Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

The_Doctor posted:

Firstly, it's called black pudding here. Secondly, hit up any cafe with a breakfast menu. Pubs aren't usually so good on breakfast (or indeed open for it).

To be fair, a lot of greasy spoons in London don't do black pudding either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Artificial Idiocy posted:

I went to Lemonia in Primrose Hill last weekend. I had heard a lot of hype about it, and we have a family friend who has known the owner for years, so it was a nice experience. Everything tasted good, the dolmades were some of the best I've ever had, and my lamb kleftiko was tender and delicious.

I was told beforehand it is not haute cuisine; it is simple traditional fare, but done right. Which, I have to admit, it is. But the prices are outrageous for the type of food it is. You pay around £15 for just your meat main with no sides - it's £3-6 per side dish, which are also plain things like roast potatoes with minimal seasoning.

I guess they can get away with their prices because the place is always full, but coming from Canada originally all I could think was that those price tags would be found on well-aged filet mignon dinners at upscale steak houses.

Basically, you hosed up. If you go to Lemonia, you order the Mezze for every hungry person on the table. They then bring you a truly ridiculous amount of food, like close to 20 dishes worth.

It's better value than most of the restaurants in London, and absolutely in Primrose Hill.

Spuckuk fucked around with this message at 17:00 on May 23, 2014

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

xcdude24 posted:

-Speaking of Mexican, is there anywhere that sells Mexican groceries? Particularly looking for Valentina hot sauce, canned chipotle peppers, and a decent selection of dried chiles, although that might be a bit of a stretch.

Picante near Victoria has a small but good selection, including two types of Valentina in big and small sizes, and some dried chillis and ccanned chipotles.

They also do for my money the best Burrito in London too, one of the few places you can get a heart stopping Breakfast Burrito.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

ineptmule posted:

Alas, Picante near Victoria closed :(

I work around the corner and witnessed their 'Goodbye' post on Facebook.

They do still have their branch in Blackfriars open though.

I leave the city for six months and everything goes to hell :(

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

The_Doctor posted:

Got an offer come through this morning for Sticky Fingers, Bill Wyman's place. Is it any cop?

Imagine if Hard Rock Cafe served actually good food, it's a bit like that.

Not the best burgers in town, but far from bad. The 1-lber sticky stack burger is worth a go if you're as greedy as me.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Just get the other one, Flying goose? It's at least as good and you can get it big supermarkets or chinatown no probs

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

tentish klown posted:

These also exist at night time - check out http://www.streetfeastlondon.com/ for Street Feast, Model Market and Riverside Feast.

Go here and eat all of the brownies from Batch Bakery. They are awesome and the ladies that run it are ace.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

therattle posted:

True, true, but the restaurant is nice.

The only Italian places in central London i could think of are either expensive or crap.

Polpo in Covent Garden, get there early and have a cocktail.

How has nobody recommended this already.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

therattle posted:

Rosa's Thai Cafe and Cay Tre (Vietnamese) on Dean St are pretty good, as is Chiang Mai Thai (I think that's the name) on Frith next to the excellent Koya (Japanese).

Seconding Cay Tre and Koya, boh are great.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Going back to London after a few years away, just for a weekend. Will be me and a few carnivorous friends in and around Camden, any recommendations?

Hache is definitely on the list, unless they suddenly became crap, but beyond that I'm a wee bit lost.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

The_Doctor posted:

Inverness Street, which Hache is on has a bunch of good restaurants, there's Ma Petite Jamaica (Caribbean), Made in Brasil (Brazilian), Bar Gansa (tapas), Bayou, a surprisingly decent Cajun/Creole place (and as someone who lived in Louisiana, that's praise), Zen Sai, a pan-asian bar/restaurant...

Thanks for this!

pointsofdata posted:

It feels like there is a wahaca on every street now, they are everywhere

Hell, they opened one up here in Liverpool a few months back.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Kaiho posted:

You're much better off going to one of the Meat* group places for a burger. Seriously.

Yeah but I was looking for recommendations IN Camden.

FWIW ended up going to Made in Brasil and was really pleasantly surprised by how good it was!

Although I'm glad I'm back up north now, as the price of beer in London is even more brutal than I remembered.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Funnily the food prices arent much different Liverpool to London. Though the portion sizes up here tend towards the Hyoooj

Spuckuk fucked around with this message at 16:29 on May 6, 2016

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Artificial Idiocy posted:

I feel this - I live in London but I was in Manchester on a work trip a couple months ago, and got a pint each for me and my co-worker - when they told me the price, I thought it was for just 1 (under £5 for both).

That, but three pints when I'd just moved up here. Was genuinely confused, thought I'd done a Life on Mars.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Lemon-Lime posted:

I think having Bodean's for lunch on a regular basis might actually kill you, though. :v:

(Or at the very least, your trousers.)

You'd die happy though.

You should be near a bunch of great vietnamese places near old street.

Pho is the one thing I can't get made well opp here in t'North

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

sharktamer posted:

So the proms are on again, I'll be spending a lot of time around the royal albert hall and kensington in the next few months. Anyone got any good reccs for food around the area? Best looking places I got starred around there are the Churchill arms, Britannia and A Wong but I've never actually been to any of them, anyone been and liked them? There's flat three too but it looks like tiny little babby meals, not dinner.

Any good gelato places for after too? :)

I used to work around there, and the Churchill Arms was excellent, both for the food and just being a great pub in general.

