Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

violence is who I am, loser

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

More Vergil combos for the Vergil combos gods: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hINFQ1r41JA

These combos are really flashy, though. A lot of them involving comboing into Spiral Swords and then into the formation change. Vergil looks like tons of fun.

I was assuming that the recovery animation on Maximum Vergil where he sheathes the sword again was cancellable but the uploader implies in the comments that it's not, doesn't that make the move unsafe on hit if you use it while you're close in? I must be missing something here because that'd make the move terrible and nobody else has commented on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

Broken Loose posted:

Anything but that.

If it makes you feel any better we could try calling it "Shut up Broken Loose", unfortunately I think Maximum Vergil is more likely to stick

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

Niddhogg posted:

I've seen it hit and end with the enemy right under vergil's feet and it's still safe. I don't know where you could get the idea that it's unsafe on hit.

Just eyeballing it occasionally like at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hINFQ1r41JA#t=1m48s Dante is up off the ground a few frames before Vergil is back to neutral. Sometimes there's a little more time in there where Vergil looks vulnerable and sometimes it's obviously safe (like the midscreen against She-Hulk later in the same video). If the recovery is cancellable before the full animation finishes it must always be safe which would make sense, I just haven't found a video with Vergil doing that and there was this comment from the uploader:

quote:

Recovery on it is INSANELY long. Can OTG after super if they are juggled high enough though. but if they did float low enough, they can retaliate.

Easy enough to test for anyone who has a copy of the game. I don't know poo poo and I can't test it until Tuesday, just asking questions and hoping someone knows more than I do.

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

Maximum Broken Loose: drink with Frank, wait ten seconds

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

PonchAxis posted:

Dude even S-kill says Maximum Wesker when he would commentate streams.

From Seth Killian's first preview of Vergil https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rqjOb8owxQ#t=2m14s

Keep up the good fight though Broken Loose!!

E: specifically the fight against autism

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

flatluigi posted:

It's alright, there's basically only one good character in it anyway.

I choose to interpret this as "clever" instead of "wrong"

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

S-Alpha posted:

It might have something to do with the fact that you're using j.L and not j.M. j.L just causes whiffs and dropped combos. You need the bigger hitboxes on those moves to get it working properly.

I put a solid hour into practicing this Vergil combo (against Dante if it matters) last night and I had a higher success rate connecting j.L after the Trick->superjump, plenty of my j.Ms didn't combo or hit too high for the chain to continue. j.M was way more consistent once I remembered I'd toggled game mode off on my Evo monitor but I went back to j.L anyway, you lose 7k damage but the link is ~2 frames looser and with five hours into this game I'm alright with that tradeoff.

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

Baba Yaga Fanboy posted:

Interesting amount of James Chen/Ultradavid hate. I've always enjoyed their commenting, so I'm curious as to what you guys don't like about them.

Also Skisonic is totally S tier. So are Chen and Ultradavid in my book. :colbert:

Chen is better than Ultradavid because he has the advantage of living with Justin Wong but aside from that they're pretty dull during downtime, not particularly insightful during matches and their voices are monotonous. Like other people have said either of them is much much better when paired with a different commentator because they have similar weaknesses on the mic.

I'm surprised there are people who don't agree that Seth Killian is the best on the mic hands-down, he's a really smooth talker, knows both the players and the games and can still get as hype as anybody. It's a shame Capcom doesn't ship him out to more tournaments to let him commentate top 8s, I think he's at least as good for Capcom FGs are Day[9] et al are for SC2.

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

Chocolate America posted:

Words mean things. The word "lame" already has a definition. That's all I'm saying here. I'll drop it after this post.

The word "lame" has a negative connotation here and that almost certainly comes from the outdated idea that people are "dishonorable" for playing this way. I think pretty much everyone ITT agrees on the philosophy of Play To Win so taking advantage of a life lead and making your opponent come to you and minimizing risk should not be described in a negative way if it results in a win.

Lame/cheap/etc. aren't just about describing the style of play, FGC uses them sarcastically now to separate itself from and insult players outside the community who began using the terms unironically. People aren't saying the play is literally cheap, they're saying other people who don't get FGs would call it cheap but gently caress those people keep doing it.

Anyway I think you're a little off but I don't think the discussion is dumb!

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

InnercityGriot posted:

Iron Fist assist wallbounce rules, but Iron Fist is a pretty hard character to use, so I'd stay away from him if I were starting out.

IF's difficulty getting in on good keepaway characters is balanced out by his ability to confirm into insane damage for next to no work, I don't think we're in any danger of seeing twelve IFs in a top 16 but he has the hallmarks of an XBL hero.

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

SpaceBees posted:

They should buff the bad characters instead of making the good ones worse!

This is only true if the top characters have varied and interesting strategies, don't take this analogy too seriously but nobody would ever balance ST by bringing every character up to Akuma's level.

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

If you're trying to break into Marvel for the first time you might be best off copying a top player's team/style for a while before trying to strike out on your own. There's nothing wrong with theorycrafting but I think you'll get to where you want to be faster if you start with what works so you can feel what's missing when you start inventing.

To answer the question directly, everyone else who's posting has good info, just more details on top of that--Some characters are called "batteries" because of their ability to build meter with extended combos (Magneto, Doom, Dante, Spencer and Zero come to mind) and other characters are significantly stronger if they come in with meter (Phoenix, Vergil and Strider are a few standouts). There's a lot of grey area in there but you need to think about how your team will build and use resources when you're putting it together.

