Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

iPodschun posted:

The ones here in San Diego don't, from the times I've checked. They usually get the games a few days later.

Speaking of San Diego, if there's anyone else in the thread besides Rokstar and myself down here there's a midnight release party at the GameStop off of the 15 and Aero Drive (by Fry's Electronics). Viscant and the Box Arena guys will be there, and there's a 16-man tournament. Starts at 8. More info: http://www.thetravelingcircus.net/upcoming-events.html
Cool I might come to this. There is also an afterparty at Frubble, though that is pretty late for a worknight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

You guys see this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6oHL9toCoY

Looks like, in Vanilla at least, Chun had a weird infinite where her j. L reset damage scaling. I wonder if this is still in ultimate.

Sorry if this is old.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

The Dark Wind posted:

Assuming someone had like Sako or Desk levels of execution and could consistently hit the Firebrand touch of death all the time, is there any reason Firebrand wouldn't be considered top tier? It sounds like in the hands of someone who has godlike levels of execution Firebrand is potentially a complete nightmare to deal with unless you counterpick with one of the few characters who can escape his ToD.

He still has to kill the point character, which he probably can't do in one combo. Maybe he could burn xf1 and do it, I'm not sure. If the other guy gets one touch your team is hosed. It would be a cool team but I think it would be hard for it to compete with the likes of vergil/zero's bullshit.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

It's a glitch with the combo counter. The combo is resetting but the combo counter keeps going, which is why it does so much damage.

This is a weird cause and effect thing, are you implying that the counter stopping is what lets you tech/block but not what resets damage scaling?

Seems like this will be a rare sight but hopefully it is tournament viable. Modok 2013.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

I am saying it is not actually an infinite, the dummy is set to not block at all. The combo counter continuing to go up despite it not being an actual combo is a glitch. The combo actually does not work at all and you can 100% block. You can tell because the combo counter starts flashing like the combo is done, but keeps going up.

This was discovered over a year ago and Desk even made videos about it and a blog post here:

http://biffotasty.blogspot.com/2011/12/exploring-combo-counter-glitch.html

Bebop too smart for silly videos, good eye. So much for that.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Wow I really hope you are wrong and we see that in matches because it is cool as hell.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Brett824 posted:

Everyone's already talking about this being banned like Quicksilver or the Zero snap glitch but honestly this is so specific and not match applicable I'd rather TO's just let it rock.

Are those game ending glitches? Seems to me like, if the match can proceed and determine a winner once it occurs, it should be allowed. Though I'm not remembering how quicksilver broke the game, did it end up stopping everything?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Transient People posted:

Couldn't you use the Quicksilver to chip out a target without any chance of escaping too, or am I misremembering what it did?

I think if it were just this it seems pseudo legit(and marvel a bad game consequently, but eh).

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Jmcrofts posted:

You can do chip, but the real thing that makes the glitch broken is that Dante can move infinitely during his THC freeze by continually bold cancelling, and the opponent literally can't move whether they're getting hit/blocking or not. So if the Dante doesn't drop it, you can't do anything until time runs out.

Ahh, so it de facto ends the match via timeout if dante has a life lead, and doesn't seem like it requires any mistake or mistep on the part of the opponent. I think that is more reasonable to ban then, since it isn't like there is something they could do to avoid it. It isn't that far off from the skrull infinite, but that at least requires that you lose a character, and can be escaped by taking the hit or air dashing.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Also, Zero and Vergil loops would still kill you.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Arrowsmith posted:

The question is, is balancing strictly for pro-level play sufficient? It is obviously important. The public face of the game-high-level streaming and major tournaments-is important for bringing in new players and influencing which characters/teams those players will be attracted to. However, I think it's safe to assume there are more casual Marvel players overall, so it isn't the wisest decision to completely neglect aspects of the game just because they might not be relevant with regards to elite gameplay.

Competitive games should always be balanced for high level play, no exceptions. That defines what the game is, how it is played when truly understood. Scaling nicely so that low level players can emulate high level ones and not get destroyed by random stuff that doesn't really work is a nice to have, but should be a secondary objective. The former should never be compromised for the sake of the latter.

This is from a game design perspective. I make no comment about good business sense. If every company wants to league of legends their games because they think it's good business, they can be my guest.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

itskage posted:

I had a chance to test this and no it does not. You do your s move in throw range which is actually pretty bad.

What if you plink from H to S instead of just hitting them both? Are marvel throws 1 frame?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

New characters are Bone Claw Wolverine and Ken. Deal with it.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

somehow I don't think the lack of discussion here is related to not being able to buy jill

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Orgia Carnaval posted:

That and SF4 is actually their property they can do whatever they want with, while Marvel is a joint project with another company's characters who also have say in what happens with the game. Don't let that stop some of you from acting indignant though.

poor capcom went to bat for us and couldn't pull this one out, im sure they gave it their all don't be so hard on them mean thread posters

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I am guessing capcom is losing any interest in making fighting games, they haven't really done a successful one in awhile. Look how bare-bones ultra is effort-wise. I'm not sure they have another full game in them, and even if they do, I would bet good money they don't have a second one. "10 more years" but unironically.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Apr 3, 2014

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Vampire savior rerelease also did poorly, which I imagine dampened the will to make another one of those.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Shiki Dan posted:

It's a sad state of affairs in the gaming industry when a game (even one from a brand new IP) can sell over a million units and be considered a "modest success" at best or "massive disappointment" at worst.

A lot of money is spent on making games, absolute sale quantities don't tell you much without knowing the budget. I imagine there is some hollywood accounting going on, but still.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

also meaning capcom is a terrible negotiator

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Did arcade edition outsell marvel? (I'd count both the upgrade and the standalone.)

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Can we go back to caring about kof13 now?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Japan loves rocket raccoon, and team nemo exists and uses doctor strange. I have no idea how the average japanese player thinks but it doesn't seem that way in the small sample I have.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Medullah posted:

So UMVC3 online is now gonna be "officially" dead, since they said they'd never patch it again, right?

Why is it dead? It opens up more cool teams like morrigan doom doom and sometimes someone will gently caress around with galactus. Seems about the same to me, it's not like it was reasonably competitive with the latency anyway.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Mio Bison posted:

Capcom backed off of the gems thing, released SFxT 2013 and Ultra (with Combofiend doing the balance changes and six months of loc tests) and ran Capcom Cup/sponsored this year's Capcom Pro Tour. If you have a fancy definition of "lately", like "two years ago", then yes, Capcom hasn't listened to the community at all and has done nothing with or for them. The AE and SFxT launches were disastrous but the trend since has been nothing but positive.

hey guys we cleaned up that turd we sold you a little bit, it's now lemon scented, do you forgive us? I haven't played ultra yet so I can't really judge there, though sf4 is still sf4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

man this looks ba....it has juggernaut. your move marvel

• Locked thread