Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
Wally can actually be legitimately funny, check out the episode where he gets into a conversation with a Fredericks soundboard (I think it was the last episode that Jen Kirkman was in studio)

psychicsecession posted:

Does anyone have any recommended episodes/recent Scharpling & Wurster bits? I haven't listened to the Best Show in over a year and I don't know where to start again.

The Best Show Gems podcast is a good way to listen to some classic Wurster calls. The Hammerhead one posted a few weeks ago is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

COUNTIN THE BILLIES posted:

Yeah during the Best Show Live Chat, Spike is always posting lovely liberal macros. I hope he calls into the show again soon. I need his latest take on Jenny from the Bedroom. His rule under the ban right now is, if I remember right, he has to be entertaining within 20 seconds or he's hung up on.

I'm more interested to hear about Catherine Baked Ziti

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

WoG posted:

The gems and albums pretty well cover the wurster characters / newbridgeverse, but anyone have any other recommendations for amazing past eps? (Aside from PFT/juggalo and the four loko party, that is, which were both gold)

I don't know the exact date, but I love the one where Tom and the callers write a song for Ted Leo to play at the end of the show.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Does that mean he's in studio?

het posted:

This one? http://blog.wfmu.org/freeform/2008/06/ted-leo-and-the.html

edit: looks like the links on that page don't work but you should be able to find the show in the archives I think?

Yeah that's it. Just ctrl-f for June 3rd, 2008 in the archive.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

I think I might enjoy Willy Wackoman more than Tom controlling Wally.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Any guesses on who the angry email was from? Judging by the foul language and spelling, I'm saying it was Rogan.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

I thought it was Kevin Smith who wrote the letter. Now, I have no idea... I guess there was a bit of a falling out between Tom and PFT over the new show that isn't happening anymore. Sucks, I hope they get over it.

Any background on this? That really bums me out :(

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Tomorrow's show will rule

@scharpling posted:

Guess who is going to be on The Best Show tomorrow night? @JulieKlausner! Unbelievable, right? ! 9-midnite EST http://t.co/3ikkEveP RT this!

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Tom is a guest on this week's Sklarbro Country if anyone is interested.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

The last 5-10 minutes of Tom doing impressions was incredible. The one caller requesting a PFT impression and being hung up on without Tom saying a word means all the horrible rumors are true though :smith:

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

SansWetware posted:

https://www.wfmu.org/marathon/premium_popup.php?p=699&pr=1

Tom will prolly go over it a time or two more.

(also the lady with the black hair fixing the mic and stuff is Terre T, Tom's wife.)

Holy crap I had no idea that Terre T was Jillian Barberie

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Gary the Squirrel is going to be on the How Was Your Week Oscar recap show :neckbeard:

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

The Pete Seger bit was incredible

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Good Slumlord posted:

Am I alone in disliking Wurster? I've been listening for almost a year now and at this point if not listening to the show live I'll just skip passed his calls. The bits just feel very forced to me, I mean besides being overly long and totally boring.

So I'm alone?
Yes you are you poor soul

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

He probably has a screener or bought Patton's DVD instead

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Bopped by a Squirrel really needs to be on iTunes. I feel like the launch day push really could get it on one of the charts.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

I thought all the Spoonman stuff was gold.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

DangerDummy! posted:

Like any other decent human being, I too find Skip Bayliss irredeemably obnoxious. Still, I think Tom labeling him as "human garbage" and "everything that's wrong with the world" hilariously harsh and unnecessary. I always marvel how Tom can so easily straddle the line between affable and completely vicious.

Skip was the person for the Troy Aikman being gay rumors. Potentially outing someone in public is pretty high on the garbagometer.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Good god did I lose it at the Les from Hardcore Pawn pun

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

You guys are wrong because none of those Wurster calls end with him being laser whipped.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

The Albini call was so drat bizarre

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

NESguerilla posted:

Something should go in the op about Tom fake quitting every week because people keep half believing it.
The part about taking a few weeks off seemed pretty legit.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

The sneak preview of "Beach Weirdo" was fantastic. I can't wait for that.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Can we quit discussing the feud all the time? We are probably never going to find out what happened, and I'm sure neither one of them like people discussing their private affairs. They are two really funny guys who had a falling out. Both of them are still really funny and, by all accounts, super nice people.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Julie Klausner is in studio tonight!

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Best Show Gems just put out what may be my favorite Best Show bit ever, the 2008 Newbridge Mayubernational Debate.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Dr.Radical posted:

I know they can raise $250,000. Didn't Tom alone do $300,000 one year? Or wasn't that for just one show? I can't remember. Anyway, I feel like people would be more likely to give when the station is really in trouble than during a normal fundraiser. All that being said, I'm going to donate $50 with my next paycheck and get what I'm sure is a delightful shirt.

The numbers Tom has raised each year comes from the entire marathon, which lasts a month and takes over two Best Shows. I think they'll hit their goal, but I imagine it's tougher than a normal marathon because a good chunk of their donor base are dealing with hurricane damage and there isn't people who are just renewing their previous monthly pledges from the last year.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Tom alluded to Chuck Woolery resorting to some really personal attacks on twitter earlier today. Does anyone have an idea of what happened?

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Where's last week show on iTunes? Arghhh

Came here to post this and ask if there is a way to download so I can put in on my iPhone. All I can find is streaming of the WFMU website.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

TransatlanticFoe posted:

http://mp3archives.wfmu.org/archive/BS/bs130115.mp3

You can plug the date into that file name to get any show available for streaming, and it actually has the songs from the beginning of each show.

It's actually up on iTunes now, but thanks for the advice in case this happens again.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

They found Tom and Mike's bodies. The cause of death was tainted peanut chews...

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

What a great episode, between making fun of Entourage for half the show and TWO laser whippings.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

75 bucks paid over a year really isn't much at all.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

IFC has been putting a lot into pushing Gethard so I would bet that show is on the fast track. Good for Tom.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

urk the quack posted:

Speaking of guesting on podcasts, Gary the Squirrel is this week's guest (along with Andy Kindler) on The Fogelnest Files.

1:30 in and there's a Bismack Biyombo reference. It's great already.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Hearing Milo call again with his voice changing was kind of crazy.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

I loved hearing people mercilessly tease Nathan Rabin after his little book tour was on every podcast.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

I lost it during the Frankie Teardrop mashup when the brainwashing from The Master played over Street Hassles

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

I hope this means Chris Gethard's show got picked up or something.

e: this is really cool. from the twitter of the Red Sox's organist

Groucho Marxist fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Oct 30, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

I kind of hope that S&W spend the next 7 shows slowly killing off all of Newbridge.