Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

TG: if i were you i would just take that fucking devilbeast out behind the woodshed and blow its head off
Did anyone else find that the comic's text changed font entirely throughout with this update? Or is my computer doing something wonky?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

TG: if i were you i would just take that fucking devilbeast out behind the woodshed and blow its head off

Thundarr posted:

Seems kind of dickish to solicit album art, sell the album for money, and then offer no compensation to the artists.

I'm no artist in either the drawing sense OR the musical sense, but isn't writing and composing an original song a fair bit more involved and complicated than drawing a piece of fanart? I mean, not to trash on fanart or anything because there's tons of amazing stuff out there, but just from my outsider's perspective that's what seems to be the case.

CidGregor fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Feb 28, 2012

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

Android Blues posted:

It depends on what you're drawing (and, as well, what kind of song you're making). If you're doing a quick doodle of Pantskat or a short loop chiptune battle theme, that takes a significant amount of time and effort less than a multi-instrumental ten minute voyage or a big old painting of all the ancestors interacting.

Music might take longer on the whole though, yeah. It mostly depends on your composition methods in either medium though and what you're aiming to create.

In the context of this contest though I would imagine that entrants are largely putting forth their absolute best efforts, not a ten minute doodle or a quickie chiptune.

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

Van Kraken posted:

Has anyone from this thread been notified? :ohdear: The suspense is killing me.

I'm going to take a wild guess here that they've been asked to sit on it and shut up until the album is actually released to preserve the surprise.

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

I was literally JUST coming here to post this, because holy gently caress it's so amazing.

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

tinaun posted:

This is a callback to this panel, so I'm thinking a [s] Jane:enter is on the way, which will be awesome.

Also of note is the card itself is exactly identical, though mirrored, punch pattern included. Does that mean her entry item will be identical to Jade's? I vaguely recall there may have been a punch pattern translator out there at some point....?

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

Cavatica posted:

Regarding the million-year history for the consorts, they seemed aware of both Jake's dreamself dying and Jane's revival. So they were still alive while Jane and Dirk's dreamselves were awake and cognizant. I'm also willing to bet that Dirk's planet will have scripture detailing his uprising from [S] Prince of Heart: Rise up.

It has me wonder more and more whether the planets exist or not prior to entry. If they do exist, is there technically anything stopping the dreamselves from wandering around the rest of the medium? Sollux's dreamself flew all the way back to his planet, but that was only after he entered.

If the planets don't exist, then I guess every little detail comes in preloaded from Skaia. But then it makes me wonder if that limits the progress you can make within the game. Can Jane not proceed to her second gate without making sure that the next player is in the game?

I think the way it works is that, prior to a given player's entry, their planet doesn't exist at all, and once they enter, not only does it come into existence, it is as if it always existed in the first place, with its million-year history and everything.

At least, that was the sense I always got. I can't actually back that up off the top of my head.

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

H.P. Shivcraft posted:

Edit: Hey look Book 2 will be at TCAF: http://torontocomics.com/books/homestuck-volume-2/

Need this on my bookshelf so bad oh my god that cover art is adorable. Hussie hurry up and put this up for sale so I can throw money at my computer screen.

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

I was going to say they'd pretty much have to be, since only Vriska hit God Tier, but then I remember Gamzee and I don't know what to think anymore.

Was it ever "confirmed" that Vriska was the only one who hit God Tier during the session? I could have sworn she said she was the only one who did it.

It was definitely said at some point, I believe by both Vriska AND Terezi. But that doesn't necessarily disprove the theory earlier in the thread that Gamzee somehow reached God Tier without anyone else knowing. Or maybe even WITH someone else knowing (Karkat, most likely, in this case) and keeping it secret. But yeah, we saw so relatively little of the trolls' session, it's entirely plausible. Hell, maybe even his dreamself was on a quest slab inside Prospit when Jack blew it up, for all we know.

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

In other news, Man vs Homestuck continues to harbor irrational hatred for Rose and Jade and it's passing beyond the point of being funny and streaking toward annoying.

