Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

The NA forums now have several threads complaining about accessoire enchantment and AP to GP conversion. Droprates for accessoire enchantment items are basically zero. I haven't seen so many people declaring to quit Aion in a long time. And this patch is coming to EU in a couple of months. gently caress NCsoft.

Edit: Some are even calling it the worst patch ever.

Lucy Heartfilia fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Mar 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

There's the Roy I know and love.

A question came up in a T.Dred conversation and now I'm frustrated that I don't know the answer. What determines the kind of medal you get from winning a siege? Is it your level? Your rank? Where the fortress is located?

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

1) The location of the fortress.
2) The amount of AP you earned relative to other players of your class.

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

I almost want to believe this isn't just an April Fools' joke:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qXwgEgMPL0

Heart-Fili-A, are you going to make a new thread for 5.0? You're the only goon who consistently cares enough to do it.

ArchWizard fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Apr 2, 2014

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
That's just an unarmed dev character named 'Mime' beaten poo poo to death with their edited stats. It's a pretty :effort: joke.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

If things go as they always do, 5.0 will be out in Q1 or Q2 2015. So don't hold your breath. But yes, I'm still keeping an eye on it. I dunno if I will make a new thread, but I will post in this one at least.

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

Evil Fluffy posted:

That's just an unarmed dev character named 'Mime' beaten poo poo to death with their edited stats. It's a pretty :effort: joke.
"Aion Online: It's a pretty :effort: joke"

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

I reached 65 yesterday. I'm hell of scrubby and am trying to catch up on raids and campaigns. I did Raksang for the first time last week, Rentus for the first time three days ago, and Tiamat Stronghold for the first time yesterday. Maybe if I had started doing these ASAP I'd have collected enough Kahrun symbols to replace the fabled magic jerkin I've been wearing since level 51.

While checking around to learn whether gear alone is the reason I suck at endgame PvP, I discovered there's a legit use for aethercannons. Though dual pistols are generally the way to go and it makes sense to get the entire dual pistol greater stigma tree, doing this will leave you with one normal stigma slot and one greater stigma slot. You can use these slots to get Juggernaut Cannon. Juggernaut Cannon is pretty nasty. It's instant-cast (relatively) and does good damage, but the real treat is that it shits on magic suppression and halves the effectiveness of healing magic. This lasts for 18 seconds and the cooldown on jugg is 30 seconds. It's one hell of an opener, assuming your opponent doesn't just resist it like a jerk.

Also of interest in PvP: sometimes during upper Abyss sieges, stalemates will happen in mid-air over a gap between a fortress and a shard of Latesran. I discovered that while it's frustrating to fly into these stalemates and die over and over again, using Wing Clip on random dudes makes the whole effort worthwhile. I laughed really hard the first time I sent some glad plummeting to his death with a single shot. It didn't make a difference to the fight but it made a difference to me :unsmith:

ArchWizard fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Apr 16, 2014

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Yeah, making someone crash to their death is p funny.

You are bad at PvP, because you don't have the gear. Gear >>> everything else in Aion. Do the garrison weeklies and dailies and get yourself some good PvP armor, weapons and accessories. Then socket and enchant that poo poo.

The thing is, since gear is so important the outcome of almost all encounters (80-90%) with your enemies is determined solely by the gear you have. It just goes from you lose every match automatically to you win most fights automatically and you lose some fights automatically.

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Yeah, making someone crash to their death is p funny.

You are bad at PvP, because you don't have the gear. Gear >>> everything else in Aion. Do the garrison weeklies and dailies and get yourself some good PvP armor, weapons and accessories. Then socket and enchant that poo poo.

The thing is, since gear is so important the outcome of almost all encounters (80-90%) with your enemies is determined solely by the gear you have. It just goes from you lose every match automatically to you win most fights automatically and you lose some fights automatically.
Hey, I'd love to do all the garrison quests available to me but I'm a busy guy and I also have no idea how to reach Pradeth without getting killed by Asmobama's death panels. I thought I was supposed to group up in case of PvP, but I never see anyone talk in LFG for fortress quests. What's up with that?

ArchWizard fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Apr 17, 2014

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

ArchWizard posted:

Hey, I'd love to do all the garrison quests available to me but I'm a busy guy and I also have no idea how to reach Pradeth without getting killed by Asmobama's death panels. I thought I was supposed to group up in case of PvP, but I never see anyone talk in LFG for fortress quests. What's up with that?

No. I'm talking about the small ones where you have to kill some mobs for two weeklies. Not the fortresses. You can go there solo, because there will always be other guys from your faction waiting for the mobs to spawn. I think they're called bloodmark quests. This will give you good PvP gear in 5 weeks or even less.

