Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot
:siren: AION F2P INFORMATION :siren:

F2P in EU is handled by Gameforge: http://www.aionfreetoplay.com/
EU F2P information: account types, cash shop

F2P in NA is handled by NCsoft West: http://na.aiononline.com/home
NA F2P information: item bundle cash shop, single item cash shop, currency conversion
NA goon server/faction/guild: Kahrun/Asmos/Goon Squad
Post your character name in this thread and whisper anyone from Goon Squad to get an invite!

Do this to play NA Aion:

The Entire Universe posted:

1: Make an NCSoft account 2: "Purchase" (This is free) the game on the NCsoft site, 3: Check your email for the NCsoft downloader. THE AION DOWNLOADER WILL NOT WORK IT WILL JUST TELL YOU THERE IS NO FILE ON THE SERVER. CHECK YOUR EMAIL.

NA or EU?
- Ping is very important for PvP
- EU has limited starter accounts, you have to buy gold packages with money or ingame currency for full accounts
- gold packages are not necessary for low level characters, high level characters earn enough ingame currency to afford the package easily
- NA doesn't have different account types, but the cash shop has items, that some would consider pay2win
- EU doesn't have pay2win items yet
- NA already has patch 3.0, EU will get 3.0 in the next few months

:siren: AION F2P INFORMATION :siren:

AION 3.0: Ascension
With Assault on Balaurea (patch 2.0) the invasion of the homelands of the Balaur has begun. After initial successes the advance of the Elysean and Asmodean human forces has ground to a halt. A lack of training has been determined as the cause of the failure to further conquer the Balaurean territory. The Empyrean Crucible (patches 2.5 to 2.7) was founded to train the Daeva of both human factions - Elyos and Asmodeans - to prepare them for the final blow against Tiamat the 5th of the Dragon Lords (patch 3.0). The Empyrean crucible gave Daeva the opportunity to participate in a medium difficulty solo instance, a very difficult 6 man group instance and two different PvP battlegrounds. With patch 3.0 the invasion of the territory of Dragon Lord Tiamat has begun. There are two new zones, quite a few new instances (solo, 6 man and 12 man), new gear and a new level cap of 60.

What is AION?
A strikingly beautiful, traditional (WoW-like) subscription based MMORPG:
  • PvE and PvP (open world, fortress raids, battlegrounds)
  • an interesting and unique setting that many have fallen in love with
  • 8 classes with 2 different skill trees each for specialization or hybrid builds
  • many group instances over the whole level range (6 players)
  • 5 raids for 12 and 48 players
  • 3 battlegrounds: 6 Vs 6, 1 Vs 1 and 10 FFA with more to come
  • 5 open PvP zones accessible to everyone (Abyss, Inggison, Gelkmaros, Silentera Canyon and Tiamaranta)
  • 4 open PvP zones with level restrictions (Eltnen, Morheim, Heiron, Beluslan)
  • fortresses that your guild can conquer and defend for nice benefits (9 in the Abyss, 2 in Gelkmaros, 2 in Inggison and 4 in Tiamaranta)
  • fortress sieges are available at the following times: 2 PM, 6 PM, 8 PM and 10 PM
  • flying with fancy wings (in designated zones)
  • a ton of character customization settings, ridiculous hats, lots of fashion options
  • silly looking, cute AND useful pets
  • mounts ranging from flying fish to flying motorcycles
  • instanced and non-instanced housing, there are two housing zones with 500 non-instanced houses each and there are 30 houses for each faction in regular zones
  • and of course quests, loot, crafting, guilds and all the other required timesinks

Here are some videos, to get a feel for the game: Open Beta Trailer, Assault on Balaurea Preview, Assault on Balaurea Launch Trailer, Empyrean Calling Highlights, Aion Vision Trailer, Aion 3.0 Trailer

Interested? It's free to play now. Just try it out. :)

