Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

scarymonkey posted:

Streaming videos from home PC to Android phones and tablets trip report::

Qloud Media (free version also available, ad supported)

Wow great write up and thanks for this, Qloud worked on both my devices I use (Galaxy Tab + Atrix). I'd previously been using Plex + Emit, plex worked with my Atrix but not galaxy tab and Emit doesn't work with the Atrix but works with Galaxy Tab.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

That AirDroid is amazing, would gladly pay for it if it wasn't free.

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

Did the new version of PowerAmp come out of beta yet ?

I've been using that beta for what seems like a fair while now and kind of forgot it was still beta.

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

What's the current choice for video players ? (free or paid)

I use to use Dice Player and had paid for it but I'm not very impressed that from what I can see they have abandoned it and released it as a new app meaning I'd have to pay again for the current version.

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

Yeah LightFlow is broken on JB.

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

I'm having some issues with SwiftKey not using correction/prediction on certain input boxes, mostly seems to happen with the stock browser and certain apps. Is this a common problem?

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

You also need a USB OTG cable (like $2) if you don't have one.

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

gender illusionist posted:

So I've just upgraded to a Galaxy Note 2 from my old HTC legend because it kept crashing and becoming unresponsive. It's awesome but I want something to manage my music library properly - I'd like to keep my audiobooks out of the 'all songs' list so I just get music when I stick it on random. Any suggestions?

You can get a third party music player (like poweramp) which lets you specify specific folder for your music (assuming your audiobooks and music are in separate folders).

Alternatively adding a .nomedia file into the audio books directories will prevent them being seen, although that might not be an option if you're using the default music app to play the audiobooks.

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

What determines which app will respond to headset controls ?

If I'm listening to a podcast or something in another app (PocketCasts in this case) and I pause with the headset button it will pause but then PowerAmp will start up and start playing music (even if it's not running).

It's only PowerAmp that seems to takes over, the high priority setting is unchecked in PowerAmp options which I assume is suppose to prevent this. Of course disabling headphone controls in PowerAmp solves the problem but I don't want to be constantly toggling that setting every time I want to listen to music.

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

Thermopyle posted:

I didn't have this problem on my GNex until I "upgraded" from stock to CM10.

Hmm now that you mention it this has only started happening to me since updating to 4.1.2 (stock) on my GNex.

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

What's the general con census on podcast apps? Which one is everyone using?

PocketCast and BeyondPod get the most mentions around here.

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

Require More Fire posted:

Why the gently caress is Google's own car home limited to certain devices? :iiam:

It pretty much works on all devices but Google for some reason want to pretend like it never existed, I don't know why though because it's actually pretty good.

You can google for the APK's if you want to go down that road, there should be two of them and you need to install both.

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

DrBouvenstein posted:

One thing I've noticed so far with Flow that I don't like is in some text fields (entering a URL, or the "to" field in a text message) you can't "flow." You have to hit each letter. I don't see the point for that at all.

It's an Android/Browser thing, nothing they can do about it.

quote:

On Android some text fields send information to the keyboard that says "do not do autocomplete or autocorrect here", because they have their own algorithms for trying to figure out what you are saying. For example, URL bars, search bars, the "to" field in your email. SwiftKey obeys these instructions.

As a general rule, if you can't see the prediction bar, you won't be able to Flow. The places where you will see the prediction bar have not changed between SwiftKey 3 and SwiftKey Flow.

http://vip.swiftkey.net/index.php?/topic/5027-unable-to-flow-in-url-fields/page__view__findpost__p__37183

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

Taffer posted:

Is there a way to make it so that dismissing a notification (text, email, whatever) will make the LED stop blinking? Is this a problem with just lightflow or does it happen without it too? I'm using the free version.

I don't know if this is a feature of the paid version or not (I guess it might be) but in the applications notification options (in light flow) you can choose between 3 options which clears the notification. The choices are manual (no idea what this does), when you turn the screen on and when the app is viewed (default).

Below that there is also a check box that can clear the notification when the notification bar is pulled down.

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

Lizard Combatant posted:

Anyone have a favourite radio app? I was using TuneIn until it started sending me push adverts, that poo poo is not on.

This is really lovely, I just got my first ad also and I'm using the loving paid version.

It's annoying that disabling notifications in Jelly Bean prevents the apps notification controls from showing up.

