Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

Diplomaticus posted:

I'm a fan of Ghost Commander (I think that's what it's called, Ghost something). It's a multi-panel file browser, so basically your source folder is on the left, and then you swipe over to the right to get to the destination folder. Makes things a lot easier if you are moving multiple files to the same folder.

I really like Total Commander, it's similar to Ghost Commander, but I prefer the buttons on Total Commander, plus I've been using it a while so I'm more used to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Digital Jesus posted:

Hey dudes, what's the best app for downloading/managing/listening to podcasts? I've just grabbed BeyondPod which looks pretty decent, but if there's a better option I'd like to know.

I like Pocket Casts. It looks great and works very well. Not as advanced as something like DoggCatcher, which is also awesome, but Pocket Casts is cheaper.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Siroc posted:

How well does the Lastpass app integrate into Android (I use Chrome as my browser, if that matters). I know that there are Dolphin and Firefox plugins or something.

Is Goodreads and Flipboard in the same space, or are they slightly different?

If you are looking for it to autofill forms and passwords, then realistically your only option is to use the Dolphin Browser+Plugin (which is actually quite nice and in my experience better than Chrome). The app has a built-in soft keyboard which you can use to autofill in anything, but it's buggy as all hell. The app also comes with it's own browser which is worthless. What the app does allow you to do is access and edit your LP Vault, copy usernames and passwords from your vault, generate secure passwords (which you can copy to clipboard). Keep in mind though that all of this stuff require a LP Premium sub.

Goodreads is a social network where users can review books they've read and find books that they want to read, whereas Flipboard, as I understand it, is an app for reading magazines. e: Looks like Flipboard is one of those "magazine-ify web & social content" dealios, so it occupies the same space as stuff like Pulse and Google Currents. Maybe you meant GoodNews instead of Goodreads, in which case... I don't believe Flipboard can do Podcasts and RSS feeds, so I guess that would be the difference.

Geektox fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Aug 15, 2012

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

General_Failure posted:

Can anyone tell me a good music player? Doesn't need to be fancy. It's just the stock one really gives me the shits. If I feel like playing a specific song it clobbers the rest of the playlist so I have to screw around to get it all playing again. I just want non retarded jumping to a track. Anything beyond that is a bonus.
I believe you can get the Cyanogenmod stock player, Apollo, on XDA somewhere.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Pudgygiant posted:

BubbleUPNP is the coolest, most "the future is now" thing I have ever used. UPnP/DLNA streaming with on-the-fly switching between libraries and renderers with Push-to and Pull-from.

Yeah, I've been using it for a few months now and it is killer. Running the server software I can remote access by library via DDNS and it rules.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

To add to the stylii (styluses?) discussion: Unless the tablet has a digitizer meant for stylus input, such as the Note, Flyer or Thinkpad, then it will not perform nearly as well as a Wacom.

That's not to say other tablets are useless with styluses, but regular capacitive styluses can't do anything that your finger can't already do.

I had the Adonit Jot Pro, and it is a great stylus to use with a tablet with a decent screen like an iPad, but on my Acer Iconia which has a poo poo piece of glass for a screen, it doesn't glide at all.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Ceros_X posted:

I checked the OP but didn't see anything mentioning it so I will bump dis' thread.

I don't give two shits about twitter but my wife is a junkie. She uses Tweetbot on her iPhone but for her new tablet she hasn't found a good program. Slice looked good but the push notifications are only every 10 minutes which isn't quick enough for her. What do you goons recommend?

Tweetlanes and Boid are both fairly good.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

bomblol posted:

I totally wish Google Music had some way you could pay for a higher song limit. Since then I've just been using Audiogalaxy, which I think may have been recommended to me in the Windows software thread, but it's got an awful interface.. How are Mashup.com and Amazon's cloud music services? Also gonna check out Subsonic.

I used Subsonic for a while but now I just use Mediamonkey's built in DLNA server for home streaming and a MP3 player when I am out of the house. I really liked Subsonic though, and I don't regret paying the donation at all. The Android app's UI is still kind of Gingerbread-y though.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

The Rage posted:

So about a month ago I switched from an iPhone 3GS to the Samsung Galaxy S3. Fantastic phone, really glad I made the jump, however the base music player leaves much to be desired, and I'm wondering what music apps you guys would recommend.