The current state of the game:
  • The grind, lack of quests and drops have been fixed. Leveling is fast and easy now! New players receive free items and gear while leveling. A mentor system to help low level players level faster and gear up at the same time has been introduced. Reaching the level cap even for casuals is now a matter of weeks and not months.
  • NA Aion players can use the Atreian Atlas. It'll help you to level and see everything important. It has guides, videos and even rewards!
  • Many opportunities for PvP: 4 high level open world PvP zones, Dredgion PvPvE 6 man group instance 3 times per day, 10 man FFA and 1 VS 1 PvP battlegrounds as often as you want.
  • Quite a few things to do in the PvE endgame: There are different instances to run and world bosses to kill to get the best equip in the game.
  • Good PvE gear is easily aquired nowadays, while getting the best gear is still a long and challenging process.
  • Good PvP gear is much easier to come by, since AP to buy the gear can be aquired pretty fast now.
  • The Empyrean Crucible will allow you to catch up with the PvP veterans in a very short time.
  • Player populations are healthy and stable. And even though player numbers for both factions are balanced on all servers, player morale and thus PvP participation are not.
  • The community is a mixed bag. Asking questions in global chat will get you answers fast, highlevel players are often willing to help you with quests and legions are known to support each other. On the other hand there is the typical elitism that comes with PvP games and extensive flamewars. There are also quite a few impatient and unhelpful players.
Leveling a character of any class is now a fun experience and if you want you can keep playing to aquire better and better gear. PvP is alive and with more and easier ways to get PvP gear, PvP participation is likely to go up in the near future.

Useful links:

Major Patches:

Hungry Gerbil fucked around with this message at 22:56 on May 2, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot
Quick guide

READ THE GAMEGUIDE!!! Do it! The team at NCsoft West is doing a great job with the official game guide.

If you are playing in NA you should also consider using the Atreian Atlas:
It'll tell you what to do next and where you can level. It also has guides and videos for instances and so on.

Which class should I pick? (link)
  • Gladiator
    Pure melee AoE DPS class with high defense. Fast solo PvE, moderate group PvE damage, second best group PvE tank, popular for solo and group PvP.
  • Templar
    Completely typical tank class. Slow solo PvE, low group PvE damage, best group PvE tank, hard to play in PvP.
  • Assassin
    Melee ganking and DPS class. Very gear dependent since this class needs both good armor and weapons. Fast solo PvE, very high group PvE damage, capable group PvE tank, popular for solo and group PvP.
  • Ranger
    Distance ganking and CC class. Perfect for ruining the day of many other classes. Fast solo PvE, high group PvE damage, popular for solo and group PvP.
  • Sorcerer
    Typical ranged high DPS low defense glass cannon. Least gear dependent class. Fast solo PvE, very high group PvE damage, popular for solo and group PvP.
  • Spiritmaster
    Pet and debuff class with the best PvP CC skill in the game. Fast solo PvE, high group PvE damage, popular for solo and group PvP.
  • Cleric
    Heals and dispells debuffs. Obviously essential for group PvE and PvP. Slow solo PvE, low PvE damage, best group PvE heal, popular for group PvP. OP class, can run group instances solo and other awesome stuff.
  • Chanter
    Has very useful group buffs, good DPS and kicks rear end. There is no PvP and PvE group that doesn't want a chanter. Playing a chanter in PvE and PvP will get you laid. Medium solo PvE, moderate group PvE damage, capable group PvE heal, popular for group PvP.

Overall I can recommend playing every single class. It's just a matter of how you like to play the game. If in doubt, choose a ranged class though. And just ask in this thread if you have specific questions.

PvP basics

PvP activities
  • Solo and group open world PvP in the Abyss, Gelkmaros, Inggison, Silentera and Tiamaranta
  • Dredgion 6 VS 6 PvPvE instance for level 46+ players three times per day
  • Empyrean crucible 1 VS 1 and 10 man FFA battlegrounds
  • Rifting in enemy territories for characters below level 50

PvP tips
  • Solo PvP can be frustrating, since every class is weak against some classes and strong against others. The classes are not balanced for 1 VS 1 encounters!
  • I recommend doing group PvP, since 3 different classes already complement each other enough to be versatile in many situations.
  • Join a legion to be always able to group up with likeminded players.
  • Play Dredgion and Empyrean crucible PvP as often as possible. Even if you lose the rewards are big enough to make it worthwile.
  • Duel players form your own faction as often as possible. Only practice will allow you to get better.

