Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Meldonox posted:

It looks like it has a Dashclock integration. The weather here isn't doing anything super interesting right now so it looks like it's the same as the standard Dashclock weather, but that's not terrible anyway. The umbrella warning comes as a notification, for what it's worth. Turn your phone on in the morning, and if you see an umbrella on your status bar grab it on your way out. The other big thing I've been enjoying is a persistent notification that's the current temperature.

Okay tried it, it's better than I expected for sure. I like Arcus' DashClock notification a lot better as I can configure what it shows me so I'll probably keep it installed too for a while (or use Better Weather for DashClock which gives a better notification I can link to Weather Timeline). Thanks for the sell!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Meldonox posted:

Is Lightning the best adblocking browser option out there? I'm really tempted to get the full version, but I already kinda miss the cross-platform tab and bookmark thing Chrome gives me. I'm not sure how I want to reconcile those yet

I've started using Ghostery more and more, it's pretty nice. You can import chrome bookmarks into it, but sadly that's all.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

LastInLine posted:

The problem is the same thing I'm having as I'm off work this week and the next: You turn off that alarm then forget to reenable it the night before work.

Mad question, but why not set an alarm, to remind you to switch the weekday alarms back on?

RaffyTaffy
Oct 15, 2008

deong posted:

Google is getting awful judgey....

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
I was just listening to the radio, and they ran an ad for a new show, which ended with a voice saying "OK Google set alarm listen to (show name) at (time)". I have voice commands turned off, but that was pretty clever if you ask me :laugh:

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Mikl posted:

I was just listening to the radio, and they ran an ad for a new show, which ended with a voice saying "OK Google set alarm listen to (show name) at (time)". I have voice commands turned off, but that was pretty clever if you ask me :laugh:

Welp we're just a little bit closer to Snow Crash now...

That's awful on its own terms, though.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Is Tapatalk any good? I'd like a forum software that will make reading most vbulletin and other boards as easy as the awful app does sa.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Manky posted:

Welp we're just a little bit closer to Snow Crash now...

That's awful on its own terms, though.
Dominos is going to start using pizza-warmer cars, also...

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Kerbtree posted:

Mad question, but why not set an alarm, to remind you to switch the weekday alarms back on?

:stare: :wow: Holy poo poo I think you just changed my life.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

LastInLine posted:

:stare: :wow: Holy poo poo I think you just changed my life.

Is that a Wolf Blitzer emoticon?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Karthe posted:

As someone who did just this I have to admit that it's pretty underwhelming once you get past the built-in Cardboard demos. It was about 60/40 whether an app would be playable, and even the ones that were were limited to tech demos. Hell, I couldn't even play a couple of well-reviewed games because the two images wouldn't line up and the games provided no way to adjust their spacing.

I guess watching a YouTube video as a low-res floating screen was kinda neat...

I'm tempted to return the viewer because I'm pretty sure it'll be forgotten once the Vive/Oculus/etc... drop in six months.
FTR, I've got a N6 which has a larger screen, and a lot of unity apps built on the older api has a fixed IPD which is significantly smaller than my phone and none of them work.

That said, the things that most impressed my friends and myself were photospheres. By far #1, they are amazing even if they aren't in 3d, if you take the pictures it really does look good. A lot of stuff comes through. Proton Pulse was my go-to as well when it was being passed around - it's quickly and easily grasped concept, shows off the actual 3d ability of cardboard, you can just take it off and hand it over and give people a try.

The most disappointing was youtube; you can't force the quality to be high def and everything is in grainy lower resolution. This may be due to the early technology of the capture cameras themselves coupled with heavy compression on google's end. I suspect this is due to having to transmit the entire video including things you aren't watching, and having to squeeze that into 1080p worth of bits means everything only has a half or quarter of the resolution it should.

In the "okay" camp were the cardboard movie and the youtube 'look at a video like you were in a theater' stuff, cosmic rollercoaster, and Vanguard V.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Nov 9, 2015

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

Kerbtree posted:

Or a reminder? "OK Google, remind me on <date> at <time> to enable weekday alarms."

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
"OK Google, I stayed up all night eating pie filling from the can again."
Calling "Office"... "Hello. <muffled hiss> '- I think it wants your nam-' has a family emergency to attend to, and will be unable to report for work as usual. Thank you for your consideration."

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

The rear end Stooge posted:

Is that a Wolf Blitzer emoticon?

Yeah, he belted out a really dorky "wow" at something nobody was surprised at (I think it was some foregone electoral outcome) and it became a meme, along with "hold on, Karl Rove is reporting <the opposite of reality>"

waxluthor
May 28, 2003
Is offline navigation only available in the US right now? I'm in Canada and can't get it to work. My Maps version is 9.16.2

Casyl
Feb 19, 2012

rexelation posted:

Is offline navigation only available in the US right now? I'm in Canada and can't get it to work. My Maps version is 9.16.2

9.17 is the version with offline navigation, isn't it?

waxluthor
May 28, 2003

Casyl posted:

9.17 is the version with offline navigation, isn't it?

