Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

I'd like to add that I'm soloing level 19 Tursin elites and getting 50,000+ exp a kill during double exp. :cool:

e: I also haven't received a survey in a while. Last I got was at level 20. What gives?

Tsurupettan fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Oct 20, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Tried out the trial two weeks ago and liked it enough to buy it and give it a shot. Can't say I'll be around often, but I'm Cawkes on Israphel.

RushMix
May 16, 2007
Jesus, Israphel is so laggy right now that I can't seem to stay logged in for more than five-ten minutes at a time. Anyone else getting this?

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
I've getting some pretty bad spikes. On the plus side, they are giving out items because of the instability.

RushMix
May 16, 2007

Lawlicaust posted:

I've getting some pretty bad spikes. On the plus side, they are giving out items because of the instability.

Axecellent!

If I want to upgrade my trial to a normal account do I have to buy the $30 game and a sub, or can I just get a subscription?

Red87
Jun 3, 2008

The UNE will prevail.

RushMix posted:

Axecellent!

If I want to upgrade my trial to a normal account do I have to buy the $30 game and a sub, or can I just get a subscription?

You need to buy the base game. It has the standard 30 days fare included with it however.

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot

Gay Rumsfeld posted:

I hate to be 'that guy' and ask an extremely ambiguous and dumb question, but can someone honestly and without bias tell me how the pvp in this game compares to other MMOs? I don't have a ton of MMO pvp experience, but what I've tried so far includes WoW, AoC, Rift, and WAR. This looks pretty fun from videos but those can only tell you so much.

PvP is way faster and deadlier than WAR or WoW. It is fun and balanced in group PvP. Solo PvP is not balanced, since every class is strong against some classes and weak against others. And then there is also mass PvP. There are also battlegrounds. To not be obliterated you have to acquire PvP gear. Fortunately it's a matter of a couple of weeks to get acceptable PvP gear.

Open world PvP is very present in this game. At level 25 you gain access to your first PvP zone and from level 30 you'll play almost exclusively in PvP zones. You'll encounter enemies, solo in groups or in zergs of 20 and more players. You cannot flag yourself for PvP. PvP is always enabled.

Overall PvP is a fun experience in Aion and adds a sense of risk and danger to it, without enabling griefers too much.

Edit:
2.7 patchnotes: http://gameguide.na.aiononline.com/aion/Patch+Notes+2.7
2.7 guide: http://gameguide.na.aiononline.com/aion/2.7

Hungry Gerbil fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Oct 20, 2011

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot

Tsurupettan posted:

I'd like to add that I'm soloing level 19 Tursin elites and getting 50,000+ exp a kill during double exp. :cool:

e: I also haven't received a survey in a while. Last I got was at level 20. What gives?

http://gameguide.na.aiononline.com/aion/Adventurer%27s+Guide

You can receive the rewards only once per server though and not once per character.

You can buy very cheap consumables for the PvP EC battlegrounds so you don't have to use up your regular stuff.

Edit:
Some other people also have problems with receiving the surveys...

Edit2:
3.0 housing information http://9kohorta.com/blog/in-english/aion-3-0-housing/

Edit3:
Level 60 PvP gear will be only equippable if you have a certain Abyss-Rank.

Hungry Gerbil fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Oct 20, 2011

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

I hadn't taken any other surveys on this server, as I had quit before the new ones were implemented. I ticketed a GM, they elevated it to a senior GM or something.

e: No I didn't I'm a retard I just woke up and I now remember I left them on the express mail thingy.

Tsurupettan fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Oct 20, 2011

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot
NCsoft trying their hardest to gently caress up once again. The official forums have still a ton of broken features, too.

frosteh
Apr 30, 2009
Is the double xp only from monster kills or quests or both? :ohdear:

The housing system screenshots look really good. After playing for the first time in a while, I noticed the graphics look a little more updated. Gotta say the game still looks really good, especially the sunlight effects.

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot
Double XP is usually mob kills only.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

I leveled up and the daily is now for silver coins. I guess it's not worth trying to get bronze coins for the blue level 25 gear, and just keep on truckin' instead?

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot
Well, you can always sell those coins and then buy bronze ones. You generally get coins for gear you cannot use yet, so that you have enough coins when you reach that level to buy everything.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

I decided to sell my instance timer scrolls rather than use them. You guys can get a pretty penny for them, I sold a bit under market and got 60m for my Eso scrolls, plus another 10m from a few other sales. Still have a bunch to go, too.

frosteh
Apr 30, 2009
Holy poo poo, are you serious? I had no idea those scrolls were worth that much. Looks like I might follow your lead so my new char will have a nice stash of money for later use.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

I'm going to be doing NTC for the first time in over a year soon. With the changes they've made, is the drop on loot still atrocious? Could I expect to get the staff before I outlevel the zone? If not, I'll probably just buy the bronze coin blue staff. :smith: I just have bad memories of running NTC and FT repeatedly and getting NO loot drops period.

e: whoa wait i don't see a level max on NTC any more.

e2: I also just got a message from the GMs back, surveys from leveling are temporarily disabled due to a bug with 2.7. The daily ones for shards/scrolls still work.