PvP gear
  • The difference between PvP and PvE gear is huge. A PvE player will get killed by a PvP player almost every time. The difference between PvP gear sets on the other hand is not as big.
  • After you have some kind of PvP gear you won't lose all the time, because now skill and class are getting more important.
  • I recommend to level to 55 and then earn the first tier of Empyrean Crucible PvP gear. It'll take around 6 hours of playtime distributed over 30 days. Catching up with the veterans is not that hard!
  • For better PvP gear you will need to earn AP and medals.
  • Earn AP by running the Esoterrace instance, the upper fortress instances, the Dredgion instance and the Empyrean crucible PvP battlegrounds.
  • Earn easy AP by doing daily quests.
  • Earn medals by participating in fortress raids.
  • Socketing your gear with manastones is more important than enchanting the gear.
  • Think about the order of aqcuiring PvP gear. A typical damage dealer should get jewelry first, since jewelry gives PvP damage and is cheap. More defensive classes like clerics should get armor first, since they are one of the first classes to be attacked.

How do I level?

Always look where your level appropriate quests are (see below). They are all marked on your map. The game is very linear and so your path is pretty clear.

Where to level as Elyos

Where to level as Asmodean

Play group instances
Instances give a ton of XP and are quite fun in a group. Popular instances are:

Visit the solo instances
Solo instances give a lot of XP, loot and money as a reward.

Crafting
Keep Essence and Aether Extraction up to date! Do Alchemy! Learn how to morph aether into crafting materials. This way you won't ever need to spend money on essential consumables. Offensive classes can also choose a profession that produces the weapons they need. Defensive classes should choose a profession that produces armor. Except for alchemy (and cooking) all other crafts require big investments and a high level to be profitable! Cooking will allow you to make buff food.

Random tips
  • In a group everything is easier, faster and more fun. You can kill elites, do the harder campaign quests and defend yourself against enemy players.
  • Consider saving up the large XP rewards of campaign quests for leveling from 38-40 and 46-50.
  • Get coin gear. It will allow you to be equipped adequately without needing to grind too much.
    To get coins you can do daily coin quests, daily mentor quests and if you regularly play with your pet you can get 1 coin per hour. You can also buy them at the AH.
  • If you level very fast consider renting mist gear.
  • First socket manastones and then enchant your gear.
  • Don't forget to armsfuse your twohanded weapons.
  • Use the mentor system.
  • Learn Alchemy, Essence, Aether extraction and morphing to save kinah on consumables and also earn tons of kinah with little work.
  • Sell stuff at the AH. There are many valuable drops.

Hungry Gerbil fucked around with this message at 22:59 on May 2, 2012

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Any news on a free weekend coming up? I quit before they implemented the new ground pvp and level 55 cap, less due to the grind and more due to the frustration of actually trying to do mass pvp in the abyss on my machine (shift+f12 and fighting an army of ghosts is not fun). I keep considering trying Aion again, although my character is a low-30s Asmo Templar on Israphel, I think. :smith: With the changes to the game & leveling, if I were to delete the character and start fresh on Elyos, would it be a huge loss?

Also, back when I played, a well played Templar using both mace/shield and 2h was a force to be reckoned with. Is this still the case?

Tsurupettan fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Oct 16, 2011

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot
Well, the last 10 free days were from 09/22/2011 to 10/02/2011. So you missed them by two weeks and I don't know of any upcoming free weeks. :smith:

Performance during mass PvP has improved, but not too much. On the other hand fortress raids are not the most important aspect of this game anymore. So I don't think you will miss them too much.

You won't lose too much by starting from scratch. You can reach level 30 in a week or two. Level 55 takes around 6 weeks for the average player.

But I wouldn't recommend playing a templar. Just answer a few questions and I'll recommend another class to you: Why did you choose to play a templar? What kind of activities do you enjoy in an MMO? How fast do you want to level?

Templars with good gear and skills are still feared, but they have the same problem as rangers: highly variable damage output, which means you'll be able to dispatch an enemy in seconds or only take half of his hitpoints and get squashed afterwards.

Hungry Gerbil fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Oct 16, 2011

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Hungry Gerbil posted:

You won't lose too much by starting from scratch. You can reach level 30 in a week or two. Level 55 takes around 6 weeks for the average player.

But I wouldn't recommend playing a templar. Just answer a few questions and I'll recommend another class to you: Why did you choose to play a templar? What kind of activities do you enjoy in an MMO? How fast do you want to level?

