Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
Two of my favorite and most useful apps.

SMS Backup +
Automatically backs your text messages up to your gmail account under a specified label. Great for keeping all your text messages in a organized, threaded, and easily searchable view.
TV Show Favs
Tracks your favorite shows so you know what's airing and what you've missed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
Handcent has options for a "sent message notification" and "confirm send message" if either of those are what you're looking for.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Has anyone used Exfoliate for Facebook?

It goes through your entire facebook history automatically and deletes old content, for example likes on friends walls from 3 years ago. Can't find too much information on its effectiveness or trustworthiness (you have to give it access to your facebook account obviously) but it's on sale this weekend for $0.99.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

While I'm sure everything I've posted on facebook is already in a dozen different databases by now, removing everything from facebook that I've posted over the last 6 years should at least make it a little bit more difficult for anyone who can break a single one of my friends passwords to learn everything I've ever liked, posted, joined or been tagged in.

It's extremely frustrating to do this on your own as facebook actively tries to prevent it.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

That is the ideal solution but my friends use facebook pretty extensively to communicate and plan things so I don't want to get rid of it entirely. The app looks like it can let me use facebook while making it more difficult for someone to see old posts that I have no reason to keep on facebook.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Any goon impressions for security apps? I don't think I need an anti-virus app, mostly want to be able to locate my phone if I lose it.

Lookout seems to be the most common recommendation but I picked up a premium version of SeekDroid from one of the amazon deals of the day though so I was thinking of using that instead.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Went back to ADW since the EX version was $0.10, but it seems to have changed a lot since I used it last and I can't seem to get the bottom dockbar to act like I want.

The way I want to set it up is to have 2 dockbars. One with just 5 icons that doesn't scroll, and a second that temporarily replaces it by swiping up/down that scrolls left to right. But it looks like this functionality has been replaced with just the scrollable dockbar.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

I am probably missing something staring me straight in the face, but the newest version of Pure Calendar widget (agenda) says it added a holo theme for honeycomb/ICS in the options, but I can't find it on my galaxy nexus.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

This thread isn't being remade like the device thread just was anytime soon is it? I went through a lot of different android/tech sites app recommendations this past week looking for interesting apps I hadn't heard of and realized that they are all without exception terrible. They are either just posting inaccurate information, nothing but really obvious things (facebook/netflix/dropbox), or most commonly just really out of date. Most of what I found through a google search still recommended a task manager app.

Because of that I decided to start making my own based mostly on recommendations from this thread that I was hoping to get on the first page of a new App thread. I don't think it will be that useful in the middle of the thread and the goon wiki is long dead so I'm not sure where else to post it. For the list itself I wanted to go with the most common recommended app for a category or task with a short description, followed by any recommended alternatives. Also I want to give each app little icons for information like android version required, if it supports push updates, and if it's free/paid/free with pay version.

Here's an example

Clock Widgets
Beautiful Widgets [Paid] [1.6+]
Beautiful Widgets provides quality looking widgets with full skinning support. Clock/Weather, various toggle, battery, and date widgets are provided. Also has an option for a temperature notification in the notification bar.
Alternatives: HD Widgets [Paid] [1.6+?], Fancy Widgets [Free] [Paid] [1.6+]

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

SlayVus posted:

So maybe one of you may be able to help out a goon with no money. I have the TF201 and download the SwiftKey Tablet X trial, where can I get an app that has the same thumb keyboard layout?

I haven't heard anything about this app but its got the layout you're looking for and has a pretty high rating in the market. https://market.android.com/details?id=com.prettyeasy.tabletkeyboard.free&hl=en

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

For beautiful widgets skins I really recommend changing the sorting from "a-z" to "most downloaded".

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

http://www.nuancemobilelife.com/swype-beta-integrates-dragon-go-ice-cream-sandwich-support-2/

Looks like it
integrates with a new Siri-like project they launched called Dragon GO, improved the language modeling, and added multiple language download options for WXGA-resolution devices.

ICS support is the big thing though.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

Anyone know of a good TV guide app? I was using the actual TV Guide app until I noticed it never closed after I hit the Back button and it kept it awake for 10 hours doing nothing. Needless to say, I'm looking for a replacement.

