Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

This is pretty funny:

The devs are basically deleting the content from patch 3.0 and 4.0. They add 2 new areas or so and also revamp a bunch of systems and the usual stuff.
http://aionpowerbook.com/powerbook/New_World_Update_-_Environment#Removed_Areas
http://forums.na.aiononline.com/na/showthread.php?t=135512

BUT they also add another grindy gear enhancement system with stigma enchantments. So you still shouldn't play after the patch.

A small summary of the enchantment systems:
Weapon enchantment
Accessory enchantment
Feather enchantment
Mana stones
God stones
and now stigma enchantment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

There's the Roy I know and love.

"Aion is a bad game with bad people but I kinda miss it. Maybe I can reinstall and tool around in Sarpan since that's the one thing an undergeared endgamer can do without being worried about Ranger Danger."

Seriously, what's the justification for straight-up removing areas? It's not like players had trouble grasping the idea that stuff happening in Sarpan/Tiamaranta takes place at a different time than stuff that happens in Katalam. People in the thread you linked are speculating that devs from Aion 1.0-2.0 came back and are saying "what is this safe zone poo poo for pussies?" But if I were an old-timey dev I think I would be more concerned about virtually everything else the current dev team has done to gently caress up the PvP in a PvP-centric game.

ArchWizard fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Nov 14, 2014

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
That's funny, so what do new characters do to level up in those level ranged now? I stopped when I tried to do some of the PVE stuff and it was basically "you need 3k+ DPS as a DPS class but oh you're a gladiator so you can gently caress off because we'll just take literally any other DPS class instead of you unless you have +10-15 eternal gear but you can't because that only comes from PVE" because I rolled a class that is decent at a bunch of things meaning it's ultimately worthless outside of niche AOE bomb PVP that nobody does because it means not just bringing another SM, Sorc, or bullshit Gunner instead.

Aion's a bad game. It's Korean to its core so the stupidly excessive grind will never stop.

ArchWizard posted:

"Aion is a bad game with bad people but I kinda miss it. Maybe I can reinstall and tool around in Sarpan since that's the one thing an undergeared endgamer can do without being worried about Ranger Danger."

Seriously, what's the justification for straight-up removing areas? It's not like players had trouble grasping the idea that stuff happening in Sarpan/Tiamaranta takes place at a different time than stuff that happens in Katalam. People in the thread you linked are speculating that devs from Aion 1.0-2.0 came back and are saying "what is this safe zone poo poo for pussies?" But if I were an old-timey dev I think I would be more concerned about virtually everything else the current dev team has done to gently caress up the PvP in a PvP-centric game.

Eh the 1.0 devs don't get any room to bitch in this. The Abyss is an awesome concept but it was so utterly broken for PVP it's not funny. Moving around in flight tends to be fast enough that melee can't hit you because by the time each server tick happens you've both moved the distance of melee range unless the melee character has an extended 2-hander, then maybe they can hit you. You had to be a special kind of terrible to lose to melee classes consistently in the abyss. Several melee CC moves outright can't work on flying targets too, while a root + wing clip attack that managed to polish off someone's flight timer is an instant kill via falling death.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Not a single Aion dev is not pants on head retarded.

But removing content from the last 3 or so years is unheard of in MMOs I think. Its really strange.

Kuai
May 25, 2004
I guess FF14 1.0 removed content. Sort of....

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

EQ1 removed the original zones of the Plane of Hate and Mischief and replaced them with watered down or revamped versions, not a straight up removal though :v:

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

I've been listening to the new 4.8 soundtrack for a while now and...

God, I love this game so much. I still listen regularly to the soundtrack and check Daevasreport and the forums weekly. What is wrong with me? Why is this game so bad? Curse you NCsoft.

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

I'm listening to The Wings of Knight right now and it's giving me hell of feels. Why do I miss a game I could download and play at any time?

I wonder if I should play on a private server. A completely private server that only I have access to.