Ahh, I figured they'd be rolling this out in stages. Play Store tells me my 9.16.2 is up-to-date and the user reviews that mentioned offline navigation are "for an older version." I've only been waiting for this feature for 3 years, what's another 3 weeks/months. :shrug:

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

rexelation posted:

Ahh, I figured they'd be rolling this out in stages. Play Store tells me my 9.16.2 is up-to-date and the user reviews that mentioned offline navigation are "for an older version." I've only been waiting for this feature for 3 years, what's another 3 weeks/months. :shrug:

The link to it is right here if you want it now.

waxluthor
May 28, 2003

Tried it and didn't work. Play Store saw it as 9.16.2 even though it's 9.17 in App info, and I tried download an area but navigation wouldn't work when I'm in airplane mode. :canada:

DoYouHasaRabbit
Oct 8, 2007
Does anyone know of a good music player? I'm done with Google Music after having it forever. I have about 7 dollars in google play credit and wouldn't care about spending that.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

DoYouHasaRabbit posted:

Does anyone know of a good music player? I'm done with Google Music after having it forever. I have about 7 dollars in google play credit and wouldn't care about spending that.

PowerAmp is real good.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.maxmpz.audioplayer.unlock

Material Skin : https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ikorolkov.poweramp.skins.material

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
What do people use for video playing? I tried VLC but it seems pretty...clunky.

Any other recommendations? I play a lot of video over a LAN so looking for something with network streaming capability.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

BoyBlunder posted:

Any other recommendations? I play a lot of video over a LAN so looking for something with network streaming capability.

BubbleUPnP is pretty popular.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

BoyBlunder posted:

I use Emby.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

DicePlayer and BSPlayer both handle browsing network shares

Casyl
Feb 19, 2012

vyst posted:

BubbleUPnP is pretty popular.

Seconding this. I use BubbleUPnP + MX Player and am quite satisfied.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
Great thanks!

Next question:

Has anyone been able to get Do Not Disturb on Marshmallow to work with 3rd party calendars, like Nine?

If I set up a test event in Exchange on Nine, and verify it is synced to my calendar, DND will not kick in for it. If I use a different calendar (like setting Exchange up through GMail) it works fine.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

Kerbtree posted:

It's alarms all the way down.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Is there an app that allows for on-demand call forwarding? Sometimes I get calls that I want to forward to a different number, but it's purely random (compared to all the calls I get). I'd rather not go for some of the solutions I found which pretty much forwards all or none of your calls.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Where has the app task manager gone in the latest version of Android (the running and cached apps thing)? Am I blind, or has it been removed completely? I used to kill off background poo poo that stole memory all the time on the old N5 running Android 5, but I can't seem to find it at all in 6.0,

edit: well I can at least "force stop" stuff from the apps menu in the settings, so there's that

ulvir fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Nov 12, 2015

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Don't do that.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Endless Mike posted:

Don't do that.

Nah, sometimes apps will hang and it's faster to force stop them then wait for Android to do it on its own. Had to do that with the one-revision back Maps a time or two, though it hasn't happened since.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

ulvir posted:

Where has the app task manager gone in the latest version of Android (the running and cached apps thing)? Am I blind, or has it been removed completely? I used to kill off background poo poo that stole memory all the time on the old N5 running Android 5, but I can't seem to find it at all in 6.0,

edit: well I can at least "force stop" stuff from the apps menu in the settings, so there's that

It's in Developer Options now

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Endless Mike posted:

Don't do that.

why not? crap like facebook or snapchat will literally hang on to resources forever and when I swipe away an app from the multitask button I want it to terminate immediately(-ish) which a lot of them never does. Like, in Android 5 I could hit the square button and see no apps running, head into "running apps" and have the memory usage be through the roof.

ulvir fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Nov 12, 2015

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Aaaaaand the new Maps saves offline maps to internal storage, with no option to use the SD card instead. Maps which can take up several gigs of space. Because gently caress people who don't have a phone with huge internal storage, am I right?

Wow that came out a bit harsher than intended, but I'm not going to reword it.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Seconding PowerAmp, but not the Material Skin*.

If you're on KitKat, and want to put your music on your SD card, plug your phone into your computer, and on the Internal Storage, go to \Android\data\ and select the com.maxmpz.audioplayer folder. Press CTRL+C to copy it, then go do \Android\data\ on your SD Card and press CRTL+V to paste it there. Click on com.maxmpz.audioplayer, and then click on cache, and stick all your music there. That will let you edit ID3 tags, download album art, etc.

*I don't like Material, period. I don't like minimal designs. I didn't like it when iOS 7 did it, and I didn't like it when Android 5.0 did it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm glad to see PowerAmp no longer looks like a bad WinAmp skin from 1997.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

ulvir posted:

why not? crap like facebook or snapchat will literally hang on to resources forever and when I swipe away an app from the multitask button I want it to terminate immediately(-ish) which a lot of them never does. Like, in Android 5 I could hit the square button and see no apps running, head into "running apps" and have the memory usage be through the roof.

Because if the app is badly behaved it will go ahead and start itself up again anyway.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Endless Mike posted:

I'm glad to see PowerAmp no longer looks like a bad WinAmp skin from 1997.

If you try hard enough, I'm pretty sure there is a WinAmp3 skin for it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
It really kicks the llama's rear end.

• Locked thread