Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Punting
Sep 9, 2007
I am very witty: nit-witty, dim-witty, and half-witty.

They're probably people of the "ALL SPIRIT ANIMALS MUST BE BEAUTIFUL MAJESTIC POWER CREATURES WHAT IS THIS INSECTILE FILTH" stripe. There's a surprising number of people who legitimately, for some reason, don't feel like :airquote: "lesser" :airquote: animals or "icky" creatures could ever represent someone spiritually.

E: well that's certainly one way to start a new page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Not my fault you trogs can't deal with the majestic beauty of the giant isopod.

Your dumb wolf doesn't even have a 2km crush depth.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Punting posted:

They're probably people of the "ALL SPIRIT ANIMALS MUST BE BEAUTIFUL MAJESTIC POWER CREATURES WHAT IS THIS INSECTILE FILTH" stripe. There's a surprising number of people who legitimately, for some reason, don't feel like :airquote: "lesser" :airquote: animals or "icky" creatures could ever represent someone spiritually.

E: well that's certainly one way to start a new page.

That and it's obviously a joke which some people can't handle.

If you look almost all the animals chosen are apex predators or cute animals people like. Or common pets. Picking an animal that is pretty universally loathed and viewed as a pest is wrong.

The specifics aren't all that interesting. Mostly along the lines of "what is wrong with you?" Or getting mad about making fun of something.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

DicktheCat posted:

Maybe this person just watched too much Transformers and really dug Devastator? Now that I think about it, how come the badguys always got to be cool poo poo like tanks and jets and stuff?

Transformer planet had a war between civilian transformers and warrior transformers. Decepticons were thus all military vehicles and the Autobots were all, well, cars and stuff.

Fake edit: oh poo poo, trap sprung!

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Don't bother defending someone who thinks they're an owl or whatever, their head is busted. just quietly sit back and let them own themselves.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

That drat Satyr posted:

Excuse me you left out PINK JETS © DICK THE CAT 2016-2016 DO NOT COPY ALTER OR REDISTRIBUTE

Oh poo poo! Now anyone can steal it!! It won't be the only pink jet MYLIFEISRUINED.

seriously, though, I did gently caress up by not naming it a 'cuckpit' instead of the cockpit.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

CommissarMega posted:

Ahahaha, could you get into the specifics of this? How would your spirit animal somehow offend them, even if you were joking?
I'd imagine it's the not-even-slightly-veiled mockery of their belief system that's the offensive part, just at a guess.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Those poor babies.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Whilst there is the mockery of their belief system that gets otherkins all riled when you say your spirit animal is a dung beetle, or a tick, it is also because you are "doing it wrong".

If they truly believed that they were soulbonded, (or whatever), with animals and that other people could be soulbonded with any other animal, then it would be fine.

But I reckon that most of the outrage comes because, deep down they know they are just playing pretend, you aren't playing along properly.

It's like when you were a kid and playing with your wrestling figures, and some kid from down the block brings a barbie, or a transformer.

e.g.
"Pow! Whallop! Hulk Hogan just punched you!"

"Yeah, well Starscream just shot you in the face with his lasers."

It stops being fun if the other kids aren't playing 'right'. And to the furries/otherkin/whatever they're calling themselves, to play 'right' means you have to be a wolf, or a dragon, or an ocelot etc.

I'd imagine it would be the same when someone would decide to be biologically correct with the behaviour they were internet chatting/RPing about.

Starlightkittenwings34: "*mews and licks her paws sexily*"

FelisCatus: "Does a poo poo in your shoe and drags the carcass of a sparrow across the kitchen floor"

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Sometimes a little mockery is necessary to pop the bubble. Otherwise people convince themselves that Final Fantasy 7 is real and they have the souls of Sephiroth and Cloud.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

BrigadierSensible posted:

It's like when you were a kid and playing with your wrestling figures, and some kid from down the block brings a barbie, or a transformer.

e.g.
"Pow! Whallop! Hulk Hogan just punched you!"

