Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
Why is there a thread in Games for a game that will never come out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Carrasco posted:

Am I missing something? It's been only about a year since the game was kickstarted, and Hussie's repeatedly put his main creative work on pause to focus on it. Not quite time to call Duke Nukem Forever yet.

As far as I know there still has yet to be any information on who is even making the drat thing. That's pretty worrying to me about the prospects of what we're going to end up getting our hands on (besides plushies for the nutters who paid $500 or whatever).

I mean, Hussie doesn't strike me as someone who would just run with the money, but it's pretty unfair to keep us all in the dark after being so supportive of a kickstarter that was pretty poorly run in retrospect. Even some kickstarters that failed to actually provide a videogame still had intermittent progress updates.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Black August posted:

I wrote Red Dead Virgo. The links don't work anymore because Google Docs did weird dumb stuff and ruined all the links. I think someone else archived it a while ago, I never really bothered to follow up. That was my tiny and disgusting mark on the fandom. Why are you in Games?

why are you making me remember :smithicide:

Ok that is pretty funny. Whatever man, it ain't that bad. I'm probably never going to actually read it past the first few pages when it was linked like two years ago, but at least it isn't something smutty.

Or is it?

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Black August posted:

I forgot it has that. Why does it have that? I thought only major TV works got a tropes page. I've never read TV Tropes. Also ok it did get archived then.

Unless it has changed in the last year (haven't read anything about it in a long time), TV Tropes has an 'anything goes' policy on pages. Tropers were putting up trope lists for their (either fan or original) works that consisted of nothing more than an outline of possible plots - loving placeholders for things that will never come to fruition.

Regardless, congratulations! You're internet famous.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

friendlyNeurotoxin posted:

Hey the Homestuck thread! It has been awhile since the gigapause I wonder how things are getting on.

...Oh :ohdear:

Please tell me that is an old name, made long before I think it was made.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

DrManiac posted:

Cucumber Quest is also good without a horrible fanbase (that I know about)

Oh, my sweet summer child...

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Dolash posted:

problem with homestuck

The problem to me is the pre-scratch trolls - not anything post-scratch. What few purposes they serve they had usurped from other characters or concepts that haven't been fully explored (denizens!), they've become a focus at the expense of more developed (kids and trolls) or interesting (scratch kids and caliborn) characters and I do not know why they are even in this thing except as some running joke about how everything has to have an origin. The last few hundred pages with Aranea's dumb turn had me just mindlessly clicking the next button without even reading everything, just waiting for some semblance of a coherent story to return. I was one of the most vehement defenders of the Doc Scratch thing, and I still think it was probably the best way to do that and was a great piece in its own right, but now I'm thinking all the same criticisms about Act 6 that people were saying about that.

MrBims fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Dec 13, 2013

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Gensuki posted:

I am curious why this thread is in games and stickied...

Because Namco High is coming out in 3 days man!

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Blackheart posted:

Wait, did Hussie ever state this in his formspring, tumblr, twitter or whatever?

Yeah, he did. That old formspring thing that was taken down forever ago, I think. He realized that the timeline of events and underlying concepts (like Terezi's seeing) would be incomprehensible if animated, and didn't want to spend months making an animation that couldn't be up to par for his imagination.

quote:

It truly is, like some people didn't notice but even the GBS joke gunnerkrigg thread got some people to start reading the comic too. Maybe there should be a thread exchange program between subforums, like what happened with the chickencheese thread.

This thread had been void of any content or analysis at least since the hiatus announcement, and I can't imagine the discussion was any fun or interesting for the last few months of updates. Moving the thread to a more active forum that old readers still visited is breathing new life into it. I like it here.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
Does it take one out of the pool after you random it? Or is it gonna be like this:

Want Terezi, pay five dollars and get Jane. Pay another five dollars and get Jane again. Figure that the cost of paying another five dollars on the chance of getting Terezi is lower than the cost of buying the whole pack, which at this point would have just been the optimal option in the first place. Pay another five dollars and get Jane.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Black August posted:

Man I wrote Virgobound as a fun joke. I didn't think something similar would, like, actually become a thing. That people pay actual money for.

Never heard of Fifty Shades of Grey?

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Grrl Anachronism posted:

Evil Namco High

I thought you were making a joke, but I googled this on a whim and it's real.

:/

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
So when is Solaire of Astora supposed to be in Namco High?

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
The really silly thing to me is that the idea of fleshing out characters or the setting is a good one - it is actually something Homestuck sorely needs, because this is where all those awful exposition dumps we got (and skipped over) could have gone. Don't let other people just stick whatever they want, let them play with the thousands of pages of ideas that can't be done (or shouldn't have been done).

This could be done like the ASOIAF prequels, where you get to have all the fanservicey stuff you want without it intruding on the main storyline, and potentially be in service of the main storyline, but nope, just bad awful one-off poo poo.

You just know there is going to be a "all the kids and trolls are in the same school" series of strips within the next month or two. If this is the quality we're kicking off with, it is just inevitable.

MrBims fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Apr 18, 2014

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Rita Repulsa posted:

Can Homestuck be said to have ever been "for" teenagers?

