Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Ten million years of absolute power. That's what it takes to be really corrupt.

air- posted:

How about some discussion on dialer replacement apps? I'm still using Dialer One, but I'm eyeballing the Youlu Address Book from comments on the Android Police series discussing the best dialer apps.

Personally, I love using GO Dialer in conjunction with GO Contacts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Is there an app that will let me view excel spreadsheets, that will also make phone numbers that are entered dialable? IE: I have a phone number in the spreadsheet, and I can just click it and it takes me to the dialer?

I have a bunch of spreadsheets I use for work and I just thought of putting them on my phone, and right now I have just been viewing them in Astro. But it doesn't let me click on the phone numbers, or even edit them for that matter. Its a minor thing but its really convenient when I need to contact someone based on this sheet when I am on the go.

EDIT:

Living Vicariously posted:

So what's everyone's favorite browser at the moment? I'm using Opera Mobile and I like it for the most part but there's a handful of quirks about it that bother me.

I use Boat Browser, and so far it has been my favorite. I was using Dolphin for a while but a lot of times it just seemed like it would go sooooo slow on certain websites, and for me at least, Boat has been the best performing of everything I have tried.

Porkchop Express fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Dec 14, 2011

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

spixxor posted:

Does anyone else use Milocker? It's always worked perfectly for me but here in the last week or so its been doing weird poo poo. The background and button thing will vanish, and it just shows my regular background. It still works, like I can slide down where the button is supposed to be and it will unlock the phone, but I have to kind of tap around to figure out where it is exactly.

I downloaded it the other day, and while it looked nice, it wasn't working properly for me. Half the time it seemed like when I would go to unlock the phone, the lock screen wouldn't even be there, it would just open right to the home screen. When it did work it looked very nice and had some great themes, but it was slower than balls for me. I am not sure if both problems can be attributed to my phone being kind of lovely, but I just bought a new phone and was going to try and revisit it once I receive it.

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

I have used Go Locker and it works a little bit better, albeit it still seemed to be pretty slow.

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

What is the best ebook reading app out there? I was initially going to use Play Books until I found out that you can't add your own books to it, which is a bummer. I would like something that lets you easily import and lets you display books by author, thats really the only thing I care about when looking for a reader app.

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Moon+ Reader is the best ebook reader.

I tried it, but I couldn't find a way to sort by author :-/

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I think if you click on the star in the folder your books are in, then hit the Home button in the corner and click on My Shelf, they should show up. Then you can do an author sort.

edit: scratch that. Just going to My Shelf will allow you to choose the location of your books and import them.

Well son of a bitch, that worked! I swear there was no option for that before!

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

What is the best pay navigation app available? I want something that lets you download maps for use when you don't have cell signal, and voice turn by turn directions. Optional abilities to be able to just punch in the name of place if I don't have the address and traffic info would be nice as well, but not required.

I tried Co-Pilot premium but it was having trouble getting a GPS lock, even though every other GPS based app had no problems at all. It also didn't seem to be giving me any voice directions either, I purposely deviated from a route and it didn't say poo poo, and didn't appear to change the route at all.

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

I first tried using google maps as a navigation tool, but I am not a fan of using it when I am driving in the car. If I am walking somewhere or need to find a bus to take its my goto app, but for in-car navigation it doesn't cut it for me. But that is good to know.

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Thermopyle posted:

Again...just in case you don't know...Maps has a navigation mode apart from its regular map you scroll around view.

It looks like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGXIoSPGqE4

I only bring this up because your wording kind of implies that maybe you didn't know this and GMaps navigation is widely praised as a good navigation tool.

If you know that and it doesn't meet your needs, maybe you could say what about it you didn't like so that people can make recommendations for apps that address those issues.

Yes I know about the navigation app, but it's been a while since I last used it. I seem to remember that it continually freezed on me, which granted might have been because my old phone was a piece of junk. However it seems that having maps cache tiles could be kind of a pain in the rear end. I mean sure I guess I could search an area ahead of time, but if I go somewhere not planned and I can't get a signal, then I am back where I started. I would much rather an app that just lets you download the entire state of california and have it chilling out on my phone.

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

lostleaf posted:

I'll have to disagree with you there. My experience with copilot has been very poor, at least with the galaxy nexus. It was extremely inaccurate during a trip to Yosemite this April. The program frequently indicated that I was off the road even with GPS signal lock and a clear day. Once I drove into an area with 3g, I switched to google maps and it was perfect.

I'm also looking for an offline GPS program. Wish either tomtom/navigon/garmin would port over their programs.

