Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
They also have that newer model (Switchback?) with the enormous rear wheel and the retractable passenger seat (that frankly looks like total rear end)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

CombatMedic posted:

My Genuine Harley-Davidson(R) Brand Motor Accessories(R) Buster Sword(R) is on backorder.

Does anyone have a theory why the V-rod line isn't more popular? It's priced close to the Dyna line, yet it has a much more modern engine, lots more HP and torque, not styled like Grandpa's bike, but it is still a Harley.

I feel like if they marketed it as "Not your father's Harley" they might actually sell a few.

Fewer cc's than a Fat Boy so clearly a girl's bike

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
The XR1200X isn't a bad bike for us snotty hipsters, but the performance hit compared to a water-cooled naked and the added cost of all those H-D labels makes it uncompetitive on the merits. Buells may not have been super fast but at least they were cheap.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
When I looked at it vs my Speed Triple, it wasn't just engine performance - you've got, what, a Showa BPF up front but the rest of the running gear isn't close. Non-radial Nissins vs radial Brembos. No available ABS vs ABS. 5-speed vs 6-speed. Standard old Harley swingarm and dual shocks (that do look pretty cool) vs a more modern sportbike setup and a single-sided swingarm. The Harley doesn't even have a fuel gauge, let alone an efficiency meter, shift lights, etc.

Out of your list the Ducati 1100 Evo is the closest engine-wise, and is about the same price, but is loaded up with goodies (slipper clutch, traction control, ABS) - and it's a Ducati. I know this may be blue-blooded American of me but it's like comparing the brand cachet of a Dodge Charger to a Ferrari.

I'm not saying it's a bad bike - it's certainly lustworthy and cool, but for a customer that doesn't care about the name and doesn't absolutely need the look, it either needs more up-to-date competitive features or about a 15-20% lower price.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Of course it is, no one on a Harley debases themselves by turning

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

CombatMedic posted:

What's the best way to pick up a biker slut?

Break up with her daughter

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
It depends on what you're used to riding. The V-Rods are a bit notorious for uncomfortable riding positions. I'd probably stick to the Sporters since they're lightest and most are close to standard ergos. Get a 1200cc for pep if you're worried, get an XR1200X if they have them.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
There's a difference between Buell hate and Buell Blast hate

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
All I've seen from Triumph is some cheap T-shirts and some probably rebranded jackets. Is there some secret treasure trove of shwag that doesn't make it across the pond? Or is just anything with a Union Jack on it automagically Triumphgear?

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Get a bike you want and put a vibrator under the pillion

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
I bought a used pickup truck thinking it had ABS. This was in 2000 or so when ABS on trucks was kind of new, I'd never driven a car with ABS, and the dealer was such a buffoon he possibly didn't know either. This particular truck didn't have an ABS light, it had a brake light that went solid if you had the parking brake on and blinked for an ABS issue (according to the manual, mine obviously never blinked.) I just assumed the system sucked until I looked at a similar model with ABS and noted I was missing parts.

I was an idiot for thinking this, but still managed to drive responsibly enough not to leave anyone dead or permanently mangled as a result of my misunderstanding.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
I've never seen a car that was set up this way, but on my bike (with ABS) the ABS light comes on when you crank it and then clears once you pull away and it gets signal from the sensors. Not sure if that's what you're talking about.

30 seconds of googling also indicates that Rangers can have ABS on all 4 wheels or just on the back, adding to any confusion. 4 wheel ABS will have a big hydraulic unit connected to the MC, rear wheel only seems a little more hidden.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Also if you must get a Sportster, don't get a brand new one. Your first motorcycle will get dropped, dented, scratched and banged; if you own a new one you'll be motivated to keep it looking new despite the new rider abuse, and Harley parts (and/or service) get real expensive real fast. A somewhat depreciated older model that you can feel more comfortable 'personalizing' is a better move but don't go older than the '05 models unless you're really gung-ho Harley. (Personally if I was getting a cruiser first bike I'd be looking at Honda Shadow 600s, but I'm not a Harley man at heart.)

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
If your battery was stone dead it probably needs a good 48 hours to trickle charge. Check with a multimeter, it should be 14 volts or so full. Anything below 12.5-13ish is still "dead".

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Olde Weird Tip posted:

Yeah, "Solidify your place in the legacy that will be left during the 6 month period that Indian is open for business this time before someone else buys us and tries again to reanimate our corpse" is probably too long for an ad.

So along these lines of resurrected dead marques, Norton seems to be reanimated as often as Indian, and Triumph is doing fantastic - why is it no one ever seems interested in bringing back BSA?

