Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

H.P. Shivcraft posted:

For what it's worth, as a Shakespearean scholar I was pretty baffled as to why that song would be called "Eternity's Shylock" for any reason. Not that I was personally offended by it or anything, but it seems like an allusion without content or any importable context, like when you visit Stratford-upon-Avon and discover a jewelry store called "Iago's."

fakeedit: doesn't mean I think the song isn't kickass, tho.

Caliborn does have one characteristic in common with Shylock: they are both "rules lawyers." Caliborn is a stickler for the letter of the law, and manipulates it to his advantage. I imagine that he is exactly as ruthless in attempting to extract whatever penalty there is for breaking the rules, just as much as Shylock was in demanding to carve a pound of flesh from a debtor in default.

He also literally says this:

quote:

uu: I WILL HAVE MY POuND OF SMuT.

http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=006865

Interestingly enough, Shylock was undone at his own literalistic game. He could take a pound of flesh, but not a drop of blood. And Lord English is supposedly only vulnerable to glitches and exploits in the "rules" of time and the game...

eta: holy poo poo the Al Aqsa tag still works, I've been lurking a long rear end time. :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

ZZT the Fifth posted:

Predicted two years ago. :owned:

The thing is that Caliborn's bishie god Marty Stu drawing is so far from what Lord English looks like (the "buff physique LE has" which "could just be Caliborn playing up his ideal qualities") that it's a joke. Actually, the fact that the self-insert is nothing like Lord English might be the joke, and if anything, Hussie is debunking this theory through mockery of lovely fan art. Or maybe this is just a phase where he stops thinking being buff is cool because it allows him to safely indulge in homoerotic fantasy.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

GunnerJ posted:

The thing is that Caliborn's bishie god Marty Stu drawing is so far from what Lord English looks like (the "buff physique LE has" which "could just be Caliborn playing up his ideal qualities") that it's a joke. Actually, the fact that the self-insert is nothing like Lord English might be the joke, and if anything, Hussie is debunking this theory through mockery of lovely fan art. Or maybe this is just a phase where he stops thinking being buff is cool because it allows him to safely indulge in homoerotic fantasy.

quote:

NO, THIS IS ALL WRONG, YOU FROWN. THESE GLASSY RED PEEPERS, LOVELY THOUGH THEY ARE. ARE NOT YOUR LORD'S FINAL FORM. OH NO.

Well, I guess I just got owned :stare:

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Missed a golden opportunity for an "Over 9000" joke on page 16.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Slime posted:

All the trolls get tiger. Dancestors included.

This actually makes me think of a potential limit on John's power. So far he has only been able to alter the narrative as it exists. So, could he visit events in the dancestor session that we haven't seen (i.e., that weren't in the recap given by Aranea/Meenah)?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Dolash posted:

The hardest part about this unstuck in canon business is what will constitute the "present" now? John has his LOWAS off in non-story space with a stashed Roxy, but what about the rest of the timeline? I think Caliborn also might be "safe" from John's canon-changes in the same way, meaning even if John wrote out Gamzee the Caliborn we've met would keep existing paradox or no.

If he can actually only go to places/times that have been seen in the narrative as it stands, I am not sure how any of the changes he is making can actually stand if he pops out of them for some other panel. He could only see the changes if Homestuck-the-story shows them to the audience first.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Flea Wars posted:

I mean does Homestuck as we originally read it not "exist" any more, with the "real" story now happening off screen?

Homestuck as I originally read it didn't have mysterious arms popping out of blue portals or oil splotches in random places. The panels as they exist now do, however. This, to me, is supposed to tell us something about how John's alterations work: they do actually change the way the story "actually went," so yeah, the original story we remember does not "exist," those events did not "really happen" within the narrative. It's just not practical for Hussie to remove or change huge collections of pages to reflect this so he has this password thing. So, if you're a new reader coming on the scene where Terezi reveals that one of her toys got killed before he could testify, you read what happens in her little game afterwards. But once John starts fixing things according to Terezi's plan, you go down the other path, where he steals the toy, and that's what the actual story is.

I don't know if this demonstration with the arms and oil will be as clear to future archival readers as it is to people who'd been caught up when John put his hand in the doodad.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

You know, in hindsight, sucker-punching Vriska unconscious is a pretty obvious "third way" solution here.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

It's Meenah so that the )(IC can get taken down by herself.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Tollymain posted:

I don't know how anybody is arriving at the conclusion the mystery leader isn't John, honestly.

The description doesn't really fit John and sounds more or less exactly like Vriska ("...bold, wily; the sort of firebrand personality they needed to take such a stand... not about to take the verdict of paradox space lying down... the tide of luck turned on a shiny new dime...") plus, it seems Jane would know enough about the original kids to recognizes John if she recognizes Rose and Dave.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Bilirubin posted:

That sounds like it could be Terezi, who now has her poo poo together due to retcon shenanigans

Those parts certainly could refer to things Terezi did (issue a verdict using a coin toss), but these actions applied to Vriska (who received the verdict not being accepted, and whose existence results from a change in the toss).

eta:

Bobulus posted:

Terezi is in the picture with the mystery person.

