Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.
I am a little confused about Adsense. I signed up for it on the 3rd. I havent gotten any email saying I have been approved but the Adsense website says

quote:

Welcome aboard
Now that your AdSense account is fully activated:
stuff about setting payment
Google says that my ads are active but even though I picked the "If no ads, show a color" option, the area is just blank.

Is this normal? Have I misconfigured something?

KetTarma fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jan 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

So I guess Google or Wordpress or something was hiding my ads from me so I couldnt accidently click on them. I dont know how long that's been the case but it's all working now. Someone suggested I try viewing my site in Incognito mode and that worked.

If anyone is bored and wants to tell me if I'm doing anything obviously wrong, my site is https://www.wirebiters.com
I've installed most of the suggested plugins and have been setting up social media accounts for the page. I'm still trying to figure out this SEO stuff.

I'm doing his site as a way to re-familiarize myself with some engineering fundamentals by writing articles about non-wikipedia-sperg-level theory while hopefully making a few dollars on the side. I figured I'd do some product reviews for hobby electronics stuff off of Amazon and include an affiliate link if someone wanted to use my materials list.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

I think that the WP theme I have installed automatically hides ads from me so I dont accidently click them and get kicked off of Google. Didnt show up in IE with no addons.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

I have some dumb questions:

Should I be making new "pages" or new "posts"?
I've been making posts so far and can't tell if there's a difference or not. I'm writing as an engineering-theory with hobby electronics review site if it matters.

Do I need to purchase advertising before my site starts to see any real traffic? I have all the social media sites set up with automatic reposting so almost all of my traffic comes from people checking out my site from facebook page spam. I don't get a lot of people from google. I've been trying to optimize my keywords as best I can. I've also submitted sitemaps to everyone. Right now I'm seeing about 5-10 hits per day.

I'd be willing to throw a few dollars at paid ads if it has a good ROI.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

I had a Google analytics account although I just did the page highlighting portion. Everything else is good to go.

I have the Yoast SEO plugin installed and have been trying to use it. Truthfully though, I'm not sure if I'm doing it right. I tried to update my .htaccess file so I could use verbose URLs instead of index numbered URLs. Other than the keyword checking part of the SEO Im not sure what else to do.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

WP says that it doesn't have read/write permission and I have to manually update a .htaccess file ... somewhere.
When I try to switch over to verbose URLs, it says

quote:

If your .htaccess file were writable, we could do this automatically, but it isn’t so these are the mod_rewrite rules you should have in your .htaccess file. Click in the field and press CTRL + a to select all.
code:
<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /
RewriteRule ^index\.php$ - [L]
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
RewriteRule . /index.php [L]
</IfModule>

I have no .htaccess file in any of my directories on my server so I'm a little confused.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Looks like I got the automatic URL thing working now, hooray

Does that really help all that much? I made a google analytics account and did everything on there it would let me.
Submitted a sitemap to bing, yahoo, and google.
I have automatic facebook/twitter relays set up.

I guess I just dont know if I've done everything I need to.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

What exactly is the point of fake followers? Do they do something for you?

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Does it help me in any way if people visit my site, read articles, but do not click anything? If so, how?

Wondering if that tenbux for a facebook ad was a total waste or not.
(At least I got a dozen Likes out of it, heh)

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

I've made about $7 from display ads and $0.24 from affiliate links this month. I guess that covers my maintenance fees.

Someone told me last night "Your front end is horrible and your site takes too long to load from all the poo poo you have running"

I rearranged things a little and removed some widgets. I'm kind of clueless on styles and just picked what I thought was a pretty premium wordpress theme.

Every post has a short bio of the author (I am the only one though) so I have that covered. I switched to my personal twitter account for linking per someone's advice.

I'll look into the OptinSkin and try to get that set up the next time I go to make major changes. I think I know how to set up a featured articles scrollbar on the side. Should I change the theme or layout or anything while I'm at it?
Here's my site: https://www.wirebiters.com

I'm a little worried that I wasted money on a bad theme based on what that guy said.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

jabro posted:

[*]Right menu bar. Have a newsletter sub button at the top. Open a MailChimp account. It's free for the first 2000 subscribers.