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Not to mention, it's hard to tell, but looks like that guy in his zest for matte black has rattlecanned the cooling fins

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
This sort of counteraction is pretty common with twitter hashtag campaigns (especially the political ones) but usually they make sure to keep it flooded by friendly sockpuppets to keep it on message

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
They don't count, it's liquid freedom

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

clutchpuck posted:

:v: "Performance" - horsepower is cool and all, but for a street bike I kind of just want it to be comfortable and fun.

This is a perfectly reasonable statement, but Harley has to have bragging rights on horsepower and displacement over those gol-durned metric cruisers so they keep making their air-cooled engines bigger and heavier to compensate

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
I looked at an XR1200R when I got my Speed Triple. It is -not- a cafe racer riding position, it's slightly less aggressive than the Triumph (which for me was a plus.) It has decent front suspension, mediocre brakes, mediocre rear. It has only the most basic instrumentation, and frankly I'm of the opinion any modern bike needs a fuel gauge and a real-time fuel economy meter (I think Harley will tack one on for like $300 extra.) It didn't have ABS. The matte paint didn't seem up to normal Harley quality. And of course the engine performance was hugely different. All for about the same money.

Basically it made me feel like Harleys tend to make me feel - it would have been a neat bike for thousands of dollars less, and it really made me wish they still sold Buells.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

Really? Why is that?

It's helps a lot if you're trying to stretch a tank out, especially during long rides. (Streetfighter economy is kind of lovely to begin with and the tanks are pretty small, so little things like tweaking your body position for a few extra mpg can actually matter.) It's pretty much standard on new cars, and was standard on every other bike I looked at. And it's data that the EFI computer is already collecting. The XR12 already has a digital display and buttons for the trip meter / odometer / clock, so adding the fuel economy meter is a matter of a few lines of code and Harley giving a gently caress.

A fuel gauge may not be a precision instrument but you're not talking any more about needing an extra physical gauge, it's like a thermometer in the tank and some extra segments on the LCD display. And once you get lazy / used to using one it's hard to go without. If I was looking at a classic machine it'd be one thing but once you're talking ABS and traction control, gently caress, tell me how much gas I have.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Winter air left in the airbox?

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Can someone do a data dump on pre-'04 Sportsters? I'm seeing a bunch of them pop up for cheap-ish on CL lately. Is the older frame-mounted engine as punishing as rumors make it seem? What are good years to look for or avoid? Other than the obvious hamfisted Harley owner aftermarket 'mods', is there anything critical to look out for?

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Alternately get a bigger bike's thicker forks?

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

DILLIGAF posted:

Yep.. with preload, rebound and dampening adjustments, same on the shocks... ON A HARLEY.

They're pretty high-end Showa bits. The double-shock swingarm setup overall is a bit crude compared to a modern sportybike monoshock, but those specific rear shocks are some of the best you can get for the arrangement. Showa USA is basically Honda, so if you want you can tease Harley die-hards about your fast Hog riding on Honda suspenders.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hk07djDNY00

From what I've heard about the XR1200 race series, they don't get the overall lap times that even a race-prep SV650 can achieve, but the bikes get very healthy lean angles and honestly it makes the XR12 look like a ton of fun for a track bike. Also the sound (see about 1:00) is outright amazing and makes me wonder why Termignonis on Sportsters aren't more of a thing.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The one bike that had some decent crossover appeal to the non-harley crowd, they axe without advertising it.

There isnt an :ughh: big enough

I live in Milwaukee, and this poo poo makes me so drat mad, because I really want to root for them, but they keep pulling the dumbest moves.

Here's the thing. Whatever H-D Corporate thinks, the local dealers make their money on two things: tacky bolt-on cosmetic crap (usually chrome) for the bikes, and tacky cosmetic clothing (usually frilly leather) for the riders. People buying an XR1200 are (hopefully) going to understand the negative consequences of all that stick-on stuff and (somewhat more speculatively) are going to want protective or at least sporty-looking gear that the H-D dealer doesn't stock. So when that dealer looks at the XR1200 rider all he sees is a pile of ape hangers and spiked mirrors and 'custom' floorboards and assless chaps (and all the shop labor and small bits to stick on all that crud) he's not going to be able to roll into the loan. What dealer-add bits the XR does have commit the inventory sin of being XR-specific, unlike the rest of the Mr PotatoPotatoHead Harley accessories lineup. Also, honestly, I doubt XR1200 riders are going to come back in a few years and decide what they really want is a full bagger Road King. So the dealers are going to do everything in their power to bury the XR1200.

You'll recognize this as exactly what killed Buell.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

Does Harley ever really advertise bikes? I'm trying to think of a time I saw a commercial for "The New <Whatever>" and I can't think of one. Just the lifestyle/image stuff.

They have marketing and they send review bikes to magazines. The CVOs are already getting reviews. And the big push right now seems to be for the candy flake models.

