Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

nickhimself posted:

I can't use the Amazon Appstore anymore. By accident I found out that once you uninstall the appstore you're unable to launch any of the apps you've downloaded from it. It's like god drat DRM for a free app I only have because it was free. That's ridiculous.

Can you uninstall the Android Market? Do you think your regular apps should function properly if you did?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

spincube posted:

When you put files into Dropbox using the client app it's pushed up to the cloud automatically, but if you drop something into the sdcard\dropbox\ folder using a file manager or something, it won't. I don't think Android lets an app 'watch' a directory in the same way as a desktop client can.

This is how it works for me. I "share" a picture with dropbox on my phone and it syncs up automatically. Never tried it the other way.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

teethgrinder posted:

Am I retarded, is there no Android game thread?

I wouldn't say that you're retarded, but here is the game thread:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3356846

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Micr0chiP posted:

Is there an easy way of sharing a location that you find in google maps on your desktop to the google maps app on android ?
I can't open the .kmz that i sent myself :argh:

I use chrome 2 phone and this works perfectly. The first time you might need to tell your phone how to handle a maps link, but if you've already done this via another app, it'll just work.

Chrome to Phone

edit: I should mention that there is a firefox extension out there that also works with the Chrome to Phone android app.

beerinator fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Dec 5, 2011

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

plester1 posted:

I'm using twicca for Twitter right now, but haven't looked in a while. Are any of the other apps significantly better?

I can't speak for "better" but I really like Plume and have been using it for about six months since I got tired of the lack of updates from Tweetdeck.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

highme posted:

I've asked this a couple of times in the past few pages of this thread but since I haven't gotten an answer. Do you know if there's a way to create more than the stock 4 columns in Plume? That's the only reason I'm sticking with Tweet Deck for the time being. There are a couple of hashtags I read regularly and don't want to have to search each time I want to see what's going on.

If there is a way, I haven't figured it out yet. This is the only reason why I still have tweetdeck installed too. But I mostly just use Plume and check Tweetdeck occasionally for a couple of saved searches.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

The Merkinman posted:

For anyone else who bought Kitchen Confidential while on sale and can no longer read it on their device (everyone who bought it?), I finally fixed the issue through a convoluted series of steps.

Delete Kitchen Confidential from Phone AND Library.
Clear cache of Google Play Books App
Find Book in Google Play Store and hit Open to re-add to Google Play Books library.

Way to promote your service Google :thumbsup:

This still didn't work for me. I'll try again later, but this is my first google play book and I definitely won't be buying anymore until it's fixed.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Glorks! posted:

The camera app on my Droid 3 is sllllloooooooooooowwwwww and it crashes about 1 in every 5 times I open it.

I don't know if this will help you, but there are lots of camera apps out there. I typically still use the default camera app, but I like Vignette enough to have paid 4 bucks for it.

Vignette Demo (free)
Vignette Paid Version

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Skeezy posted:

Facebook has no notifications system right now so it's kinda useless IMO. Either way there it is.

Flickr/Instagram changes made it worth it from my experience.

I updated today and after updating Plume wouldn't event open without an error. I uninstalled and reinstalled and it's fine now. I wonder if it's because my "Plume Premium" updated first or something? I don't remember seeing Plume Premium have an update in the past, just the main Plume app.

Either way, if anyone updates and can't get it to open, it just took an uninstall/reinstall to make it work again.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003
I got Jelly Bean on my Galaxy Nexus yesterday and now my phone no longer appears as a selection on the online Google Play store.

I can still get apps and app updates from the Play store app on my phone. But I actually liked the "install from pc" part of the online Play Store.

Anyone know how to refresh or resync phones/devices on the store?

edit: Nevermind. It appears you need to download an app from your Play app before it syncs properly with the online store after installing a new version of the OS. Weird.

beerinator fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Jul 17, 2012

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003
Favorite tethering app? It's for a rooted Galaxy Nexus and I'll probably only use it for a Nexus 7 that I'm getting soon.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Stock. I doubt your carrier will notice you tethering another Android device. It's basically all I use my Nexus S for anymore short of phone calls, WiFi tethering for the 7.

I don't have a stock tethering app. Or at least I can't find it. I used to have one on an old T-Mobile phone, but not this one, because I bought it straight from Google.

An I missing something? Anyone else have a tethering app suggestion?

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

LastInLine posted:

Settings > More... under Wireless & Networks > Tethering & portable hotspot

Damnit. That's what I used to do... Stupid brain.

Thanks!

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Cruseydr posted:

The play store is showing me a "redeem" menu option now!

Me too. I wasn't sure if this was new or if it was because I have credit left from buying a Nexus 7.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Flaggy posted:

Can anyone recommend a good Photo storage app for my Nexus 7. We use it to take videos and pictures of our products to different buyers in the area, we want something anyone can use and the guys that are currently using it are a little confused when it comes to new tech.

