Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Syrinxx posted:

This section should definitely include iSyncr because it's awesome and DoubleTwist is a piece of crap.

I prefer manually managing my music's file structure and simply drag-and-dropping onto the phone, but this is coming from a stubborn old school PC user who borderline hates iTunes (not Apple.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

For anyone running the current Google+ 2.0 beta (leak?), if you're having issues with your contact list in any way causing android.process.acore to crash, it's likely Google+ causing it.

Ugh. Spent two days researching this specific crash, with most people's problem being sync settings or some sort of invalid data in their gmail contacts list (special characters, incomplete fields, etc.) If you're certain that your contacts list is proper yet still crashing when trying to sync, add/remove contacts, or view contacts, try uninstalling Google+ 2.0 and reverting back to the current Android Market version. Everything contacts-related works perfectly now.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I've been playing with the whole "OK Google" crap lately, and realized it'd be really cool if I could control my music player via voice (at the very least, "next track" and "previous track" would suffice for me.) Are there any players out that do this? Of course, it'd have to acknowledge these commands while the screen is off for maximum effect, and I can already tell I'm probably asking for way too much (I don't have a Moto X, so I doubt my phone [HTC One] is even capable of this.)

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Dice Dice Baby posted:

I know it's become cliche but you can do this with Tasker

Nice, thanks! Using this guide, I was able to finagle some custom voice commands. Now, I just need to mess with it some more to make sure it doesn't drain my battery in a matter of hours.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Go RV! posted:

Ok, Tasker looks super cool, and I can see the usefulness in theory, but I'm having a complete lack of creativity. Probably because I just switched from a Droid X to a Nexus 5 and am basically used to having a barely functional piece of poo poo as a phone. Anyway, what do you guys use Tasker for?

You can get accustomed to Tasker (and come up with ideas) by just going through the motions of creating a profile, as if you had a task in mind. Check each category (i.e. Hardware, Sensors, Apps, etc.) to see what you can and cannot use as triggers for a task to perform. As an example, a popular one I see mentioned a lot is "silence if face down, ringer on if face up."

I was playing with it the other day, and came up with "wake device (required "Secure Settings" Tasker plugin) if phone is standing up at a 90 degree angle" but it proved to be a little too useful for its own good, as I dock my phone in that position in the car, and I don't need the screen turning on indefinitely while driving.

I also used another app/plugin, AutoVoice, in conjunction with Tasker to create voice commands for my music player (Poweramp, but would work for any music player.) I wanted to be able to say "next track" (and other commands) while driving to avoid taking my eyes off of the road, but it's proving to be about as practical, since I have to yell my head off for it to pick up my voice above the music.

enojy fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Dec 9, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

JakeP posted:

What kinda names android anyway? :downs:

Around these parts, we call them "droids" for short.

• Locked thread