Also he still seems supremely confident he can nitpick Hussie's stable time loops to pieces. Good luck sir.

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

Yeah Man posted:

So basically he's the equivalent of an Angry Internet Critic for Homestuck.

That shippingsoon person linked above is worse. Man vs Homestuck is at least a funny sort of internet-angry, but shippingsoon just oozes bile and hatred from every word and it's offputting as all hell.

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

Seoinin posted:

Hey can someone clarify for me if this exposition is happening in Jake's memory as a result of being knocked cold while lacking a dreamself or it's just a narrative skip backwards in time?

And if its the first thing, what're the odds that isn't actually Dirk he's talking to?

This panel suggests to me pretty definitively that it is a literal narrative skip backwards in time. However what I assume makes you wonder is that the page immediately prior seems to show Jake entering a dream bubble, so......I guess it could technically go either way?

The main reason I lean toward it being a literal narrative flashback, though, is that in the past, dream bubble memories have never lasted even close to this long before the occupants realize they're dreaming and break from how the conversation is "supposed to go." Someone wises up within two or three pages, if not sooner. This sequence has lasted nearly thirty pages already with zero break in flow. If the memory was going to go off the rails, I'm pretty sure it would have done so by now.

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

Book two is TWO HUNDRED AND EIGHTY PAGES, goddamn. Book one was a mere 156. Hussie you may want to consider splitting act three into more than one book at this rate.

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

Mazerunner posted:

Someone posted this explanation way earlier, but it's a good one so here goes:

Imagine you have a VCR recording of Con Air, but then your dog chews it up a bit. It's mostly playable, except the ending which is hosed up and not watchable. You decide to record Waterworld over it instead, so now it's a different movie on the same tape. The ending is still hosed up though. So now that you've recorded over Con Air, you can't watch it again- it's gone, but you still remember watching it, so it still 'happened' in a way.

Same with the B1->B2 scratch. B2 wrote over B1. It's a do-over. Humanity was destroyed in 2009, but that's not the case anymore. The kids still exist though, because they were 'outside' the B universe.

Geddy Krueger posted:

What Mazerunner said. The Scratch "overwrote" the B2 universe onto the same frog so the events of B1 no longer count. The only record of B1's existence lies in the 4 kids. I assumed everyone already understood that because it's been discussed in this thread already. :)

But the two universes have interacted: Jake sending the robo-bunny back and forth with Jade, and Jaspers ending up with Roxy for a while and then being sent back to Rose after death, to name the most obvious examples. So both universes must have existed "simultaneously" in some capacity, in that both versions of the universe must have existed side by side at some point, probably independently from each other's timelines.

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

I too received homestuck book 2 last night, and though I am not done going through it, I think I've already found my favorite bit of commentary. On the subject of John's first Strife with an imp:

quote:

In this Flash, I think some people didn't quite understand the "health vial" gauge system. Some thought it was a glitch or something. It was really just a style of gauge that defied typical game convention in a way that was... I guess we'll just call it satirical. Instead of the gauge remaining stationary with the contents depleting, with each hit the entire gauge itself would move, withdrawing from the stationary blob of "gel" signifying the player's vitality. Hence "gel viscosity" was a health upgrade, making the gauge more difficult to withdraw from the thick gel when taking damage."

I never picked up on this before, but it's the little game-building/world-building details like this that I just love to learn about. Hussie really does put an incredible amount of thought into....well, everything.

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

In other, non-shipping-grid news, treestuck is seeing the beginnings of Mindfang's journal and is just inches away from the Vriska/Eridan/Gamzee showdown. And she is pretty much terrified and losing her poo poo in the best, most adorable way.

Guys I think this may be the most entertaining liveblog I've ever followed.

CidGregor fucked around with this message at 23:15 on May 25, 2012

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

Bobulus posted:

So, is there one question we want to team up on and upvote so that he answers it?

I honestly don't have any burning questions to ask, other than plot stuff, which he won't answer.

