Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009

FighterKnuckles posted:

I really like Zero and Amaterasu, but I need a decent anchor. Oh, I also really enjoy playing Strider, but I know he'd be a pretty crappy anchor (plus, having 3 characters with such little health CANNOT be a good thing.)

Strider is one of the best anchors in the game actually because of XF3 Oroborous. I can't say anything about the team synergy of Zero/Dog/Strider though.

EDIT: Is there any possible team synergy between v.Joe/Ammy/Rocket in whatever orders? I want to create a hard to hit team for shits and giggles but it would be cool if it could be even kinda effective.

Ixiggle fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Nov 27, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009
I realized that I really like using characters in fighting games with heavily loop-based BnBs. The only character I've felt really comfortable with is Doom, but I'm going to give Zero a shot as well to see if the theory holds up. Are there any other characters that have similar combos? For whatever reason, loops make much more sense to me and I pick them up faster even if the loop itself requires more execution than a standard BnB.

e:vvvvvv Looking through the bible and seeing your example it looks like I was wrong about Zero's combos. :( Also wanted to clarify that my earlier comments didn't mean to imply that Doom's loops are difficult, but that I've played characters like Sakura in SF4 with some higher execution loops despite my overall poor execution.

Ixiggle fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Jan 1, 2012

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009

Fonzarelli posted:

What should i use for like, airdash cancelling normals with doom? Two buttons or double tapping directions? I've never done anything like this before, my characters have always been just chaining and stuff.

I've always found using two attacks to be more intuitive. It may help to think of the dash as if it were a chain attack that doesn't do damage.

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009

The Rokstar posted:

The corner loop is quite a bit easier, actually. On the corner loop, the key is just keeping everything quick and solid. If you only do one M in the air, you can do 4 reps before a TK plasma beam xx air finger lasers. If you're wanting to do sphere flame or level 3 though you're right, they're going to tech out after the OTG on the 4th rep so you have to end it at 3. I've found it actually doesn't matter if the H OTG hits once or twice, in fact letting it hit twice increases the damage and meter gain.
You can do 4 reps of the corner loop into level 3 if you let the s.H hit twice and activate right after the second hit. Also I think s.M f.H might be a faster relaunch if you feel you won't make it in time for the s.H.

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009
Anyone able to give some advice for Iron Fist? I'm currently running Wolverine (Barrage)/Iron Fist (Dragon Fang)/Doom (Missiles), and I just have the worst time opening people up with IF. I know that his design is a large part of this, and I try to follow some of the advice I picked up but it never seems to work in practice. Trying to apply some pressure just gets me pushblocked, so what usually happens is I do MHf.H (get pushblocked) xx Rekka, which whiffs and get I punished. If I try to make things safer by canceling it into a Chi for the armor, its still too slow and they just hit me twice while I'm recovering and I eat a full combo anyway.

Two other related questions with IF: is there any good followup to his overhead aside from finishing the rekkas into super? And does his qcf M, s.H c.H f.H j.HS combo segment not work on some characters? I played a guy with a Joe/Firebrand/Arthur team and they seemed like they were teching out of if right as I jumped. Its possible though I wasn't paying attention and missed the f.H though.

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009

TheTofuShop posted:

The F+H is able to be jump canceled and followed up with j.L (or any air normal really), which is what you need to do to keep your pressure up, and deal with pushblocking a little better. I'd actually rather use Doom with Rocks or Plasma Beam for IF though, since those assists should help IF cover the horizontal space a bit better. Try to call your assist as you get in, if the assist hits you cant be pushblocked and you can jump cancel the F+H into a j.L or j.H to keep up pressure or force your opponent to block high. If you can get them to constantly block high, then you can start cancelling into QCB+L rekka to get a low mixup instead of jump cancelling the F+H.

No idea on if that string doesn't work on some characters, but with Arthur/Joe/Firebrand's smaller size, it wouldn't surprise me if the string was a bit tighter.

Wanted to follow up on this from last page. First thanks for the advice! I went back to training mode and tested a few things. The c.H in that combo string will wiff on smaller characters unless they're in the corner, but the combo works by just dropping either the H or c.H and chaining it to f.H (smaller characters still tend not to get hit by the typical followup QCB L QCF L QCF H, I should try and find a more universal rekka followup). Thanks for the tip with the jump canceling too, feels way better moving around now.

