Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

TG: if i were you i would just take that fucking devilbeast out behind the woodshed and blow its head off

Tollymain posted:

dumb prediction i haven't seen yet

the end of the comic is a literal jrpg boss battle wherein you control the characters and you have to defeat lord english

Oxxidation posted:

This prediction has, in fact, been made already.

To be fair I made that prediction about the End of Act 6 update, not the grand finale Act 7, but yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

TG: if i were you i would just take that fucking devilbeast out behind the woodshed and blow its head off

Plom Bar posted:

To celebrate the final day, I offer this tribute:

I don't get it.

e:

Arsenic Lupin posted:

A tumblr user pointed out that "Alternia" would be the perfect track to end on. I can't argue with that.

I too have thought this for a long-rear end time, it's a perfect end theme. Or alternatively, Lotus Bloom from volume 8 is a fantastic song that has some 'ending' vibes to it as well. Also "Farewell" from Land of Fans and Music 1, although that one's obviously not gonna happen.

CidGregor fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Apr 12, 2016

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

paranoid randroid posted:

im gonna make you stand at attention while i rip all the goon rank insignias and medals off your uniform

Plom Bar posted:

I am legit surprised that there isn't an SAclopedia entry for this one.

Oh well. I guess sometimes you just have to most past these things and heal.

Ok I am aware of loss.jpg but I still didn't really get it until the bit about minimalist interpretations. And even then it's a bit of a stretch.

But that might just be my brain viscerally objecting to any sort of cross contamination between Homestuck and the garbage heap that is CAD.

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

Dolash posted:

Hussie didn't show the True Ending because it's rated X, gotta repopulate that new universe somehow yo.

Actually there's a thought, the Matriorb might've given them another Mother Grub, but wasn't it going to need a bunch of Troll reproductive material? Karkat and Kanaya are the only trolls "confirmed" to be in the new universe. That's going to make things awkward for Dave and Rose (and I guess maybe Jade depending on that picnic?).

If that sounds like an irrelevant detail for an ending to deal with then I have no idea why you followed Homestuck for seven years, the comic all about puzzles and personal relationships.

WAR FOOT posted:

I've always disliked walking away from an ending and going "huh, so they're the last 8 humans left? And the two blocks of four are family? Well, I guess humanity's over then because that's not a viable genepool"

Late responding to this, but Kanaya actually covered this back when she was talking to Jade about frog breeding HERE:

quote:

GA: I Didnt Mean To Alarm You By Implying You Were Required To Wage A Great Deal Of Personal Procreation Over A Span Of Several Weeks
GG: yeah, whew <_<;
GA: Though It Should Be Clear That Repopulation Is Among Our Duties As Well In The Long Term
GA: And Ive Gathered That The Cloning Apparatus In The Veil Is Probably Meant To Permit An Initial Boost On The World We Select For Settlement
GA: But Beyond That It Is Up To The Descendants To Perpetuate The Race

And the meteor was apparently still on earth since we saw it in the fast-forward montage of earth terraforming all over again, so they certainly still have access to all the ectobiology equipment. Maybe some of them will have their own kids traditionally or whatever but beyond that it sounds like the intention is to make a bunch of clone babies using ectobiotech to encourage enough mutation/genetic diversity to make true repopulation possible.

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

WAR FOOT posted:

I can't find it on his Tumblr. Did he nuke it? I am not good at Tumblrs, I just know Hussie got fed up with it because people kept editing his posts or something.

Basically, I used to be with it, internet wise, then they changed what it is, and now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me.

I think it's nuked, yeah. Most of Hussie's formspring/tumblr askapaloozas were probably archived as they happened on the MSPA wiki or something similar though, which is probably where that person got it from.

Don't worry about not being tumblr savvy, I'm not either (what I was with was the livejournal era). The important thing is, I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time.