I've got a couple random silly things I've been wanting to ask but never had the tumblr account to do so, mostly music-related:

1. What are the odds on putting together a Homestuck concert someday?

2. If Homestuck had/has/will have a 'credits music', is it yet to be created or is it out there in the pool already? Because "Alternia" has always been the perfect end credits track in my head. (I don't think this counts as plot stuff?)

3. If Homestuck were made into a television or movie production, which would you (hussie) prefer? And would/should it be animated or live action?

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

nerdbot posted:

1. Hasn't a Homestuck concert happened? At least, Bowman put together a thing, no?

2. My dream would be a final flash set to Green Ghost or Alternia, and a cast roll ala Earthbound and Mother 3 set to Homefree or maybe go full-on corny and set it to Chain of Prospit. I have Thought Way Too Much about this.

3. I could see it translating to television very well. It'd haaaave to be a cartoon though. No other way, man.

1: Yes, once, in some guy's backyard. I'm talking about something more like getting the musicians all together with a band/orchestra and putting on a real live production of Homestuck music. I'd go to that concert in a heartbeat.

2: Chain of Prospit would be so ridiculous as credits music I can't even imagine it.

3: Yeah I agree, it'd definitely have to be animated, whether movie or TV show. Now to project voice actors.....

(I know she's in everything but it's with good reason, I could seriously see Tara Strong in just about any of the girls' roles, but I especially think something not far off from her Teen Titans "Raven" voice would be pretty amazing for Rose. Oh god help now I'm Thinking Way Too Much About This.)

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

Waffnuffly posted:

MTaHK is great for its mix of quirkiness, humor, and genuinely amazing music. I like to treat Forever as an extended intro for Dawn of Man, which to me pretty much defines the human experience. Beta Version is similarly wonderful and No Release is full of useful advice. Fly is a song about SBAHJ of all things, so that gets props, and Chain of Prospit is incredibly upbeat (but I do have to fast forward through the very end, gotta admit). Pumpkin Tide cracks me up and The Deeper You Go is a great closer. The only one I don't really like as much is Lies with the Sea, for some reason.

I think you said this last time MT&HK came up in conversation here, and I was again utterly baffled by the bolded part, because wtf, Lies With the Sea is my absolute favorite track on that album, just narrowly ahead of Dawn of Man.

Agreeing that MT&HK is an amazing album overall, though. Probably a tossup with STRIFE! for my favorite solo album.

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

Karkat alone would cause wars, since absolutely no one can seem to do his voice without making him sound like a middle-aged chain smoker. The only one that came close was the time when someone dubbed in that totally unrelated Facebook rant.

I'd actually have to agree, that's easily the best Karkat-voice floating around by far.

If it were being professionally produced though I'd like to think Hussie as an executive producer would put it in the hands of capable voice actors. There are some people out there with incredible vocal range that I'm sure could make pretty much any character work.

CidGregor fucked around with this message at 14:57 on May 28, 2012

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

In a funny "what are the odds?" sort of coincidence, today's XKCD is also about going back in time to kill Hitler.

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

Am I the only person who has never played a game of chess in his life in which either player bothered to announce the grid squares of their moves? I was in a freaking CHESS CLUB in middle school and even they never did that, but lately I see/hear it everywhere when a game of chess comes up in fiction. Is my experience just atypical or what?

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

Nate RFB posted:

Haha, I just had a thought. What if the only way for Jake to get back is by hitching a ride on a meteor? What if the only meteor they are able to send off is the frog temple in the end? If so, there's really only one place he could stash himself away inside it...

Jorenko posted:

That is exactly crazy enough to be true. This is what is going to happen.

Furthermore, now that he is meeting up with Jane suddenly, and they will BOTH need to escape, they might BOTH get locked into that time capsule, getting up to who knows what sort of shenanigans together okay my brain melted. :suicide:

CidGregor fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Jun 11, 2012

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

Who's the artist on the Trickster-Roxy piece? Deudlyfirearms?

