Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

I'm also really new so take my critique with a grain of salt. I like how the yellow roof stands out in the first picture, but the bridge feels a little distracting to me. I like the colors on the second one, but the composition on it doesn't really gel with me. Not quite sure why? I think those trees on the right kinda take me out of it.

I posted this in the contest thread but would like some critique on it. Was taken with my phone kind of on a whim. I thought it fit with the theme of the contest so I figured hey, why not post it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
It was actually taken through a window while I was at work, and those were some smudges on said window :v: I need to go get rid of them in photoshop, but figured I could still get some feedback on the shot despite them. (I know I should have done that before submitting to the monthly contest, but I took it on the last day and just didn't have time)

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

InternetJunky posted:

I'd love to hear any critiques about this image in general, but especially about the processing. The original was shot into the wind on a very rainy day, so my lens was covered in water leading to a very washed out final image. Switching to B&W seemed to be the only way I could add some contrast back into the bear without making the colours ridiculous.

I’m not really sure how to suggest how to improve this image, but I will say I really love it. I like the detail on the bear, and the rain (snow?) falling. The dirt detail is great too! Maybe some of the stuff along the bottom of the frame along the ground is a little distracting? But there’s not much you can do about that.

Anyways, to help give this thread more content, I posted these in other threads, but would like some critique on them:

IMG_20180615_210229 by Cody P, on Flickr

IMG_20180617_162815_2 by Cody P, on Flickr

IMG_20180607_162821 by Cody P, on Flickr

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

I realize a bit late, but it might be a good idea to critique my own stuff!

1: I was trying to get a feeling of something old and forgotten. Everything in that building looked like it was placed there in the 90s and then never moved, and I liked the light shining down in that area whereas the rest of the building was dark. I upped the contrast to try to really drive home that feeling of loneliness, like being the only person left in an empty office and wondering why you’re bothering. The image looks a bit crooked, but I can’t quite figure out a rotation that makes me happy with it - something always looks wrong

2: I really liked the textures with this, and kinda tried to go for something a bit abstract. When I first zoomed in this far, I couldn’t really tell what the letters were supposed to be. I liked the shadows and the contrast they provide, but a few parts feel a bit out of focus.

3: I took this one while sitting in traffic so it’s a teensy bit low-effort, but I liked the lines made by the buildings and the power cables. Since it was a bit of an impulse shot I’m not entirely sure what exactly I specifically liked about it at the time, it was more of a gut feeling. I also really like how the shadows between some of the buildings merge with the traffic lights, but that was a happy accident more than anything else.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

It's a shame you couldn't capture the bottom, cus it definitely feels kinda cut off without it. I love the color pallet, though. the difference between the two shrubs also makes the image feel a little unbalanced. I feel like maybe an asymmetrical crop that's tighter on the left and wider on the right might help, but that would probably result in a completely different feel.

I agree with what was posted before, I wish this was a face-on shot, since this seems to be slightly off to the left. I also feel like some of the sidewalk / street would help this too. Alternatively, maybe go for a more abstract sort of feel, and crop off the top of the building?

This is my favorite of what you posted, I love the colors. The hole beneath the TUG marking looks almost painted on, which is cool. However, it seems slightly off-center? Maybe it's just me.

I love the details in the subject's hair in this one. However, the woman on the left is kind of distracting to me, especially since she's out of focus. Maybe do a major crop to cut her out almost entirely? then it would give a good contrast of the man going one way, with "everyone else" going another. Might totally change the photo, though.

I like this one a lot, but the shadowed area on the right is a little distracting with how dark it is. I assume this was done for contrast purposes, but it feels a little much to me. Maybe up the shadows a little? You could maybe also go the complete opposite direction, and go super duper contrast with it and make them even darker, but that might not work out great. I do really like how the shadow line naturally leads your eye to the person, but the ever so slight amount of darkened detail on the right keeps pulling my eye away from them.

I really love the angle of this! I actually thought the little guy was clinging to a branch/log, it wasn't until I took a second look that I saw it was another lemur. While it was a cool discovery on my part, I'm not sure if that was what you intended or not. I like how the dark areas in the background lead your eye to the lemur, but I could maybe see a tighter crop on the left. I also wish the aperture was a few stops wider, the background seems just detailed enough to be distracting, but not a lot you can do about that now.

Anyways, I finally got another roll of film back, here's what I've been shooting. All shot on Superia 1600, so I tried to do what I could with the grain. I'll spoiler my own thoughts on my images so hopefully they won't influence any feedback you guys have.

73530019 by Cody P, on Flickr

For this one I noticed how drab and grey and boring the parking garage felt, but this one orange marker stuck out. Yet, despite sticking it, it also felt drab and grey and boring, despite being such a vibrant color, so I tried to capture that feeling. I also felt like this was a good shot to capture the claustrophobia and confusion that many small, unfamiliar parking structures have, so I tried to get lots of signs and angles and hard edges. I feel like the bottom-right and center highlights are too blown-out, even after burning them. I also worry the burning I did is too noticeable, but maybe that's because I've been staring at it too long.

73530036 by Cody P, on Flickr

Definitely the grainiest of the bunch, but I intentionally didn't remove much in post. I was walking along a lake pier and noticed this kind of ugly valve with ugly stickers on it, and it sort of gave me the feeling of when it's a super nice day out, but you feel like poo poo. Even when it's bright and sunny out and you're at a nice relaxing beach and everyone is having fun, but gently caress you feel like garbage anyways. I thought the dark pallet and grain helped get that feeling. that being said, I do worry the grain is too heavy, and maybe I should have toned it down. I also worry the extra pier on the right is distracting being cut off, but I also kind of feel like it helps give a sense of place with the pier seen in the bottom. Maybe I'm just justifying not taking the effort to clone it out, though. The pipe also kinda looks like it's coming out of nowhere.

