Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Casyl
Feb 19, 2012

Thoom posted:

I see nobody has plugged Solid Explorer yet this page. It's both pretty and dual pane.

I'll second this. I really like Solid Explorer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casyl
Feb 19, 2012

beerinator posted:

Me too. I wasn't sure if this was new or if it was because I have credit left from buying a Nexus 7.
They announced Google Play gift cards a day or 2 ago at Target, RadioShack, and GameStop.
http://www.engadget.com/2012/08/21/google-play-gift-cards-target-radio-shack-gamestop/

Casyl
Feb 19, 2012

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Can anybody on Jelly Bean get the built-in keyboard in WolframAlpha to work? I don't know if it's a problem with the app or cm10.

I have the Amazon Appstore version of Wolfram and the keyboard doesn't work. Looks like the Google Play version's last update was to fix the JB keyboard almost a month ago, is that where you got yours from? I hope they haven't just abandoned the Amazon version. I'm on AOKP Jelly Bean build 1.

Casyl
Feb 19, 2012
Can anyone recommend a PC remote control app? I'm looking to do things like control my PowerPoint presentations over Bluetooth. I'm leaning towards Unified Remote. It's got an attractive UI, good reviews, has been updated fairly recently (July), and the full version isn't too expensive ($4). Just wondering if any goons had any input on this kind of app.

Casyl
Feb 19, 2012
Seeing as we were recently talking about this, I though I should mention that the Amazon Appstore version of Wolfram Alpha was recently updated so the in-app keyboard works on Jelly Bean now. Took them long enough.

Casyl fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Sep 12, 2012

Casyl
Feb 19, 2012

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Is there any good calendar and note taking apps? Maybe some audio to text apps (to record a teacher and auto transcribe the presentation to text?)

If you're looking for a quick and simple notes app, I can't help you there, but the two feature-heavy ones from what I've researched are Evernote and OneNote. Evernote is probably the better choice if the app is the main method for your note-taking as it's app has more features. OneNote is better if you do a lot of note editing stuff on the PC and need to view those notes on an app (however both have desktop applications; if you don't have/want to buy OneNote there's a free webapp version of it you can access online). Both Evernote and OneNote let you take quick notes on your phone/tablet, including pictures, and IIRC Evernote let's you record voice notes on the app whereas OneNote does not. OneNote's app is pretty lacking honestly, mostly in the fact that you can't organize your notes at all or search. The free version of Evernote only lets you upload I think 60 mb/month worth of notes, and the yearly premium subscription is 1 gb/month. OneNote mobile is free up to 500 notes, then a one-time in-app payment ($5 maybe?) to get unlimited notes. OneNote syncs through Skydrive.

I myself chose to go with OneNote because I already had OneNote 2010, and I need to have a pretty robust desktop note-taking client. As for voice-to-text, I think Evernote is capable of doing that. Again, OneNote's mobile app is pretty lacking.

Casyl
Feb 19, 2012

LastInLine posted:

A) NFC is your phone has it
B) A remote app like Unified Remote.

I did a quick google search and apparently there's a way to get Tasker to automate Unified Remote functions. Since Unified Remote is capable of Wake on Lan, you should be able to get Tasker to use Unified Remote to wake your PC when you arrive home and launch basically whatever program you want. This page explains how to do this (it uses a Spotify command in the example, but any other UR command should basically be similar). And now that I know this, I'm going to try and get my phone to automatically turn on my PC every time I get home.

Casyl
Feb 19, 2012

General_Failure posted:

Can't seem to get this PC to sleep with its SSD.

If your problem is that it goes to sleep but wakes up immediately, you can go into your command line and type "powercfg lastwake" to see what wakes it up. My PC started doing this when I put in a new SSD, and it turned out that the culprit was the Samsung SSD Magician software, so not having that running all the time fixed it for me.

Casyl
Feb 19, 2012

ante posted:

Unified Remote was suggested to me a couple days ago and it rocks so hard.

