Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
What's a good android RDP app? I want to use my PC from my couch through my Revue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
What's Android PDF support like? Is there native support for viewing files? And are there any PDF apps out there that will bookmark the last page I read so I can reopen a document at a later date to resume reading from where I left off?

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Manky posted:

Gods what I wouldn't give for Gmail controls in the notifications. My college insists on sending out endless emails and there's probably one out of twenty I don't want to delete on sight.
You could use rules and/or labels from within Gmail to tell those e-mails to skip the inbox. That'll probably help keep your notifications under control.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Syrinxx posted:

What's the goon preferred RSS reading app for 7" and 10" tablets?
I just got my Nexus 7 today and have found Google Reader great for reading my feeds. The only downside might be that you have to have your feeds added into Reader.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
What are some good split keyboards? Typing horizontally on the Nexus 7 isn't the most pleasant experience with all the reaching I have to do.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Having come over from iOS-ville, I'm used to individual app icons being able to have badges displaying a number corresponding with things like unread messages, podcasts downloaded, etc... Does this convention exist in Android? I ask because there doesn't seem to be a way to get the standard Gmail icon on the home screen to display an unread message count. I even had to add an entirely separate icon-sized widget to the home screen to get an unread newsfeed count for Google Reader.

I just want to tailor my expectations for a new OS.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

gmq posted:

It depends on the launcher. Go Launcher EX has "GO Launcher EX Notification", ADW has ADWNotifier, Nova Launcher has TeslaUnread, etc.
Ah, so it's up to the launcher. I guess the stock JB launcher doesn't support anything like that?

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Got any recommendations for a scratch pad app for sketching or writing notes? I just picked up a Jot Classic from Adonit and I can't wait to take it out for a spin.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Are there any browser apps that will let me open all bookmarks in a folder at once? I have a folder in particular with some sites I check every other day and it's a drag having to long-press > "open in new tab" each of them individually in Chrome. Is there a way to enable this functionality in Chrome?

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
I picked up OfficeSuite Pro 6+ and Tasks. I've heard OfficeSuite bombards you with upsell ads for "Office-Compatible Font Packs" but I haven't seen anything thus far so who knows.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Taffer posted:

So is it impossible to listen to youtube videos with the screen locked? I like to listen to lectures and speeches and other similar things on youtube and would like to do it on my phone while I'm walking around doing things. I did a bunch of googling but all I got were a bunch of dodgy apps that didn't work at all.
Give PVStar+ a try. I tested it out last night and was able play YouTube videos in the background and with the screen turned off. You can either add specific videos to the playlist by URL or by searching for it from within the app. The only downside is that the dev's Japanese so there's a tiny bit of Engrish in the UI.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
I've got two app questions:

1. What's the best way to access my Nexus 7's internal storage wirelessly? It would be nice to be able to sync content to it from my PC while it's charging in the other room.

2. Can I interact with and see my tablet from my PC as though I were remoting into it?

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
A friend of mine showed me Notability for iOS and I can't get over how awesome it is. Is there a good equivalent for Android? I haven't been able to find anything on the Play store, most stylus-centric note-taking apps I found on the Play store lack the ability to define a palm rest or the ability to zoom in to write on individual lines on a document.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
How does DeskSMS work? I'm thinking of abandoning Google Voice because of its lack of MMS but I don't want to give up the ability to send texts from my desktop. Its Play page isn't very descriptive - do the app redirect all SMS and MMS to its service, which then forwards it along to me? That's the only way I can think of it working and I hesitate to give them carte blanche access to my messages.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Both versions of SwiftKey 3 (phone and tablet) are half off today. Since SwiftKey Flow is going to be an update to 3 then now might be a good time to pick it up if you haven't already.

On that note, is it worth it to pick up both versions, or is the phone version just fine for tablets? I've got an N7 that I've been using the tablet version of Flow on so I have no idea how limiting the phone version might be on the larger screen. I'll be migrating to an Android phone in a couple of months and I'd just as soon pick up one app and install it on both devices. That being said, if the tablet version of SwiftKey 3 is much more suited for tablets, then I'll just drop the couple extra bucks to get it.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Athenry posted:

The Tablet version gives you a split keyboard in landscape on tablets. That's the only difference I've found.
Just a heads up, the phone version of SwiftKey 3 doesn't allow you to swipe on a tablet. I don't know if it's to encourage me to buy the tablet edition, but no matter which app I was in the keyboard would refuse to swipe on my Nexus 7.

Edit: What the hell, swipe doesn't work in the tablet edition either! SwiftKey 3 Tablet Edition won't swipe in Trillian or Drive, but SwiftKey Flow Tablet Edition will...This makes no sense SwiftKey :argh:

IAmKale fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Dec 21, 2012

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Nerdrock posted:

Swiftkey Flow is swiping. Swiftkey 3 is typing. Simple.
Whoa wait, so SwiftKey 3 doesn't have any swiping at all? I thought it was like Swype or the default Android 4.2 keyboard. If that's the case then what is SwiftKey's main selling point?

