Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

brc64 posted:

2. More recently, I'm seeing something along the lines of a "an error has occurred" toast when I try to comment on a post (comments previously worked fine). The oddity here is that the comment appears to post despite the error, but I'm seeing the error every time now.

I did try cleaning the data and cache for the app when I first started seeing issue 1, and that problem went away for like a day, but it came right back. Is anybody else running into this?

Yeah, I'm having this issue on both my Kindle Fire and my iPod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Last night, I rooted my Kindle Fire, and installed CM10 (Jelly Bean) on it. Then I did it again, because I forgot to install the Google Apps package, so my sideload of the Play Store just auto closed...

Anyway, it uses the Trebucet launcher. Where can I find themes for that?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Alright, I'll check into Nova and Apex. Thanks.

Any suggestions for a customizable Lock Screen locker replacement? I don't mind if I can only add one or two apps to the lock screen, as long as I can get some nice themes, and have the time, date, and weather displayed.

I've thought about GO Locker, but from what I've heard, all the GO stuff is just bloated and slow now.

Right now, I'm looking for a free option, but feel free to suggest paid ones as well. It'll be nice to have some to look at when money's not so tight.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Hmm... TeslaCoil makes both WidgetLocker and Nova Launcher. I may just have to find $8 to drop on them...

Thanks again for the info. I really appreciate it.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Is uninstall from the Play site new, or have I just never clicked the "My Android Apps" link? Also, yesterday I went through and removed all the garbage that I won't ever install again, so I've got a really small list. Did they fix the problem where the list cuts off after a certain number?

The Play Store just recently updated, and you can remove stuff now. The AP Review also says that it will keep track of your position in lists, has expandable notifications, and some new icons.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

I know the "remove poo poo from the list" thing is new, but I just discovered that I can uninstall things on my phone from the website on my desktop.

Oh wow. Totally missed that. Gonna have to check it out now.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

illestG, if you don't have it already, AirDroid is a must-have App.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

What's a good Facebook app? Or should I just stick with the actual FB app?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Looks like I'm sticking with Official Facebook. Thanks!

TLG James posted:

I do like the fact that you can easily switch between flow and normal typing on a dime. Good for like passwords and stuff.

But how do you do double letters? Like.... "three" You loop in normal swype.

I just trace over the letter multiple time, and it picks up that I want "three" or "need" or the like.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Sand Studio is working on AirDroid2, and have started taking signups for a 3-month invite-only Beta Test.

The big feature seems to be:

No longer limited to same WiFi network. Manage your device via your AirDroid account with available network anytime, anywhere.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

hooah posted:

I don't know. I just want something that I can see hover text for comics like xkcd and such.

xkcdViewer gives the text when you tap on the comic. It pops up a little notification window with it, and a Close button.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I have an iPod 4, so I also have iTunes. Is there an app that will (let me) stream my iTunes library to my Android tablet?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Repelex posted:

Can anybody recommend a good lock screen replacement? I like minimalistic stuff if that helps.

WidgetLocker is prety good. There are tons of themes for it on XDA, including minimal ones.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Here's a neat little WidgetLocker trick I just learned from a post over on XDA: Make your lockscreen a Tap To Unlock instead of a Slide To Unlock.

Run the WidgetLocker app to bring up the customization, long press on the screen, and choose to add a new Custom Slider. Slide the bar on the left to the center, and choose Disabled from the Actions tab, then repeat for the slider on the right. Tap on the empty spot in the middle, choose WigetLocker Actions, and select Unlock.

Change the icon if you like, and place it where you want it on your screen. Ta-da!

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

outlier posted:

* Twitter: I'd really like to be able to kill particular hashtags. I follow a bunch of colleagues who go to conferences and then fill their twitter-stream with "the coffee is really bad" / "I'm in the upper hall, where are you" / "hey lets hit that cool bar after this talk".

I use Tweetings. You can filter tags, people, or even specific Twitter clients.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

The ability to flow through the space bar is pretty much what sold me on SwiftKey Flow. I never have to lift my fingat.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

This seems promising.

I'm going to quote the XDA article on it:

XDA posted:

Cloud based services such as Google Music can be a major convenience for those with a large collection of music and limited storage space. This author, for example, can barely remember what it was like not being able to access his entire library from anywhere with a half decent Internet connection. The only complaint that myself and some other creatures of habit have, is that we can’t simply access these files via the music player we’ve been using for so long and become so accustomed to. Cue XDA Senior Member bubbleguuum and his application, GMusicFS.

The idea is simple, GMusicFS allows you to stop using the official Google Music player and mount your library on the device as a FUSE file system. This means that the tracks are visible to most regular music players as files stored locally, and can simply be played back as if they were sitting there taking up space on your SD card. There’s no guarantee that this will work with your particular music player of choice, although most popular players seem to be covered.

You will need root access and a kernel that supports FUSE, but that shouldn’t be a problem for anybody running 4.0 and above. It also goes without saying (yet here I am saying it) that you will need to have some tracks uploaded to Google Music. The application is still in beta stage, so expect bugs and the possibility of having to fiddle around a little, but I’m sure you’ll agree that for anybody who streams a lot of music from the cloud, that’s going to be time well spent.