Templars with good gear and skills are still feared, but they have the same problem as rangers: highly variable damage output, which means you'll be able to dispatch an enemy in seconds or only take half of his hitpoints and get squashed afterwards.

What do you consider the average player to be, in terms of hours in a day/week? I play pretty often when I get into a game.

As for your questions: I chose a templar for a few reasons. When I play PVE, I usually gravitate towards tank/heals/support first and foremost, since they're underplayed and I enjoy filling needed roles. When I play PVP, I like being able to kill people without being a glass cannon. After trying Templar out to the 30s, and talking to a knowledgeable guy back when I was playing (Sevaz or something like that? He's a pvp templar that has been around ages), it seemed like that was the choice for me.

In short, I like to tank/support in pve, and kill/be resilient in pvp. Plus I liked some of the templar utility, with that ability to yank people to me and snare them. Chanter looked like a good second choice for me, though I don't know how tough they are in pvp. Cleric was a third pick but they can't kill anything. There is a sort of :smug: feeling of being unable to die, though. I think the most appealing part of Templars to me was that I perceived them to have a high skill cap, so I'd keep learning and getting better, rather than mashing 1-2-3 like in some games.

But drat, if fortress raids have taken a back seat, that's loving tempting to resub. :unsmith:

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot

Tsurupettan posted:

What do you consider the average player to be, in terms of hours in a day/week? I play pretty often when I get into a game.
2 hours daily on weekdays and 6 hours daily on the weekend. Level 1-10 takes 1-2 hours, level 10-20 takes 6-8 hours so you can reach level 20 in a weekend. After that it takes about 2 hours per level so you'll reach level 30 on the next weekend if you know what you're doing.

Tsurupettan posted:

As for your questions: I chose a templar for a few reasons. When I play PVE, I usually gravitate towards tank/heals/support first and foremost, since they're underplayed and I enjoy filling needed roles. When I play PVP, I like being able to kill people without being a glass cannon. After trying Templar out to the 30s, and talking to a knowledgeable guy back when I was playing (Sevaz or something like that? He's a pvp templar that has been around ages), it seemed like that was the choice for me.

In short, I like to tank/support in pve, and kill/be resilient in pvp. Plus I liked some of the templar utility, with that ability to yank people to me and snare them. Chanter looked like a good second choice for me, though I don't know how tough they are in pvp. Cleric was a third pick but they can't kill anything. There is a sort of :smug: feeling of being unable to die, though. I think the most appealing part of Templars to me was that I perceived them to have a high skill cap, so I'd keep learning and getting better, rather than mashing 1-2-3 like in some games.

A templar is still the best tank, but there are not many instances where a Templar is absolutely necessary. Beshmundir Temple Hard Mode, Empyrean Crucible and the world bosses Omega and Ragnarök are the only ones as far as I know. For all other instances a gladiator or an assassin are sufficient. Gladiators deal more and more consistent damage in PvP while being almost as robust as a templar. But they are also easier to play. And everyone is playing a glad.

Well, it looks like the best choice for you is really templar. Just keep in mind that leveling a templar is a slow process and that you need skills and gear to be good in PvP. Your damage is also pretty random so you need a high frustration tolerance. Just keep in mind that a glad is similar to a templar, but with higher damage, faster leveling and less randomness. And as you said, you should really consider trying out the chanter.

Tsurupettan posted:

But drat, if fortress raids have taken a back seat, that's loving tempting to resub. :unsmith:

Gold medals for PvP gear are easy to come by, since there are alternative ways to participating in fortress raids to earn them. That's why they're relatively cheap to buy in the AH. Platin medals are untradeable and mostly earned through fortress raids. They are needed for level 55 PvP gear, but having level 50 PvP gear is perfectly fine. So you don't have to do fortress raids to get gear.

In addition to not having to participate, most Abyss fortress raids are now of a much smaller scale. It's typically 48 VS 48 or 24 VS 24 players and not too performance intensive. So you can join the 'zerg' without needing to worry or even using shift+f12.

Big fortress raids still happen though. For example taking the Divine Fortress or an enemy Balaurean keep usually attracts around 100-200 players on boths sides.

Hungry Gerbil fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Oct 16, 2011

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Thanks for input! How is chanter pvp killing power and survival? Phone posting otherwise would reply more in depth.