"Yeah, well Starscream just shot you in the face with his lasers."

Hogan vs Starscream would be dope as hell.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

Defiance Industries posted:

Sometimes a little mockery is necessary to pop the bubble. Otherwise people convince themselves that Final Fantasy 7 is real and they have the souls of Sephiroth and Cloud.

Yes. All of the crazy stories in this thread developed because of a deficiency of enough mockery in these people's lives. If they had only been more connected to other people around them, those other people could call them out on the crazy poo poo they were trying to pull/say/believe and prevented it.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Vorgen posted:

Yes. All of the crazy stories in this thread developed because of a deficiency of enough mockery in these people's lives. If they had only been more connected to other people around them, those other people could call them out on the crazy poo poo they were trying to pull/say/believe and prevented it.

Or perhaps at least helped prevent other people from getting caught up in it too.

A few weeks into my freshman year, my RA came to me to ask just what I knew about some of the people my roommate was hanging out with. She was worried because a couple were known to be all about Crowley, "Magick," etc. and she worried about people being sucked into that.

Being able to vouch for my roommate's sanity versus his impressionability really put her mind at ease, and also really cemented my respect for her. (Of course, it also helped that at our school, RAs were "resources," not "cops," and the school treated adult students like adults.)

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Spiritual marriage to Sephiroth on the astral plane is a symptom of abuse/neglect coupled with potential untreated mental diseases (that are probably also symptoms of abuse).

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Vorgen posted:

Yes. All of the crazy stories in this thread developed because of a deficiency of enough mockery in these people's lives.

Mind blown, someone notify the APA to update the DSM.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Spiritual marriage to Sephiroth on the astral plane is a symptom of abuse/neglect coupled with potential untreated mental diseases (that are probably also symptoms of abuse).
Better coping mechanism than shooting people. :shrug:

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Poison Mushroom posted:

Better coping mechanism than shooting people. :shrug:

I don't know about that. A whole lot of the stories here seem to prove those types can be emotionally devastating to those around them. Maybe it would be better if they DID shoot someone, so they could be taken off the streets and put somewhere where they could get some help.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Samizdata posted:

Maybe it would be better if they DID shoot someone

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
How about NOT partial quoting me, eh?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Samizdata posted:

How about NOT

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

Rexides posted:

Mind blown, someone notify the APA to update the DSM.

are you... are you mocking me?

Hmm, I guess I should change my behavior.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
What would I do without my dose of goon humor at it's finest?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Samizdata posted:

at it's finest?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Aren't a lot of the "spiritual/astral marriage" people just people who are really weird about masturbation normally, but have no problem with masturbating if they can tell themselves it's "astral sex"? Which isn't really from abuse that often.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

super sweet best pal posted:

Hogan vs Starscream would be dope as hell.

Putting $5 on Hogan.

ruffy senpai
Feb 20, 2016

follow me on twitter
ten on hogan

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

CommissarMega posted:

I'd give my nuts to be a Space Marine etc.

Pretty sure that's part of the process, yes.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Not to give away too much information, I have a 9 year old student who is really, sometimes violently, insistent that TV characters are her real-life family members, or otherwise connected to her in real life somehow. She'll act as though they are present in the room at wildly inappropriate moments, as well as interrupt people to tell elaborate stories about what she and her imaginary friends did.

I'm pretty concerned that she's going to end up like the people in this thread. What, if anything, can I do to gently guide her away from that fate?

Right now, I (and it turns out other teachers with whom I hadn't talked about this prior) have just been telling her that I don't want to hear about it right now, but if she wants to write about it, I'll gladly read it. I've also been contradicting her when she makes statements about her personal life that I know for sure are patently false.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

VideoTapir posted:

Not to give away too much information, I have a 9 year old student who is really, sometimes violently, insistent that TV characters are her real-life family members, or otherwise connected to her in real life somehow. She'll act as though they are present in the room at wildly inappropriate moments, as well as interrupt people to tell elaborate stories about what she and her imaginary friends did.