This was a good three years ago mind.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Lemon-Lime posted:

Make sure you book, though, unless you want to be stuck queuing shoulder to shoulder for two hours.

Lahore Kebab House isn't far from Tayyabs, just as good (ex chef from Tayyabs), and far less hassle with queues. Next time I'm in London I'll be eating my own bodyweight in their lamb chops.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Bollock Monkey posted:

Ideas for an affordable (cheaper than, say, Rotorino or Bocca) but special-feeling Mediterranean place? Anniversary time is coming up but it's been an expensive year so we can't justify a splurge. Preferably North/Central/slightly East. Bonus points for affordable cocktails.

e: I say Mediterranean as a deliberately broad category as we usually end up doing some sort of Asian cuisine and fancy something else. Probably not Turkish though as we're in Harringay so have that a lot as well.

I'd say have a peak at photos to see if it's your kind of thing, but for Greek food Lemonia on primrose hill is very affordable, nice venue, and the friendliest waitstaff you'll ever meet.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Anae posted:

It got an absolute rinsing in the Independent a couple of years ago. Should I pay that no heed?

It got an absolutely blinding review from Jay Rayner a few years ago as well. https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2008/jul/04/jayraynerreviewslemonia which gels with the last time I ate there, two years back.

From personal experience it's fantastic, though I'd go and have a peek to see what you think before booking, as it can have a lot of families there, which might put you off, depending.

edit: Read the independent review, it's terribly written, and no idea how they ended up with a bill that big, you just order the mixed mezze for however many people you have and loads of wine, then die from too much food.

Spuckuk fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Oct 7, 2016

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Lunch at dinner. £35 a head at one of the top 10 in the world

Dinner by Heston Blumenthal, I guess you mean?

Can heartily recommend, it's probably the best meal I've ever had.

You might need to book a ways in advance though.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Yes. I've been 3 times for lunch since it opened and I've always been able to get a midweek table even with fairly short (<week) notice but maybe I've been lucky.

I went a few years back when it was just opening, which probably explains the booking!

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Does anyone know it Atari-Ya (formerly Sushi Hiro) in west London is still open? That was easily the best sushi I've had anywhere in the UK.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

BizarroAzrael posted:

Getting poo poo from colleagues for opting out of a bi-weekly lunch trip to Wasabi and saying that there's good Japanese food in Soho.

Misato is my recommendation by the way.

Misato is infinitely better, the portions are massssssive, and they sell beer. That should convince em.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

The_Doctor posted:

Anywhere along the Pho Mile on Kingsland St (Shoreditch) is going to be good. Miên Tây and Loong Kee I've both enjoyed.

LTTP but Song Que was always my favourite along that road.

Rude staff, always packed, sign of greatness.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Seriously, how did you roll over on that, that's absurd.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

reality_groove posted:

Beavertown has announced it's closing down Duke's Brew and Que in Haggerston, one of the only good BBQ places in London.

RIP best burnt ends and mac & cheese

Beavertown owned that?

RIP best BBQ in London

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

peanut- posted:

That place is okay, the pork dishes are good but the beef was not great at all when i went. As far as "best in London" goes it still wasn't close to Pitt Cue I don't think. It's odd how BBQ has become so ubiquitous yet so terrible almost everywhere.

Really enjoyed Jidori on Kingsland Road last weekend, though I was quite drunk. Great yakitori - the minced chicken and egg yolk, and chicken hearts & bacon particularly. Pretty reasonable too, £3.50-4 for two skewers with a decent amount of meat on.

Yknow, you're absolutely right, I was getting Dukes and Pitt Cue mixed up.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

ineptmule posted:

Misato suuuuucks.

Kanada-Ya in St Giles or on Panton Street.

I also like Tonkotsu although their portions have got stingy since they first opened.

Misato is cheap and massive portions, no complaints

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Saros posted:

Thursday/Friday have decent odds to be the hottest single days across the south-east - ever. So ya you came at an interesting time.

As for food I don't know much around there but there is a weird pub called the Churchill arms filled with insane memorabilia and an attached Thai restaurant which is pretty decent and cheap if relatively basic.

Assuming its not changed too much in the last 5-6 years, Churchill Arms is a cracking little place.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Okay what's the best burrito in London since I'm here for the weekend and have a powerful urge.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

tarbrush posted:

Ehhh. London's not great for Mexican/tex mex, unless someone wants to correct me.

Please someone correct me

I'm aware I live in the UK,but I'm still craving. There was an amazing place near Victoria that was at least as good as the ones I had in the mission District, sadly closed a few years back.

Help

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Ended up going to Homies in the tiny wood Street market and getting a sack of conchita pibil tacos, definitely recommend if you're up this way

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

The_Doctor posted:

Oh poo poo, Taco Bells in London, just as I move to Berlin? :argh:

We have Taco Bell in Liverpool, even. It's still as bad as I remember from the US, and doesn't even av the decency to be dirt cheap here.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Do you have Jujubee darn sarf yet?

They opened up in Liverpool about a day before lockdown hapenned and as fast food places go, makes a nice change from MAccies/KFC/the usual cheap stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Wheres the go to Vietnamese place in Shoreditch these days? Not lived in London for ten years but the office I work remotely for is in the area and I go down once or twice a year.

It was definitely Song Que before, but been a while.

Actually any general recommends, especially lunch spots would be welcome.