Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

There's the Roy I know and love.

I'm on my third day as a Magitek Knight. Using Kinetic Slam to be One-Punch Man is sweet, even if I sometimes have to follow up with a tackle to finish off opponents. I can just barely survive soloing quests that are meant for groups, though I suppose it helps that I'm overleveled despite staying on the standard server. Finally, I just discovered that emotes have special animations if you use them while riding your bastion :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
They did a good job with the animations for that thing. I enjoyed punching the crap out of things.

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

So I got to 26 and I felt like something was missing. I wasn't sure what it was, but I knew how to fix it. I went back to the character screen and made a cleric. After playing for ten seconds, I figured out what the problem was: Aethertechs have poo poo for ranged skills.

How is aethertech chain for clerics? Better for leveling than healer chain?

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Check if it has more magic boost.

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

lol at this pubbie's dumb name

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

It's optimally constructed to piss me off. :golfclap:

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

My cleric is level 32 and I actually feel wanted hooray. I ran NTC a bunch of times with a spiritmaster who was op as gently caress, as wizzards tend to be. We talked a bit, mostly about legions and also powerleveling versus questing in a leisurely fashion. He said I should consider joining a legion now but I am scared of guild dramas and pubbieness in general. I do know I shouldn't put it off until I reach the level cap because then people are going to have hosed-up expectations of me.

I wish there were a goon guild. I'm half-tempted to make a goon/cool person guild myself, but I know it would fail and be stressful besides :smith:

EDIT: So far, healer chain and AT chain have the same MBoost. The only difference between them is the sign by the enmity boost number.

ArchWizard fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Mar 28, 2015

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Join a legion now. If you want to play the endgame you'll need to be in one anyways.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Even if you're in a legion you still might not get to do endgame pve stuff (and pvp is just bigass fort zergs) unless your legion is willing to 'carry' you at first because you don't have full purple pve gear why are we taking this scrub oh god no gently caress kick him I don't want to wipe because we brought a new person.

Though if you're Asmo maybe those players aren't as insufferable as Elyos are/were.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

I dunno. Post 4.0 on the German servers noone is even looking for pubbies anymore. Neither in the group finder nor in the chat channels. And people keep complaining about elitism and not being able to get even started. Then they get the advice to poopsock some of the PvP gear first. The sets that will take you months. :lol:

Lucy Heartfilia fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Mar 29, 2015

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

I see people advertising in LFG for everything from Nochsana to Danuar Reliquary and Infinity Shard. Of course, the higher the raids are, the more likely you are to see phrases like "geared" or "familiar faces."

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

My cleric is level 49 and I'm tired. Or bored. Or suddenly less than enthusiastic about being a healbutt. I'm not sure which. Right now I'm on break to handle real-life work and to play other games. I rolled a ranger before then, got her to 10, and was seriously impressed by how powerful rangers are. I might level her a bit when I come back to Aion. If nothing else, it gives me more time to find a legion.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Well, good luck. You should consider never returning to Aion though.

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Well, good luck. You should consider never returning to Aion though.
I returned to Aion, got my ranger to level 20, and realized that something about the whole situation was stupid. I wasn't sure what it was, but I had a feeling that the right thing to do was to re-roll as a sorcerer. Holy moly being a wizard is great. I'm nuking the hell out of everything and I hardly ever take a hit. I'm glad that Aion understands that wizards are:
  • Cool
  • Good
  • Awesome
Now I just need to do Altgard for the fourth time. Goddammit.

Oh yeah: Is it still believed that orbs are best for PvE and spellbooks are best for PvP?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Books for PVP because you need their accuracy more than an orb's damage usually.

If you want nasty PVP try a Spirit Master. Assuming fear hasn't been nerfed in tot he ground (I hope it was) they are utterly broken in small engagements and smart use of fear in a 1v1 can end up with someone being helpless for probably 20-30 seconds while the SM and their pet is unloading on them. They can also load you up on debuffs and dots to the point that dispel potions aren't enough to save you.

Though a sorcerer can outright alpha strike people dead with Glacial and Storm Strike, I think? You basically hit with an ice spell that has a slight delay in the damage which allows your second spell to hit at the same time and oh hey you just took 20k damage in a fraction of a second and you didn't even have that much HP so you had no hope of surviving or getting healed. :v:

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

Evil Fluffy posted:

Books for PVP because you need their accuracy more than an orb's damage usually.

If you want nasty PVP try a Spirit Master. Assuming fear hasn't been nerfed in tot he ground (I hope it was) they are utterly broken in small engagements and smart use of fear in a 1v1 can end up with someone being helpless for probably 20-30 seconds while the SM and their pet is unloading on them. They can also load you up on debuffs and dots to the point that dispel potions aren't enough to save you.

Though a sorcerer can outright alpha strike people dead with Glacial and Storm Strike, I think? You basically hit with an ice spell that has a slight delay in the damage which allows your second spell to hit at the same time and oh hey you just took 20k damage in a fraction of a second and you didn't even have that much HP so you had no hope of surviving or getting healed. :v:
I've fought SMs as a cleric and a gunslinger and I didn't consider them a problem. Fear is bad, but it doesn't kill you by itself and the SM rarely could. Of course, clerics have high MDef and gunslingers can silence and stun decently well, so I admittedly haven't seen the whole picture.

I briefly considered rolling an SM, but I tried one around the same time I tried gunslinger and temp and didn't like the playstyle. If pets were insanely powerful like in LOTRO I might have liked it, but SM pets seem like they require too much more clicking without much more satisfaction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

All classes are better against some of the other classes and worse against others.

• Locked thread