How much did you pay for the theme if you mind me asking? How configurable is it? How many plug-ins do you have running? What are they? I find when people start blogging they can get a plug-in happy. When I started I had over 20 because everything looked so cool and would make my blog work so much better!

I'm using this theme which was 45$.

I was kind of afraid to go diving into the php files to try to disable the social media stuff. I disabled everything I'm not using. I'm going to make a github account (people still use that, right?) and g+ account (is that worth the effort?). I just dont have any code that's really notable other than C++ schoolwork. I have some VHDL that's kind of neat and am learning assembly right now so I'll have some of that eventually.

I cant delete the Uncategorized category without messing up my theme. I can, however, change it to Announcements which sounds better.

I have a youtube channel but I havent done a very good job of setting it up. My camera gear is... my cellphone. It's not very good. I used to teach so I know I can at least present topics well. I just need something better than aiming my cellphone at what Im doing.

I decided to just drop the tags. I'm not entirely sure what they're there for anyway.

I'm going to hire a graphic designer I know to make a logo eventually. I just have no clue what to go for.

Plugin-wise:
All in one Rich Snippets
Google Analytics
Google XML Sitemaps
Jetpack
Symple Shortcodes
Pinterest Automatic
Wordpress SEO

Edit: I already had a mail plugin installed (Jetpack does everything)

KetTarma fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jan 16, 2014

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. I'm going to look at getting a logo soonish. I'm sure I'll have more newbie questions in the near future. I made 34 cents today at least :3 After spending more hours than I care to mention doing all of the suggestions you guys had, I think I might hold off on writing an article for tonight haha.

:siren: My Google MultiScreen rating just went from 5 stars to 1 star. I have no idea why.
always something.

KetTarma fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jan 17, 2014

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Im worried that my affiliate links are messed up somehow. Amazon says that 50 people have clicked on them so far. One person bought something a while ago. Yesterday, one of my regular readers told me that he bought something through an affiliate link (though it wasnt the item I had posted, he bought something else). I havent seen it show up on my feed yet. Does this indicate something is wrong?

I'm not worried about the lost revenue so much as having it misconfigured for so long.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Does Amazon only pay you for someone buying the exact item that you linked? Because I've had several people recently click on an affiliate link then go on to buy something totally unrelated.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

I Am Hydrogen posted:

Can anyone recommend a good social media plugin for following/liking posts for the major social media sites? I've been using social sharing toolkit but for some reason whenever it's active, my sites go offline/time out due to a memory leak, so I need something that works without having my host throttling my CPU. Thanks!

Jetpack has a feature for that. It lets you share posts to Facebook, Linkedin, Twitter, Stumbleupon, Reddit, G+, etc.
I have not figured out a way for it to let you Like posts, however.

Since I might as well ask, has anyone had any experience with Outbrain.com ? They're the ones that make the article lists you see on CNN and other major sites. I find myself always clicking on those ads yet never clicking on Google ads.

KetTarma fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jan 29, 2014

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Yes and yes.

Top-level domains (like .com) are the extensions associated with domain names. For best ranking results, avoid uncommon top-level domains (TLDs). Like hyphens, TLDs such as .info, .cc, .ws, and .name are spam indicators.

When a webmaster registers a domain name, they will be given the option to buy additional TLDs. In order to maximize the direct traffic to a domain, it is advised that webmasters should only buy a domain if the .com version is available. Additionally, it is not recommend that SEO-conscious webmasters purchase low quality TLDs such as .biz, .info, .ws, .name, etc. as a means of increasing traffic.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

My understanding is that non-traditional TLDs are given higher scrutiny and lower priority due to their use by spammers and scammers. Traditional TLDs are more likely to be legitimate businesses whereas https://www.face-books.es is probably a phishing site.

