Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
I wanted a good music application, or that you convince me that those 60MB of memory that google play takes while idling isn't that big of a deal. I have a huge library that I could be uploading to google play but I really don't like apps that stay on the background even after I force stopped them, and I think I got some performance out of disabling google play entirely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

program666
Aug 22, 2013

OK, I will give google play another try. Another thing that I don't really like about it is that I seemingly just orders all my library by music name. I'm guessing the most """""practical""""" way to deal with that is uploading the whole thing to my butt then download on my phone right?

program666
Aug 22, 2013

Sorry, I meant it orders each album by music name instead of track order. That's probably because I just copied it over since the album I bought from the play store has the correct track order.
I though that maybe it was downloading meta data and would eventually fix itself but it never happened.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

LastInLine posted:

Does your uploaded music have good metadata? If not you may need to fix it either on the site or by deleting and reuploading once you have it straightened out locally.

I didn't upload anything yet, I only copied my library to my sd card with the file browser on windows. most albums I have order just right in every music player, and I've gone through thousands, amarok, banshee, mpd. But it's hilarious to know that even uploading stuff to the cloud might not work.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

baka kaba posted:

It'll work if you fix the metadata on it. Your thousands of music players are probably going by filename and directory structure, so if you have Now_Thats_What_I_Call_Music_102/CD_1/01_Lou_Bega_Mambo_No_5_BESTRIPZ_.ogg then they'll go with that if there's no other information or if you have it set up that way.

That's not how any modern system works, you tag things with data like Artist, Album, Year or whatever and then the library will use all that to group things however you want, so if you want a Celine Dion mix (including her rare collaborations with Merzbow) you can just do that and let the music player handle identifying all the songs she's tagged in. Your best bet is getting something like MP3Tag and sitting down with a drink and just fixing them in bulk. Once it's done it's done, and if you're already pretty organised that's half the work done!

Only thing to worry about with Google's system is it's real picky about formatting, so make sure any tags that are meant to match are exactly the same, caps and all
I know how to use some tagging apps on bash and all but I still think it would be indefinitely easier to use another music player, specially if it's one that I can order songs by filename and/or directory, specially considering I'm constantly acquiring new albums. I guess everyone here just uses google play which is a bummer.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

LastInLine posted:

Even weirder to me is that now having a local music collection is kind of niche so you'd think that those who have one would be the ones most likely to care about good metadata but if anything it seems like it's the opposite. My pet theory is that it's because these people were too into tag janitoring that they never let iTunes manage their music so now a decade after everyone else has perfect tag data they're still micromanaging folders and poo poo because they don't realize this has been a solved problem for a long time now.
It's because it just works on my pc and my old phone.

Edit: But I don't blame google for plain ignoring the old metadata stuff on those files, I read about it and it seems like it was a loving mess.

program666 fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Dec 22, 2014

program666
Aug 22, 2013

LastInLine posted:

Dumb question but if it worked on your old phone the way you wanted, why not use whatever you were using then?

Like I said though it isn't just you. I've seen this many many times before and it's very common for people to ask for an app that reads folder structure in this very thread. I just can't imagine caring that much about having music while at the same time not caring that the tag data on the collection is a clusterfuck. It seems to me like either you really care about both having your music and having their metadata be accurate or you don't care at all about your music or how it's tagged. The thing I find weird is that there are people who really, really want local music but really, really don't want to properly tag their stuff.

I think this is a situation where I'm confused by people in general, not you specifically.

dude, the old metadata works on most players still, I have like 3 albums out of 1000 that I have to order using directory. On the google player none of them are ordered correctly.
My old phone didn't have a way to order using directory structure either but it's just 3 loving albums so I did playlists for them.
The phone that I used until 2 months ago was a nokia C3-00 and I used the internal player that comes with it no I guess there is no android version of it (but maybe there's winpho version XD)

program666
Aug 22, 2013

I live in brazil, my internet is not that reliable

edit: also if there are ads I just won't use it, but I guess we have adless services now at least.

program666 fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Dec 22, 2014

program666
Aug 22, 2013

XIII posted:

Move to a real country with overpriced internet and nonexistent healthcare.

My mobile internet is overpriced as well and have data caps of 10MB on the cheapest plan. I could pay more but I feel like it would be a waste since I'm so rarely out of the house. I mean, I would only really need high speed mobile internet to use music streaming like you guys.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Now, I'm legit curious, how you guys listen to music in the middle of the highway during a trip, or when camping or something?

program666
Aug 22, 2013

ignore this stupid post

program666 fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Dec 22, 2014

program666
Aug 22, 2013

LastInLine posted:

Really I don't see the benefit of streaming services even in the best of circumstances just because I'd never listen to enough music to ever justify paying for it but I understand I'm well into the minority.
I listen to a lot of music so much I panic thinking that might want to listen to it and depend on having internet to do so.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

LastInLine posted:

Panic? Really? Panic? :crossarms:

Full-on hyperventilation, on the floor in the fetal position, crying uncontrollably panic?
m-maybe

program666
Aug 22, 2013

Hey look at that poweramp just ordered all my albums correctly, inclusing "To Be Kind" that no other player could order.