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

That's Apex, stock you have to go through the app drawer to add widgets and no you can't group them without using another launcher.

e:f,b

Sendo fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Dec 10, 2012

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

Frozen-Solid posted:

I got a set of NFC tags. What's the best app for setting up NFC tasks?

NFC Task Launcher has done everything I ever wanted to do.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jwsoft.nfcactionlauncher

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

Dayne posted:

Is there a way to trigger Google Now to alert me when I should leave for work without setting a Calendar appointment for it? I know you can put the time and place on an appointment and it'll alert when it's time to leave but I don't want to clutter up my calendar widget with a bunch of entries.

Under the traffic card settings add a location for work, then it will start to figure out what days/times you work pretty quickly.

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

I've found BS Player do to everything MX Player can do and more, not to mention it still supports DTS which MX Player removed support for due to licensing issues. Although if you're willing to mess around with finding the right codecs you can get it to work again.

That said though the free version of BS Player is ad supported.

For IRC I've found AndroIRC to be the best (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.androirc)

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

Backitude + Latitude has worked pretty well for me.

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

Vagrancy posted:

So Pocketcasts version 4 will finally be released later this month:

Really happy things seem to be paying off for these guys on Android, I remember when they first started bringing their apps over from IOS they were just doing it as an experiment then they went through the bullshit with Amazon and now the Android versions of their apps account make up the majority of their sales.

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

chippy posted:

Is this equivalent to marking as listened?

Yes

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

This is fantastic, working flawlessly with PowerAmp for me. Needing to remount after loading the music App is slightly annoying but I can live with it.

baka kaba posted:

Does it work with pinned music too? Playing it off the device instead of trying to stream it

Not yet but apparently it's on the todo list.

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

Am I missing something or is it not possible to have the Android Feedly app display oldest first ?

Googling suggests it was an added feature some time ago but I can't for the life of me find it.

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

Require More Fire posted:

Worst things?

Theme is red/white with no theme options.

There is a dark theme as of the update today.

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

The Gadfly posted:

Did you get it from the Amazon app store? If so, Pocketcasts removed their app from there for some stupid reason. Everyone who got it through Amazon has been blocked from their servers even if you still have the app installed. I uninstalled a while ago and switched to another podcast app.

They did it because Amazon nearly killed them as a company when they gave away their app for free, if you bought it from Amazon before it was removed you can buy it on the play store and they will refund it.

I don't think they are blocking anyone either, unless the major 4.0 update changed too much preventing really old versions from working.

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

DemonMage posted:

Yeah I'm really wondering what the gently caress here. Right now I'm not updating AirDroid and may just leave this old version I have on there since it requires a manual update. If he wanted to add all that poo poo it should be a seperate app. It's like game modders, here let me add a whole poo poo ton of stuff to this that is outside the scope of the original.

I just updated and skipped the initial prompt to make an airdroid account and it's exactly the same as the previous version just with some bug fixes and a few new features, no idea what you're on about.

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

Flaggy posted:

So is there really a point to switch to Google Music from Spotify? Other than price point? 7.99 a month on Google or 9.99 a month on Spotify, can Google Music do everything spotify can? Can you find the same music on both?

Google Music app supports landscape view. :smug:

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

Wouldn't that live wallpaper eat the battery pretty badly ?

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

I use BSPlayer although I originally switched to BSPlayer when MX Player dropped support for DTS/Dolby (not sure if it's returned) due to licensing issues. Although now BSPlayer has had to drop Dolby temporarily due to licensing claims.

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

Vinlaen posted:

How can I download a paid APK so I can side load onto another device?

The application is Splashtop THD Gamepad and I've purchased it but I want to load it onto my nvidia shield (I've been told it works)

I've tried all the google chrome apk downloaders but nothing works...

It's some hoops to jump through but http://apps.evozi.com/apk-downloader/ should work.

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

How long has the YouTube app sent notifications ?

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

Have any new music players come up that are worth looking into in the last year or so ? or is PowerAmp still the go to music player.

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

Also if you're going to use any of those services you might as well go the full distance and enable 2 factor authentication.

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

Before I throw down the money on Cerberus since my license expired or whatever just wanted to check if there is a better alternative ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

Sir Unimaginative posted:

What features are you looking for from it?

Odds are you'll end up using Android Device Manager anyway, but I'm curious.

Totally forgot this was even an option, this is all I need. Thanks.

• Locked thread