I've used TV Show Favs which does the job, I've seen other goons recommend a web based solution (possibly getglue?), and Twee looks like it might be a better option than TV Show Favs but I haven't used personally.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

chiz posted:

What are you guys using for an snes gamepad? the touch controls are just not doing it for me.

I have an LG Optimus L9 running Android

I have a moga pocket controller that I got for free. It works and is easy to put into your pocket, but it doesn't have a d-pad and requires 2 AAA batteries.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Make sure any apps that have a widget or run in the background aren't installed on the SD card, that can cause issues. Not sure why it would happen with a stock clock widget on a Nexus 7 (which has no SD card) but it shouldn't be happening on a modern android device, and is a sign something funky is going on.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Here's a bug report that's been going on since Ice Cream sandwich on the widget freezing issue, there isn't a real fix apparently. https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=28216

It's a bug in android, but doesn't seem to affect all phones/manufacturers the same, but basically if 1 widget throws an exception every other widget will stop updating. Common causes for widgets throwing exceptions were them updating too quickly (clock apps with seconds) or calling something too large, so try disabling widgets one at a time, hopefully it's just one widget causing a problem.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Vykk.Draygo posted:

What device? I switched to ART today on my Moto X and GB still works fine.
Xposed automatically switches you back to Dalvik if you enable ART, it's not compatible.

edit: :argh:

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

rolleyes posted:

I hadn't, unfortunately. Does that mean there are no alternatives?

Are you trying to sync contact photos? Ubersync will do that

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

This is not entirely app related, but it was the best place I could think to ask.
Is it true that the physical google wallet card can only use your current google wallet balance, and not any associated checking accounts or credit cards? I think it could be useful to keep it in my car in case my actual real wallet is lost/forgotten or stolen, but if it can empty out my bank account and max out all my credit cards than I definitely don't want it.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Maker Of Shoes posted:

It can only use what's in your Google Wallet balance. I ended up using it quite a bit for the kid's allowance.
Great thanks! As an added bonus it looks like you don't need to accept funds sent through gmail in google wallet before they're added to your balance, so in theory even if I don't have my phone I should be able to get a friend or family member to fund the card through gmail, and either use the funds directly from the card or withdraw them from an atm.

It is slightly disconcerting that google sent me the card with a total of 3 clicks and 0 information entered though.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

This isn't exactly what you are looking for I don't think, but SMS Backup+ will sync your text messages to gmail using IMAP. It gives them a unique label and works fantastically with gmails conversation view. Basically gives you an easily searchable archive of all your text messages. Syncs entirely in the background, you won't ever notice it's even there.

For syncing directly to your desktop where you can receive and reply to messages directly without touching your phone I know there a couple of apps, but not sure of one that works particularly well. DeskSMS is by koush who is a pretty well known dev, but it's $5/year.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

The dev of TimePin is the same guy who rooted the moto X/Droid family. Guy definitely knows his stuff in terms of security.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

The google wallet app can and will use a linked credit card when you're doing NFC, there is a checkbox on by default to use your google balance first though. The physical google wallet card can only use your google wallet balance.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

TextSecure was brought up briefly a few pages ago, but I just installed and used it briefly and want to recommend checking it out.

The new version works very much like imessage on iOS, with the app automatically determining if both parties are using the program and automatically encrypting everything automatically, and just using standard SMS if the person you're talking too doesn't. You can also disable SMS entirely and use it only as a messaging app like WhatsApp. Interface is simple and clean, looks similar to just about every other texting app out, supports group and picture/video/audio messaging.

The downsides right now are that there isn't an iOS version, and no support for multiple devices. Both those issues are being worked on and promised "soon", but with no date or timeframe.

edit: have a link

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Facebook will absolutely take all of your texts and use it to find out who you talk with most often, how you talk to them, who you are close to, as well as build a shadow profile for any of your contacts not already on facebook. They already did this with the contacts permission which was there primarily for finding friends who were on facebook already.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

gaxsezu posted:

Does anyone use a replacement dialer app? Is this even a thing a lot of people have a need for? I'm just tired of having to switch between my contacts and the dialpad and wish the two could be integrated a little better. Nothing fancy. I've seen a couple on the Play Store but figured I'd ask here first. A lot of them have all this integration with twitter and FB that I don't really need anyway.

