Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Jyrraeth posted:

I remember reading about a similar theory in a Scientific American in my childhood. Where they compared it to a foaming pint of beer, and each bubble was an alternate universe.

The wackiest theory along these lines that gets taken remotely seriously by scientists is Max Tegmark's "ultimate ensemble hypothesis", which holds that all universes that can be described in an internally consistent manner by mathematical laws actually exist. So that's about the limit of how nutty you can be and still find work as a theoretical physicist. His argument for believing in the ultimate ensemble is basically that there's no particular reason not to... which is not very compelling unless you already have some other reason to want to believe in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Ophelia Swims posted:

But then my friend convinced herself that she was some kind of special vessel that the characters would actually, reawwy reawwy manifest through. Once she drew this convoluted, circular symbol thing and told me that it had come to her in a vision and it was some kind of key. She said she was being inspired by the "Fae" of whom Jareth of Labyrinth fame was the king and overseer (can you guess what her favorite movie was?) who were imbuing her with these powers of communication from another realm. I would grill her about the hinkier bits of her theory and she would come up with lazy explanations. i'm pretty sure that this all stemmed from low self-esteem and boredom at home, being the token fat kid with bushy eyebrows and a bad self-dye job in our grade and living at home in a tiny apartment with no car and no siblings due to her mom's mental issues and their general economic status.

This story is extra funny, seeing as how the message of Labyrinth is basically "at some point you have to grow up, break out of your shell of comforting fantasies and realise that the world doesn't exist for your benefit". Good to hear she eventually took that to heart and got her poo poo sorted out.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Croisquessein posted:

What I don't get is how she can be so anime-sex obsessed and then get confused and embarrassed when real sex is mentioned. I get she has an idealized view of sex gleaned from comics and video games, so she can't deal with the reality of it, especially given her shut-in lifestyle, but to be so unfamiliar with her own physical response to such things is odd. And if she isn't interested in getting off, all she has to say is, "I enjoy viewing it but I don't masturbate to it" or maybe "I'm into the emotional aspects of it" which would be a perfectly valid response. Some people don't masturbate, that's fine, but "I don't know how" is just bizarre in light of her interests.

There seems to be a lot of sublimated sexuality going on with crazy soulbonder types in general. Look at this TVTropes thread by DarkLadyCelebrian, who I'm pretty sure has been mentioned before in this thread, describing what soulbonding feels like.

She seems to identify as asexual, but try and tell me there's nothing sexual about this:

quote:

Think of Jean... with your face pressed against hers like you do with your guardians all the time... resting your chin on her shoulder... her hair falling over your face.... there. The Wow expresses its gratitude by throwing those pleasant, calm sensations at me as it goes up. I cannot help but wonder how this is feeling for Jean. I always wonder that when I have a tougher Wow. Emma's probably told Jean about me already though so she probably suspects what's going on here. Yes, you're welcome, Jean Wow.

Or this:

quote:

Morrigan's getting closer. I was finally able to get her to move while I was looking at some videos earlier while trying to calm an anxiety attack. I basically just used a vid of a series of convos between her and Leliana (who was my first Dragon Age bond).

This woman is an rear end in a top hat.

This woman is a bitchface.

This woman makes me want to alternately slap her and toss her off a cliff.

I do not like her. I do not like people like her.

I can't wait to get hold of her! :)

Because I know how to deal with bitchfaces. And I'm gonna deal with this one. I'm gonna deal with this one. I'll grab you by the heartstrings in less than a week or your money back, Morrigan. Just you wait!

I don't have much else to say on the matter.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Khazar-khum posted:

He easily commands all the attention in a room, probably because he is a good actor and raconteur. If he had played his cards right he might have had an acting career. At one time he and Pete wanted to make movies. If they had actually tried they might have succeeded. Instead they spent all their time yakking, planning, and holding court over people who were in awe of them, because they had Dreams and they were going to Make It Big. It never occurred to them to shut up and get to work.

After your previous story, I was wondering if Bill was hanging around all those weirdos because he got off on the idea of being the biggest fish in a very small pond. Sounds like I wasn't too far off.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

bringmyfishback posted:

Every Karen I've ever known has been crazy beyond all reason.