I had Doom with Missles to help cover IF's weak air game, but I tried Plasma Beam instead and I think the whole team works better for it. Its much easier for me to combo off of a plasma beam for Wolverine and the amount of screen it covers lets IF wavedash or jump to recover much better. Also much harder to punish the assist. I'm bad at keeping assists safe and my Doom usually comes in with 50% health. Still trying to figure out how to convert beam hits into a combo for IF though. Grounded launcher is annoying.

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009

TheTofuShop posted:

Off of a beam hit you can do ground normals into a rekka string ending in QCF+H, then wavedash forward and otg wit QCB+M xx QCB+L xx QCF+H xx QCF+PP, as long as you have the wallbounce still, you can even combo after Iron Rage by catching them with cr.H B+H xx DP+PP for more damage. It's not the most efficient string, it will work in the corner but at some midscreen distances it is harder to connect with.
Yeah, I eventually figured I'd need to do something like that. The hard part is not pounding out my rekkas like an idiot :downs:

Chocolate America posted:

I can do the corner loop relatively consistently, even ending with some cool finishers like Sphere Flame XF Sphere Flame, and if I have 3 bars I can actually do almost 1mil with The Chair.
A full corner loop starting with c.LMHS into lvl 3 should easily break 1 mil and is probably closer to 1.1 mil. You might be able to squeeze another rep out of it or change up something to get a bit more damage.

I still mess up Buktooth on occasion, so whenever I see them too high up for a c.M or c.H, I just relaunch them immediately with a f.H. If you have to do that you probably won't be able to recover the loop entirely, but it will at least set you up to finish with another air section into super.

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009

Nate405 posted:

Is this actually worth learning as a replacement for Doom's typical corner combo or is there some reason why it is not practical? I've never seen it in a real match.

It does about 70-80K more damage than his traditional loop and looks way harder to do. While adding that damage would let him kill a lot more characters fresh, its probably way safer to do the easy as hell current corner loop and go for a reset/chip/lvl 3 (which compared to ending his current loop with lvl 3, the new loop would only kill Nemesis, She-Hulk, Hulk, Haggar, and Tron, which Doom should have no trouble hitting with a single plasma beam sometime before or after he hits the loop) afterwards.

If you trust your execution there's basically no reason not to use it though, unless it ends up being character specific.

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009

King Dead posted:

I just bought this game on a whim for ps3 and uh.. how much time am I supposed to spend in training mode before I can play online? I figured an hour would be enough and after losing my first 7 matches in a row I'm guessing not.

This also might have to do with the fact that the last fighting game I played was Soul Calibur 2.

There's not really a right answer, its just about how comfotable you are with your combos and your characters. Even if you learn your combos they're not worth poo poo if you can't land a hit, and opening people up and moving around the screen to land the hit are huge parts of the game. Learn how your characters apply pressure, what their movement options are and how to use them offensively (especially for airdash characters, learning box and tri jump mixups), how to get people off of you, ect.

It takes a while to get used to the feel of how the game should be played. And online you'll need to keep in mind that a lot of people have been playing for much longer and you're working at a bit of a disadvantage. That said once you start applying yourself and learning the game and focus on improving you'll be stomping online dudes in no time.

Also requisite comment that online in the game is mediocre, the players online are usually bad, and its not comparable to playing real people both in terms of getting better and having fun.

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009

Fenn the Fool! posted:

Is the double TAC a guaranteed deal or can you counter it in some way?

You have to predict they'll double TAC, so you don't try to counter the first one they do. After they do the first TAC, then you can guess correctly to break it like a normal TAC. You can't do two "guesses" within a cetain amount of frames, so you have to wait if you think they're going to double-TAC. I'm fairly sure thats how it's explained, anyway.

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009

Shiki Dan posted:

If you NEED an assist in order to murk whole teams (Viper w/ lockdown assist like Ammy; Morrigan w/ Doom or Strider), then you ain't Top 5 in my book.