Cindare
Dec 20, 2006
If Aion was a multiplayer game a la Neverwinter Nights, then I'd play the hell out of it.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
If Aion was a good game I'd play the hell out of it. Well if it was good game and the ever-shrinking playerbase wasn't full of toxic elitist shitheads who would sooner do nothing than take people to run content for the first time BECAUSE GUYS WE MIGHT NOT WIN AND I CAN'T TAKE NOT HAVING A GUARANTEED WIN :supaburn:

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Guess who reinstalled Aion yesterday and already has a new Asmo and Elyos char both on level 20+? I scrambled the password and email of my old account. It didn't help. I just made a new one.

That loving 4.8 soundtrack made me do it. (Ok, being bored with GW2 might be another factor, heh.)

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Guess who reinstalled Aion yesterday and already has a new Asmo and Elyos char both on level 20+? I scrambled the password and email of my old account. It didn't help. I just made a new one.

That loving 4.8 soundtrack made me do it. (Ok, being bored with GW2 might be another factor, heh.)
Make a new goon guild on the Asmo side please.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Nah. I'll just level to 55 or maybe the cap and then stop. I'll never try to compete in the PvP side of this game again. Not with this ever increasing equipment improvement grind. And the PvE endgame in Aion was never interesting to me.

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Nah. I'll just level to 55 or maybe the cap and then stop. I'll never try to compete in the PvP side of this game again. Not with this ever increasing equipment improvement grind. And the PvE endgame in Aion was never interesting to me.
You're the one who said Blood Marks were easy to get with a group. If there were a new goon guild, it'd be easy to make a group :colbert:

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
So how easy is it for someone to just solo level to the cap in this game? Highest I ever got was 20-something but that was 3 some years ago, and I'm reinstalling the game now that I know I can play as a gundam.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

ArchWizard posted:

You're the one who said Blood Marks were easy to get with a group. If there were a new goon guild, it'd be easy to make a group :colbert:

They are, I had picked up a (mostly?) full set of Blood Mark eq in maybe a month? Considering that stuff to be the basic gear for its level. It's still a good bit weaker than any AP gear and its stats aren't all that great for PVE and before I quit the last time I was playing I had people outright turn me down for even the 'easiest' pve raid stuff because my gear wasn't good enough to them since it was only bloodmark (even with +10 on the weapons). I was also a gladiator and that class is still treated like poo poo by everyone because if you want a tank you get a templar if you want an offtank you get another templar or well ok maybe a gladiator oh you don't have +15 purple pve gear lol nm we'll take another leather/cloth class instead.

Just download the soundtrack and save yourself some frustration.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Verranicus posted:

So how easy is it for someone to just solo level to the cap in this game? Highest I ever got was 20-something but that was 3 some years ago, and I'm reinstalling the game now that I know I can play as a gundam.

It's super easy and fast.

PvP endgame got way worse over time. PvE endgame is still underwhelming. Stop playing once you are max level.

And as you can tell from Evil Fluffy's post, the community is garbage. Mostly elitist assholes and sociopaths.

Lucy Heartfilia fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Dec 11, 2014

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

It's super easy and fast.

PvP endgame got way worse over time. PvE endgame is still underwhelming. Stop playing once you are max level.

And as you can tell from Evil Fluffy's post, the community is garbage. Mostly elitist assholes and sociopaths.

Yeah, I've been casually reading up on the game recently and have come to see that. I'm really just wanting to quest my way to the level cap and take some pretty screenshots like I do with most MMOs. FFXIV is my main game right now, I just wanted a little casual side thing.

Semi-related question, do the factions have completely different questlines? Curious if it'd be worth running through once on each faction for the different zones/quests.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Yeah. Completely separate. Up to level 55 even on different maps. As leveling is pretty fast nowadays it can be worth it, if you are interested in MMO lore.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Yeah. Completely separate. Up to level 55 even on different maps. As leveling is pretty fast nowadays it can be worth it, if you are interested in MMO lore.