Tsurupettan fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Oct 20, 2011

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Gay Rumsfeld posted:

I hate to be 'that guy' and ask an extremely ambiguous and dumb question, but can someone honestly and without bias tell me how the pvp in this game compares to other MMOs? I don't have a ton of MMO pvp experience, but what I've tried so far includes WoW, AoC, Rift, and WAR. This looks pretty fun from videos but those can only tell you so much.

It might vary per server but from my experience on Zikel the Elyos are largely incompetent and petty children that are incredibly easy to troll while being unwilling to actually fight at sieges.

For example, we attacked Krotan the last few days because it's the only upper fort that the asmodians have. First 1-2 assaults we beat on the door like normal while others were telling us to rush through the side entrance and blitz the stone since you can ignore gates and it's faster overall. By the 3rd siege people started paying attention.

Now they still have the lingering problem of not fighting together at all. When we try to push, only a few people go, then some others slink up, and in a few rare cases others begin to follow like a highschool marching band. When they do, we make progress. However people are completely incapable of things like popping shields/speed buffs and doing a kamikazee rush through the enemy to hit their kisks.

In the last raid I was the only person on our side that did this, and still reached the kisks several times despite not having the UD stigma equipped. People dumb enough to use group kisks eventually lose them because I tend to land 1-2 AOE skills per successful rush and it adds up quickly. When you wipe kisks and people have to wait for a rez or release back to a fort and spend 5+ minutes flying back that pain adds up fast.

tl;dr: People here fight sieges as if they were the Redcoats in the Revolutionary War or the battle scenes from braveheart where both sides line up and then rush each other. :v:

E:

Hungry Gerbil posted:

Edit3:
Level 60 PvP gear will be only equippable if you have a certain Abyss-Rank.

Thankfully there's not going to be a huge power gap between level 55 and level 60 pvp gear, right?

Also any signs of level 55+ extendable weapons? Right now it seems like Bakarama/Trioran Spear + pvp spear = best combo and potentially worth using over a Stormwing/Vorpal spear + pvp weapon, but not so much for level 60s I would think.

E2:
What classes are you guys using on Israphael?

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Oct 20, 2011

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot
Mass PvP in Aion is complicated and you can beat superior numbers with good tactics and experienced leaders. That's why I like it so much. It's just a pity that taking forts isn't worth that much anymore.

Level 60 PvP gear will have set boni again like level 50 PvP gear. There are no extendable PvP weapons as far as I know, so a fused extendable PvP weapon is still a pretty big achievement.

Droprates for rare stuff are still frustratingly low. You'll level so fast, that the NTC gear isn't really necessary. And you can take a mentor with you now. It's great for leveling fast.

The EC PvP battlegrounds are great. They are fun, diverse and rewarding. Even if you lose every time, you can earn 70 PvP tokens per day. So a full golden 55 EC PvP set will take just two weeks, if you are really bad at PvP.

Hungry Gerbil fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Oct 20, 2011

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Chanters were talking about new extendables in 3.0 last night, I think. Also, thanks for the input on gear. I guess I'm still stuck in the mindset of slow leveling despite the fact I've gotten nearly to where my Templar was in the course of a few days.

Also, Fluffy, I believe we have:

2 Chanters
1 Cleric
1 Ranger
1 Templar
1 or 2 people i have no idea they mentioned playing but i haven't seen them in game.

e: heh, so I bought the coin staff earlier and upgraded it, then I log in now and surveys are fixed. At least I have a gold staff to armsfuse it into now! :v: The enchant level of the bottom item doesn't matter right?

e2: haha welp i can't merge the coin one into the gold one because it's level 26. :smith:

e3: Also, what's with the loving white items being sold for like 15 or 30 million? not counting the event hats. :psyduck:

Tsurupettan fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Oct 21, 2011

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
If it wouldn't be worth fusing the gold to the blue, just disenchant the blue and use the stone on the gold one.

I'm going to be interesting in seeing people react to the whole "even if you suck and always lose you get a gold set in 2 weeks" thing and how it'll affect people farming stuff like BT and Udas.

That's not a bad group you guys have so far. I might see about getting moved over there and join you guys if that happens; either using my gladiator to mentor and bulldoze, or making a newbie.

e: vvvvvvvvvv Why won't you be my friend? :qq:

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Oct 21, 2011

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Red87 posted:

Fight the infamous Rapecrab!

Rapecrab :arghfist::mad:

I just started this a week or so ago, but I'm Elyos on Zikel. 1-25 was incredibly easy and fast, but 25+ has been a bit of a chore. I think i completely skipped a quest hub or two.

Anyway, Stereophonic - 31 Cleric - Zikel

trem
Sep 17, 2009
I resubbed last night and made an Assassin (name: Tremulant). Should be different, since I've only played a Glad or Temp so far.