I'm pretty concerned that she's going to end up like the people in this thread. What, if anything, can I do to gently guide her away from that fate?

Right now, I (and it turns out other teachers with whom I hadn't talked about this prior) have just been telling her that I don't want to hear about it right now, but if she wants to write about it, I'll gladly read it. I've also been contradicting her when she makes statements about her personal life that I know for sure are patently false.

What's her home life like? This reminds me of the Tracey Beaker books where the main character pretends her mum is actually a famous actress shooting on location, because its far better to think that than dealing with the unpleasant reality that your mum is self-absorbed and dumped you into foster care because being a mum was inconvenient.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Nine years old seems to be the perfect time for making up wild fantasies about yourself. It's after puberty when it starts getting worrying.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Yeah, my first concern would be the kid's home life, but if that's not an issue, probably just focus on keeping her on task. Nothing you're describing sounds a ton crazier than most 9-year-olds I went to school with, especially if it's just scattershot stories and not a persistent fantasy life.

uglynoodles
May 28, 2009

9 is definitely old enough to have developed a solid understanding of what's real life and what's pretend. I'd really be concerned about her home life.
It could just be nothing, but kids with "overactive imaginations" usually have some emotional difficulty. I know I did, and I definitely know Denise did.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
Yeah, if you are in a school with a counselor or mental health professional, I'd bring it up with them, especially if her behavior seems to be getting worse.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

VideoTapir posted:

Talk to the school counselor/psychologist if you have one.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
The good news: if she's actually nine, she's probably too young for schizophrenia.

The bad news is everything else.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Antivehicular posted:

Yeah, my first concern would be the kid's home life, but if that's not an issue, probably just focus on keeping her on task. Nothing you're describing sounds a ton crazier than most 9-year-olds I went to school with, especially if it's just scattershot stories and not a persistent fantasy life.

It's persistent. The broad strokes only change when she picks up a new TV show or book series. (And so far it's always been one I'm familiar with, so I can spot it right away.)

Her home life is fine so far as I know. But yes, emotional problems. (That's why she's in my class.)

I've tried to steer her toward writing. What I'm wondering about, especially since a lot of you folks have been immersed in it, is whether the fan fiction community as a whole would be a good outlet for this kind of thing, or whether it is more likely to make things worse in the long run.

edit: I mean she'll probably find it on her own eventually, I mean whether I can steer her in that direction with a clear conscience.

VideoTapir fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Nov 26, 2016

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
I would under no circumstances expose a nine year old to the slippery slope to horror and psychological damage that is the fanfic community.

I mean, holy poo poo.

EDIT: Okay, to clarify, not all fanfiction and not all of the community is quite that poisonous. But without the ability to monitor and filter the type of fanfic that she's consuming, and the community she's interacting with, I'd be extremely concerned that she'd be exposed to a lot of stuff that no nine year old should encounter.

Lemniscate Blue fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Nov 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Lemniscate Blue posted:

I would under no circumstances expose a nine year old to the slippery slope to horror and psychological damage that is the fanfic community.

I mean, holy poo poo.

EDIT: Okay, to clarify, not all fanfiction and not all of the community is quite that poisonous. But without the ability to monitor and filter the type of fanfic that she's consuming, and the community she's interacting with, I'd be extremely concerned that she'd be exposed to a lot of stuff that no nine year old should encounter.

Her independent entry is not that much of an immediate danger; her reading level isn't quite up to it. Just whether I should remind her that this thing exists, maybe pick out a few suitable stories. (Her current favorite thing is not very popular fanfic wise, and everything I've seen is fine.)

I mean if you have a weirdo enter that community, are they more likely to become more weird, or more likely to get it out of their system in a harmless way?

• Locked thread