I also checked this but wasn't sure if the silhouette in the foreground was 100% for-sure Terezi, but I'm not sure who else it'd be. The horns look like they match, so yeah, this too.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Cat Mattress posted:

Counterpoint:

I'm actually pretty sure it's not going to be Vriska just because of how heavily it's implied to be her.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

frozentreasure posted:

The point isn't to save Vriska, it's to make sure that Terezi doesn't kill her. How many times have multiple people gone over this in the past few pages? Terezi painted herself into a corner where she only saw the options of killing Vriska or letting her fight Jack, probably lose and get everyone else killed. She mainly wanted to avoid that from happening, and she has.

I don't think this is totally right because all her screwing around with her own head didn't prevent her from ultimately believing that she needed to kill Vriska, and the Terezi who wrote the instructions seems to have anticipated that, in as much as she still had to tell John incapacitate Vriska. I mean, that alone is sufficient to prevent Terezi from killing Vriska, but it seems like she'd still painted herself into a corner where she did not see any other options (like, say, incapacitating Vriska).

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Zoe posted:

Just reread that journal, and this time through I know enough about troll society (to my everlasting shame) that I'm bothered by niggling questions like, why is Dualscar referred to as 'Orphaner' like it's some fearsome title when trolls don't even have parents to murder?

I am equally ashamed to be able to answer this: They have lusus guardians, which he kills before enslaving the guardian-less trolls.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

CJacobs posted:

I do enjoy that the one time people were actually hoping for Hussie to do a bigass fakeout where none of the preceding leadup pages mattered, it turned out to not be one. The man works in mysterious and sometimes kinda annoying ways.

Perhaps... not having a fakeout lovely twist... was the greatest fakeout lovely twist of all...

efb

GunnerJ fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jan 19, 2015

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

M_Gargantua posted:

So question for anyone who's been reading for a while. Were Johns arms sticking out of things added retroactively? I remember noticing a few along the way and quickly forgetting about them. But we're they there when the frames were originally penned?

Nope, he went back and put them in.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Carrasco posted:

Nah, Porrim was a legit feminist.

Ironically, she even mentioned that people would bring up the fact that Beforus had an empress to deflect all the other gender-based problems in their society.

This is pretty analogous to what MRAs say about men, though.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Mazerunner posted:

There's a black president therefore racism is over!!

I mean, yeah, this is a lame point to argue, but it's also a lame point that "Patriarchy is an illusion fostered by ~the apex fallacy~ of looking at which gender is at the top of the ladder and ignoring the underlying matriarchal oppression" which resembles a gender-flipped version of Porrim's critique of Beforan society.

I'm not coming out swinging for the correct interpretation of one-off joke characters' politics, but I can see how someone might make that comparison. Personally I think the point is that if Kankri had been raised by Porrim, rather than relating to her as a peer, he might have picked up a more constructive and substantial approach to social justice, which is to say that I think her critique probably has merit simply because this thematic contrast wouldn't make much sense otherwise. But unless/until Hussie goes absolute bugfuck crazy and introduces us to Beforus in Act 7 Act 3 Act 15, we will never know for sure. (eta: well, OK, other than the askbox summary of her character basically saying she's got a point, w/e I'm over my quota for seriousposting about Homestuck already.)

GunnerJ fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Feb 6, 2015

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Mazerunner posted:

The difference is you can look at actual power institutions- politics, business, science, etc and see that they're overwhelmingly dominated by men, and even disregarding cultural mores it's pretty easy to figure that there's an imbalance and that MRA's are speaking up their rear end.

We can't do that for Beforus, since there's uh, no actual information- all we have is Porrim's claim that

and you see a parallel. So yeah, you have to assume she's lying or otherwise untrustworthy in order to make her out to be an 'FRA', but why would you do that?

Uh, I don't really? Which is what I said? I'm just saying I can see why someone could draw the comparison.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Daius posted:

Remember when Jack was relevant

Remember how all the coolest and most climatic parts of Homestuck revolved around Jack Noir's actions

Remember how at Cascade a whole load of constituent parts of Homestuck up to that point became suddenly and violently irrelevant

In many ways post-Cascade Homestuck feels as if it should have been a completely different story.

I am pretty much never going to be able to shake the feeling that Cascade was the actual end of the story and everything after is some weird mutant of extended epilogue and sequel.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Also: why did Lord English seem strangely faux-courteous talking to Alternia's version of Damara ("Where are you going, my dear?" etc.), which is completely incongruous with Caliborn's character? Equius.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Rand Brittain posted:

He didn't. He used the same "Girl. Stop scurrying around" locution that the Mayor used to type orders to John.