I would imagine that .au wouldn't be penalized as heavily as a .cs or something.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

I copy pasted from http://moz.com/learn/seo/domain

I really need to figure out how to get more people to click ads. I've had nearly 2000 visitors and about 7 clicks. WELP

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

I dont really know how to do that. I read that directly under the title for a post is the most ideal place for getting clicks so I did that.
Is Google going to poo poo on me for having 3 AdSense ads, an amazon ad, and the occassional text link that leads to an affiliate?

Also, Google is only showing 2 ads at once. Third one is blank.
Is that bad?

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Its a hobby electronics blog with a bunch of articles on science-related stuff.
Here's my traffic from midnight til just now:

www.wirebiters.com posted:

Home page / Archives 13
Phantom Loads and How To Prevent Them 3
Digital Logic and Boolean Algebra 2
What does an op amp do? 2
6 Reasons Why Everything You Know Will End 2
What is Bitcoin? 2
Why should I switch to LED or fluorescent lights? 2
Why is evolution just a theory? 2
How do I use Superposition Theorem for linear circuits? 2
Why do fluorescent lights mess up my WiFi signal? 1

It's kind of all over the place sometimes since I get most of my ideas for stuff to write about from Facebook or Twitter conversations.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

The You Might Like and Related Links things arent enough? I generally try to refer to other articles if they build off of each other but 90% of them are one-off.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

I think he means work in links to things that segue in without being too weird.

Yeah, I've tried to do that a few times. I'll definitely do it more though.

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

Your site is going to be hard to monetise, ads are a hard way to make money even on an add friendly targeted site the click through rates are low. I also wonder if there's much cross over between your audience and the venn circle of "educated internet users" who either never click on ads or run ad-blocker.
It looks like about 50% of people that visit my site are running ad blocker software. I realized that my target audience is going to mess up ad monetization not too long ago which sucks. On the bright side, worst case scenario is that I just use the site as advertising for when I'm looking for consulting work. I think I've made 10$ on Google Ads since I launched back in early December.

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

In your shoes I'd probably look to Amazon associates to make some money. Don't push it too hard and use your perceived authority to flog stuff. Every few months review something related or do a "5 Best Telescopes" or something in your topic and throw in Amazon affiliate links. Where relevant I'd have a couple for books as well, "Interested in Phantom Loads? Check out this amazing book by Dave Ghost at Amazon its a really good overview of the topic". Might bring in a few extra :10bux:

I originally launched the site with the idea of doing electronics tutorials for building various things with Amazon affiliate links as the parts list. Unfortunately, doing just one of those takes a ton of time. I actually have to do the project on my own while taking pictures then organize everything to make it coherent to the average reader. I also am not actually that good at electronics compared to the average electrical engineer since I spent my life more focused on power generation. Kind of makes it difficult.

I'm going to try to focus a lot more on affiliate-related stuff though. Sounds like you're confirming something I've been afraid of for a while.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Just set up a redirect from one to the other.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

In 2 months and 2k hits, I have had 0 people sign up for an email list.
I've heard of writing a free ebook and sending it to anyone that signs up. That seems like a poor use of time when right now I barely get 1 click out of the 120 (real people) likes that my Facebook page has. I imagine that an email campaign would be even less successful.

or am I totally wrong here? Not even my regular readers want to sign up for emails.

With regards to being too technical: I kind of have the same problem. At least 50% of my visitors are running adblocking software.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

On my site, I have an email subscription widget, sidebar ad that gets some use, top posts widget, recent comments, and another categories link that Ill probably delete.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

I use the Jetpack built in widget. That being said, I've had my blog open for a little over 2 months and never had anyone sign up for email updates.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

I use Outbrain set up for internal recommendations only. I see a good number of clicks on this.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

I have 45 articles so I have a decent amount of content.. not sure if it's time to go "full in" or not.

Has anyone tried advertising on SA before?

I was thinking about doing it but I'm worried I'll drop 30$ for no real gain.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Adsense + Amazon affiliate links embedded in articles that relate to the thing I'm linking to.
More traffic = more chance someone clicks on something, I'd hope.

