Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
look back and forth at what hussie and toby released in the past several months and you might at least get some chuckles out of this whole caper

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
oh yeah i actually forgot about that minor fracas

AH: writing is easy, art is hard

*comic's plot ollie-oopsies onto a two-year mobius strip staircase made entirely of boners*

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

I looked up Friendsim and you have to buy all of it individually, call me back when I can just get it all with one click.

there's an option to buy all the episodes at once in Steam

that i will not take, because i am thoroughly trolled out by now

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Freak Futanari posted:

counterpoint: gamzee wasnt as much a character as he was a prop that hussie used to try to gloss over how stupid and incomprehensible the story was by saying "eh, gamzee did it" when things didnt make sense

this is why i prefer to believe he spent pretty much the entirety of act 6 as a brainwashed catspaw for aranea no matter how little sense it actually makes

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
didn’t she write promstuck

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

The Lobotomy Kid posted:

Kind of a deep cut but the epilogue kind of reminds me of Grant Morrison's Flex Mentallo miniseries, just without the part where the story reaches a climax and the themes running throughout it get properly addressed in a satisfying manner. I forget what that part of the narrative it called, but I'm sure you know what I'm talking about.

denouement

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i have not cared or paid attention to anything homestuck-related in a long while but Star Fetchers is a bizarre free indie game prologue that dropped last month and gave me extremely strong "dave strider swordfighting on a rooftop" vibes for its 45-minute duration, if anyone is interested

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the ends were bad! goodnight! *slams trashcan lid*

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

GunnerJ posted:

Didn't watch the long rear end video, what's the deal?

from the BYOB webcomics thread:

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Since Homestuck and Hussie's racist cannibal comic (I skip it and that's literally the only page I've looked at for more than two seconds lol) are getting posted here I'm going to now post more words than I ever thought I would post about Homestuck:

So this video was posted back in April by youtuber Sarah Z, who does these long form video histories

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohFyOjfcLWQ

It's pretty long and frankly kind of uninteresting but it details the history of Homestuck and the kickstarted videogame they still haven't bothered to finish almost a decade later. Whatever, par for the course, a standard youtuber critical work. Or so you'd think, until the youtuber received DMs and emails from the company making the videogame, What Pumpkin, demanding that she take down her video and edit out portions of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsM9bQvpt_c

Again, video long, you probably don't need to watch all of that unless you're really interested in Homestuck drama. Apparently they went into full damage control over this, which included sending legal threats, making a kickstarter post detailing exactly how all the kickstarter funds were used, and even (falsely) claiming that they had to spend thousands in legal fees to respond to all the damaging information. They even went so far as to bring Andrew Hussie himself into the email chain. The video is pretty long so I'll just mention my favorite parts:

-When Hussie, in the middle of a hugely condescending email where he tells the youtuber he'd be happy to help her make "more interesting content," admits he hasn't actually seen the video in question
-When he admits that they actually had a draft of that kickstarter post ready to go, and it definitely wasn't made in response to her video
-When he claims that we'll never know if they posted the update in response to her video because we can't see the world where Sarah Z didn't post the video
-When he admits that they didn't credit a former employee for their work because the person might have made a negative post about working for WP
-When Hussie, something like ten emails later, admits he still hasn't watched the video his people are upset about

And even better, throughout the entire ordeal, neither Hussie nor the original exec sending the snide legal threats would actually state exactly what information in the original video was wrong nor would they provide any documentation proving it was wrong. Their entire claim seemed to be that someone who used to work with them had "poisoned the well" and "brainwashed" people into thinking working for the lovely company that can't finish a product and laid people off without warning was bad, a totally crazy idea they couldn't have developed unless someone with a vendetta were out to get them. My conclusion after watching the video: Hussie is a loving moron and a condescending rear end in a top hat to boot.

And my favorite quote from Hussie's emails: "Transparency isn't a black and white concept." :thunk:

or,

https://twitter.com/dril/status/549425182767861760

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Burkion posted:

Genuinely can't even tell if this is a joke

it isn't

or at least, the legend of the wish-granting toblerone was passed around years ago and given as the reason for why john is now trans

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ArfJason posted:

(e: i dont remember what the name of the scam was but basically convincing someone thru a third party somethig is worth a lot)

goldbricking, I think

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
kankri was a bullying rear end in a top hat who used woke rhetoric as a shield for his cruelty. those people are real and they’re common, they’re just kind of quaint in light of all the contemporary Nazis

e: if we adapted his character for this brave new world of “like seven years later” then he’d probably be a TERF

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Feb 17, 2022

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
there’s no nuance about it, it’s just a fact. it’s part of the text. it becomes undeniable when he essentially tells the most severely handicapped member of their party that his existence is itself problematic, and the fact that this guy happens to be dating the girl kankri’s crushing on is, of course, strictly coincidental

it’s not like we didn’t see the exact same thing on these forums, with a handful of malcontents screaming “transphobe” and “racist” at everyone who looked at them side-eyed while literally drawing up enemy lists and secret plans to coup the admin team

e: like in the very same walkaround karkat outright says he’s just a prick who sticks to a calm and reasonable voice. kankri’s problem wasn’t that he used Social justice rhetoric, it’s that he used it strictly for his own self-aggrandizement (and occasionally as a way to demean others). I wasn’t surprised to see this comic’s waning discourse retcon him as a critique of the perfidious SJW’s