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot

Tsurupettan posted:

Thanks for input! How is chanter pvp killing power and survival? Phone posting otherwise would reply more in depth.

Well, chanters stun their enemies, then kite them while healing up. They have better than average survival capabilities and average damage dealing capabilities (better than cleric and templar). They have a hard time against more classes than usual, but multiply the deadliness of a group with their mantras and heal assists. So don't choose this class, if you want to do much solo PvP. This class is for group oriented players. They are both popular for PvP and PvE groups and can replace a cleric to a certain degree.

The chanter might get a self-dispell with patch 3.0.

Hungry Gerbil fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Oct 16, 2011

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Thanks again, I prefer group play so i'll just make both. Installing now and resubbing tonight. Templar will be Momizi on israphel, might make something on eu goon server too.

evilentity
Jun 25, 2010
Is the trial still poo poo? Last time ive played, it was 1-10 or 3 hours total. Or some nonsense like that.

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot

evilentity posted:

Is the trial still poo poo? Last time ive played, it was 1-10 or 3 hours total. Or some nonsense like that.

The limits are 10 days and level 20 now. NA trial link is in the OP.

evilentity
Jun 25, 2010

Hungry Gerbil posted:

The limits are 10 days and level 20 now. NA trial link is in the OP.

Great. Im downloading it now, thanks.

E: Got it installed and my game password doesnt work. Changed it still no dice. Whats up with that?

E2: Looks like you need to change the region in launcher meh.

evilentity fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Oct 16, 2011

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Not sure how other servers are, but Zikel seems to have a shortage of clerics and it's very rare that a group with a cleric doesn't fill up, while others might spend an hour looking for one.

And yeah, everyone plays gladiator, which makes it hard to find groups when you've been gone as lone as me. :smith:

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot
Today we were 70 Elyos VS 100 Asmodeans in the Upper Abyss. Usually we would win with ease, but today we got crushed, because only two members of our high command were online. You can't win without coordination, reconnaissance and a plan.

Hungry Gerbil fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Oct 16, 2011

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Hungry Gerbil posted:

Today we were 70 Elyos VS 100 Asmodeans in the Upper Abyss. Usually we would win with ease, but today we got crushed, because only two members of our high command were online. You can't win without coordination, reconnaissance and a plan.

This was probably the best thing early on when the game was new and there were tons of people.

Attacking a fort? Have 250-300 Elyos to their 400+ amsodians? Hit and run/pick at the straggles and get others to overreach and before you know it, an hour's passed and you've got their larger force on the defensive and are hitting them at randoma nd from different angles with a dozen or so Elyos at a time and they start giving up and retreating.

Then a Dredgion flies past and kills everyone that didn't get far enough away, even through a fort's shields/walls in some cases...

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot
Then there are the teleport NPCs, eastern and western shards, tapping and activating artifacts, kisk positions, guardian deity transformations...

It's pretty complex, but satisfying. And it's a shame that so few people are participating. It's just not worth it. Gold medals are cheap and platinum medals are too hard to get. Even if you defend a Balaurean fortress for a full hour you might not get even one medal.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

e: nevermind, fixed.

e2: Also, is there a ventrilo/mumble/irc for aion goons?

e3: Is there a quicker way to delete my higher level characters? I don't want to wait a week to play. :smith:

Tsurupettan fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Oct 17, 2011

Red87
Jun 3, 2008

The UNE will prevail.
gently caress... I said I'd never play this again after the goon exodus when we realized how much it sucked. Re-downloading now.

I remember fondly sitting in the abyss having aerial skirmishes. I was a Templar and I had some crazy beam where I could pull enemies into me and it was so much fun when you had the gang PVP going on to pull their healers into your group so everyone could kill them.

Does this stuff still happen? Do higher levels still camp the Abyss zones, because I remember that put me off at one point because the few who poopsocked to max used to sit at the LVL 25 area and kill lowbies because there was literally no one else for them to kill.

I'm having to start from scratch since I sold my original account to some goon for like :10bux: but I think I want to try something new. I got to 30 on my templar previously and I was thinking either gladiator or chanter. I generally like support roles so pretty sure I'll roll a chanter.

Red87 fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Oct 17, 2011

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Hungry Gerbil posted:

Then there are the teleport NPCs, eastern and western shards, tapping and activating artifacts, kisk positions, guardian deity transformations...

