Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Flaggy posted:

Yeah and I will most likely pick it up, I crave the old card game. I haven't played in years but you know, nostalgia and all. I also miss Battletech mini's.

I picked up L5R a year after it came out, and dang it was fun. It was the first CCG that was really optimized for multiplayer games.

I was looking through the recent cards just now, and... holy poo poo, it's practically a whole new game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Flaggy posted:

No one around here plays it, or if they do they aren't advertising. Plus it would be insanely expensive to get back into the game going by Ebay prices. Also, most people I talk to have never heard of L5R. I am close to Denver and I am sure there are 2 or 3 other people out there still playing but none of the comic/game stores even carry it anymore.

Don't they currently use a system that's kinda-sorta like MtG's Standard?

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Flaggy posted:

Genius. I wonder at this point in time could another CCG come along and knock magic out of first place?

A dude posted:

Absolutely not. It's an insane juggernaut.

I have to agree. Despite it's flaws, Magic is unbelievable huge and has its hooks into 99% of the world's nerds.

Plus, you know, there's that copyright thing.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

A dude posted:

Surely you mean patent thing.

Oops yeah, patent.

Elblanco posted:

I think what really gives magic a leg up on the rest of the CCGs out there is the Pro Tour, being able to win a huge cash prize is a big deal. I don't believe any other CCG actually offers cash prizes as major events, mostly because they also target kids. Cash prizes are a huge draw though, look at Magic's real competition, Hearthstone, and you see more cash prizes. Though Wizards and Blizzard both are own by HUGE corporations that can fund those crazy jackpots. I think FFG having the star wars license has potential, if they can convince Disney to dump a ton of cash towards Destiny, or one of their non CCG star wars games.

True, but how many Pro Tour contestants earn more purse each year than they spend in cards and travel? I'm guessing three, four tops.

The FFG Star Wars game looks pretty good. It will be interesting to see whether SW appeals to this generation to the extent that the original did to the previous.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

BJPaskoff posted:

Neither could World of Warcraft, and it had literal scratch-offs to literally scratch that gambling itch more than Magic. I think companies are perfectly happy capitalizing on how bad and un-intuitive Magic Online is by releasing online-only card games.

It's been a while since I was on, but personally I don't think MTGO was "un-intuitive". The main problem, IHMO, was the playerbase; it might as well have been called "Autism Online".

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Flaggy posted:

I tried to play MTGO once, I got halfway through the tutorial and didn't know what the gently caress was going on.

A dude posted:

Even pro players who have played magic for 20 years often can't make heads or tails of the MTGO UI.

Hmm, I never had any problems. Of course, I quit 5 years ago, before the Big Overhaul 2-3 years back.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Wayback posted:

Sounds a lot like the Illuminati card game but with more bells and whistles. Curious to see how it turns out.

I played the Illuminati CCG way back when. It was a great beer & pretzels game for a bunch of friends to play, but not so great as a strategy game.

This particular game looks sorta like a riff on Netrunner.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Railing Kill posted:

I don't understand who is buying Munchkin games. I see a dozen different versions at my LGS, and yet no one ever buys them. I never see them in people's game collections. No one ever brings them to meet-ups. I don't think I've seen anyone play a single game of Munchkin in almost ten years.

Munchkin is kind of a red-headed stepchild. It's full of jokes lampooning gaming in general and D&D in particular, so only gamers will get it. OTOH, it's not a deep strategy game so it doesn't appeal to grognards. The only real audience is for a D&D group who just smoked a doobie and cracked open a case of Rolling Rock, and want something light-hearted and easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

LongDarkNight posted:

Heard about this project over the weekend from a friend. Wanted to share it here for any nostalgic Star Wars players. Full disclosure I might end up in the background of a shot if this funds.

I didn't play, but I was around when SWCCG came out. Like the Star Trek game by the same company, it blatantly favored rich kids; cards like Darth Vader were insanely rare, and there was no reason at all to play Fred the Stormtrooper if you had Vader. I'm quite surprised that people are keeping it alive today.

• Locked thread