I have been testing Sygic, and while the maps look good and it has voice direactions, it just uses generic "take the next right" instead of using street names, which is kind of irritating.

EDIT: Looks like you have to pick a special voice to get that to work for some reason.

Porkchop Express fucked around with this message at 04:46 on May 13, 2012

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

I downloaded Rdio today and I am liking it so far and the selection seems to be pretty good, I have only come across one artist that wasn't available. (Joana Newsome) The only problem I have is that I used to love stuff like this to listen to at work, but they have since blocked all streaming music apps, and I would have to listen to it on my phone hooked up to my speakers, which isn't an ideal solution. I am not sure yet if I will continue past the 7 day free trial.

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Athanos posted:

One way to get around this would be to create a play list, or select several albums that you wanted to listen to ahead of time and sync it to your phone. I thought Australia was getting rid of the caps, sucks that places are so cheap there. RMIT wouldn't let me use java programs....

I don't live in Australia, and I am not to worried about data caps. I have never come close to my data cap, its more just that its kind of a pain in the rear end to play it through my desktop speakers from my phone. Its so much easier to play it directly from my computer.

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Athanos posted:

That being said why not use a proxy to get around blocked sites?

I don't really trust a proxy site with my username and password, and I don't feel like setting up my own at home to connect, not to mention thats probably going to make it slower.

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

I assume the reason he doesn't like to use the PC speakers is because he doesn't like disconnecting them. In that case he could either get a speaker dock for his phone or some kind of adapter that would allow for two line in connections.

That is part of it, my desk at work sucks and getting to the back of the computer is a bit of a pain. Not only that but pausing music takes a little longer since I have to grab my phone, unlock it, and then pause it. Also where my office is also a parts room and I get a lot of foot traffic, so every time I leave my desk, which is often, I have to disconnect my phone and take it with me.

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

I was excited when I got ICS on my Amaze, because the first thing I did was install Chrome because I love using it on my computer. But the drat thing doesn't seem to work properly. It never displays pages right for me, Facebook for example is always formatted wrong. It also doesn't have some of the features that I came to love about Dolphin.

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

My bluetooth speakerphone will not automatically connect to my phone when its in range, I have to actively press a button on the speakerphone, or I assume connect to it via the bluetooth menu on my phone. Is there a tasker option available that will automatically do this for me? Because I always forget to connect it manually and end up missing a call because I feel the phone vibrating in my pocket a few seconds to late.

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

uapyro posted:

I've had good experience with tTorrent. I haven't tried any others, but I don't any issues downloading stuff with that app.

I use tTorrent as well, and it was pretty much the only one I could get to work properly. The other ones I tried wouldn't even download files.

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

The webpage won't even open for me to look at it.

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

That On{X} seems like a good idea in theory, but they don't really give you an easy way to make up a "recipe". You can look at the code for some of the premade ones, but if you don't know what any of it means its sort of useless, and I didn't see a whole lot in the way of tutorials. I guess if they eventually come out with a way to get a hold of more than the 8 ones they have listed now, but until then I don't know what I would do with it.

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

I think it would have been a lot better if they had given a better tutorial to try and get people in to making their own recipes. If they made an expanded tutorial I could see it perhaps being a gateway to getting people in to programming. I mean heck, I wouldn't mind learning how to if it were offered.

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

I had a heck of a time trying to find a music app that worked just the way I wanted as well, but in the end I ended up going with PlayerPro. Out of all the music apps I tried I liked its interface the best, although I didn't have the same sorting requirements as you, which made the decision easier for me.

Also on the subject of Spotify, sometimes I feel like I am the only person who doesn't like it. I tried it for a month and they definitely have a good selection, but I don't like the way the app works. Much like Rdio it gives you no good way of browsing music by genres, because sometimes I just want to listen to something new in a genre, and I like to be able to browse through artists and try them out at my leisure. The only service I know of that works the way I like it is Rhapsody, which I might go back to. (Even though the last time I tried it their app was buggy as all hell.)

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Hell I cant even get Google music to properly upload my library to the cloud.

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Zettace posted:

I recently switched to android from iphone and I'm looking for a good music player that has it's main page as a playlist rather than focusing on the individual track.

Basically something like this:

That's what I used to use on my iphone but that app is iOS only so I'm looking for something similar.

I use Shuttle music player and it lets you specify what the default page/tab viewed a, and playlists is one of the options.. I also happen to really like this music player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Anyone know of an app or some way I can sync my bookmarks with Opera on my phone with Chrome on my laptop? There is a Chrome extension for Dolphin browser I think, but I can't seem to find anything for Opera.

• Locked thread