Seconded. What a stupidly awesome app.

Casyl
Feb 19, 2012

nexus6 posted:

Can anybody recommend any todo list apps/widgets? Ideally I'd like to have a list of tasks on one of my home screens and be able to do add/remove tasks without having to launch an app.

I've tried Wunderlist but it only shows tasks due today instead of all tasks. The Tasks app/widget is a little too basic for me but works.

I tried Astrid and Any.DO and was frustrated with both of them, particularly Any.DO's annoying bug where the scrollable widget won't display the topmost item in your list. I picked up Tasks for $0.25 in the sale and found it to do everything I wanted to do. Syncs with Google Tasks, UI is easy to use, looks decent enough. The paid version has widgets, and you can add items via the widget through a button, however it launches the app right into the add task screen, and when you accept the new task it goes back to the app version of your to-do list instead of back to the home screen. Dunno if that's good enough for you, especially since it's not on sale anymore, but it's the to-do list app I've settled on.

Casyl
Feb 19, 2012
Chrome to Phone also works well.

Casyl
Feb 19, 2012
Add Accuweather to the list of weather apps that just got a major overhaul, complete with tablet mode. Looks much, much better than it used to, and feels like it's a bit faster as well.

Casyl
Feb 19, 2012

Atomicated posted:

How is feedly? Does it sync between using it on the web and using the mobile apps? I'm trying to sign up for it but the site seems to be down currently.

I like it quite a bit. The mobile version does indeed sync with the browser.

Casyl
Feb 19, 2012

bronin posted:

What weather apps do you guys use? I used to have the wetter.com app but tried out the new accuweather and weatherbug apps yesterday. They both look a lot nicer than the wetter.com app. I settled for weatherbug but I'm still kinda on the fence because every weather site/app shows different temps/forecasts.

I use Accuweather. The UI got much, much nicer when they redid their app a few weeks ago. I find it to be pretty accurate, but I would expect no less as I live in the same town as the Accuweather headquarters.

Casyl
Feb 19, 2012

vulturesrow posted:

Does anyone here use feedly for RSS reading? I recently started using it and I love the look and feel. Problem is that it seems to use an inordinate amount of data? Has anyone noticed this or is my sense of what would be normal usage for an RSS reader skewed? According to data usage montior (the native android one) I've used 147MB in about 2.5 days on feedly alone.

How many articles do you usually load when you get on? I use Feedly most weekday mornings on the way in to work and it loads probably 40 headlines and out of those I read one or two. In the past month it's only used about 20 mb.

Casyl
Feb 19, 2012

nigga crab pollock posted:

How long does it take for the google music app to recognize that you've uploaded something? I've been looking at the desktop page intermittently and it's there but it won't show up in the app. Refreshing doesn't help.

I had this problem about a week ago on my tablet. Turned out several Google sync items were turned off, including Google Music. Settings > Google > Google account > make sure sync for Google Play Music is on. If it is, I don't know what the problem is.

Casyl
Feb 19, 2012
Haven't seen this posted yet: Unified Remote, a really awesome remote control app for your PC, has the paid version on sale right now for $0.99.

Casyl
Feb 19, 2012

XIII posted:

Now just updated to include reminders and a few other things, including suggestions for movies, music, and such that you might like. I updated, opened it, and was greeted by a card telling me the new Dillinger Escape Plan album came out yesterday. Google knows me.

Google Music also updated with a radically redesigned UI (more like the new Google Play layout) and support for their brand new All Access subscription service.

Casyl
Feb 19, 2012

the kawaiiest posted:

Cerberus is giving away a free lifetime membership today with AppGratis. I think you can get it if you install directly from Play, but I'm not 100% sure. Here's AppGratis: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.imediapp.appgratis

This app has been around in iOS for years and it's great. It's like Amazon's free app of the day thing but without the clunky app store. Apps update through Play and not through them so you can uninstall and keep the apps you got from it.