Poweramp seems to be the usual recommendation. Winamp is also available but I'm not sure of the quality.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Heners_UK posted:

Alternatively DeskSMS if you can't use Google Voice (e.g. Non US folks)

But DeskSMS still requires a cell signal though, doesn't it? It just sends texts from your computer to your phone, where it then sends out normally, right?

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Steriletom posted:

Other than randomly telling me the weather occasionally, Google Now does poo poo all for me.

Are you outside of the United States? I'm in Canada, and I had to check "Use Google.com" under the search settings for Now.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

MondayHotDog posted:

Is there a good app for drawing/painting that'll run on Jelly Bean 4.2? I used to use an old WACOM and Photoshop on my PC, but now I want to switch to a Nexus 7 and draw directly on the screen. How is PicSay Pro?

Picsay is more a photo editing app than a drawing app. I think what you want is Sketchbook Pro by Autodesk

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

With all this browser talk, I just wanted to mention that apparently Firefox Mobile supports add ons now so you can get your Lastpass and Adblock on that way. For the most part it works pretty well but can get buggy here and there.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Zero VGS posted:

Is there such a thing as a camcorder app that can run in the background? It would be nice to mount my phone to the dashboard to be a GPS and dashcam at the same time.

DailyRoads Voyages supposedly has "Background video/photo capture, with optional buttons over other applications".

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

az jan jananam posted:

I believe I remember someone posting a guide to get Facebook Chat channeled into your Google Chat somehow (using XMPP I think?), can anyone repost that?

Are you referring to this?

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

az jan jananam posted:

Yes thanks! Turned out to be kind of a pain in the rear end to figure out so I gave up.

I'd recommend imo.im or IM+, both are really simple multi-protocol clients and both support push. I believe they both have syncing across devices, including a web-based client.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Atomicated posted:

I've been out of the loop for a while is Plume still considered the best twitter app?

People tend to want different features in their clients. I read more than I post, and I find both Tweet Lanes and Boid are pretty and functional.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Henry Krinkle posted:

This is an old post but I'm only just going through the thread and haven't seen an answer to this:

Here is a link that explains just how to do what you want to do with Llama or Tasker:
http://android.appstorm.net/roundups/customization-roundups/40-android-wallpapers-to-automate-with-llama-tasker/

BTW I can't believe Llama isn't getting more love in this thread.
I haven't tried Tasker but it seems that Llama does most of the same for free, and I'm loving it ever since the first minute I installed it.

I've always been hesitant to try because when I used Tasker way back in the day it always seemed to slow my phone down, but that may have just been a skewed perception. Really, all I would want the app to do is turn on Airdroid and Bluetooth when I'm connected to my home WiFi, and having a whole app dedicated to that seems excessive.

e: Anyone have a good gallery replacement? I used to use QuickPic but on my S3 using it to set wallpapers, context sharing to Instagram etc. all don't work.

Geektox fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Nov 19, 2012

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

ijii posted:

Been using my first smartphone for a bit. Compared to a flip phone, the Note 2 android phone is a world of difference.

One tiny nitpick I have is not being able to put an image on the homescreen. For example I'd like to take a camera shot of my schedule, put it on my home screen and tap once to view the schedule. Instead I have to put the Gallery or Files App on the home screen and then search it that way.

Is there a way to do what I want without having to install another app?

On the original note you could put a picture into S-Note and put the note on the homescreen as a widget.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

ijii posted:

I tried the S Note widget route and for various reasons and it's more inconvenient. I'll see if I can find a suggestions link for future updates.

What about the default Photo Frame widget? On Nova Launcher I could resize it to a 1x1 that takes me right to the photo if I clicked on it.

Not sure about default TouchWiz launcher but I'm sure you can resize widgets there as well.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Skeezy posted:

So not only is Tweet lanes development done but so is Boid's (for the most part)

http://www.androidcentral.com/team-boid-will-cease-future-development-its-twitter-client

Oh and Falcon (that Twitter app that was mostly a widget) has become its own app now. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2002259

That logo looks awfully familiar...

:coal:

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

So I installed Llama based on someone's suggestion in this thread, and now I've got it set up to open certain apps (AirDroid, BubbleUPNP) when I'm at home. What are some other neato things I can do that might not be immediately obvious? Does toggling off the WiFi when not using it actually save a lot of battery?