Getting medals and AP is for PvP gear that will take you half a year to get.

And you should join a legion. Noone does stuff with pubbies in this game.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Oh man, look at this new Gameforge trailer for Aion:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSOzpuaIiso

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

Oh, you mean garrisons as in garrisons, not garrisons as in forts. I know I should try to do the Blood Mark quests since the rewards are so essential, but those little garrisons still make me nervous, you know? It seems like they always flip to asmo control either right before I arrive or right after. Last night I tried to do a quest from the Katalam garrison closest to Kaisinel's Beacon, the Elyos main base. I went in, grabbed a quest to kill asmo NPCs, ran a few meters and killed one, saw an asmo glad, then ran away. This proved to a pretty smart move because the garrison got taken over a few minutes later. A few minutes after that, six asmos came close to the door leading to Kaisinel's Beacon and I shooed them away by taking a potshot at their templar, causing all of the Elyos NPC guards around me to swarm them and scare them off. I figured I should go to bed after that.

I wish I could do just about anything else besides be afraid of my own shadow, but I'm stuck in that space between thoroughly hating Sarpan and Tiamaranta and not being allowed to do any level 65 dungeons. Katalam is all I have... :shepicide:

EDIT: Never mind, I saw the NPC assassins spawn in and kill the quest giver. Man, is that annoying.

ArchWizard fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Apr 21, 2014

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Usually other players from your faction are around, so don't worry. And if one garrison is camped, then just go to another one. Doing the weeklies for all garrisons is really easy.

And it's worth the effort, because bloodmark gear is perfectly fine pvp gear, if you don't want to nolife Aion.

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Usually other players from your faction are around, so don't worry. And if one garrison is camped, then just go to another one. Doing the weeklies for all garrisons is really easy.

And it's worth the effort, because bloodmark gear is perfectly fine pvp gear, if you don't want to nolife Aion.
I went off to a garrison near Silius and couldn't solo the weekly because the target NPCs were all elites. Meanwhile, people kept running past me alone or in pairs to do the weeklies without asking me if I wanted to group. On one occasion I did get an invite, but then the leader ran off and killed the NPCs before I could even get in range to get credit for the kills. I went back to the garrison near Kaisinel's Beacon and managed to do that weekly, but then a geared-up full-crit asmo ranger showed up and keeps ambushing all of the questers, one by one, over and over again.

No one called for help and I doubt any help would have come.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Ok... you should try asking for invites. In my experience most people react to a simple 'inv'.

You can also kill the melee elite mobs by ourself. The ones with the swords or daggers. And there are always non-elite mobs for all garrisons. For elite garrisons the riding mobs are always non-elites. But they respawn relatively slowly.

And as I said, if some ubergeared player camps a garrison just go somewhere else. People are too stupid to coordinate and work together in this game.

Another way to do the garrisons is to get up early, like 6 or 7 am and do the quests then. If you do this twice per week, you are certain to get almost all garrison weeklies.

Zero.
Apr 21, 2014
Hm I've been playing Aion back in those days where you had to play your monthly fee to play it and i even played it when it went free2play but with the time I just had the impression it went just more and more into pay2win :argh: . Also I got bored

Anyhow: is it worth coming back?

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

It's not worth a long time investment.

- Leveling one of the new classes and doing some sightseeing is ok. Maybe look at a few of the PvE instances if you find a good legion.

- PvP is bad and getting more and more P2W with every patch. Latest PvP P2W systems:
http://www.heavensreapers.com/awakening-system/ (implemented)
http://www.heavensreapers.com/new-equipment-added-feathers/ (upcoming)

- If you are interested in mass PvP: ranks are determined not by AP anymore. The points in the new GP system decay over time and depending on your rank. The theory is that you get GP for raid activity so that only active raiders will be able to morph. In practice there is a PvE instance where you can earn unlimited GP by buying and using instance cooldown reset scrolls. In NA it is also possible to convert AP to GP now. And it is easy to buy AP nowadays. So the whole system is hosed and mostly wallet warriors are high ranks.

Lucy Heartfilia fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Apr 22, 2014

Zero.
Apr 21, 2014
So Gameforge just made another game pay2win (read: killed it).

Well.
poo poo.

Used to be fun.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Zero. posted:

So Gameforge just made another game pay2win (read: killed it).

I believe you mean NCSoft, here.

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

It's not worth a long time investment.

- Leveling one of the new classes and doing some sightseeing is ok. Maybe look at a few of the PvE instances if you find a good legion.