Marvel is a team game this distinction is worthless. Every character gets better with assists and some assists make poo poo completely unfair (take Zero, who is already bullshit, and give him Jam Session and he is now KING OF BULLSHIT MOUNTAIN). Especially now that a lot of people are seeing the meta in terms of two man shells rather than individual characters. Morridoom, Ammydoom, and ___ May Cry are far, far more threatening and more practical to discuss than the characters individually.

Like was said above talking about single characters gets tricky because you can classify characters in different ways and get pretty different tier lists.

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009

Minorities posted:

Are you trying to say Sentinel is bad? If not then never mind.

If you are then seriously that poo poo needs to stop. Infrit got 2nd place at EVO and tons of his wins were clutch comebacks with Sentinel. IIRC DiosX and Knives also have excellent Sentinels and make comebacks with him all the time.

Is he top tier? Not at all. Is the "Wackbot" name deserved? Not at all.

I'd somewhat agree. Sentinel on paper is not that good, which is why people put him down so much. But he has so many things that can win games and is extremely good at loving people up for making mistakes. Hard Drive means he always as a chance at a comeback by avoiding inc mixups, people love to run into his massive (armored!) limbs, has a command grab he can do good damage off of, and when he lands a hit he's more than capable of killing a character. People like to underestimate sent and they get hosed up for it. Anyone that plays smart should be able to destroy Sent but every time I've seen it go "man sent sucks I'm going in *gets hit by raw S and dies*"

The better the players the worse Sent gets but even the best people will run into armor.

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009

infinite99 posted:

Just kinda building on this, but is there any specific timing on the cr.H after judgement cut? seems like the timing is pretty tight and it either doesn't come out or it does but I screw up the spiral sword motion. I figured the cr.H is the only factor for lunar phase not completely hitting after activating swords and I don't get the ground bounce to continue the combo.

You should always get the ground bounce from lunar phase unless you've used up the ground bounce in the combo already. Important note that Vergil's HSH causes groundbounce, so if you're doing the variation that goes HSH release round trip then followup you've already used it up. If you mean activating spiral swords then doing lunar phase and the opponent drops out, it shouldn't cause ground bounce at all while swords are still active and they might be at the wrong height/spacing to land lunar phase properly for followup. I know sometimes I'll accidentally get dash before the lunar phase input and I crossunder.

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009

NecroMonster posted:

I don't really feel like "always kill your opponents first character if you so much as touch them" is healthy for the game.

Are you posting from 2011 or something because this hasn't been the major issue with xfactor since vanilla. You'll still see it of course but its more rare and generally used when it should: when your opponent's best char is on point and you need to get rid of them asap, like Morrigan or Zero, and you couldn't with just meter alone. The top tier chars can already touch of death without xfactor, some of them even from throws. Lvl 3 X-factor invalidating the first half of the game while Vergil tears through an entire team with absurd speed and damage is doing way more damage to the overall health of the game then spending extra resources to ensure the first char dies.

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009

Omnikin posted:

Would setting damage to low do anything to help the game out? Would it become more reset oriented or is meter gain so high that you would just do long rear end combos ending with level 3's for 60% (I have no idea what low dmg settings are like) health because you earn so much meter?

It would make the games take longer and all the characters that are good would still be good. A lot of chars in the game can kill with one touch, but they have to work so much harder with weaker tools than the top dogs and that wouldn't change anything with low damage. It would probably make them better even since you'd need more hits and its way easier to hit a dude with spiral swords than with anything iron fist can do.

Marvel is just bad guys you can't save it and it never will be saved if you don't like it just play something else. Like...Marvel 2......

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009

Elephant Ambush posted:

I don't get it. What's going on here?

I thought about this when Bebo first showed how to save edit for the same character, but Galactus is listed somewhere in the character hex values so you can put him on a team now too. And use him online.

Also there's Heroes and Heralds skin Haggar there so those are available through save edit as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009

Excels posted:

How do you put SF into Tekken without removing most of the projectile attacks?

Looks like they're trying to figure that out and have tossed some ideas about. The f2p tekken has invincible attacks and the new character also has several projectile attacks that seem fairly practical for combos and basic zoning.

• Locked thread