comedian, but I hate him as a guest on the Show because he literally only has one joke, and that joke is to relentlessly plug his own poo poo. It just gets old. Hopefully he ceded the floor a bit and just relaxed and was funny given that the show is literally coming to an end, because if not, I'm going to be annoyed that he was allowed to waste half an hour or whatever out of the final 9 hours of the Show we'll ever get.

In other news, here's a short video clip of Tom mixing the sound collage live on air: http://instagram.com/p/hfGqiwjm-Y/ No prerecorded poo poo here!

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Years? It's been 11 months (he was at the 4loko Christmas party last year.)

Ted has been touring and (I think) recording this year, so it's not that strange.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
There was a 2012 party and ted led a singalong.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Ted Leo is back!

Mystery solved.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
A wonderful person recorded Ted Leo and Aimee Mann's tribute song from last night.

https://soundcloud.com/degrell/the-both-untitled-best-show

It's... It's really happening, isn't it? :smith:

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Fogelnest and Daniel Ralston just did a really nice little Best Show retrospective.

Far too short to be anything resembling a comprehensive best of, but it covered a few of my favorite high notes and makes for a fun listen. It includes Tom's now definitive definition of Zappa, as 'getting a prank phone call while listening to a warped/skipping jazz fusion record.'

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Here's a little song that you can listen to to get EXCITED for tonight:

https://soundcloud.com/adam-blau/born-to-run-vs-rock-and-roll

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
I just reread the OP of this thread.

COUNTIN THE BILLIES posted:

At least once every show Tom says he's done, that this is the last show. Stay calm: he's only kidding.

:smith:

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Seltzer posted:

Is the webstream not working for anyone else? The main WFMU page half loads and the webplayer doesn't work at the moment. I guess they're getting hammered from traffic?

It took me a few reloads to get it working. The app works like a treat if you have a device for that as well.

These opening song selections are already a punch in the gut... But impeccably chosen, as always.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

WoG posted:

Grr, the web stream won't load, or drops immediately, and that ustream rebroadcast sounds like poo poo. Podcast it is, I guess.

Try the WFMU app on a mobile device.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Roosevelt posted:

i'm having an out of body experience. i can't believe this is the last time i'm going to hear dave from knoxville call in.

i was having connection problems too. has spike called in yet?

Spike has apparently been avoiding Tom for weeks. :(

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Officer Harrups!

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Calling it, this crime spree is being committed by Roy.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

CaptainPsyko posted:

The only ending that could ever really fit would be for Tom to report live from the Barging of Roy Zeigler.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
I've never heard Gary call Mike by his last name before.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

shut up netface posted:

wow, that was the last time I'll hear Gary The Squirrel. To think I'd miss em.

Somehow, I doubt that this is true.

I am amazed that he let that guy sing for as long as he did.

Chevy Slyme fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Dec 18, 2013

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
That long dump on Roy *terrified* me that I had lost my stream.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
This Robert Fripp material is some of the best I've heard in ages and I could listen to nothing but 90 more minutes of it.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Roosevelt posted:

awww big star...think i'm going to cry you guys

Going to?

Too late.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Weembles posted:

I will never be able to listen to A Prarie Home Companion again without remembering that creepy poem from the sound collage.

It makes me really deeply uncomfortable.