Thanks guys

program666
Aug 22, 2013

LastInLine posted:

Can't argue with it from a backup perspective. To me though it seems like there is a lack of overlap in a lot of places and it's difficult to generalize because of differences in plans, geography, infrastructure, and use patterns.

People really into music probably have collections that both exceed 20,000 tracks and have a lot of obscure items not available in Play/iTMS. At that point you get into the situation where a locker doesn't do what you need because you can't store it there anyway due to lack of space.

People kind of into music probably either don't have collections at all at this point or have so few items that streaming services, maybe even at the free level, more than satisfy their music needs. Really the only wildcard here is whether their data plan and cellular data infrastructure allows them to use it constantly everywhere. Even if it doesn't these people probably don't care enough about having their music available to them constantly for that to be a dealbreaker.

Cloud services exist not for the former but primarily for the latter in an attempt to monetize them into subscription fee paying customers. Music lockers exist pretty much just to transition people away from storing their own poo poo to using the streaming poo poo. I think the providers of these services know and understand that attempting to cater to the weirdos in category one is something that will cost a lot for little benefit and thus if you find yourself in that group you're pretty much stuck with local storage and managing your library yourself.

On a personal note I do want to say that I don't want to come across as judgy--I mean, of course there are going to be music nerds as there always have been. I'm saying if you are one, well, you're just stuck in terms of options.

you make it sound like it's a lot of work but I just have a library and I copy some discografies and sometimes only a few albuns to my mobile and that's it, I just need an app that could sort it a bit for example and I'm set for life basically

Tunga posted:

Where are you people even getting this metadata-less music? Ripping from vinyl?
I bought "to be kind" quite recently from the site of the band itself, huge flac files that no player so far was able to order properly.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

baka kaba posted:

Just tag the drat files! :cmon:

Here is a 'life hack' to help you out
http://lifehacker.com/5511473/start-to-finish-guide-to-whipping-your-musics-metadata-into-shape

Seriously this is how computers work now. It can be as easy as selecting all the tracks and hitting the 'add track numbers in order' button and then you're done, and all the music players can order the tracks because now they have track numbers. If you don't have a big library you'll be finished in no time, everything will work with it, you can use any app you like on any device and it'll just work
Yeah I might do this eventually, I actually said something wrong, "to be kind" works normally on mpd and on poweramp just not on my old phone. So maybe it's because it might have a new kind of metadata that my old phone didn't understand.

Mega Comrade posted:

I download the music I really love onto my phone from spotify, so when I've got no internet I default to the 20 albums or so I have saved. Almost all streaming services allow you to do this.
cool I didn't know that

program666
Aug 22, 2013

what would be the best offline map app?

program666
Aug 22, 2013

I tried "here maps" and it did what it was supposed to. I'm going slightly offroad on my trip to a place that is not mapped anywhere, and I'm guessing your backcountry navigators are kind of local and don't include cachoeira do pedrão - Heliodora, minas gerais, Brazil

program666
Aug 22, 2013

Kameh posted:

No, nothing like that.

if you have gmail open on some browser with chat connected you might not receive notifications.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

google maps work more or less for rio de janeiro

program666
Aug 22, 2013

beyondpod does all I want pretty well, but my needs are really simple:
- having a limit for each feed
- update all feeds, downloading new stuff and erasing old stuff beyond said limit (unless it's on your current playlist, which is neat)

and I only have like 3 feeds so I'm not sure about managing huge libraries, but those things it does pretty well, no crashes, pretty smooth app

program666
Aug 22, 2013

Oh, ooooohhh

program666
Aug 22, 2013

ES File explorer allow you to connect to a number of network folders like SSH and Windows normal sharing functionality, but I'm not sure going straight to another android.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

impulse hating happen to the best of us

program666
Aug 22, 2013

I was wondering if there is any video service that allow for caching videos for offline usage, better yet if it's automatic. I'm guessing Netflix or any service that provides normal TV stuff won't have something like that so next up would be Youtube and it seems that they had this at some point but then they removed it, but maybe there is a 3rd party app that does that. Also I would be willing to use something like Vessel if they have this feature on an android app.

Edit: I know I can use youtube-dl and just watch the video files but something that would do this more or less automatically like podcasts would be better.

program666 fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jun 29, 2015

program666
Aug 22, 2013

I kind of wanted it to just go through my subscription and download everything on the queue I still didn't watch, manually or otherwise, non-music videos.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

regulargonzalez posted:

I think amazon prime video has this ability.