- PvP is bad and getting more and more P2W with every patch. Latest PvP P2W systems:
http://www.heavensreapers.com/awakening-system/ (implemented)
http://www.heavensreapers.com/new-equipment-added-feathers/ (upcoming)

- If you are interested in mass PvP: ranks are determined not by AP anymore. The points in the new GP system decay over time and depending on your rank. The theory is that you get GP for raid activity so that only active raiders will be able to morph. In practice there is a PvE instance where you can earn unlimited GP by buying and using instance cooldown reset scrolls. In NA it is also possible to convert AP to GP now. And it is easy to buy AP nowadays. So the whole system is hosed and mostly wallet warriors are high ranks.
A while ago NCSoft sent out an in-game survey asking players about the new AP->GP and temperance systems. The questions were mostly along the lines of "how badly did we gently caress this game up? A lot? A whole lot? If you could change things (you can't), would you tweak the system or burn the whole drat thing down?"

I don't know what's going to happen in response to the survey. I'm going to guess nothing will happen because MMO designers are notorious for not simply reversing their bad decisions, opting instead to make more bad decisions that ostensibly fix problems caused by the original bad decisions.

ArchWizard fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Apr 22, 2014

Zero.
Apr 21, 2014

Schubalts posted:

I believe you mean NCSoft, here.

Uhm, please excuse me when Im wrong, but as far as I know NCSoft made a solid game (of course it had never been perfect, cant compare it with Guild Wars) but as soon as Gameforge took Aion the quality of the game went straight towards 0

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Zero. posted:

Uhm, please excuse me when Im wrong, but as far as I know NCSoft made a solid game (of course it had never been perfect, cant compare it with Guild Wars) but as soon as Gameforge took Aion the quality of the game went straight towards 0

NCSoft kept a lot of terrible decisions in, as well. NA was okay for a couple of months after F2P, then became absolutely terrible. Looking at what Square-Enix managed to do with Naoki Yashida taking the reins of FF14, it makes me sad for what Aion could have been as an actual Westernized game. It was so close, in so many ways, but KMMO balance and numbers ruined an amazing engine.

Niton fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Apr 22, 2014

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Zero. posted:

It's a bit more complicated:

NA Aion went P2W pretty early on after the F2P switch, while Gameforge avoided P2W for quite some time. Gameforge wasn't pure F2P though, because their subscription was basically mandatory. You could buy subscription items (like PLEX in Eve) from other players with ingame currency though, so it's still technically F2P. They got a lot of flak for that decision, even though it's a good model in my opinion.

Also the accessory tempering and feathers are purely ideas by NCsoft Korea.

But Gameforge is notorious for having bad translations, not enough personal for banning bots etc. And their connection to the devs isn't as good as NCsoft West. Also their servers are experiencing technical problems from time to time. So service and quality are overall worse in Europe. But they're still less P2W than NA.

But with the new post-4.5 systems both versions will be hopelessly P2W anyways, so it doesn't matter what else they decide to put in the shop.

ArchWizard posted:

A while ago NCSoft sent out an in-game survey asking players about the new AP->GP and temperance systems. The questions were mostly along the lines of "how badly did we gently caress this game up? A lot? A whole lot? If you could change things (you can't), would you tweak the system or burn the whole drat thing down?"

I don't know what's going to happen in response to the survey. I'm going to guess nothing will happen because MMO designers are notorious for not simply reversing their bad decisions, opting instead to make more bad decisions that ostensibly fix problems caused by the original bad decisions.

The damage has been done, because the AP hoarders were able to double dip their AP. (First the lossless conversion from AP to GP and then the exchange from AP to GP.) And the GP system is hosed anyways, because you can still buy your way up to the top with CS instance rest scrolls.

Lucy Heartfilia fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Apr 22, 2014

Zero.
Apr 21, 2014
Is there any future for the game?

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Zero. posted:

Is there any future for the game?

Nah. There were server merges in Korea a couple of weeks ago and NCsoft Korea is now in full milking the customers dry mode.

Edit: There should be an announcement of 5.0 sometime soon. We'll see if that will turn things around.

Lucy Heartfilia fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Apr 22, 2014

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
So how many of those medallions do you get from the weekly quests? I was looking around on a database site and came across gear that takes dozens per gold piece (which you can upgrade to eternal for a lot more ap/marks or buy outright?) and the gold stuff doesn't look bad.

The governor general-only gear I came across looks absolutely brutal.
http://aiondatabase.net/us/item/101301112/

At least NC Soft still has devs who know how to itemize properly. It's just two hands of murder.

http://aiondatabase.net/us/item/101301161/
Guessing this is some >1% drop rate item that you can get if you manage to be the #1 contributor in a fortress capture, or do these eternal boxes go to each person in a group/raid that ranks at #1?