What I meant by full-in was spending a bit of money (relative to how much I've made) to promote my site. After my initial social media spamming of everyone and everything I know, traffic has dropped off to about 10 views per day without me doing anything. When I was getting 50/day, I was actually getting occasional purchases/clicks.

I'm still writing articles at a steady pace but I'm not really seeing any significant traffic. It's worrying since I thought things would be better in month #3.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Omits-Bagels posted:

Try writing some articles that focus on stuff people buy. Maybe like buying guides or how to make things (and the parts you need to purchase). People spend a lot of money on tech hobbies so they to tap into that. In my opinion, advertising on SA might get you a few views but I doubt many sales (and I'm sure most people on SA have ad-blockers so they're not going to click on your display ads).

I took your advice and wrote this:
http://www.wirebiters.com/best-calculator-fe-exam/

Do I sound like a horrible corporate shill? It's definitely not my usual writing style since I'm much more of an academic than a salesman.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Google will update it every few days. You should only have to submit a site map after major changes.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

What's with the big grey box at the bottom?

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

https://www.wirebiters.com trip report, month 3.

I was really busy with classes, work, and other things so I only published a few times. I didn't pay for any advertising or anything so my expenses were very low. I did get some freelance work from someone else's blog to write a few articles. My end of month tally:

Google Adsense: $0.04
Amazon Affiliate: 0
Sponsored Posts: $17.16

Hosting costs: $4.25
Paid Advertising: 0

Net: +$12.95

This month I didn't spam twitter and facebook with old articles and my traffic really suffered. Last month I made 7$ from Google, and 8$ from Amazon.. but I also published about 6x as many articles and was spamming everyone regularly.

Right now I'm seeing about 5 visitors per day, usually from Google for a total of 318 hits this month. It seems like the overwhelming bulk of my traffic is from people clicking on my social media spam the day that I publish an article.

Any thoughts? Am I doing comparably well? Poor? Site feedback? Anything?

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

I like the first one a lot better.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

I wish I'd have come here before buying my theme. I dont want to feel like I just wasted 45$ by changing it though..

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Does this theme suck?
https://www.wirebiters.com
I kind of feel like I could make my site look a lot better.. but I'm hesitant to dump more money into something that barely pays for itself 6 months after launch.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

dhrusis posted:

I "promoted my page". I didn't buy them on fiverr or something. I was under the impression that paying facebook to put your page in front of people that you've targeted with specific keywords was legit. That's what I meant by that.

It's legit in that it is not against the TOS. You basically paid to have a thousand fake accounts Like your page. 7 minute mark on the video.

Clickfarms Like pages even when they're not being paid to Like them in order to get around Facebook's anti-clickfarm algorithms.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Just had a friend write an article for me about his grad school research. He's happy because it gets Google results for his name that link him to some research and I'm happy because it was free, extremely well sourced content.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

6 months in trip report:

~3k views, about 10 per day that I dont publish/social media blast, mostly from Google

53 published articles

Facebook likes: 125
Pinterest shares: 4
Twitter followers: 35

Earnings last month: 0.23$
Costs last month: 4.25$

Total Amazon sales: 13, for a total revenue of 10.38$
Total Google Adsense review: 23$

Net earnings to date: negative 40.23$

Seems crappy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Pierce and Pierce posted:

I'd add an email subscription list. They're tougher to get than social followers but they're also much much much more likely to get the person to come back to your site when you update. Facebook has made it extremely hard to reach followers without paying them, Tweets have such a short shelf life, and nobody's on Google+.

Even personal friends of mine that want to read all of my updates don't want to sign up for email updates. I have about 40 hits a day for 6 months and have never had anyone sign up for email updates.

In other news, I recently had someone that clicked an Amazon ad buy a high end digital camera. That combined with sponsored posts on other blogs made me hit the point where I've made more from my blog than I've spent. Hooray.

• Locked thread