I have a friend who was in an abusive relationship with a Karen for several years. She once caused him to get a serious ear infection by giving him a wet willy with menstrual blood, and afterwards treated the whole thing like it was some huge joke. :gonk:

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

General Panic posted:

The person who posted about a friend who thought her mother was a religious prophet actually made me wonder about how you draw the line between craziness and religious inspiration. What's the difference between a girl who thinks she's married to anime characters and a girl who thinks she's seen a vision of saints telling her to liberate her country from foreign invaders?

From a mental health perspective, the difference is basically whether your subculture accepts your views as valid beliefs that a reasonable person can hold.

... which is to say, for some of the people described in this thread there may not be that much difference after all.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Trilineatus posted:

Also, something about David Bowie's hypnotic crotch really makes girls crazy about Labyrinth - I've never met a "true fan" of the movie who wasn't either a high schooler in a peasant-skirt-and-crystal-jewelry phase or a complete nutter. My sympathies, my sympathies.

The irony is that the film's core message is that spending your whole life wrapped up in escapist fantasies will hurt you and the people close to you. It's not exactly subtle about it either. It takes a pretty impressive lack of self-awareness and critical thinking skills to treat Labyrinth itself as an escapist fantasy -- come to think of it, maybe that's exactly why the people who do manage to do so are universally so far off the deep end.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

So there was a big news story here in Australia last year about a guy who held an 18-year-old woman hostage in her own home with a fake bomb strapped to her neck. His psychiatric evaluation has just been released. Money quote from the article:

quote:

This psychosis was particularly apparent when discussing a book Mr Peters had spent over a decade obsessively writing, the court heard.

"The moment he began to talk about the book his thought processes became fragmented, he became hard to follow, he appeared to merge himself with one and perhaps two characters in the book," Dr Phillips said.

The court heard Mr Peters had lost considerable sums of money before the attempted extortion and had subsequently described both himself and one of the book's characters, John Chan, saying: "We can't be in this situation. We are humiliated."

Dr Phillips said Mr Peters "had been psychotic off and on over a period of weeks, even months" before the alleged extortion attempt.

"He speaks about Chan and himself as separate, then he merges Chan and himself into a single person, then he moves back and forth," Dr Phillips said.

Most people who get way too into fiction are probably harmless except to themselves, but if someone close to you is losing touch with reality or talking about harming others, it's worth taking any threatening language they use seriously.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Colon V posted:

IIRC, the WoD games answered this by saying that, much how vampires could use their magic blood powers to fake a blush, and other such living-people things, they could also use them to give themselves vampire-zombie boners. Please don't ask me why I know that. :eng99:\

I think it's also mentioned that WoD vampires don't get any pleasure from sex and basically just use it to socially manipulate people if they do it at all. Being a vampire isn't really supposed to be a happy or desirable state, but fetishists gonna fetishise.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

MinistryofLard posted:

I want to see teenage fantasy literature all about trying to romance goblins.

Okay I don't want to see it, but I'd probably read it for hilarity value.

Well, if Labyrinth counts... :v:

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

BizarroAzrael posted:

It's a bit separate from the actual story, but is transitioning from straight female to gay male usual? I knew a gay guy with a girlfriend who was going to transition, it was pretty much all she would talk about at the party I met her at, including butting into a conversation to volenteer to model for life drawing after the op.

It's not rare at all: anecdotally, somewhere in the neighbourhood of 50% of trans people of either gender are attracted to people of the gender they've transitioned to.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

The Leper Colon V posted:

I'd get right the hell behind the concept of a God [made] of Lead.

Coincidentally, Saturn was the god of time (among other things) in Roman mythology, and the planet Saturn was associated by mediaeval alchemists with the metal lead. :tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

AlbieQuirky posted:

I'm going to reveal my ignorance by asking if there is any state in the US which allows private prosecution of criminal offenses? Or did you mean "civil damages" instead of "criminal charges"?

The poster's already clarified what they meant, but for what it's worth Virginia, Rhode Island and New Hampshire still allow private prosecutions under some circumstances (usually only for misdemeanors), and several other states allow private citizens to file criminal complaints which may lead to a state prosecution being initiated.

• Locked thread