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Evil Fluffy posted:

So how many of those medallions do you get from the weekly quests? I was looking around on a database site and came across gear that takes dozens per gold piece (which you can upgrade to eternal for a lot more ap/marks or buy outright?) and the gold stuff doesn't look bad.

Are you talking about the garrison quests for bloodmark gear?
1) Weeklies will give you around 360 per week and dailies around 80 per day. So if you do everything you can earn around 900 per week.
1) It's advisable to buy the orange gear immediately, because you can get it so quickly.
2) It's solid gear, but still noticeably worse than abyss gear. Good if you want to have a chance and still want to do something else with your life besides playing Aion.

Evil Fluffy posted:

The governor general-only gear I came across looks absolutely brutal.
http://aiondatabase.net/us/item/101301112/

At least NC Soft still has devs who know how to itemize properly. It's just two hands of murder.

Governor gear is awesome and doesn't cost much AP. But you have to be number one. And being number one costs real dollars nowadays.

Evil Fluffy posted:

http://aiondatabase.net/us/item/101301161/
Guessing this is some >1% drop rate item that you can get if you manage to be the #1 contributor in a fortress capture, or do these eternal boxes go to each person in a group/raid that ranks at #1?

It's an instance drop. Eternal Bastion. Drop rate is miserable, of course.

Zero.
Apr 21, 2014

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Nah. There were server merges in Korea a couple of weeks ago and NCsoft Korea is now in full milking the customers dry mode.

Edit: There should be an announcement of 5.0 sometime soon. We'll see if that will turn things around.

Hm that's sad, as I said I had a good time with that game.

But I doubt they will change the whole mechanics with 5.0 or at least the direction they implemented in the patches before

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

Oh, I guess I should post my final report:

I figured out what an aethercannon build actually does and it's stupidly obvious in retrospect: it turns a gunslinger into a mini-sorcerer. With cannons, gunslingers gain the ability to spike, deal splash damage, and use more varied CC abilities, but at the cost of the mobility that dualgunners enjoy. The big weakness of cannonslingers is that they don't get any of the survival skills that sorcerers virtually all other classes have, and it's not like gunslingers have many survival skills in the first place. This is kind of a problem in general, but is especially bad for a build that requires you to stand in place for several seconds before accomplishing anything.

In completely unrelated news, I have quit Aion because playing it makes me unhappy. I won't go into detail because it's not as if complaining will fix anything.

EDIT: Sorry for all the complaining I did before I realized this :shrug:

ArchWizard fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Apr 27, 2014

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Well, I've looked around and heard that it can be useful in a group setting, were other people provide more protection...

And I'm hardly surprised that you quit. Leveling and seeing the world is the only part of Aion that's still fun. Once.

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Well, I've looked around and heard that it can be useful in a group setting, were other people provide more protection...

And I'm hardly surprised that you quit. Leveling and seeing the world is the only part of Aion that's still fun. Once.
I thought about joining a legion to insulate me from the worst pugs but I was worried I'd just be choosing to be pissed off by pubbies in a different way. This is the one game that I fervently wished could have had an active goon guild to roll with.

Sometimes I think about deleting my characters and leveling an asmo or two. I could see new lands, try different classes, and enjoy the benefits of being on the side with the PvP advantage. Maybe when 5.0 comes out?

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

If the internet is right we'll hear about 5.0 before May. This will determine if I'll uninstall this game or if I'll give this game another chance.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Small update: NCsoft is now at least 6 months behind it's usual yearly update schedule. And the new update should have been out for 1 to 2 months in Korea. Maybe they've cancelled further development? I'm still looking for news on 5.0 everyday...

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Doubt they'd cancel development in korea. Aion is still NCsofts most profitable MMO over there.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

It's likely that the three new classes are the reason for the delay. Shouldn't have done that.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

New big patch for Aion Korea:
http://board.en.aion.gameforge.com/board23-aion-the-game/board26-general-discussion/20153-5-0-first-info-picture-warning/

It's all very mysterious right now. But we'll have to wait until the patch is live.

Edit: It's the patch 4.7.

Lucy Heartfilia fucked around with this message at 10:20 on May 12, 2014

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Patch 4.7 adds 4 cross server pvp areas to the game. Every area has one fortress and it can be conquered once per week in a 4 faction fortress raid with player numbers limited to 100 per faction.

http://www.daevasreport.com/2014/05/12/aion-4-7-new-land/

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Do goons still play this? I remember this coming out on steam and being so excited, but then I quit about level 30? as everything in the game just was complete poo poo and I hated it.

I saw player housing and got all excited on the website.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Nobody plays it and you shouldn't either.

• Locked thread