Yeah I actually wasn't sure about this, so I went back and checked... No idea where I got this impression from. Did anyone ever address someone as "my dear" that I got mixed up with?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

The most chilling possibility is that thanks to the retcon, penis ouija never happened.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

The real problem with the retcon plan being a scheme by Terezi to help herself grow up a bit is that it ended not with Terezi figuring out another way of handling Vriska, but with John just showing up and punching her.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Ammat The Ankh posted:

except that was hilarious so I'm 100% ok with how it turned out.

Sure. It makes for a great gag but a poor retroactive self-improvement plan based on overcoming one's most damaging mistake. I'm not saying one is necessarily preferable to the other.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Did Doc Scratch say he's not aware of any timeline where Gamzee is not alive? And it was weird because Gamzee got bisected in Game Over? HA HA HEE HEE HOO HOO confirmed???

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Ariong posted:

The only time Gamzee ever died was in the Game Over timeline which has since been nullified.

But presumably Jack English was still around then, containing part of Gamzee...

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

loquacius posted:

Why exactly did Vriska being alive lead to Dave and Karkat having what appears to be romantic tension rather than just being bros? Like, I guess Vriska cockblocked Terezi in not one but two quadrants, freeing up Dave to explore himself a little?

I don't think it's because of Vriska so much as because of "you don't need him"

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

loquacius posted:

I thought that was pretty clearly in reference to Gamzee but I guess there are multiple conclusions she could draw from it

I think she drew all the remotely feasible conclusions from it.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Arsenic Lupin posted:

The Twelve could easily be the Felt leprechauns Caliborn is picking up.

...but there's 15 of them.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

I thought Dave's most recent statement on time, when Vriska apologized for usurping his title or whatever, wasn't so much that he was done with time travel as he didn't give a poo poo if Vriska wanted to claim to be head time person.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Dolash posted:

Now that you mention it, Vriska reminding us that Tavros is just once-prototyped and can still be double-typed seems like setup for something prototyping him in the future. Tavros and Vriska being briefly merged into Tavriska seemed like a good setup for them coming to understand each other, although it's hard to judge if that actually went anywhere, maybe there's some other way to impart some spine to Tavros. Alternatively, Vriska gets prototyped again and this time circumstances are just changed enough that they don't explode, trapping Vriska forever.

They really needed to just chuck a cool hat or something at Tavrosprite to be safe.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Bro did nothing wrong.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Walrus Pete posted:

please learn how to spell made-up names

Alternately, always refer to her as "Trapezey" because that was a great burn.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

I am kinda OK with Vriska raising the successful Calliope.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Cat Mattress posted:

I've never understood the merit of this convention. How is using an exclamation point superior to a space? "Grimbark Jade" or "Evil Jane" convey exactly the same meaning.

Correct, it's a pointless fanficism.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Arsenic Lupin posted:

The gently caress it is. It dates back to bang-style Internet addresses; because of the way Usenet hops worked, your .signature would contain three or four different ways to reach you. decvax!foxvax!arsenical , watzoo!foxvax!arsenical, and so on. As mailers got better, the always-official arsenical@foxvax.com started to be reliable, but before that you had to specify three or four different routings. So foxvax!arsenical was your 'name' in the way that arsenical@foxvax.com is now. There were potentially many arsenicals, but only one at foxvax. The application to different versions of a character was obvious.

I don't doubt that this is what that use of ! is based on but we're not on Usenet anymore and so it serves no actual semantic purpose a space doesn't and I only ever see it used by tropers, fanfic readers/writers, and now in homestuck discussion.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Arsenic Lupin posted:

http://mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=009385

Dave, quoting Vriska:

DAVE: we still have some time to kill before poo poo starts getting real in this session
DAVE: at least according to our vriska in chief
JOHN: what do you mean?
DAVE: all the bad guys are still just outside the incipisphere

Strictly speaking, this doesn't mean that Dirk is a bad guy. It just means that all the bad guys are still out there, not necessarily that everyone out there is bad. Combined with this latest thing it is ominous though.

Also shouldn't Bec Noir show up before anyone else since he can just teleport once he enters the incipisphere?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I think this panel http://mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=009427 hints pretty strongly that Karkat isn't going to be whole-hearted when going up against his universe's Jack. Yeah, he stabbed Karkat a lot, but what's a stab or two? The panel Karkat is remembering is when Jack comforted him.

Spades Slick, to the extant that we have any idea what he even wants to do, seems the least motivated to fight any of the kids and trolls. We know he wants to kill Lord English, but he doesn't even know who the non-trolls are. Karkat he knows. Maybe Karkat will even get him on their side?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

SynthOrange posted:

On the other hand, dude loves his stabs.

On the other, other hand, this never stopped him from allying with Karkat before. :v: