Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Hi thread,

So my dad is taking me and my sister out for a posh dinner as a Christmas present.

We're looking for something pretty upmarket (my sister is in this for wearing a posh frock as much as the food) that does a good tasting menu in London or Oxford, preferably fairly classical European. As suggestions for "you must go here" or "don't go here"?

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
Cool, thanks guys! The Ledbury is very probably the absolute upper limit as far as price goes, but hey, I'm not paying :)

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
Suprise birthday dinner at the Hawksmoor tonight :feelsgood:

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
Anyone recommend a decent first date type restaurant, preferably Italian in London? Hilariously vague I know. I guess on the cheaper end of London prices.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Where in London?

Well, we're coming at it from either side, so pretty much "in the middle-ish". Preferably not too far from public transport.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
Cool, thanks for the help, shame about the Italians. In that case, any other date type favourites you guys have in the area?

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

I'm horribly spoilt having a restaurant and a butchers/cookshop in the family so haven't been elsewhere a huge amount recently. Was the italian suggestion because she likes it or because you just want a slightly romantic place to go?

The former. That said, love of all things food is a significant shared interest, so really anywhere good is good.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
Thanks for the help everyone :)

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
Most half decent butchers will do haggis these days. Hell, I'm pretty sure I've seen some in supermarkets, though I don't think I'd eat a supermarket one.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

sweek0 posted:

Hawksmoor in Spitalfields (their full fat old fashionends are amazing)

Yeah, I love these

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
Can anyone recommend a decent brunch spot? Coming in from Waterloo and heading towards museums tbc, so not too fussed about area. On my phone, so struggling to pick brunch off the map.

Cheers

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

sweat poteto posted:

Heading North to British Museum or out West to V&A, Natural History, Science etc? There's a Fernandez & Wells near both.

Yes! Lovely, thanks

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
Short notice, can anyone recommend somewhere first date-y round London Bridge please? Coffee or wine bar or similar. Preferably not too pricey as we're both NHS types. I saw Monmouth coffee in the OP, but other options gratefully considered.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
Nvm, have redirected to soho

tarbrush fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Jun 11, 2016

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
If we're going Michelin, the Square is amazing.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
Anyone recommend a decent spot for a blind date near Waterloo-ish? Thinking coffee... The map in the OP doesn't have anywhere particularly close.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

Brand New Malaysian Wife posted:

Scooter Cafe near Waterloo is cute and laid back. Also has cats!

Sold! Thanks :)

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
HI everyone,

What're the go-to recommendations for a blowout place to go at the moment? The Ledbury comes highly recommended, what else is there? Doesn't have to be European, but a tasting menu is a must.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

Nephzinho posted:

The Clove Club tasting menu really was outstanding. You can get some of the standouts on the bar menu though, like the pine fried chicken.

Ooh. That sounds lovely. Thanks for the recommendations everyone!

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

Jeza posted:

I realise this guy has probably gone ahead and had a great time somewhere, but if anybody else is wondering the same thing, the best tasting menu I've had anywhere in London, possibly anywhere, is Vineet Bhatia London - formerly Rasoi. Basically flawless, a total breath of fresh air from the general Modern/French proliferation. It was amazing from start to finish. My only complaint was that the service was overly attentive for my tastes (possibly me being oversensitive and British). As in, they will try and put your napkin on your lap for you. Uh, no thanks good chap.

We're off to Umu on the recommendation of a friend of my dad, but I will definitely add that to the list, thanks!

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

Artificial Idiocy posted:

Any recommendations for a good place for craft beer near Brixton area for a first date this Thursday? Want to stay south due to the looming threat of tube strike plus London cocktail week.

I really enjoyed the boxpark - good first date food too

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

Artificial Idiocy posted:

When you guys say box park do you mean Pop Brixton? I do like that place and the weather shouldn't be too bad Thursday.

Yeah

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
Had a rather lovely bowl of pho in Banh Banh in Peckham Rye last week. Not life changing or anything, but bloody tasty for £8.

Also did Cafe On in Clapham, was as good as all the reviews say. Only downside was they had “cash only” on the board, so I didn’t order too much, but then they took cards. I wish I’d ordered more :(

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
I liked Cafe On in Clapham and it's had a bunch of nice reviews, though not sure how recent.

Can't remember if they do soup dumplings but their menu is online.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
drat, I'm away for the 28th. You can get to quite a lot of the coast in ~1hr which is maybe your best bet for good seafood, and is also super English.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
What's wrong with Osaka?

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
The Frankfurt of Japan is very descriptive, thanks.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
Bear in mind also how much restauranteurs getal screwed by no shows at the moment. It prevents that problem completely

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
I really like the chicken potstickers from the Japanese stall, slathered in soy and chilli oil.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

Spuckuk posted:

Okay what's the best burrito in London since I'm here for the weekend and have a powerful urge.

Ehhh. London's not great for Mexican/tex mex, unless someone wants to correct me.

Please someone correct me

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
There is Santo Remedio on Tooley Street, but it's very much modern Mexican and sit down stuff rather than burritos

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
My office is going to Simply Indian near Borough Station, which is apparently tiny (~25 seats) and byob with no corkage. They liked it enough to go back after last year, and it does a bunch of less seen South Indian stuff.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
Went to Tayyabs last night. Was ace.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
I need to try Mr Bao, I walk past it so often

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

El Grillo posted:

I love this little Bao cafe in Soho:
Bun House
24 Greek St, Soho, London W1D 4DZ
020 8017 9888
https://maps.google.com/?cid=16839359974626443726

Perfect for the end of a night out, chill out with a beer and loving delicious bao and watch the humans meander past.

Greek Street is lowkey one of my favourite streets in London, the Japanese knife shop has a great sharpening service, there's a top notch whisky bar/shop, and amazing wierd and retro clothes shop, and now the Bao place.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

Mammalian posted:

I've wanted to get my Hiromoto Gyuto sharpened for a while now, but the idea of carrying my giant knife around the streets of London and saying "boss I'm getting it sharpened init" perturbs me

I wrapped mine in a towel and shoved it in a backpack. Probably not as nice as yours...

Also it's Soho, they're used to weirdos.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
I really want to try Ikoyi, and all the reviews I've read of it have been great.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
Less where to eat, more where to drink. My friends and I are celebrating handing in our masters theses on Friday, and looking to get casual food and then drink. Preferably not too pricey. Looking vaguely central/south of the river, given where we're all coming from. Suggestions? Mercato Metropolitano and Peckham Levels were considered, but we've done them on previous occasions.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

BizarroAzrael posted:

Given your dismissed options, one of the BoxParks?

Ah, good call.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
Also good, thanks!