I'm sure they have ads on mags and TV but I don't watch/read anything they'd target so I can't say.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Harleys tend to rot on Craigslist forever at absurd prices, far more so than other brands. Some sellers see these other guys with their bikes up for months and assume it's the market price. It's obviously not, if the bikes aren't selling. A brand new 883 is 8k list (subtract for negotiation, add back for delivery fees/taxes/etc), whereas that 883R is seven years old. H-D for whatever logic doesn't sell 883's with twin front brakes any more, which is nice for the 883R, but by Harley standards the paint and wheels are bargain and not worth as much as fancier options.

I think those bars are stock (they were for later years at least) but drag bars and forward controls are going to be an odd mix for a C-shaped riding position. Make sure to sit on it and ideally give it a good test ride, keeping in mind bars can be swapped. The pipes look nice but might be excessively loud.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
What keeps a regular Sportster from turning into an XR via the race parts? From the chatting thread:

Z3n posted:

They do but it's not like they run production anything in either of those classes...they'll all custom bikes that share very little with the roadgoing harleys. The only one that is even close to the stock stuff is the XR1200 cup, and those have a race kit you have to buy that changes the forks, shocks, triples, wheels, etc.

... you end up replacing a pretty healthy chunk of the XR-specific stuff anyway. What else needs to get done? Swingarm?

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Cruisers are inherently heavy. It's a consequence of the steel frames, dual shocks, heavy bars, chrome and cosmetics etc. instead of an aluminum backbone and plastic body. The weight does have the advantage of damping engine vibes.

Beyond the tinybikes like the S40 and Rebel, the Shadow RS is about the lightest and it's right at 500 pounds. Even a Thruxton is about 500 due to the cruiser-derived construction. You might be able to strip a Sporster down below that since it's not carrying water cooling, but I don't know.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Pham Nuwen posted:

Please don't buy one with that metal flake paint, get one more like this:

Except without the skull on the transmission, oh god Harley Davidson you can make some nice bikes but why must you always tack this gaudy crap on them...

I'd prefer a gas tank that holds more than a pint of gas but besides that that's a drat fine looking motorcycle

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
http://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/mcy/3500720338.html

What are the pros/cons of owning a H-D of this age (obv the seller doesn't list mileage) and what are the key things to look for if checking one out to buy?

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
I get what he's saying, it's not that fork boots there look bad, it's that -those- fork boots look like they were intended for much longer forks

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
You didn't drop it into the exhaust port, right? You'd know in a hurry if you'd done that.

Think of it this way, the crank case is full of oil. Did you open anything that had oil in it? There's a breather tube somewhere but it probably goes to the airbox and should be way too small to drop a nut down.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

SaNChEzZ posted:

The Harley owners will tell you more about the motors, but first off: take the MSF and buy a used bike. You'll hate yourself when, not if you drop the bike in a stupid fashion and bring the value down 4 grand instantly.

This. And even if you're dedicating yourself to a lifetime of Harley ownership you should look at a cheap used metric as a learner ride, they're dirt cheap. For God's sakes don't buy a new Harley as a beginner bike. I'd stick to the smaller frames, too, a touring size bike like a softail / Road King will teach you how to ride straight but not much else.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
The Harley MSF course is often more expensive than a normal course. It comes with a big dollop of Harley advertising, too, if it matters. Can be easier to schedule though. The actual motorcycle safety content is the same.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Pretty sure it's been said before but back when motorcycle gangs were a real thing there were plenty of BSAs, Triumphs etc rolling in the mix. Also telling people to buy American when they look at an XR1200, heh

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
I had a couple minutes to blow while out running errands so I stopped by the local H-D dealer for some ogling. They had a 72 out front in the candy green with whitewalls that I could ogle all day. But the seat is immediately awful and I'd really want more than the 2 gallon tank. I sat on a 48, same problem with seat and tank and the bars just didn't feel right.

Also the lady working there twice called my Aprilia a Honda

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

clutchpuck posted:

A sporty doesn't make a great replacement for a sport tourer but it would be good variety to have both. A friend of mine runs a K1300GT and a nightster I think, enjoys both.

Yeah, there's zero chance I'm trading my Aprilia for anything, but I wouldn't mind trading the Speed Triple for something better for in-town pootling. Problem is, the Sporsters weigh more than my danged sport-tourer. Yeah, I know they carry it different, but still, leaning more towards something more supermoto-ey.

They've still got XR1200s on the floor, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Remember that your first bike is going to get banged around, scratched up, dropped etc. If you're fine doing that to a Sportster, ok.

Price listings on Craigslist aren't what bikes are worth or are sold for; slightly old Harleys in particular get listed at completely absurd prices and often rot there.

That being said, you can probably find a low-displacement metric cruiser for pennies on the Harley dollar and get much the same riding experience.

• Locked thread