Thanks for this. Installed AppGratis and had it install Cerberus (which it does through the Play store). Created an account and got the welcome email as well as an email saying my lifetime account had been activated for free almost immediately.

Casyl
Feb 19, 2012

PaganGoatPants posted:

Is there an Android/Kindle Fire app that can be used to stream videos from a NAS?

See if BubbleUPnP fits your needs.

Casyl
Feb 19, 2012

the kawaiiest posted:

A little while ago I was looking for a journal/notes app and found Flava, which was working okay for me. Now I've found Catch Notes and I like it better. Nicer interface, pin protection and cloud sync. Exactly what I needed.

For anyone else interested in a notes app, Microsoft just updated their OneNote Android app (which was in desperate need of a refresh). It now has a slightly better UI, search, widgets, the ability to create audio notes, and you can now create a new page in any section you want instead of it sticking in Unfiled Notes! For an app that previously had only the most basic viewing and editing functionality, this is a pretty big upgrade. I like OneNote because I mostly use my laptop for writing notes and it has a really powerful desktop client, plus I don't want to pay a monthly fee to use Evernote for more than 60 mb/month.

Casyl
Feb 19, 2012

Tilda posted:

Has anybody tried the newly released Onenote app from MS? Just wondering if it was any better than the previous bit of rubbish they had the audacity to call an app?!

It's definitely an improvement over the old version. You can now add new notes from any section instead of it going to Unfiled Notes every time, and they added search, widgets, a slightly improved UI, and audio notes.

Casyl
Feb 19, 2012

booshi posted:

Am I the only one that switched to the new GMail web interface which then killed my alerts on my phone in the GMail app?

The new interface is terrible anyway and I stopped using it, which then made the GMail app happy.

Yeah if you turn on the tabbed interface then you have to go into the app, hit the 3 dots in the upper left corner, hit manage labels, and turn on label notifications for each of your tabs. Kind of annoying, but a decent way to filter what kind of emails you get notifications for.

Casyl
Feb 19, 2012

booshi posted:

What's a good PDF reader for a Nexus 7? I'm a grad student, so I constantly read a shitload of articles, and I want to use my Nexus while I write to access my library of resources without having to context switch out of emacs on my computer.

I've bounced around a few and Mantano Reader is the one I've settled on for now. Looks good, and performs fairly well too.

Casyl
Feb 19, 2012

LastInLine posted:

I took this, mine's USYK-FHGT-TQWF

E: I don't much like this at all. Please will someone rip off Gentle Alarm's... er, gentle alarm feature. :(

Used that one. Mine's 2KKC-RM3T-1Q5N.

Edit: should have refreshed.

Casyl
Feb 19, 2012

Duckman2008 posted:

I need a very simple note app that does a few things:

-Takes typed notes
-Requires a password
-Cross platform between iOS and Android

I was using Catch but they are killing the app completely by end of the month. So I need something else. Suggestions?

This might not be ideal, but OneNote fills all those requirements.

Casyl
Feb 19, 2012

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Any suggestions for a voice recorder app? I'm not recording a phone call or anything like that - I'm interviewing someone and need to record it. Just something where I can press record and set it down on the table or something like that.

Preferably one that doesent look like poo poo, because the one I use now looks like it was made for Android 1.5

I've used Easy Voice Recorder and it was fine. There's a pro version that'll run you $4 that I bought for $0.99 on sale once over the holidays last year IIRC.

Casyl
Feb 19, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

Is there an alternative for Evernote? I'm just not willing to pay 5 bucks a month just so that my tablet will automatically sync with notes written from my computer when I come home to wi-fi. I don't even mind a paid app if it's just a one time thing.

OneNote is pretty good, if you have access to it.

Casyl
Feb 19, 2012
So, Yahoo bought Aviate. Enjoy it while it lasts.

