Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

ineptmule posted:

Nice one, cheers. The day we looked at flats we had a great lunch at the Crystal Palace Market, although it was a touch fussy for my tastes. Our first night in the flat we got a takeaway from Himalayan Kitchen in Penge which was really excellent.

Many years ago I worked on the cinematic masterpiece that is The Football Factory, and one line stuck in my head: the minge from Penge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Golden Union in Poland St is good for fish and chips. Great Queen St for modern British pub-style food. Cinnamon Soho is excellent mid-range Indian that differs from the usual Indian restaurant menu.

Oh! A classic standard is J Sheekey’s in Covent Garden; lovely excellent old-school fish restaurant.

therattle fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Mar 25, 2018

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

knox_harrington posted:

I went to Alain Ducasse last month, it was extremely expensive and to be honest I had better food at other places. Had a celebratory dinner at Marcus just recently which was probably the best.

Was that at the Berkeley? My wife and my birthdays and anniversary fall within 4 days of each other so our present is a good dinner; that was last year’s. It was excellent. This year is tenth anniversary so it’s Fera!

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Jeza posted:

I guess that'll teach me to not recommend places I haven't been personally, sorry about that. I'm still waiting for somebody to say Dishoom!

I’ll happily recommend Dishoom. It’s very good!

Koya Bar is still fantastic too. And we had an excellent lunch a few months ago at Copita on D’Arblay St.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Bollock Monkey posted:

I always direct people to Jai Krishna in Finsbury Park for excellent Indian food. But it might not be central enough if you're not here for long. EMake sure to get some Indian food though - it's such a big part of UK food culture. Dishoom is pretty good but hasn't blown my mind to the extent that others experience. I recommend doing a Google and finding somewhere that reviews well near wherever you are.

I live around the corner from Jai Krishna (well, around 3 corners to be precise) and I’ve never been that impressed with it. Some friends took me to a canteen-style place in Wembley a while ago that was amazing. I still remember the chilli paneer. Agree that Dishoom isn’t mind-blowing but it’s very good and the whole experience is well done.

Totally different cuisines but Traiteur just up the road from Jai K and Max’s Sandwich shop are both really excellent. For posh Indian my FIL took us to Jamavar in Mayfair which was excellent.

therattle fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Mar 25, 2018

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Diet Crack posted:

Ealing Balti House in West Ealing/Hanwell is amazing, it's a ways out of town though.

This is the London eating thread.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

BizarroAzrael posted:

I say it counts so long as you can use an Oyster card to get there.

That’s true but not funny.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

knox_harrington posted:

I miss having pappagone right on my doorstep. Also really like Trullo at H&I.

How’s the cleft arsehole going?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

The_Doctor posted:

Misato or Ichibuns virtually opposite eachother on Wardour street. If you do Ichibuns, try the amazing Japanese loo.

Tonkotsu on Dean is pretty good too.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Spuckuk posted:

Misato is cheap and massive portions, no complaints

I’d rather have good food and a smaller portion, thankyouverymuch. Quality over quantity. :smug:

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

If you want to get it looked at I can recommend a good doctor. He’s a good man, and thorough.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Hopper posted:

Somebody here recommended them to me 2 years ago when there was only 1 place. We went there and queued up for 15 mins. The ramen was amazing and I plan to go again when I go to London in June.

That said: Is there anything new (opened in last year) that's a must try in terms of streetfood/low key eating in London?

Has anyone of you ever eaten at the Indian YMCA? It came up as a "secret London thing to do" in some website but I am not sure it would hold up.

I ate at IYMCA a while ago. It’s cheap and decent, unpretentious and tasty but not amazing. Good value though.

On the other side of the spectrum we went to Fera for our combined birthdays and 10th anniversary. Very, very good. The food is innovative and quite challenging in some ways (unlike, say, Marcus Wareing at the Berkeley where everything is just delicious) but almost always to good effect. Service is as you’d expect.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I really want to go to Hawksmoor for Sunday lunch but my wife is vegetarian and she wouldn’t go and I don’t think she’d be delighted if i trotted off one Sunday and left her with my son most of the afternoon.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

The_Doctor posted:

Yeah, Dishoom definitely needs to sort out a reservations system for the evenings. That giant line just turns people away.

From their perspective, why do they need it if they are operating at full capacity all evening?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

The_Doctor posted:

But it's very user-unfriendly for the customer. It means you can never plan a trip there without having to add in potentially an hour's wait, so it's useless for a date or if you're planning on eating before going to do something else.

Oh, I agree: but it doesn’t affect their business. It’s your problem, not theirs.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

caberham posted:

Because they are actually under cap when they are being inefficient. They can easily have faster turn over time and earn more money when they change their crowd management methods

I’ve only been there once for dinner and I was really impressed; I thought they managed queuing and seating very efficiently. I think we even commented on it. Maybe it’s not as sharp anymore but I don’t know if a reservations system would solve that problem for them without creating others. I agree that it sucks from a customer perspective but I can see why they wouldn’t see the need for one.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

The_Doctor posted:

Here’s a different question... where to nap in central London?

I’m in town for the day, but I’ve been up a few hours already, and it’s only 9am and I’m already shattered. I’ve got a schedule for today with some gaps, and I’m plotting to grab a half hour here or there to power nap. But where?