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

Occupation posted:

Like seriously if he had just added more panels and thirded the exposition dumps (the panels could've been low-effort "zoom in on someone's face while they're chatlogging" poo poo) it would've made them less intolerable.

Page after page after page after page of couple-thousand-word-chatlog exposition from either UU or Jane or Aranea or AR or whoever about how much their life sucked and how, exactly, their life came to suck so badly was so loving dull.

Oh man what is with all this READING it's like, a book or something! Who has time for that poo poo anymore? A couple thousand words at a time, gently caress!

Seriously, this is the worst complaint. One of the strongest points of Homestuck front to back has always been really incredible writing and maybe this is just me being an English major who legit enjoys the 1500 page extended version of The Stand, but I can never fathom what people are even talking about when they complain that it's too wordy. How did you even get this far at all if the comic being too :words: is such a negative point? Furthermore how does snipping the pesterlogs apart into more pages solve ANYthing? The length of the pesterlog would be the same regardless. Exactly what is gained by having to click the 'next' button and the 'show pesterlog' button again instead of scrolling down slightly?

If you want to argue about the plot itself, then fine (in which case Jane humiliating herself was hilarious and UU/AR/Aranea's world-building expositions about post-scratch Earth and how Sburb works utterly fascinated me), but the word count? Really? Christ it's like people are loving adverse to reading these days.

CidGregor fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jun 18, 2012

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

Walliard posted:

Speaking of liveblogs:

http://thingshussiebought.tumblr.com/
http://thingsnorthbought.tumblr.com/

Andrew Hussie and Ryan North have traded credit cards and are blogging about each others' purchases. This might be the best thing.

This utterly baffles me, I cannot even imagine passing off my credit card to someone else and basically daring them to spend to their heart's content on it. My god.

Tangentally, I am kind of wondering if/scared that someone is going to do some kind of ID check or something somewhere and arrest one of them for identity fraud.

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

Deviating from the present topic somewhat, I seem to vaguely remember a while back that there was a re-release of the volume 8 track "Flare" that was remastered to fall more in line with the version that was used in [S] Cascade, but I never got around to following up on it. Can anyone point me to it? Or did I hallucinate that?

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

YggiDee posted:

You can grab it from Plazmataz's tumblr here.
Sweet, thanks bro! I am not an avid follower of the tumblr circles so I wasn't really sure where to look.

And tangentially, having browsed this brilliant man's tumblr now, thanks peripherally for leading me to find this gem of a fan-work based around the same song. Not normally much for fan-made lyrical stuff but wow.

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

Bobulus posted:

Rose - Mai, Avatar:The Last Airbender

Vaguely along the same lines, I actually see Rose closer to Raven from Teen Titans. Maybe it's the connection to the occult. (Also Tara Strong owns.)

Also I really like the idea of Terezi's voice being like Harley Quinn, I never really cared for the "female Gilbert Gottfried" interpretation.

And Adventure Time's Vampire Queen as Vriska.......actually really works. Although she'd have to be a little.....louder, I guess?

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

On another topic, having been following treestuck to the doorstep of the photo album sequence, it occurred to me to wonder what all happened following Vriska's dream bubble date with beta John, how she got from there to wandering a desert with Tavros and Hussie, and where beta John went since then. I'm hoping some of it comes up in the next intermission.

Not that it's a huge deal, but it seemed like that story was going somewhere and it never quite got there.

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Homestuck in a nutshell.
On that note, my one-sentence summary of homestuck is usually "It's basically Jumanji in space, if Jumanji was a text-based adventure RPG."

(yes I'm aware Jumanji in space already exists but who cares Zathura sucked)

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

So does this mean Squarewave and Sawtooth are gonna jump into the kernelsprites once in the medium? Or Are we still expecting to continue the adventures of morbid as gently caress Gamzee tossing troll corpses into them in pairs?

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

Mr. D Bewildering posted:

More importantly: when the black hole first appears, the music is very familiar. But I just can't figure out which song it's based on.