You use the front camera for pictures of your products? You could set up a dropbox app and it has a setting that automatically uploads photos taken to the "Camera Uploads" folder.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Flaggy posted:

What app do you guys recommend for reading comics?

I really like ComicRack. I eventually paid for it because it syncs so well between my computer and my device.

There is a free version.

And the paid version is more expensive than a lot of other apps, but I think it's worth it.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

krushgroove posted:

I did and found exactly the same thing! Can't wait to try it out but OMG 298mb download!

It took me forever to download.

So, I've been using Google Music for my running music. Now, Zombies Run! doesn't read playlists from Google Music, so I'm trying winamp. We'll see how this works.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003
Anyone have a favorite php ide they use? Not expecting to find full time web editor tools or anything. Just something that I can use to ftp in and edit a page or two on my tablet if needed. Unless it costs more than two pints of beer, not worried about price.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Napolean Bonerfarts posted:

Yo, are there any good photoshop-like mobile apps. I need to photoshops wieners in place of a chicks nipples+areolas on the fly during my roadtrip.

I like PicSay Pro. I paid for it a year or so ago and it's worth it for me. Lots of options, but I mostly use it for the "boost" feature, on dark images.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

ThermoPhysical posted:

What does Nova Launcher look like on a tablet anyway? If I wanted to give the Nexus 7 a 10" layout with it, could I?

I know Apex Free Version has an option for it, but I bought Nova previously with the 25 cent sale and was wondering if it could do the same.

It gets rid of the google search bar and removes the space where it was, allowing for six apps in height on each homescreen plus the seven "favorite apps" at the bottom (when it portrait mode). It allows the homescreen to rotate on the Nexus 7 and when the screen is rotated to horizontal, the homescreens do switch to be more like the regular android tablet.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Lowen SoDium posted:

If you are rooted, all you have to do is change your device's DPI to about 160 or 170 by editing your build.prop file.

This will enable the real tablet UI. If you don't like it, change your DPI back to 213.

I did this right after I rooted my Nexus 7 and the change made it so quite a few apps in the play store were no longer compatible with my device. If I wanted to download the app, I had to change the DPI back and then either wait a while, or clear data from the play store app in order for me to be able to download the app.

I realized the main thing I enjoyed from changing the dpi was the homescreen rotation, so I have kept my dpi at the original 213.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Viper915 posted:

At work, my desk is in a dead spot of the building so I can't get texts all day. Is there an app that I can either automate or just enable when I go to work and disable when I leave that can forward texts to my email address so that I can receieve and reply to them during the day while leaving my phone either in my car or in a friend's drawer in another area where there is service?

If you're on the same wifi network with your friend's desk, you could use Airdroid and text/sms right from your browser. Honestly, I can't remember how Airdroid works, so I could be wrong that you have to be on the same network.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sand.airdroid

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Penguissimo posted:

Any suggestions for a good one?

ComicRack it's not free, but there is a free version that should be linked from that Play Store page. I like it because I can host the comics on my computer and share them wirelessly with my tablet. I think the wifi share options are only available on the paid version.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Troll posted:

I just released my first app yesterday and a friend of mine suggested I make mention of it here.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.wtl.scour

It is a mobile interface for searching craigslist.org. I tried to make it as clean and simple as possible (which is something I feel the alternatives did averagely). Right now the UI is targeted specifically at phones, but I intend to make a tablet specific layout after I finish new-listing alerts.

Hopefully some of you find it useful :hfive:

I don't buy much on craigslist, but you've already made a more user friendly site than they did back in 1999. Only question: what are you using to make thumbnails? They're a bit of a mess (on a Nexus 7 - stretching or something?)

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

spincube posted:

I've updated both, but I'm not seeing an option to enable Gmail cards in Now.

Also: is it called "Google Search" now? I seem to remember it being called Google Now in my app list, but I just updated it and it's called Google Search.

I also did not get any new cards.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

calandryll posted:

That's my problem with some of these apps. I love Tasker but on my phone it's a pain in the rear end to setup, same with some of the widgets. I wish I could make a text file or something and toss it on my phone and bam done.

THIS is a great idea. I bought tasker a year ago and have never really used it. I had great ideas about using it but just never really wanted to invest the time. I'm a developer too, so it's not like I'm a moron, I just don't want to put effort into it.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Jeff Goldblum posted:

After recording my mom's phone data usage, it turns out the "data hog" was a program called K-9 Mail, some ad-supported freebie that my mom had installed because her Gingerbread mail client was inexplicably unable to properly handle her AOL account. So far, I've got the K-9 Mail client under my thumb with one of those data manager apps that will not allow it to function without being connected to Wi-Fi. But, I'd rather just get rid of it. I tried getting the stock mail client to work, but nobody here, at Verizon, Samsung or Google can figure out why it's happening.