Most strong teams in Marvel 3 use meter and/or assists to cover their approach and then have three different ways to use their resources to turn solid hits into a touch of death:

- long combo (often using an air exchange and/or combo extending assists) -> L1 hyper -> DHC to another L1 hyper if needed
- any combo into an L3 hyper (L3s do monstrous unscaled damage)
- any combo using X-Factor, especially if it's L2-L3 so you have time to mixup and kill the next 1/2 characters as they come in

So optimal team setups lately either use 1) a bunch of meter-neutral characters who can build bars and spend them to kill, or 2) a couple of meter-positive characters who build bars for one scary motherfucker in the back who can clean out an entire team with bars and X-Factor.

There's a lot missing from this but hopefully some of it helps, I tried and failed to understand Marvel 2 team composition just by reading about it (the best info I could find was some from IGN tutorial) and I still haven't seen a really good article on teambuilding for Marvel 3. Most of the best players are much better at thinking about/playing the game than they are at explaining :I

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

NoMoneyDown posted:

And drop work on Resident Evil 6? Fat chance :smug:

They can sell it by telling execs they'll cross-promote RE6, just replace Chris's grenade effect with Dormmamu 3x red hand and enjoy the free advertising at Super Chris Opera :getin:

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

Zand posted:

they tried that in tvc and it helped to make tvc horrible.

I ignored TvC but didn't Mega Crashes let some characters (like Zero) go into a combo that would build back the meter they used on the Mega Crash?

MK9 breakers are uniquely poo poo because they're an unbaitable way out of pressure after you gently caress up and get hit!

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

Waverhouse posted:

So maybe I'm not as up to date on fighters as I would like, but what would be wrong with a breaker system like Blazblue had?

BB isn't a great game but it gets more poo poo than it deserves because most of America gave up after the initial game was the bad kind of imba and the first shot at fixing it made the game boring as gently caress (and it didn't help that we were perpetually a version behind Japan). Either way I don't like its newer burst systems as much as GG/P4U or even BB:CT, it's functional but having those bursts stockpile and especially giving you extras when you lose seemed like a uninspired way to make games take longer. I also want to say that gold bursts feel bad in that game but maybe it's because I don't play that game well enough to "get" them?

Mio Bison fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Jul 26, 2012

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

tynam posted:

Strider is an amazing comeback character with meter and xfactor. With lvl3 xfactor and orbs, you can OCV before xfactor ends usually through built-in solo mixups. Just remember that once you lose xfactor and have no meter, you're pretty much completely screwed.

Obv Strider assist is godlike and he's fun to play but he's sooooo overrated as a Marvel 3 anchor, you can put oppressive pressure on in XF3 but his damage multiplier is crap on top of having poo poo damage to begin with so good loving luck taking out a team before he turns back into a pumpkin. Insult to injury is that his XF3 time isn't even that good (e.g. Wesker and Vergil get an extra second or two). I watch top 8/16 of most Marvel tournaments and I don't think I've ever seen a Strider reverse OCV, the announcer gets hype and maybe 1-2 characters die and then the Red Bull wears off and the match is over, it might as well be Pandora mode.

The best Strider player I've seen (wish I remembered his name/which tournament this was) actually optimized the poo poo out of his XF3 combos with sword loops and held orbs until after XF3, IMO that's the direction you need to go in if you want to make it work.

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

The fact that they clammed up and said "nothing we can do" for so long and then suddenly they come out and tell people to think about what they'd like to see in a balance patch implies to me that they're at least talking to Marvel. There's no reason to raise people's hopes unless they're putting some effort in. Doesn't mean it'll come to anything but hey.

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

Big Anime Fan Here posted:

Just give Ghost Rider a teleport. That's my new go to hotfix.

That's stupid and uninspired! Give everyone who doesn't have a teleport yet the ability to teleport the other character to them :smug:

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

Excels posted:

I mean competitively it's very unbalanced

Is it? Given the near-total lack of support for Marvel 3 it's remarkable how many characters and compositions still see tournament play. I won't overinterpret Evo but Hawkeye, Storm, Akuma and Shuma showing up in the top 3 of a ~1500 man bracket says a lot. As awful as Zero, Vergil and Doom are they're not so dominant that you have to play those characters to compete. Maybe if more people were playing Chris G's team at Chris G's level but not yet.

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

Complaining about Zero/Doom because of "infinites" is nonsense. Neither character has an infinite on point. Doom isn't even good on point. Plenty of teams can one-touch, do you want to ban out team KBR/Justin/Nemo? Welcome to Marvel, don't get hit. Break TACs too.

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

BREAKING: actual human beings believed an Eventhubs article citing a Japanese sports newspaper paraphrasing a Capcom executive talking off the cuff at E3 was 100% legitimate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

Prism posted:

Capcom hasn't exactly been earning a lot of goodwill lately. Did the gems in SF x Tekken ever amount to anything? I don't follow it.

Capcom backed off of the gems thing, released SFxT 2013 and Ultra (with Combofiend doing the balance changes and six months of loc tests) and ran Capcom Cup/sponsored this year's Capcom Pro Tour. If you have a fancy definition of "lately", like "two years ago", then yes, Capcom hasn't listened to the community at all and has done nothing with or for them. The AE and SFxT launches were disastrous but the trend since has been nothing but positive.

• Locked thread