It's pretty complex, but satisfying. And it's a shame that so few people are participating. It's just not worth it. Gold medals are cheap and platinum medals are too hard to get. Even if you defend a Balaurean fortress for a full hour you might not get even one medal.

I've defended multiple times and never got one, or any reward at all, unless I was in the abyss.

However between SunShine taking a break(or they quit, IDK) and some groups like gummi Bears actively working to sabotage the Elyos, Zikel's getting more active. Asmos took Miren last week and we've been unable to take it from them. Most of the pushes have had artifacts like hellfire in the hands of one of the sabotage groups and the Asmos are showing up in force while Elyos seem to be getting pretty :effort: about the Abyss.

e: If anyone does come back and is an Elyos on Zikel let me know since I still have invite powers there if you want to jump in to TopGoon, but it's just me in there so you should probably join something more active (I plan to eventually).

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Oct 17, 2011

Red87
Jun 3, 2008

The UNE will prevail.
Whatever happened to Azphel; That was the original goon server, right?

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
Azphel was merged into Zikel when the servers were merged. If you haven't moved your character then Zikel is the server it is on.

However the goon legion has all but collapsed on that server. When I logged on a couple weeks ago it was basically EvilFluffy and I left, but I stopped playing again. That was during a TWO WEEK LONG FREE REACTIVATION, so if no one else was playing then it's safe to say TopGoon is dead.

Nounverber
Jan 8, 2005

Slowpoke! posted:

Azphel was merged into Zikel when the servers were merged. If you haven't moved your character then Zikel is the server it is on.

However the goon legion has all but collapsed on that server. When I logged on a couple weeks ago it was basically EvilFluffy and I left, but I stopped playing again. That was during a TWO WEEK LONG FREE REACTIVATION, so if no one else was playing then it's safe to say TopGoon is dead.

Israphel's pretty dead too, goon-wise. From the OP, FYI regarding the status of the goon legion there:

- Idesta/Pariya said in the last thread he didn't log on during reactivation/xp boost week and doesn't plan to log on in the future

- Keriana hasn't been on for about two months and isn't even in the legion anymore

- Feelsgoodman (me) I canceled my subscription due to lack of goons (there are other members but I only saw 1-2 log on for a few hours in about a week's time), boredom with farming end-game pvp/pve equipment, and wanting to quit living like poo poo :v:

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot
Evil Fluffy, are you member of an alliance? You or your alliance need to earn a certain amount of AP in the area of a fortress to earn medals for attacking or defending.

I will update the OP with the current status of the goon guilds. :smith: It's sad to see so many people quitting. Leveling is really fun now. And PvP is fun, too. Open world PvP, fortress raids, Dredgion are all good, you just need an active PvP legion.

How much PvP did you do, Nounverber? The endgame PvE is OK, but PvP is where the fun is at at level 55. Just doing the PvP dailies is a pretty varied activity. I spent my time mainly in the Dredgion, doing the PvP dailies and weeklies, running Esoterrace and maybe a few fortress raids per week. Sometimes I get dragged into Beshmundir Temple, but I hate that because random groups can take three to four times as long as a competent group.

Edit:
I'm a member of FANTICS on Thor. They are the biggest legion on my server. It's worth it. There is always something up. An active legion or a group of friends to play with is important to have fun after reaching level 55.

Hungry Gerbil fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Oct 17, 2011

Red87
Jun 3, 2008

The UNE will prevail.
I'm got my trial going although having some issues with install corruption that I'm trying to fix right now. If the goon legion is dead, where would you recommend I go? I really can't see playing this game solo and I'm pretty tired of WoW and Rift so looking for something new to play for a while.

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot

Red87 posted:

I'm got my trial going although having some issues with install corruption that I'm trying to fix right now. If the goon legion is dead, where would you recommend I go? I really can't see playing this game solo and I'm pretty tired of WoW and Rift so looking for something new to play for a while.

Well, sadly I only know the situation on the German servers. But you should look around the official and inofficial forums. Look for a balanced server or a server where your faction of choice is dominating. Never choose the underdogs.

Joining a legion is really important. At least on Thor legions are always recruiting. Newly formed legions are not as picky as established ones and very friendly. Noone will take you at level 10 though. 30+ and 45+ are the most common required levels to join a legion.