But I forgot that once you ascend you can't gather in the newbie zone, so I made another character to gather iron ore.

Red87
Jun 3, 2008

The UNE will prevail.

juicetan posted:

I resubbed last night and made an Assassin (name: Tremulant). Should be different, since I've only played a Glad or Temp so far.

But I forgot that once you ascend you can't gather in the newbie zone, so I made another character to gather iron ore.

You'll find tons and tons of iron ore in the Dukaki Mine/Settlement which you should hit around 13-14 area, if you don't want to hang back in Poeta. You can also pretty much do work orders for crafting if you want to level and only make stuff when you need to actually use it.

trem
Sep 17, 2009
I need it for a quest in the newb area

edit: it's not a mandatory quest, but the completionist in me has to do it before leaving

trem fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Oct 21, 2011

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Is there any exp loss from having a mentor plow poo poo for you? It doesn't seem that way, but I'm not sure.

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot

Tsurupettan posted:

Is there any exp loss from having a mentor plow poo poo for you? It doesn't seem that way, but I'm not sure.

Nope. You get all the XP.

By the way, the EC PvP gear is not as good as the gear bought with medals and AP.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
It's faster with a mentor, actually, isn't it? Because they get zero XP, so a higher percentage goes to the lowbies. In fact if you two man with a mentor, you get all the XP from each mob, right?

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot

Slowpoke! posted:

It's faster with a mentor, actually, isn't it? Because they get zero XP, so a higher percentage goes to the lowbies. In fact if you two man with a mentor, you get all the XP from each mob, right?

Yes, it's as if you'd kill them alone. There is a XP cap though. For each level, there is a maximum amount of XP you can earn per mob. Killing level 50 elites as a level 20 gives exactly as much XP as level 25 elites. But your mentor will be able to kill those elites much faster, of course.

Edit:
My current PvP gear plan is the following:
Full Eternal Level 1 conditioning gear: mace and shield max. 20 days, full armor max 27 days
Level 50 PvP jewelry for AP and gold medals
For two characters at the same time! My hunter twink will be fully geared (except jewelry) even faster than my cleric. And the time spent is 40 minutes per day just doing PvP.

Hungry Gerbil fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Oct 21, 2011

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

So, is there anyone with a sub active in Nothin Personal? Even if you're not actively playing, if we could get goons invited that'd be great. Bonus points if someone new and active now could get invite powers for other people coming to the game.

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot
How to reach the new Elyos/Asmo cooperation zone:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPcSnFxjd4E

The new faction are the Reians by the way. Humans living on the outer surface of the planet.

Housing videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kQM-2pNdtM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z76GEzOFnQE

Fish mounts:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwxkBwMLylk

pertinent
Apr 3, 2009
Finally managed to get to lvl 10 on the EU server. Gonna be poking for invites if anyone in the EU guild plays.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

pertinent posted:

Finally managed to get to lvl 10 on the EU server. Gonna be poking for invites if anyone in the EU guild plays.

Guess what, there's two of us. I'm strolling around as Mahea, worst ranger on any surface of the planet. Hit me up and we can totally be buttbuddies.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

With double exp and my kill rate I almost wonder if I should be in the Abyss grinding on 31-32 mobs with a Lodas amulet. I've got a great little spot in upper abyss, things give more exp out there and I can destroy critters in 5-6 seconds each. Right now I'm catching up on my poo poo in Eltnen and wandering around the desert.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

If there's friendly NPCs nearby drop a kisk and go to town. I used the drachenwreck area to level like mad early on and the pattern I ran was almost no resting and tons of XP at the time.

It wouldn't hurt to keep an eye on quests though, since they're worth running now.

Blorknorg
Jul 19, 2003
Crush me like a Blorknorg!

So I purchased this sometime in the past, and I'm going to give it a try once it finishes downloading. I noticed it has an RAF system and I haven't yet created the account.

I've actually spoken with HungryGerbil in the past, so I'll offer the RAF credit to them first, but assuming they don't reply, I guess it's up for grabs. To be clear I'm fairly sure I won't be subbing past the "Free" 30 days, but I read the RAF FAQ and it did indicate there's a bunch of bonus items one gets.

Edit:
Ended up just regging since nobody seemed interested. Snipped all relevant info.

Blorknorg fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Oct 22, 2011

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

There's a little chain of secluded islands southeastish of Roah that I was using on my Asmo templar before. That was decent exp, and this character kills even faster, so gently caress yeah. Will give it a try later.

Khako
Dec 24, 2008

Lee #61

Khako posted:

In as Khako, Ranger on Irasphel

Sorry guys made the switch to Gladiator, Siphus is the name.

flipoff
Nov 25, 2003

Really, bitch?

I'm mmo hopping until swtor comes out, so I figured I'd dick around here for a bit. I'm in as Aeryon, gladiator on Israphel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Man, look at all the new/returning goons. Even more reason to resub and power levelplay with us!

• Locked thread