Check out the original application thread for more information.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I prefer Weathert Live. I like the way it looks, and the lockscreen widget has a lot of info on it.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

For Twitter clients, I prefer Tweetings. I like how it handles inline images, and I love the fact that it has filters.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Apps from the Amazon App Store REQUIRE you to keep the Amazon App Store App installed in order to use/play them.

For me, it's not worth checking the crap every day, hoping to find something good, so I just ditched it. Since I only had a handful of apps from there, it was no big loss for me.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

The current rumor is that Android Jellybean 4.3 and a white Nexus 4 will be available June 10.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Yeah, Google now auto-creates G+ and YouTube accounts for you, if you have GMail. Found that out when I discovered my kid had a YT account, and when asked why, I was told, "I didn't make it. It was just there.".

I checked, and found that The Wife™ and myself also had one, though we had never made one. I'm half expecting them to start doing this with Drive, too.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

If you made the switch from Spotify to the Post Google I/O verison of Google Music, there's now an open source tool to move your Spotify playlists to Google Music.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Does Swype flow through space yet?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

No, but the Swiftkey Flow feature is garbage for typing more than two words at a time. Also the swyping in Swiftkey was just garbage anyway.

Funny. I have no problems typing multiple words with Flow.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Is there any way I can make Google Play ignore updates for certain apps? For example, I don't like the new gMail App, so I'm not going to update it, and I'd like to not have it show up when I check for updates.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

the kawaiiest posted:

Free Moon+Reader today from appgratis https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.flyersoft.moonreaderpj

This is not the regular free version, it's a special pro version that will only be available today.

Eh. I currently have Perfect Viewer, but I'm grabbing this anyway. I might like it better. Thanks for the heads up!

XDA Developers. From what I can tell, it's THE place to find custom Android stuff, like ROMs, as well as the APK files for specific features of a ROM, like the Google Play Branded phone's new Camera APK, or the Kindle Fire's Amazon Instant Video APK.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Except I can't see a way to show apps by device. All I see now is one big pile.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

El Grillo posted:

Also, any advice on paid apps to get at the app store with $25 free credit, aside from Nova prime, photoshop, beautifulwidgets?

Widget Locker if you want to customize your lock screen.

Also, you might want to check out Android Police's Best Apps/Games/WTF Apps lists. They almost always have a page where they talk about most of the items in their lists, and any that they review, they provide a link to said review.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Can someone please tell me if I'm missing something, possibly something obvious?

From what I can tell, there's no way to upload my music to Google Music, and then open the app on my tablet, and start playing my music. After I upload it, I have to make a playlist. This, of course, is harder than it needs to be because every time you go to 3Dots > Add Album To Playlist > Playlist, it 1) Reloads the page, making you lose your place, and 2) changes the order of the items on the page.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Uhhh yeah you're missing something here. Usually whenever I upload some new music, I wait a couple of minuted and it shows up under the "Listen Now" section of the Play Music app as "Recently added to my Library". No need to add it to a playlist.

OK, I see my new music, but I don't see any kind of Play All (Shuffle, Random) option(s).

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I don't have a Songs tab. All I have are Listen Now, My Library, Playlists, Instant Mixes, and Shop. According to Settings, it's Music Version v5.1.1109K.772337.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Schmoli posted:

Click on my library, you should have a ribbon below the top that has genres, artists, albums, songs. From those you should have a shuffle all option

crimedog posted:

Songs is in My Library

E whoa way beaten, sorry.

Ah! There it is! Thanks for the help everyone!

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

New question: Running a CM10.2 ROM (JB 4.2.2), and the stock browser keeps crashing on me (I've heard this is a common thing). Is there a replacement browser that will let me set a home/start page? Neither Firefox nor Chrome do this. I know Dolphin does, but I'd prefer to stay away from it.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

LastInLine posted:

CM10.2 is not Jelly Bean 4.2.2, it's 4.3. Have you cleared data from the Browser?

Er, sorry, I meant CM10.1. I've not upgraded to 4.3 yet.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Quick question about Nova Launcher: When I turn my tablet Landscape, the Dock stays where the bottom of the screen was in Portrait, so it ends up on the right side of my screen, and vertical.

What setting do I need to use to make it so that it moves to the bottom of the screen and stays horizontal when I rotate?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Oh. Darn. OK, thanks for the answer.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Just a heads up: Merging Of Google Voice And Hangouts Will Result Shutting Down All 3rd-Party Voice Apps In May 2014

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

LastInLine posted:

That having been said, can anyone think of any great app that came to Android first? Even one? Instagram, Vine, Angry Birds, Doodle Jump--you name it and it started on iOS. Until there's some great apps that start out exclusive on Android then move over by popular demand to iOS you just can't say that reality is backing up all of these stories and anecdotes about platform parity.

Maybe Foursqure?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

AOL decided to say, "gently caress everyone!", and will be shutting down WinAmp on December 20, 2013. I haven't found a clear answer to what's going to happen to the Android version, but if you use it, you might want to look into an alternative, so that if they do kill it, you can switch over.

• Locked thread