For serious PvP you should join a more established PvP legion with experienced leaders at level 50 or 55.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Red87 posted:

I'm coming back to play too (just waiting on GMs to delete my characters), and I'll be sticking with Elyos on Israphel just in case. I was hoping this was one of the games where you could just switch region to play on EU, but it isn't. We could duo if you want, and maybe the US Goon situation will improve. I play pretty often, was thinking of making a Chanter first since the last thing I got up decently high was a Templar.

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot
Aion 3.0 news are incoming. Housing and mounts are in! Level cap will be raised to 60. No open PvP between level 55 and 60, both factions will cooperate in the new zones. 24 man raid against the Dragon Lord Tiamat. A profession will give you some kind of skills now. Low and midlevel zones will be changed in some way. Also more new instances, of course.

We will soon hear more, since the Korean patch 3.0 will go live on test servers this Wednesday!

Hungry Gerbil fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Oct 17, 2011

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

As someone who spent literally days on end decorating his house in Everquest 2, this excites me like nothing else.

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot

Tsurupettan posted:

As someone who spent literally days on end decorating his house in Everquest 2, this excites me like nothing else.

You will get one house for free. And there will be legion housing, too.

Red87
Jun 3, 2008

The UNE will prevail.
Got it installed but it runs like poo poo on my system. Kind of. As long as I'm not moving, I get 60+ FPS at max'd settings. The minute I start taking steps it drops to like 20 FPS with stuttering, unless I drop to like 1280x1024 resolution. I'm running an i5 2500k, 16GB of RAM and two GTX560Ti's in SLI - this game hates me.

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot
I have an average system, way worse than yours, and Aion runs smoothly without any problems. Maybe try out the old graphics engine? Check your drivers?

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

I've got my Templar, Momizi to 10 and I'll be doing my Chanter, Byakuren to 10 next if anyone hanging around Israphel wants to group. I'd do it before 10 but since I played they added some rather draconian restrictions (no talking etc.) to sub-10 characters. :smith:

Also, I haven't taken ANY of my questionnaire rewards because I'm not sure who I'm going to do as a main character yet. Will I lose these if I don't take them?

e: I believe I also recall someone giving me advice for combat and saying to go like skill-autoattack-skill and clip the autoattack animation as soon as it begins, I don't know how swing timers work int his game and if that's any valid, though.

e2: vvv Okay, that's what I've been doing. I thought that was the case. Good to see I haven't forgotten everything!

Tsurupettan fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Oct 17, 2011

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot
I don't know if saving the questionnaires up will work. But don't worry, the rewards are nice, but you won't be crippled if you take them with another character.

And yes, the technique you described is called weaving and works. If you get the timing right it looks like just executing skills, but the auto-hits still do additional damge. Weaving is useful for slow weapons like staff, bow, spear or greatsword. Keep an eye on the combat log and try to abort the auto-hit as soon as possible by activating a skill. It will look as if both the autoattack and the skill hit quickly after each other with just the skill animation being displayed.

Red87
Jun 3, 2008

The UNE will prevail.
I had to dick around with some settings but the game is running solid 60 at 2560x1440, except I'm at like 45FPS in sanctum. Seriously considering re-purchasing the game as It is fun again and the trial restrictions kind of suck. Chanter seems pretty cool so far but I haven't done any group stuff yet nor do I remember where to look for them.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Where are you guys playing, israphel? I know theres no goons actively in the guild but it'd be nice to get on the same server as a few.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Taking the survey every day will give you a lot of extra kinah via scrolls/shards to sell once prices aren't so crashed by the flood.

Red87
Jun 3, 2008

The UNE will prevail.
gently caress yes I died to Rape Crab. I had totally forgotten about it and then I was dead to its mighty claws.

I'm on Israphel as Rajh - At level 13 now, if anyone else is up. Hell, maybe we could spin Top Goon back up if its still kickin' around.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

I've almost got my Chanter out of Poeta, though I still haven't decided what the gently caress I'm going to run as a main character. :smith:

RushMix
May 16, 2007
I just started a character on Israphel named Jinro. Hit me up if you want to party with a soon-to-be templar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RushMix
May 16, 2007
When can I start PvPing?

Will I be able to in the trial?

• Locked thread