E: oh. I'm in the Android app thread.
Not sure if you can do it in the Android app. You can do it on PC v:shobon:v

Thanks but amazon won't let me watch stuff like adventure time here in Brazil, so I suspect many series would have that problem. Netflix has similar problems but you can work around them using a chrome extention, but now that I think about it, I'm not sure I can do the same on android. I guess I better forget about normal TV, I'll probably be checking that music key thing.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

It seems cool but I have the feeling Something Awful is not the right audience for it.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

Bhodi posted:

I got a new phone so I'm trying to figure out this ecosystem.

Apparently, google play music won't read files from google drive? I'm running 5.1 and the only default music player appears to be play music. I have my own sorting system and directory structure, so I don't really want to have to upload/import my music to another third party.

It would be nice to be able to sync files/music/movies to my phone without the USB cable though, since i'm going to be using qi charging.

I definitely need a music player with a widget. Gapless and a 1.5x speed playback would be a bonus, since I listen to a lot of audiobooks and podcasts.

Ideas? What are people doing these days? I'm super behind the times.

Spotify will sync local songs with your phone over the wifi but you'll have to add said songs to a playlist on your local computer where they are at, then on the phone you can make said playlist available offline. It has gapless and also crossfade settings, but I don't think you can speed up play (or maybe I'm just not finding them right now).

You can also probably just sync files with dropbox or something and use poweramp, it seems to have gapless but I can't find speed up playback settings on it either.

program666 fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Jul 8, 2015

program666
Aug 22, 2013

That thing about google music not using a reasonable directory structure is loving retarded. Spotify also cache stuff in stupid ways to avoid people just copying entire albums maybe? All the difficulty they impose on using their stuff is probably related to DRM in some way, gently caress that. Nowadays I only use Spotify but that's because it allows me to use my local music files in a way that is practical for my use case and the radio features make up for whatever beef I have with they way they do things, but it doesn't make it less necessarily contrived.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I think the point is, that why would most users ever care what the directory structure looks like in the background with stuff like Google Music? You see your music in the app, you click button to hear music, and that's it.

As a common language between programs in case you want other programs to see it is one. Why mess with a convention that has been used for decades is a much much better question.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

Well DRM is the answer I guess. The actual question is why the hell would people defend such bullshit, or gloss over it.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

I know I'm just speculating but it doesn't seem like it would be that hard to just support directories, open source programs on a shoestring budget can do it. Tagging might be better but not just supporting or caching music offline on a proper directory tree is absurd to me and it's really bizarre seeing people talking like it's a completely unnecessary feature. It's about the worst case of "works for me" I've ever seen.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

Before lollipop when I connected to a wifi spot that required some browser log in, the default browser would pop up, I would enter the username/password it would save it and every time I had to log in again it would be saved and all I needed was to press a button. After upgrading from kitkat to lollipop there is some "Sign-in to network" screen that seems exclusive to this kind of operation and won't save any data at all, so I aways have to enter username and login. Is there a way to make it save this data like a usual browser would do? Better yet, is there any way to make it just connect without me having to interact with it at all?

program666
Aug 22, 2013

Moto g 2nd gen. I figured it was probably just a problem with my device since I couldn't find anyone mentioning it on Google. Oh welp.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

I'm having some awful problem, the clicker on my headphone simply stopped working one day, and it was really fast, after just one week use, it's a soundmagic e10. If I'm using VLC and I insist on clicking eventually it will start working again but it won't work anywhere else. I tested the default video player, spotify and poweramp. On spotify it will open the search if I press it 3 times. Also, if I drag the notifications panel down and click it will first select the top where the clock is then it will alternate between opening and closing the panel with wifi and flashlight icons, the same as if you touch the top of that panel, so the phone is receiving the signal, why the hell won't it work on spotify?

program666 fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jul 17, 2015

program666
Aug 22, 2013

it seems that the last update to the steam app added streaming functions :flashfap:

Edit: nah my bad, it shows your library but tapping on it only opens the store page. It seems that you can remotely order your pc to install games but that's it.

program666 fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Jul 29, 2015

program666
Aug 22, 2013

if you want to listen to the very first stuff the guy made you have to set the feed as "in order, starting with the oldest" in beyond pod

program666
Aug 22, 2013

Google keep does that

program666
Aug 22, 2013

I wanted a beep on my headphones every minute or so without me having to interact with my phone. What would be the best app for that? I'm guessing the normal android clock app can't do it, or at least I can't find the feature.

program666 fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Oct 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

program666
Aug 22, 2013

it's so microsoft bundling the only feature people would actually want behind a paywall along with a bunch of poo poo nobody asked for, and by that I mean saving videos to watch later offline

• Locked thread