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Feb 17, 2022

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

maltesh posted:

Yeah, I'm enjoying it, too. It's also making me want to glance through the previous MSPA threads. Anyone have links to those? I don't seem to be able to find them in the archives.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3185668
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3364012
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3407458

those are all the ones i could find

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
pooeuvre

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
e: scanning this basterds poster's history i realize that getting involved with their opinions is inadvisable

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Sep 3, 2022

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Delphisage posted:

Hey there, I'm a new poster here who's been reading Homestuck over the summer.

I just made it to the "caucasian" joke. So I heard this was the point where every forum and Tumblr got overrun with chuds harassing anyone who depicts the kids as nonwhite, but I can't understand why they felt vindicatedto do it over something that's so obviously an expression of hatred towards fans in general - dressing Jake and Jane up in diabetes and having them say lovey-dovey dialogue so soon after he pulled a "You must be crushing on someone other than me" trope unironically to split the characters off from communicating.

if you're talking about Jollystuck then the "caucasian" thing had little to do with right-wingers overrunning the discourse, tumblr was on a constant hair trigger at the time and took the first mention of the characters' ethnicity as erasure, so hussie in his usual fashion decided to pull the same gag after the initial firestorm and then edited it to "peachy" a week later when the coals had cooled off

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Delphisage posted:

Well, if that's the story, then how come everyone else says it was backlash that scared Hussie into redacting his joke and also erasing all mention of the characters being white from older pages?

i have never been involved in the larger homestuck discourse, but apparently "everyone" also says now that kankri is a mean-spirited jab at leftist discourse instead of a fairly accurate portrayal of a fairly common type of lunatic in fandoms at the time. if people are rewriting history so that hussie was "scared" of them instead of deliberately provoking them with another tasteless joke then i wouldn't be surprised

in the latter half of homestuck he didn't seem to care about the comic's fans at all so much as some nebulous idea of "fandom" that he mined for meta gags and (increasingly unsuccessful) plot developments. jollystuck itself is basically what you'd get if you applied a Super Star to a game that's supposed to be about personal development, so all the characters launch into literally saccharine cliches to get their conflicts and resolutions over with as quickly as possible only to wake up with a crushing hangover, sucking worse than ever

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the alpha kids were intended to have more “grounded” problems and personality clashes than the beta kids and especially the trolls, and as the players of a failed session there’s also much more hostility and communication failure between them. the issue was that, as you noticed, their conflict was just a different and way more tedious set of cliches

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
jake is an infuriating, passive, self centered git but he was also never given the faculties or the opportunity to behave any other way, so there wasn’t even any catharsis in the escalating mockery and abuse he went through. the comic locked this kid in the stocks and threw eggs at him and then made fun of him for having egg on his face

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

dipwood posted:

The most unbelievable part about Dirk is how he's into Jake in the first place. Jake has no redeeming qualities even from Dirk's perspective.

jake’s redeeming quality from dirk’s perspective was that dirk was into him. because dirk is a socially stunted giga-narcissist, he was pursuing jake as a project instead of a person, which left him completely at a loss when it came time to do things like share interests and hold conversations that didn’t involve traumatic head injuries

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
caliborn’s extreme persistence also needs to be mentioned in any analysis of him - he’s capable of complicated problem solving but solves them in the most tedious and circuitous way imaginable. I don’t know what that represents but it’s still a key part of his character, and maybe the only one that’s not a total negative

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

egg tats posted:

that, too, is a way he mirrors toxic fans. maybe the most important fact about them is that they won't ever stop obsessing over something that they hate, even though they have either never liked it, or haven't liked it in months or years.

i don't buy that comparison, though, because his persistence isn't based in obsessive consumption (that's actually closer to how his sister behaves) but meticulous accomplishment. homestuck is bad but even i don't think it would try to equate hate-reading with agency

e: the crux of how you feel about caliborn's abilities hinges on what you think about drawing a circle out of countless tiny right angles instead of making a curved line. it's absolutely the wrong way to do it, but i think it's super impressive despite - or even because - of that

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Sep 17, 2022

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
further muddied by caliborn being one of the few genuinely aspirational characters in the entire story despite his repulsive personality, and calliope being a passive lump made all the more obnoxious by the cast's cooing over her

most of homestuck's characters end up hapless dopes who just stumble and fall into one convenience after another until the last page, while caliborn actually struggles and grows (in his tragicomic way)

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
android blues already gave a more detailed recap of that whole incident

why are you so fixated on something you read on loving tv tropes of all places

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
where’s that one piece gif of the zombie getting pushed back into its grave

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I lurk a few tumblrs still and their anonymous posters seem like some of the most psychotic people online short of channers or something