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

Arsenic Lupin posted:

People are encouraged to believe that Dave is black, or Asian, or Polynesian, or whatever, including white.. Once you grant that Dave can be black, you have to grant that people are allowed to draw him with hairstyles characteristic of being black. (I've never seen an actual Afro btw; most often it's some flavor of taper or fade.) See "templated".

In my head, Dave is clearly supposed to be white. In somebody else's head, Jake is clearly supposed to be asexual. A big part of Homestuck, as evidenced in the cite, is that people are encouraged to have headcanons, encouraged to roleplay those canons, and encouraged to produce art/animation/fiction instancing those headcanons. If you police somebody else's art, you are doing exactly what Hussie said was racist. They're blank surfaces onto which the reader projects physical bodies. That is why they were introduced as sprites, and most often drawn as sprites.

Stuff like this is why I love Hussie, he really gets it. One of the main reasons I stay away from a lot of fandoms is art-policing. Stephen Universe fandom is pretty notorious for it, and to a lesser extent I've seen it in Zootopia recently as well, and it always gives me a sensation of intense alienation from ever wanting to participate in said fandoms, no matter how I might have felt about the source work.

I mean, there's a lot of weird poo poo in homestuck fandom, don't get me wrong, and it ain't perfect by any means, but Hussie at least tries to steer things in a more constructive direction when he sees a problem brewing, and that's really admirable.

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

Don't worry plom bar I liked your wall of text. I'm not totally sold on the split timeline bit at the end, but the rest of it sounds nice.

What's your take on the the idea of the green sun being destroyed de-powering English, and the counter-argument that that should not have actually done anything because he wasn't powered by the green sun? Personally I never really understood that counterargument given that English's final form came about by being absorbed into Lil Cal, who went on to be combined with the cueball and the first guardian code to make Doc Scratch who ultimately birthed English anew, which made me assume he pretty much inherited all that green sun power that way.

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

WAR FOOT posted:

Lots of good films fail the Bechdel test, because it's a bad test.

Lots of bad films pass it too. The Twilight saga for example, thank you Dumbing of Age.

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

DaveKap posted:

"The video he did with John" is where?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxHnKT_2u64 Here ya go.

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

On the subject of Paradox Space, and my copy of volume two coming in and me sitting here reading it..... whatever happened to part two of The Inaugural Death of Mister Seven?

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

Plom Bar posted:

I dunno if any of you folks noticed this, but the download comes with extensive liner notes with musician and artist commentary and even some production photos, plus sheet music for the Alto and Tenor sax parts of Moonsweater (though the Tenor part is just the chord progressions of the song) and the choral parts of Renewed Return.

And that's loving cool as poo poo

Arsenic Lupin posted:

If you downloaded Vol. 10 the moment it came out, your download doesn't include the PDF booklet. Redownload to get it.

Just started reading the booklet myself, the forewords alone are tugging at the heartstrings. I also really like lexxy's alternate cover art pieces, and I almost wish she'd gone with the simple stained glass-esque piece of all the kids and trolls' symbols.

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

WAR FOOT posted:

Maybe it's just nostalgia?

It's probably nostalgia. Or the actual animations they go with.

I mean those are all good songs don't get me wrong, but 90% of the songs on volume 10 are stellar. Creata, Renewed Return, and Conclude in particular, on top of the already-mentioned Gods and Witches (and Taste for Adventure, but that was in volume 9 and also three different animations, lol). I think they all stand up very well on the epic-ness scale, even if they do suffer the disadvantage of not having the emotional weight of a major flash animation to associate them with.

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

Yes all of those are fantastic too. Although Time on My Side is pre-Cascade, it came from the Strife! album. Wasn't used til Act 6, but it had been around and awesome along with the rest of that album for quite a while already.

Also I'm swiftly falling in love with "You Killed my Father (Prepare to Die)," I adore the whole John vs Bec Noir 'rock battle' motif.

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Tumblr's format sucks, it is a terrible place to have a conversation, each user can rewrite the UI at will making navigation a thing of whim and fancy, and reblogging is no way to communicate. I hate Tumblr.