Any free mail client for AOL or whatever manner of mail they use, POP3 or something? one that WON'T gobble data like Rick James's nose gobbled cocaine?

There must be a different version of this somewhere. I've been using K-9 since I got my first android G1 four or five years ago and I've never noticed any ads or any data hogging. It is based off the first version of "email" the non-gmail email client. Maybe it performs differently on different versions of android, but it works just fine for me on jelly bean.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

ZombyWoof posted:

This. K9 Mail (http://code.google.com/p/k9mail/) has zero ads, and any data hogging is due to how you have it configured. To be fair I'm not sure how sane the defaults are with regards to syncing/push though so maybe it was just bad luck.

I'd love to see the UI refreshed though. It still looks the same it did a couple of years ago which is a real bummer.

It would definitely be nice to see updates in the UI. Honestly, the only reason I still use it over the default email client is because K-9 has an easy "mark all as read" function. I get a lot of automated emails from one of my servers and like seeing the emails come in, but I don't need to actually open them regularly.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

fivre posted:

Crazy people not using TweetDeck.

I mean, they're owned by Twitter, so it will maybe get the same treatment, but it's certainly useful in avoiding the Facebook app.

You use tweetdeck on android? It's been pretty neglected since 2011.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

the littlest prince posted:

I really only play phone games in short bursts (like, 2-3 minutes), any of them good for that?

I've really enjoyed Contre Jour over the past hour or two. It'll work for 5 minute sessions if you like puzzles. You won't get them all that quickly, but it remembers your place very well.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

rotaryfun posted:

I don't see how Vine is more integrated with twitter. I can post my instagram stuff to twitter/fb with the press of a button from within the app just as easy.

But that's just me.

Vine is more integrated with twitter, because vine uses the Twitter Card system and all vines are visible to anyone using an official twitter app, the twitter website or tweetdeck (or any other app that uses the twitter card api).

Tweetdeck removed the ability for their images to be displayed in the twitter card system, so it all just appears as a link unless you're using a third party app.

edit: I'm not trying to say one is better than the other, just pointing out the differences in twitter integration.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

rotaryfun posted:

That's cool I guess. Never would have known that because I've never used the official twitter app. Seems like twitter sure does like to limit quite a bit of functionality with their service.

You actually can't blame twitter for this one. Instagram didn't want their pictures to be shown directly on twitter. They wanted the click throughs so that they would get more users on their own site.

Plus Instagram is owned by facebook. But mostly, I think they didn't want to give away their images for free.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003
I turned off facebook notifications a while back. Recently, the changes to gmail made facebook notifications somewhat hidden.

Life is better on this side.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

godzirraRAWR posted:

Can I bitch about Google Music here?

I'm paying for it currently, to see if it'd make a good replacement for Spotify. My biggest problem is that if I click on a radio station, it doesn't seem to want to play stuff from OUTSIDE of my Library.

Like all the stuff I've uploaded and clicked and chose "Add to Library". It just cycles through all of that, no matter WHAT radio I try to play. Artist based, song based, whatever.

Am I just doing this wrong, or is google eating dicks at yet another app?

The radio works fine for me. It usually throws in one or two of my downloaded songs, but no more than that.

Check your settings? "Stream via Wi-Fi only" could be the issue?

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003
My wife was sort of forced to upgrade yesterday to a Galaxy S4 (from a dying S2) on t-mobile. I had used the Samsung Kies software to bring her up to Jelly Bean a while back.

None of her wifi passwords came over to the new phone though. I have a Nexus 7/Galaxy Nexus and have had android since the G1 and I seem to remember mine always being backed up. What is doing that and why isn't that available across all devices? Is it a setting somewhere that I've missed?

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

It asks you during setup, but you can change it in Settings->Backup & reset.

Thanks. I wasn't at tmobile with her, but she told them that mine transferred between devices and the people at the store thought it was magical and couldn't believe it.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003
This is not totally an app, but it does come with an app and it appears that it would integrate with Tasker.

Pressy - the Almighty Android Button!

It's a new and fully funded kickstarter for a tiny little button that fits in your headphone socket. You can program what the button does and it allows you to bypass unlocking the phone to do it. So if you want to take a picture without unlocking your phone, you can simply set the pressy app for that function to occur with two button clicks and it'll work.

Looks pretty neat and for between 17 and 25 bucks you can get a pressy that will work for any device running 2.3 and up.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003
Is there a way to see the price for an app if you have it installed?

There used to be a way, but it looks like they've removed that from Google Play. Am I just not looking in the right spot?

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003
beerinator@gmail.com please. This looks sweet!

Used: DTRENDS

beerinator fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Oct 15, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003
Last post on this for me: "DTRENDS" is working for Aviate invites still.

• Locked thread