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

I have Llama disabled right now because I work within the same area as my house so it could not tell a difference :(

Is there a way to have it change ringtone and other settings when I connect to my home wifi? I couldn't find it.

Yes. You have to set up a Profile (third tab) with the ringtone/volume you want, then create a new event with WiFi connected as the trigger (it'll let you choose a specific network) and Profile as the action.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Switching off WiFi when not using it at home isn't terribly useful unless you have to leave the phone off its charger for a prolonged period - or you make all of the calls. It'll either resort to the cell network (which takes more power and probably has a cap) or just not use internet access (which kinda defeats the purpose of today's smartphone).

While somewhere where you don't have WiFi credentials, it can be useful just to keep it from scanning all the time. But it's still not a battery-killer. ... Unless you're doing data transfers and calls all the time.

It depends on how old your phone is and whether it was designed to actually last all day when you use it for most of the day, but batteries and battery usage on today's phones generally suck a lot less than they did even this time last year.

Yeah, I have an S3 and I've yet to see it dip below 30% before I get home so I think it probably won't be worth the effort.

MikeJF posted:

Is there a reason Llama won't work with my GSIII?

It works on mine (i747), although it can't toggle 4G.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

For internet ads there's an Adblock for Firefox Mobile, and if you are on wifi you could set up a ad-blocking host file on your router, I guess. No solution for app ads on cellular data though.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Sendo posted:

PocketCast and BeyondPod get the most mentions around here.

Actually, I think most of the thread prefers GoodNews, but Pocket Cast, BeyondPod and Doggcatcher are all good alternatives depending on your needs and whether or not you have some kind of aversion to GReader.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

My phone can do gently caress and poo poo without autocorrecting now, but it for some reason always capitalizes loving and will never "suggest" a swear, merely complacent with not correcting it.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

What is the new twitterer app that you goons are using these days? Still using tweetdeck but it is showing its age on my gs3.

Plume is good as Skeezy said. I personally like Tweetings but its a paid app.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

AlexMoron posted:

I just reset the app-specific password for my phone and it still asks for the password at checkout. So it looks like you have to enter your app-specific password every time you want to buy something. I dunno, it just seems kinda stupid to have to memorize a password the screen tells you there's no need to memorize upon creation.

Yeah, that's definitely something wonky on your end. I've had 2-Factor and pre-purchase pin enabled for a long time and it definitely works just fine. I just now bought Bard's Tale and it only asked for my pin.

What phone and which version of Android do you have?

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

AlexMoron posted:

I'm still on an HTC Thunderbolt with Android 2.3.7. I never used to have this problem but I also don't frequently buy apps all that much. I don't know if it's something with the Play Store app update or not but I hope making that one purchase fixed it.

Very odd. but as Penguissimo said, if it does end up happening again you should be able to generate yet another password and just use that. Another thing you could try is using the Clear Data option under the Play Store entry in the Applications menu (under Settings)

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

Plume is annoying with it's ad popup at the bottom of the feed (obviously I am using the unpaid version), and it feels a little overdone for my tastes. The simplicity of tweetdeck was what I loved most about it.

I appreciate what Tweetlanes is trying to do, but it seems to have a bunch of missing features, I will need to keep checking it out as it gets developed.

Thanks for all these suggestions. I like Twidere a lot, but it is missing a widget that indicates new tweets in my feed, which sucks. Does Tweetings have a good widget included, I am more willing to purchase this than Plume.

Tweeting has a timeline widget, but it's this weird dark grey text on light grey BG that can't be changed as far as I can tell. I use the Twitter widget from Android Pro Widget so I'm not bothered about that.

Tweet Lanes won't be actively developed anymore due to the Twitter API changes so don't expect new features. :(

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

SuperNuts posted:

Can anyone recommend some good sms tablet apps? Basically I'd like to be able to receive and respond to texts my phone gets on my Nexus 7. Paid for or free, doesn't really matter.

If you're not in the US and can't use GVoice, then Tablet Talk is great.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

So I'm trying out DeskSMS (bought it when it first came out and looks like I still have time on my account) and it doesn't seem to be able to retrieve my phone's existing messages, save for a single MMS I received two days ago. Any idea why that might be?