Casyl
Feb 19, 2012

Droid Washington posted:

I'm coming to Android for the first time ever (been Apple since the 3G), and I'm trying to sort out how texting will work. Normally I get iMessages on my iPhone and iPad, but I also just bought a Windows tablet so I'm looking for something that will allow me to send/receive texts from my PC, new tablet, and new android phone (BONUS: if I could get the texts on my iPad too). I have found an app called Zipwhip that appears to do this, has anyone tried it? Or is there a better/more recommended app that does this?

Check out MightyText. I know they have a Chrome extension and an Android app, and I think I've seen a version in the Windows Store.

Casyl
Feb 19, 2012

spincube posted:

Feedly went berserk and used up a shitload of background mobile data in the last week: I only found out after I received a grumpy SMS saying to stop using up all your fair usage allowance. Maybe it's just been an odd week for apps?

My Feedly app only used 17 mb in the last couple of weeks.

Casyl
Feb 19, 2012

taschixi posted:

So I'm looking for an app replacement for Catch Notes. Catch was shut down late last year and I've been using EverNote since then, but to get the features that I want I have to pay monthly for them, which I'm sure you guys already know. Anyway I am using EverNote to write a book, and most of the other apps that I've tried for note taking have a limit to how much a single note can contain.
I am looking for an app that has cloud backups, a nice looking UI and obviously no limit on characters in a single note.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Check out OneNote. I don't think it has single note limits.

Casyl
Feb 19, 2012

ManSedan posted:

What's the best way to watch a video that I put on my device myself? I have a moto X but never used it to actually watch anything not streamed and got a Nexus 7, and the Play Videos app doesn't seem to like just throwing things into a folder via USB. Or am I living in the 00s and there's a better way now?

My favorite is MX Player.

Casyl
Feb 19, 2012
OneNote has notebook sections, pages, and subpages but I'm not sure how many times you can nest a subpage.

Casyl
Feb 19, 2012
OneNote for Android just got updated with an improved UI, swiping between notebooks/sections/pages, better formatting for tablets, and handwriting support via stylus/finger. I like that Microsoft is making a solid effort at improving the app; it used to be crap but has gotten much better recently.

Casyl
Feb 19, 2012

hooah posted:

Does it display math yet? I was quite surprised to see that the Android app didn't even show it. I'd be fine without editing or creating formulas and whatnot on my phone, but not even being able to view it is ridiculous.

I just tested this and it does not. It just says [equation] instead.

Casyl
Feb 19, 2012

ThermoPhysical posted:

http://goo.gl/1dWGKX
http://goo.gl/BrmRZv

Use these two links for 1 year and 6 months of free premium LastPass. This stacks too!

If you already have an account, this still works!

Excellent. Premium through Nov. 2016!

Casyl
Feb 19, 2012

Zhent posted:

This might be a dumb question, but I swapped from an iPhone a few weeks back and iTunes took care of moving media between my phone and my computer when they synced. Do I need an app to do that? I've got some Audiobooks that I'm trying to get onto my phone.

You can upload them to Google Play Books and then you'll be able to access them from the Play Books app without doing a direct file transfer.

Casyl
Feb 19, 2012

Vykk.Draygo posted:

GPB handles audiobooks now?

Whoops. I read "audiobooks" as "ebooks". You can put them in Google Drive or Dropbox and then use that to get them onto your phone, or get the android drivers and directly transfer the files, use an app that will control file transfer for you (I've never used it, but something like DoubleTwist to sync iTunes and Android maybe?), or I believe AirDroid can do wireless file transfers from your PC to your phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casyl
Feb 19, 2012

Ohvee posted:

Holy crap they finally did it. You have to grab it through the Amazon App but you can now watch Prime Streaming on any Android phone now.

Just tried this on my Nexus 10 and it works. I'm shocked. Never thought this day would happen. Now Chromecast support please.

• Locked thread