I like ExDialer. It also nags you to buy the pro version for $4 after a week but I thought it was well worth it.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

I have had that happen with multiple podcast apps on multiple devices since my original Droid. I think it is just android being too aggressive in kicking stuff out of memory. It hasn't happened on my current phone (droid maxx) which has 2GB of memory.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

The android phone thread is talking a lot about an exchange email app Nine.
If your work uses exchange this app is loving awesome. Like touchdown it can apply the Exchange security settings to the application rather than your entire phone, so I only have to enter the required PIN when I open the app instead of every time I unlock my phone. Unlike touchdown though it doesn't look like garbage.

You can try it for free for 2 weeks and then it's $20 (currently on sale for $10)

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

poopzilla posted:

I preordered a LG G3 and its waiting for me at home. I’m a luddite and this is my first smartphone. What are some good, basic, goon approved apps I should get for this thing?

SMS Backup+
Adds text message conversations to your gmail account.

8SMS
SMS replacement app, close to stock android with a few useful improvements

Android Device Manager
Official google app to locate/lock/erase your phone

Pushbullet
Send links, text, files between devices. Also pops up your phone notifications on your computer.

Timely
Nice alarm clock app google bought recently.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

When you set up your account in Nine you have to specify device level or application security. Device level is the default and requires a pin to unlock your phone. Application security you only need the pin when you open Nine. Simple passcode lock automatically unlocks the device when you enter the last pin number, instead of having to hit enter.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Jerk McJerkface posted:

This is not standard android behavior, but I'd love to have it. Does Nine force this behavior on the phone? If so I'd buy it for that alone.
I am pretty sure this only works when you have it set for application level security to just unlock the application.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

I'm not getting the prompt to integrate voice and hangouts, tried the google play install version and the apk from android police. I'm not too concerned with getting it immediately, but can someone who did merge them see if you can still change your google voice number after merging them? I have some random Ohio area code as my google voice number so I want to pay $10 to change it at some point.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

mango sentinel posted:

What's everyone's favorite Twitter app?

Plume is a popular one, but I recently switch to Fenix and have been really liking it. It's paid only though. FalconPro is also really well regarded but requires doing some weird thing to get it working at all.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

XIII posted:

Boy, I sure can't wait for this to still be useless to me. At least it looks nice while doing it. Hell, if I could find a decent use for my physical Wallet card, I'd be happy.

I keep my physical google wallet card in my car with ~$25 on it in case I lose my wallet. I can pull money out of an ATM, get gas, or have a friend send me additional money in an emergency. I also remember a goon saying it was great to give to kids, because you can control exactly how much they can spend and see exactly what they buy.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Almost nobody will care, but WhatsApp has been updated to use the same protocol as textsecure by default. This means that the message stays encrypted and cannot be read by anyone in between, including WhatsApp. Currently it is only enabled on android and doesn't support group or media messages, but those features are coming.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Weaponized Cum posted:

What's the best dialer? The stock Sony one on my z3c is absolute poo poo.

I really like exdialer. It isn't free though, after 7 days it will start nagging you to buy the full version.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Not sure if this will help specifically with Lollipop since I'm still on KitKat, but Nova launcher has an advanced option called "Aggressive Desktop" which is supposed to prevent it from being booted from memory and allow it to load back up faster when it is.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

I'm not really surprised pushbullet is getting blocked by corporations, I have the option turned off but I think it defaults to having the universal copy+paste on, which means anything people copy including passwords, social security numbers, nuclear launch codes and everything else is being uploaded to pushbullets servers.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Hmm, this is from one of the google voice documentation pages.

quote:

If you're calling from the United States and Canada to a number within those countries, almost all calls are free, but a few destinations will cost USD 1 cent per minute depending on the specific phone number.

Maybe it is just a specific local carrier not playing nice with google?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Pork Pie Hat posted:

What's considered the best app for encrypted SMS and IM? Must be super secure. I just want to be sure those rascals at GCHQ aren't reading my profound wisdom poo poo jokes any more. Also I want to get in on this before that scamp Cameron tries to ban all encryption.

Textsecure is believed to be secure. On iOS the app is called signal.

Tinfoil hat disclosure, if the NSA or a state government wants to get access to your messages they still probably can, though they would probably need to specifically target you and exploit your phone rather than just intercept the message going across the internet. It does not provide anonymity either, anyone monitoring you would be able to know who you were sending encrypted messages to and from.

• Locked thread