IAmKale fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Dec 21, 2012

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Well I'll be damned.:doh: Oh well, I guess I'll just buy both apps now in anticipation of the upcoming Flow update.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

LastInLine posted:

Flow is the worst swiping keyboard. I know it's just the first beta but it's just so obvious the developers have no idea how Swype users use Swype. Why would you need a way to correct words after the fact? Why would you need a way to differentiate between "to" and "too"? Why would you want multiple suggestions for swiped words?

It's exactly the Swype someone who has no interest in swiping would create.
Is Flow the only one of the "swipe-style" keyboards that lets you move over the space bar to start a new word? I was perfectly content with JB's default keyboard and its swiping capabilities until I tried out Flow. I realized that the ability to use space mid-swipe was ingenious and wondered why no one else had thought to implement such a feature. I'm pretty new to swipe keyboards, however, so I'm not really sure what other options I have.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

spog posted:

I don't have GV. Which is a shame, as it sounds cool, thanks.
Google Voice sounds neat, but it's severely hampered by its inability to receive MMS. If you switch to it, be prepared to have friends bitch at you when they send you a picture of their dog's butthole or a group text message and you don't receive it. The ability to send and receive text messages via a browser is one of GV's strong points, but with Android apps like AirDroid, that seems less and less like a killer feature.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
I know the Facebook app is kinda lovely, but has anyone else had it hard-lock their device? My Nexus 7 has hard-locked two or three times after pulling up the app, and I have to hold down the power button to get the tablet to restart itself. What's weird is that there's never a pattern to it - more often than not I can start up and use the app just fine.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Are there any scientific calculator apps for Android that are similar to iOS' Symbolic Calculator? Symbolic's killer feature is how it converts a single-line math equation into a properly formatted equation, like so:

In that third example, you'd type √68/2*√5, and when you hit enter it'll popup all neatly formatted with an answer. You can also tap on any of the answers to get numerical answers, as well as copy them for reuse in another equation. It also has a bunch of built-in math functions that you can call from the equation bar by typing it in, like entering log(4,2) to find log base2 of 4).

Most scientific calculator apps seem to emulate the one-line interface of physical calculators; this is one of the few I've found on any platform that takes some liberties with that otherwise limited design. I'm hoping there's something similar on Android.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

nigga crab pollock posted:

Can you import playlists from winamp into google play music? or vice versa?
It's been my experience that you have to manually recreate your playlists in Google Music because the uploader won't import play list files. I haven't found a way to export Google Music play lists, either.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
I finally got around to activating Carbon...but what the hell was the point of installing something on Windows to enable it? Carbon had been sitting on my tablet for the longest time because I was too lazy to go through with connecting it to my PC, and then I finally get around to connecting it and running the Carbon Windows application and am told afterwards that I no longer need to hook up my tablet to my PC to backup.

So what the hell, Carbon? All I was interested in doing in the first place was backing up to Dropbox, why did I need to "activate" the app while tethered to a computer? :argh:

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

LastInLine posted:

To expand on what Maker of Shoes said, all that the Carbon app does is provide a shell for the ADB backup command. You don't even need the app to do what it does if you want to do everything via command line/terminal in ADB on your PC. That's the crux though, you can't run certain ADB commands locally without running being rooted and so you must run the backup command from a computer running the ADB shell. The fact that all of this is abstracted to the user is the point of having an app and the limitations you're seeing are due to real and well-addressed security protocols not bad coding on Koush's part.
What you and Maker of Shoes said makes sense. How does the Carbon app retain the ability to run the ADB backup command on the device if it typically needs to be rooted or connected to a PC? I don't know enough about ADB to make sense of the fact that a one-time connection to a PC is all that's needed to make the app work on the device from that point forward, tethered or not.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Speaking of Samsung Galaxy devices, is there an app that will let me modify their bottom three hardware keys? I think Samsung makes some nice smartphone and tablet hardware (that S-pen :fap:), but I haven't been able to get over the fact that they insist on including that drat, archaic menu button. Just about everyone else has gone with the now-standard "Back/Home/Window" buttons, Samsung - why do you have to be the special snowflake? :argh:

Anyway, is it possible to take something like Samsung Galaxy S4 and reassign the bottom buttons to match the "Back/Home/Window" UX design?

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
One of the higher-ups at work is wanting to hand out 50-60 of the new Nexus 7's to our various vendors. It's going to fall upon me and my coworker to get them preloaded with a couple of documents and maybe a custom wallpaper before they're gifted out. :sigh:

I've been seeing what's possible with the stock functionality in 4.3 and discovered that Android has a Document Viewer app that can handle displaying Powerpoints and the like. Unfortunately, I can't figure out how to bring the app up without opening the Powerpoint file from within a third-party file browser app like ES File Explorer. Some Google searching tells me that Document Viewer is available via the Downloads app, but I haven't figured out how to drag-and-drop files into /SD 0/Downloads/ and have the Downloads app recognize their existence.