I recognize some bridges from Do you Remem8er Me in that part of the sequence, that might be what you're recognizing.

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

Bobulus posted:

For people following livebloggers, Treestuck is updating again!

Does anyone else think she is going to react extremely strongly to Doc Scratch abusing the Handmaid? I mean it's pretty awful regardless, but I get the sense with treestuck in particular it's going to cut deep.

Also Cascade is going to blow her mind, but that's just kind of a given in The Homestuck Experience.

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

Seoinin posted:

Am I alone in thinking Cascade isn't as great as people make it out to be? I mean, yeah, it had its moments. But it was just overlong and not really up to the same standard as Descend or even the latest flash.

You're probably alone yeah. I never felt like it dragged on too long at all because everything that happened in it was important (i.e. nothing felt like 'filler'), and all four songs used in it are beyond incredible so I never get tired of listening to/watching it.

In fact I'm going to leave it out of my top 10 favorite flashes list entirely because I feel like it's kind of in a class all its own.

In no particular order:

1. Enter (EOA3)
2. Make her Pay (EOA5.1-ish)
3. A6A3 (Myststuck)
4. Seer: Descend (grimdark Rose walkabout)
5. John: Reunite with your loving Wife and daughter (fake EOA4)
6. Wake (god-tier Aradia and Tavros' death)
7. Caliborn: Enter (EOA6A3)
8. Descend (EOA4)
9. Jade: Enter
10. Flip (glitched-disk conclusion)

I should note that a huge part of my opinions about flashes come from my opinion of the music and this list would be quite different were certain songs in more noteworthy flashes. The one that immediately comes to mind is "[S] GO ON" back in act 2, which is just a quick little 10 second animation yet features the track "Skies of Skaia" which is one of my absolute favorite songs in all of Homestuck.

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

Triskelli posted:

Does anyone have recommendations of what sequence or flash I could show a friend to get them interested in Homestuck? My personal favorite flashes feel like they would require too much explanation, and showing them the beginning is a dry way to start. tips?
I can only say what worked for me personally, and that was being shown the EOA4 flash "Descend". Context isn't what's important, what matters is showing off the scope of what the comic can do when it's at its best. If it looks cool and exciting and has rockin' music, not having a clue what just happened plot-wise isn't a big deal, they'll figure it out for themselves. But that won't happen if they're not interested in what the comic has to offer from a visual and technical standpoint.

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

Oh, have we hit the fanfiction phase of our hiatus-induced madness?

(Because I could recommend a couple)

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

Random question borne out of casual curiosity for any of you music-team folks out there that may be reading the thread; feel free to dismiss any or all of it if it's too close to the boundaries of personal information.

I was curious what exactly your working relationship is with AH? Are you actually 'employed' by him, like a real legal paid job with taxes and all that good stuff, or is it more akin to a freelance gig? Are there 'bonuses' involved for songs that actually get used in the comic? Or is compensation strictly based on album sales?

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

Snollygoster posted:

Is this the day that Treestuck finishes act 5?

please say yes

Considering she has received (and agreed to) explicit instructions to stop at the point where we were left on a 2-3 month hiatus (AH: Close Tome) to stew on everything and gather her thoughts and predictions before continuing, I'd say that's unlikely, even if she does do any posting today.

It's probably good she stops there, honestly, because if she gets to the pages immediately before Cascade without taking a break to collect herself she's going to have a hard time coming to a complete stop at, you know, Jade abruptly being DEAD. I remember one recent liveblogger absolutely refused to do an audio-reaction to [S] JOHN: RISE UP because there was just no way she could stop and take the time to set it up, she was too invested in John's sudden and unexpected quest bed death and absolutely HAD to see what happened next IMMEDIATELY.

CidGregor fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Aug 26, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

Should be getting the last solo album today, yes? Being the last day of the month and all.

On topic, flash was pretty amazing. Kanaya's dialogue raised my eyebrows a bit; was she saying she and Rose were in fact 'maybe' dating or just admitting to 'maybe' have a crush?