That's where my fandoms are. I am hoping and praying there will be a Next Big Thing with -- gasp! -- threaded conversations.

I link to my AO3 from my Tumblr, as God and the Organization for Transformational Work intended.

Oh good I'm not the only one who hates tumblr. The Next Big Thing can't come soon enough, although I kinda wish it could be a major comeback by LiveJournal. I was super big on that back in the late 2000s/early 2010s.

But yeah those are all really good points about the problems with tumblr. Only reason I even have one is to track artists/content creators I like, and maybe send the occasional ask.

And link my fanfiction. But no one wants to read that.

(oh yeah and the credits sequence was real good and I'm very pleased Hussie used it as a way to give volume 10 some representation, because it's a tragedy that album didn't come out until After the End.)

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

In tangentally-related-to-homestuck news, Dante Basco recently launched a kickstarter to make a Rufio prequel movie. Currently it has already reached its minimum funding goal.

So that's a thing that's happening.

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

Clawtopsy posted:

Also, what is your favorite unused track, thread?

This question is insanely difficult because I'm a massive dork for homestuck's music so Imma go for a top 5 in no particular order:

Dance of Thorns, because goddamn Strife! is a baller album and really deserved more representation. Yeah I know this one technically got used, in the kickstarter video, but gently caress that, it deserved a proper place in the comic.
Lotus Bloom. This feels like something right out of a proper fantasy game like Zelda or some poo poo, maybe for a big important moment or critical narration or something. Like the lake makeout scene in Final Fantasy X, but less dumb. Or possibly even dumber, actually, this IS Homestuck after all.
Alternia. I used to imagine/hope that this track would feature in the very final scene/end credits for homestuck, because it has all the makings of a 'final' song and it's beautiful. Very soft and almost melancholy, perfect for a quiet credits roll.
Dawn of Man. I actually want to say "this entire album," to be honest, because it's criminal that not one track from MT&HK saw screentime in the comic proper, but if I had to pick just one track, it's probably this one. Although, Lies with the Sea is an extremely close second.
Conclude. Again, I kinda want to just nominate Vol. 10 in its entirety, here. It's a shame it was released so late in the comic's life that only two tracks were featured, because nearly every single track is deserving, but none moreso, I think, than the grand finale. This is REALLY the kind of song you'd see overlaid through the final scene of....not just a movie, but a SERIES of movies, that's how grand a sense of scale I feel from it. If the nigh-mythical epilogue ever happens I desperately hope this song is the framing device.

Honorable mentions:
Pumpkin Party in Sea Hitler's Water Apocalypse, on the name alone it's pure gold, and the song is pretty great too, very fun and upbeat and a total earworm.
Green Ghost, my personal favorite 'Doctor' cover. Woulda loved to hear this song in one of the meenahquest sequences if perhaps John had had a larger role to play in them.

OK done being a music nerd for now.

CidGregor fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jul 23, 2017

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

Color Printer posted:

For the record, a number of people are unhappy that dril's true name/identity has been unveiled to the world so I'm glad we can count on Homestuck fans to be terrible even after the comic is done.

EDIT: now apparently I'm hearing the guy they found isn't dril after all but I don't really care enough to look into this. It's actually more 50% not wanting to ruin the magic, 50% "wow I don't care"

Who the gently caress is dril and why should I give a poo poo about him or his secret identity in the first place

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

Samovar posted:

Any chance of a link?

I assume you're asking about the liveblogger who's up to caliborn's claymation, in which case Bob can only mean this fellow.

He started out liveblogging order of the stick, hence the tumblr name, and also does reactions/liveblogs to paranatural, stephen universe, possibly ponies, and a couple of other things. He's not bad, although his video bits grate on me personally; he's got an annoying tendency to end every single sentence with an upward inflection like everything he says is a question.

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

Who What Now posted:

Ah sweet, can't wait for the bimbofication subplot. The thing that everyone wanted.

Plom Bar posted:

Aren't you glad you've been forewarned so that you know to avoid this content?