Sideloading additional apps won't be a problem if we need to, and in fact that'll be the only way for us to get additional apps onto the device because we're skipping the Google account setup process.

What are our best options for configuring all of these devices? Ideally we'd be able to drop a couple of Powerpoints and PDF's onto the device and then put shortcuts to them on the home screen so the user can view the documents in as few taps as possible.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Is there anything that improves Android's text selection mechanism? I've always felt that iOS had a superior cursor placement system compared to Android, with a magnifying glass that appears over your finger to show you a blown up view of where your cursor will end up when you lift for finger. I find Android's blue arrow that appears under the cursor hard to tap and move accurately.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

wa27 posted:

Finally. This has been a feature of desktop Chrome since 1.0. Now that I have a phone that can run Chrome well, I've been using facebook.com instead of the app, but it was always annoying that it would stay open in a tab when I was done.
The problem with this is that we have to wait for sites like Facebook to add the appropriate <meta> tag, otherwise I'd be just as excited as you are about this. :sigh:

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
How do I get Google Now to control music playback via Play Music? On a few separate occasions I've tried saying "Play %ALBUM NAME%" or "Play %PLAYLIST NAME%" but all I get back are Google searches of those exact words. I want to verbally switch albums or playlists from my phone while I'm in the car but I haven't been able to get it to work. What am I doing wrong?

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Is the new Photos app supposed to replace Gallery? I know it used to be called Google Photos but after a recent update out of nowhere it seems as though Google intends for us to use it over Gallery. Maybe it's because it now shows up as an alternative when viewing images.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
With regards to the new Hangouts, how do I save pictures received via MMS? A friend sent me a couple yesterday and while I can tap an image to fullscreen it, there's no prompt or menu option for me to save them. A few places online said to press the Menu button while the picture was full-screened, but those were Galaxy S devices and there's obviously no way to do that on my Moto X.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Tap the picture again when it's up and a menu softkey will appear in the top-right.
I tried that too, figuring it would be similar to the Gallery app, but nothing appears. Maybe it's an issue with my phone?

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Tapping the picture from Hangouts takes me to a black screen with just that image and Android's status bar. Tapping the picture again makes an action bar appear with a left arrow and the sender's picture on the left, and the three dots on the right. Double-tapping zooms in and I can also pinch zoom. That's on a Nexus 5. What do you get?
Tapping on a picture brought up the image in full screen mode with no visible action bar. Tapping on the image had no effect, I had to tap the Android Back button to return to Hangouts. Don't sweat it, I rolled the app back to the most recent 1.2 release available to me via the Play Store. I'll just wait for the 2.0 update to make it to me through official channels.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

ten_twentyfour posted:

iMessage does not send SMS texts. It goes through Apple's servers. This is precisely the cause of an issue I have due to swapping from an iPhone to a Nexus 5, where people with iPhones' messages don't get to me because Apple still reports my number as an iPhone. Lots of people are affected (pretty much anyone who swapped from an iPhone)
I suffered from this recently, it turns out you have to remove your phone number from your list of iMessage destinations. Look under Settings > General > Messages > Send & Receive and try to uncheck your phone number. If you can't, then tap on Apple ID above and sign out of iMessage. If that doesn't work, try turning iMessage off completely. Hopefully one of those will work for you.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
What's a good plaintext note syncing app? I've been using Evernote but it feels way overkill for my needs (and it's stopped syncing for no apparent reason). I prefer working in plaintext anyway so I just need something simple that'll sync to Dropbox and maybe Box or SkyDrive.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
That's definitely an option, but I'm fond of the idea of seeing each note as a .txt file that I can open on my PC with my default notepad application. Keep wouldn't be as much use to me offline as actual files.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Dukket posted:

Does anyone have a suggestion for a flash card app?
I think the gold standard for flash card apps on Android is AnkiDroid: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ichi2.anki

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Microsoft finalized the SkyDrive rebrand, and now that it's OneDrive they're giving away 3GB of additional OneDrive storage if you download the updated Android app and turn on Instant Upload.

On that note, if you've already done this, have you received the extra storage? I uploaded two dozen or so photos from my phone but never received it. :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Thermopyle posted:

I don't know if it's worth changing your current work flow, but the reason I do it is that it leaves my inbox with just emails that I currently care about.

You can mimic the same thing with an inbox with every email ever in it by using stars or labels or whatever, but I usually find it ends up being more trouble to fight against the way Google Way. For example, you have to use an app called MarkAsRead.
Why archive instead of delete? I've been deleting a majority of my e-mails when I'm done with them, archiving those that others might store in a folder in Outlook or the like. Am I missing out on some kind of magical Gmail experience by just not archiving those messages instead?

IAmKale fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Mar 27, 2014

• Locked thread