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

illestG posted:

hey everyone. i just got a galaxy s3 a week ago after having a LG vx9800 for 7 years. it's pretty awesome. i like having a little computer in my pocket instead of a piece of poo poo that turns off every other time you get a text. i finally figured out how to bring up the task manager and remove all the running apps. my dumbass downloaded the "Advanced Task Killer" that pretended to do what i was trying to. basically, i'm just trying to get the most useful apps out there. i was thinking about downloading the beautiful widgets just to customize my phone a bit, but i'm really looking to get funtional apps. i downloaded, "Simple Notepad," and it's been working pretty good for getting all my tasks together. i'm also looking for an app to manage your diet and how much energy you burn working out if anyone knows something like that. i've been reading through this thread quite a bit and someone posted the "convertr" app, for converting time,volume,weight.. awesome. i like useful little apps like this if anyone has more suggestions. also, i was thinking about getting the wolfram alpha app for my schoolwork. does anyone else have it?
so far the only apps i have are:
twitter, simple notepad, soundcloud, ebay, temple run, words with friends (preciselyRANDOM), scramble with friends (dankGOO)
thanks in advance for suggestions, i'm gunna download the SA app and keep browsing this thread from my couch :)

Hey, welcome. First of all, it's pretty important that you don't use either the built-in Task Manager nor any other like ATK unless something is unresponsive. Android memory management works very well without any user interference, and you closing apps with the task manager will potentially reduce your battery life.

Second, download something like Swiftkey or Swype. The default Samsung keyboard is pretty bad.

For a calorie tracker, MyFitnessPal works well.

For exercise trackers, it depends on the exercise. Jefit is good for weightlifters, Runkeeper, MyTracks, and a personal favorite Zombies, Run! are all apps that use the phone's internal GPS to track your route if you run, hike or bike. You can also use Strava if you are a more competitive cyclist.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

dirtyfrog posted:

I'd installed a few different NFC apps, but stripped it down to just using automate it pro. Got it all working now, set a rule that executes a separate app - BT Auto Connect - then opens up Google Music.

Yes, minimalistic text for the time/ weather

Any ideas on where my 'set by default' option has gone?

There are certain things that prompt for an application every time, like adding a picture into instagram. I'm not sure why this happens.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Trying if out right now, maybe I'm just not used to swiping but it seems to make a lot of mistakes about what I want type without anyway to adjust. From what I used of Swype, the top bar is used to select words whereas in flow the bar is used for prediction

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Mzuri posted:

At the risk of being probated for not reading all 258 pages of this thread, what is the best (or rather, least worst) app for mirroring my Galaxy S2 onto my Apple TV?

As in, iPad style Airplay? It's not really possible since Airplay is a proprietary tech. The only way to get an S2 on a TV is by using an MHL adapter.

e: :argh: autocorrect

Geektox fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Dec 8, 2012

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

FlyingCheese posted:

The problem I have with Spotify is that it seems like they got all their audio files from Napster circa 2001. Tags are a mess, bands are credited with songs they didn't have anything to do with, and a lot of it sounds like it's 96k MP3 (and some of it sounds worse!)

As far as their music selection goes, some bands have nothing listed at all, while others have their complete library. It's kind of hit or miss.

I've been liking Rdio, partly because that's the only that works in :canada:. The audio sounds pretty OK and uniform, But requires a sub with no free option.

Anyone know why the TouchWiz Messaging app is using 17% of my battery over ~2 hours? The battery screen shows 56 seconds of "Total CPU Time", is that a lot? I'd use something else, but ChompSMS can't send MMS and freezes a bunch, and GoSMS/Handcent both look like the janky Chinese spyware programs my mom love to download on her computer. Is there nothing better?

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Oh hey, remember Solid Explorer? The one decent file manager on Android?

Good news: It's out of beta. Bad news: It's gone to 14-day trialware, so if that bothers you this is your heads-up. The unlock is a whopping two dollars, though, and in my estimate that's a steal.

Hmm, I've been using Total Commander for two paned file managing goodness but it seems this one is a bit more feature rich. Will try it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

metachronos posted:

It seems like Mightytext doesn't recognize contacts I added after I installed it. Is there an easy way to resync them?

In the Settings page (link in the top right of the MightyText page) there's options at the bottom to link with your Google contacts or to Refresh Contact from Phone

• Locked thread