In all fairness this particular tag is probably in reference to HOMOSUCK specifically, which is honestly 100% accurate as to what it, and Caliborn, does to the female characters within.

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

A big flaming stink posted:

If Hussie pulls a full on Don Quixote Part 2 with homestuck he has my loving undivided attention

I haven't seen/read/consumed this particular piece of media and don't care about spoilers, care to explain what you mean by this?

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

The Lobotomy Kid posted:

I don't know if it's an homage or actual foreshadowing but characters having their consciousness uploaded into robot bodies is also what happens before the final boss of Earthbound.

I had this exact same line of thought, and I don't even particularly like earthbound that much, but that's just such a core theme and inspiration for Homestuck it's hard to not see this plot point as intentional.

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Yeah. In both branches, Jade is in the way of Davekat. In one branch, she tragically forces Dave to marry her. In both branches Dave and Karkat are embarrassed by her.

Pfeh.

I'm not one to wax poetic about overarching themes and junk but there's some level of irony here that as much as these characters, and especially Dave, talk about eschewing the old earth societal norms of what defines relationships and sexuality and even gender in their new world, in the end things still seemed to settle into strictly monogamous pairs. I was really rooting for that JadeDaveKat threesome to work out.

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

OscarDiggs posted:

So when I heard about these epilogue things I took one look and went "Not today Hussie, old friend. You've tricked me to many times and outlasted your welcome." I assumed it was a long form joke or April Fools prank. But it turns out there actually real, if some people on Discord are to be believed?

Is there any point to these things?

Yes, it's 88 chapters of what can best be described as "official fanfiction," co-authored by Hussie and a couple of prominent fandom fic writers he commissioned for the job. There is nothing facetious at all about its existence.

It feels like there's more to come, too.

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

OscarDiggs posted:

Is there any point to it?

I mean it's Homestuck, there is no point ultimately. But is there as much point to it as Homestuck itself?

If you like Homestuck, and want more Homestuck, I'd say read it. It goes in some strange directions, but that's kind of par for the course, in hindsight.

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

Clawtopsy posted:

While the albums are good, I find I give less of a poo poo about the tracks not attached to a particular [S]

Really? Some of my absolute favorite tracks never made it into the actual comic. Lotus Bloom, Alternia, Pumpkin Party in Sea Hitler's Water Apocalypse, Sburban Reversal, Dawn of Man, Dance of Thorns, Lies with the Sea, Green Ghost, Your Universe, and probably a BUNCH of tracks from volume 10, especially Renewed Return, and EXTRA especially Conclude.

Hell, there's even some tracks from the first unofficial fan album that make my top homestuck songs list. Heir-Seer-Knight-Witch is in my top 20 most-played tracks of my entire iTunes library.

Honestly the music is one of the biggest factors in my enjoyment of homestuck overall and I scooped up nearly every album they put out and made a point of listening to all the stuff that HADN'T made it into the comic, and I'm glad I did, there's tons of gems like these.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

Hey Homestuck nerds, been away from this thread for a long while due to procrastinating like hell on catching up with Homestuck 2, but I came back cuz I need some help from some old old old-school people.

Years ago, I forget exactly when or why, there was a thing where you could donate to some of the artists of homestuck, and as a perk/reward/whatever you would get a bunch of homestuck-themed desktop wallpapers.

Somewhere in the mix of that period there was one particular perk that was actually a screensaver, featuring Dave in that Scott-Pilgrim-esque sprite style, on LOHAC, fighting with a bunch of infinitely-spawning alt-Daves. I've used this as my screensaver ever since I got it.

What I have learned however is that apparently it must have been made in Flash, because today it abruptly stopped working.

So! Does anyone here A) have any clue what the gently caress I'm going on about, B) have this screensaver themselves, and C) know where I can either convert it to a usable format or download a non-flash version?

Apologies if this or similar questions have already been answered upthread, I skipped a good thirty pages for fear of spoilers.