Thanks! It's a shame the game is so devoid of goons and seems to be being run into the ground (I read about how the company hosting the EU servers is somehow even worse than NCSoft), because it's still pretty and decent for an eastern MMO.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Verranicus posted:

I know I can play as a gundam.

Wait hold up. I'm going to need some details here.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

chumbler posted:

Wait hold up. I'm going to need some details here.

They added three new classes:

Gunslinger, which has pistols or a giant arm cannon.

Bard, which has a harp and is annoyingly girly.

And finally aethertech, which uses a keyblade that turns into a walking mech. The mech has an open top and can look anything from rusty pile of poo poo to slick high tech murder machine. It's role is magic tank, mid range melee dps thingy.

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

The mech has an open top and can look anything from rusty pile of poo poo to slick high tech murder machine.
Yeah, it's not a gundam. It's more like Magitek armor.

Wait a minute... Magitek armor... keyblade... oh god :gonk:

QQmore
Jan 10, 2010

ArchWizard posted:

Yeah, it's not a gundam. It's more like Magitek armor.

Wait a minute... Magitek armor... keyblade... oh god :gonk:

Anime as gently caress

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

I have to say that they really imroved the flow so far. Just doing the dark blue quests and the campaign quests will net you tons of XP and good leveling equipment. And if you want to do instances (meh) you can get even bigger rewards from quests. There are also red quests which usually just hand out nice things, too.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
I've been reading the official forums on and off and it's pretty amusing to see how salty some of the veteran players are about Aethertech not belonging in "their" game.

EDIT: Is there anywhere I can snag a complete OST for the game? Aside from the never ending Christmas poo poo in Sanctum the music is tops.

Verranicus fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Dec 12, 2014

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Very sad to say that checking this out almost a year later they still package the NCUpdateHelper bloatware/malware/torrent poo poo in the background. Guess I won't get back into Aion.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

It's not worth checking it out anyways.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Turns out my old account still existed and I found this dashing fellow never got deleted.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Smug motherfucker.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Because he's knows I'm a filthy casual who will never get to the end-game.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

You can poopsock and never get to the endgame with how elitist and toxic the community is. Doesn't help that the content is all setup around timers and getting people to pay to bypass timers when possible, resulting in others not wanting to risk taking someone new to a fight and losing.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

The endgame sucks anyways. lovely instances, lovely rewards.

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

Evil Fluffy posted:

Just download the soundtrack and save yourself some frustration.
I've been listening to the soundtrack lately and now I want to play again. Thanks Aiobama.

EDIT: A mysterious force took over my computer and downloaded the Aion client oh noooo

ArchWizard fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Mar 21, 2015

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

ArchWizard posted:

I've been listening to the soundtrack lately and now I want to play again. Thanks Aiobama.

EDIT: A mysterious force took over my computer and downloaded the Aion client oh noooo

My condolences.

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

My condolences.
I'm an Asmo Aethertech on Tiamat server and I'm okay with it. I like the part where my bastion covers my stupid-rear end mane. Stupid rear end-mane.

Why are we called Aethertechs if Bastions run on ide, not aether?

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Someone hosed up I guess. Whats the Korean name?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

ArchWizard posted:

I'm an Asmo Aethertech on Tiamat server and I'm okay with it. I like the part where my bastion covers my stupid-rear end mane. Stupid rear end-mane.

Why are we called Aethertechs if Bastions run on ide, not aether?

Is Tiamat still heavily overpopulated with Elyos and are the Elyos still lazy infighting shits?

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

Evil Fluffy posted:

Is Tiamat still heavily overpopulated with Elyos and are the Elyos still lazy infighting shits?
Judging from the fort balance: Still overpopulated with Elyos. No idea if there's infighting because it's not like I can hang out in their world chat.

I chose Tiamat because the Asmodian Initiative is still going on. That poo poo started over a year ago and I'm still getting the rewards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Oh hey look. The NCUpdateHelper bullshit still exists.

gently caress NCWest.

• Locked thread