It's still just a webcomic Hussie was mostly just doing for fun that got popular through word of mouth, not a branded franchise fiction marketed to a demographic or something. I mean, if Homestucks for teenagers, who is Problem Sleuth "for"? Who's Humanimals "for"???

I'm never going to forget about the goon who painted like half of a wall of a highschool's cafeteria with a homestuck mural.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
I can't wait to continue not actually reading Homestuck now that it finally IS coming back.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
Vriska's character and actions are a thinly veiled allegory for Israel and the settlements. In case yall didn't know.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Freak Futanari posted:

Remember when Hussie declared every ship canon? This is what he meant. The ending of Homestuck will be everything at once, and at the same time it will be nothing at all. The characters will finally be free from Hussie's influence, and with it, the plot. Instead of just the death of the author, the author will be removed from the story entirely, and the readers will take on his role - and it will teach them that just like they can change Homestuck, they can also change their own lives. They will be freed along with John and his friends.

Homestuck will end the way you want it to, because as the reader, you are the one with the power now.

This is the ending to Metal Gear Solid 2, Andrew Hussie's favorite videogame.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
I still can't stop laughing there has been so much anticipation and fanfare and o8ftehg.gif and server crashing, and we're just sitting here staring at the most shittily made gif ever, superimposed over a static image of a joke that was already made earlier in the comic.

This is it. This is homestuck. You're living it. Congratulations.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Freak Futanari posted:

Autism isn't a joke.

Nepeta is the biggest joke of all

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Burkion posted:

You know, with all of our talk about nerdy bullshit, I'm surprised no one has ever commented on the nerdiest worst way to read Homestuck. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLQ7JOidKp_xzsrVMGT1QFpjEavSkQMbV0 LET'S READ HOMESTUCK

308,742 views :psyduck:

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Bobulus posted:

Caliborn's deviantart page already has 8,000 followers and 200,000 pageviews.

http://i-am-your-lord.deviantart.com/stats/gallery/

That's nothing, that is a joke everyone can be in on. But how does anyone spend enough time watching a "let's read" of homestuck for Youtube to record their view? How long does it take to realize this is not a good way to spend their time?

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Zoe posted:

People like this are why I really just feel that murder should be legal sometimes, in certain situations.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
Ugh I'm sick of Dragonball Z stuff in the comic about kids with awkward growing-up problems.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

paradoxGentleman posted:

As a general rule, if you want to get followers, fans, likes or other forms of Internet admiration, it's better to produce worthwhile and interesting content rather than just telling people to follow you.

If you actually give a poo poo about getting internet admiration you don't belong here.

MrBims fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Oct 27, 2014

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
Oh man, did you guys know there's homestuck references in the new Binding of Isaac? They made items out of those weird troll symbols. But they called Vriska's item 'Scorpio' instead of it being a spidery-themed name - guess they didn't want it being too obvious? Anyway I think it is a pretty fun inside joke, glad to see some Homestuck-love out there.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
Time to update my shipping charts to account for freakFutanari and renaissanceRobot...

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

It's not tragic. It means nothing because nothing means anything. Homestuck is a story about nothing because the author is just bullshitting it up as we go along. It's why it is good but it also means it is a series of mostly unimportant events

Press ====> to Pay Respects

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Thank you

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
It has been 1340 days since [S] Flip was posted. Almost Three and a half years. Three and a half years of content that is now up in the air as to its importance going forward, whether it was 'real' or not. Three and a half years of what was supposed to be on the precipice of the final acts.

I don't believe for a single moment that Hussie has had this 'mapped out', even in terms of vague concepts, the way he had with scratching the kids' game or trollpocalypse. I don't believe for a single moment that anything since the start of new content has been truly necessary for getting to the ending. I think Hussie just wanted to see how far he could go with this retcon idea, further expanding the already ghastly absurd scope of details this stupid story demands the reader care about and try to make sense of.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

CJacobs posted:

There are no such people. The only people reading Homestuck are the people that have been trapped from the very beginning. Soon the story will end and we will emerge from our computer rooms with long scraggly hobo beards and squinting with a hand held above our faces as our eyes re-adjust to natural light.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Wulfolme posted:

I read the entirety of this comic a couple of years ago and I have no idea what any of you are saying about it now.

I like the idea of there having been a certain page in the long-ago past that was feasible as an end, and a reader who happened to catch up to updates on that page accepts that this was the completion of the story.

I'm going to choose to believe that page was Jane opening the mailbox and it exploding because that would be such an M Night Shyamalan twist ending.

MrBims fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jan 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
I've been skimming Homestuck updates intermittently over the past two years, not even reading anything, just skimming the pictures randomly and seeing if this is ever going to come to an ending. I think the Aranea badguy reveal was where I said 'ok, no, enough of this' and stopped actually trying to comprehend what was going on.

Now I see this update about how 'by pagecount' there is 1% left and I don't see how it is possible that the story can be coming into a climax. Can someone briefly explain how the past two years (all of Act 6 Act 6) could possibly be coming to a satisfying close, or why anyone still cares about happens to the characters? Did it ever get proven that the big bad guy all along is actually supposed to be Vriska? (I know they brought her back again for some dumb reason)