That’s a really good question. When I worked in an office I’d lie down in the boardroom on the floor or sofa for 20 minutes. But where for a nap as a member of the public?
https://www.timeout.com/london/news/cruising-for-a-snoozing-here-are-3-places-to-take-a-power-nap-in-london-081418

Or hop on the circle line for a circuit

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Deformed Church posted:

Get on the circle line anticlockwise (via high street Kensington, not hammersmith) from Edgware road. Its the start of the line so you'll be able to get a seat and you can just nap until it brings you round again.

I suggested Circle line already!

How does a circle have a start?:viggo:

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
It definitely used to be a closed loop. I confess to not being enough of s tune geek to know if it’s still the case but defer to others’ greater knowledge.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Kalenden posted:

Sarcasm noted, I worded this very poorly and tried to improve it a bit. Apologies.

Hell, your English is excellent. You’re not the one who should be apologising.

I don’t know if it’s too much; only you can really decide that!

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Waci posted:

Their English wasn't the problem and they already edited out the bad part and apologised (like sane people do when they phrase something in an inadvertently offensive way), but I'm sorry questioning categorising cuisines as "ethnic" versus "pure" ones offends you?

Waci posted:

Their English wasn't the problem and they already edited out the bad part and apologised (like sane people do when they phrase something in an inadvertently offensive way), but I'm sorry questioning categorising cuisines as "ethnic" versus "pure" ones offends you?

Sheeeeit, I didn’t see that. Sorry!

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Xun posted:

Can anyone recommend some Asian places? Hoping to find something fun and communal like hotpot/korean bbq/japanese bbq. Doesn't even need to be Asian but I'm not really familiar with that style outside of East Asian ones.

These reviews stuck in my head
https://www.theguardian.com/food/20...re_iOSApp_Other

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2019/jan/27/olle-london-puts-diners-on-display-restaurant-review?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

The_Doctor posted:

God, Jay Rayner is a good writer.

Ain’t he though.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Artificial Idiocy posted:

I just went down a rabbit hole of reading Josephine's reviews out of curiosity, as it's been on my to-try list for a while, and it looks like the owner takes the time to answer every 1 star review with a wall of text of sputtering accusations and insults, so it may be worth visiting just for the entertainment.

That said, there's quite a lot around Fitzrovia. Salt Yard on Goodge St for tapas, Lima for Peruvian though I think a bit spendier and will need reservations at either of those two. Looks like a Vagabond wines has just opened on Charlotte St, which usually has good small plates and gimmicky but wide selection of wine dispensers you pay for with a pre loaded card.

Edit: the best fried chicken I've ever had was at Vagabond in Battersea, which was brined and cooked sous vide before flash frying, so incredibly tender and juicy inside and crispy outside. They don't have it any more.

That Vagabond has been around for years. It’s very nice. Salt Yard is great. Honey & Co is great but needs reservations. They’ve got a sister place; I’m sure same applies. You’re going to have trouble finding good and no reservation needed.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

The_Doctor posted:

To be fair though, portions are huge.

Not to Dave.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I’ve had a few lunches at Flat Iron. Pretty good. Good good, decent value.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Jeza posted:

Sometimes people in my office wanted to grab lunch at a local soup place. 'Nincomsoup' I think.

They did serve a lot of soups. Soup is only half a lunch though imo.

There was one at Old St. Still is for all I know.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Oh no!!! The Delaunay was always my treat for breakfast before a major exam or interview and zedel is such a fantastic spot in town.

Apparently it’s not due to losing money unsustainably but a clash between the operators/founders and a large shareholder.

https://www.propelinfonews.com/pi-Newsletter.php?datetime=2022-01-22%2012:00:00

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

The_Doctor posted:

I had dinner at Four Seasons in Chinatown, and it was amazing. Beef brisket on crispy noodles, one of my favourite dishes ever. :discourse:

That sounds and looks delicious

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

The_Doctor posted:

I had the sudden desire for pie and mash today, so I might have to look up places soon. I remember Manze in Bermondsey being good, and the one at the top end of the Portobello being alright.

Talk about delayed gratification.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Fists Up posted:

Speaking of laksa does anyone have any other good recommendations? I've been craving this since moving to London and haven't really found many spots.

I just made some. Thai red curry paste, curry powder, coconut milk, lemongrass, garlic, ginger and the veg and protein of your choice. Really easy, really good!

There's a place in Chinatown that is known for it, just off Wardour. C&R cafe, maybe?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Lady Gaza posted:

I’ve got an unexpected evening to myself tomorrow after a platelet donation near Oxford Circus, before I need to catch the train back to deepest darkest Kent.

Any recommendations around the west end or London Bridge area for places that:

-serve food reasonably quick
-are not too fancy
-are OK for a solo diner
-don’t require bookings
-aren’t Italian

?

Maybe £30-40 max total is what I wouldn’t mind spending. I was thinking of somewhere like Coco Ichibanya, that’s been on my list for a while. I also thought Shoryu but have been there a few times.

Koya
Blacklock
Both might be busy but could probably fit a solo diner in. The problem is that the good places get full.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
They’re not the best bagels in town, but Happening Bagel Bakery on 7 Sisters Rd is certainly the closest. On Monday mornings we get onion bagels there for breakfast on the way home from school drop-off (used to be sesame but we switched).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Whoever manages Dishoom is bloody good at their job(s)