73530003 by Cody P, on Flickr

Similarly, I liked the unwelcoming and alienating look of this house, despite being in a sunny happy beach town. At first glance the house looks very bright and cute, but then the windows are shut tight and there's a weird board ruining the look of the place and there are words painted on to it basically telling people to gently caress off. And yet it's surrounded by colorful houses, and even has flowers out front! I'm sad I couldn't copy / heal brush the sign away along the fence, I tried hard but nothing looked natural. I also tried to salvage the super dark area on the left, but I couldn't get it any better than this. I do like how it ties in with the feelings I was going for with this, though - even if it was a happy accident. I'm not sure I like the shadows the house is casting on itself, but since we were just passing through on vacation I couldn't really come back for a better shot later on. I also did a little bit of cloning to remove some distracting branches and power lines, I hope it's not obvious.

CodfishCartographer fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jul 18, 2018

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Megabound posted:

Fuji Pro 400H on medium format.

I really like the grunge on the mirror here, and how it “censors” the subject. Especially works well since the bathroom looks kind of nice otherwise. Reminds me of a bathroom that was really nice and expensive forty or fifty years ago. I really like the placements of the showerheads, too. I think you succeeded fairly well in what you were trying to get, although I didn't quite get much of a disjointed feeling from it.

Megabound posted:

Fuji Superia X-tra 400, 35mm

I like the swoop on this one, and the color of the sky. I can’t tell if the greenery at the top of the plants is moving slightly due to a slower shutter speed, or if it just looks that soft, but it’s nice. Reminds me of a day at the beach that’s a bit too windy. I’m not sure how I feel about the path in the center, my eye keeps drifting between it and the plants themselves. It feels a little distracting, but the picture would probably feel too flat and boring without it, so I dunno maybe someone else can chime in about it.

Megabound posted:

Fuji Superia X-tra 400, 35mm

I really like the textures on the doors on this one. It feels ever so slightly crooked though, and the tree reflected in the window on the right keeps distracting me. Especially since you were trying to bring out the dilapidated feeling of it, the greenery reflected in the windows gives it more of a business park feeling, at least to me. Also, at first I didn’t really like the grey sky along the top, but it’s grown on me and now I think it works.

Megabound posted:

That being said, why are you shooting 1600 speed film if you're trying to avoid grain?

Honestly, I just shot on it because I underestimated just how grainy it was :v: Still new to this and feeling out how various films feel and how different ISO films behave. Here's some more from that roll:

73530020 by Cody P, on Flickr

I really liked the orange light of sunset of this shot, but I also liked the texture of the sign and the building in general. I also liked the idea of the sunset signifying this old decaying building, with the shadow of a smokestack also giving it an abandoned industrial feel. The grain really works well here, I think.
I also liked the repetition of the windows of this shot - I wanted to get a zoomed-in shot to flatted them out for something more abstract, but didn’t have a long enough lens on me. I tried making a crop of this shot to focus on this idea, but I dunno how well it worked.

73530021 by Cody P, on Flickr

The smokestack from the previous shot! I kind of went for something a little abstract, but I just liked the sunset behind the silhouette of an industrial town. Looking at the shot it feels a little crooked, but with the uneven and unclear horizon I’m not sure if it’s a trick of the eyes or not.

73530033-2 by Cody P, on Flickr

This was intended to show off the dark grunge I stumbled upon while walking along a beach trail. It stood out to me as so ugly in such a nice and scenic location. While I think I captured the ugliness of it, I realize I didn’t succeed in capturing the contrast of that ugliness against a scenic view. I tried to include some nature in the shot to give that sort of contrast, though.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

iammeandsoareyou posted:

I have been shooting a bit a wildlife recently mainly because it's convenient where I live. This is one that I like but I go back and forth on whether I cropped in to tight on the subject.

untitled-13 by noonebutme2010, on Flickr

I feel like a little bit of a wider crop would probably be good, depending on the rest of the shot. I could stand to see a little more room to the left of the bird, to give a little more weight to the direction it's flying in. I feel like since it doesn't have much detail on the bird itself, it doesn't benefit from being as close-up as you have it.

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

I've kind of fallen out of actually giving a poo poo for the last few years, but recently I've been trying to actually care about my work again, and actually tried to take some decent shots while I was in atlanta for DragonCon a couple weeks ago. Most of what I shot ended up feeling like the usual touristy poo poo one takes at these cons, but I feel like I might have gotten something decent with a few shots and was looking for some critique to help me get back into thinking about shooting.

While my gut reaction is more in favor of the first, I think after sitting on these I prefer the second - the lighting works for the subject, I just wish that her arm wasn't cut off on the right. As for the first, I really love the tones and contrast you've got going on, and the ~bokeh~ is good, but it just doesn't really feel like it's telling me anything or doing anything for me. It just feels like you took a picture of some random folks standing in line. If the subject matter was more interesting or told a better story, I'd love this one. Sorry I don't have much more to provide to help you out with it, though.

Fabulousity posted:

Went out and shot some Blue Angels stuff today. I was on the SE corner of Boeing field shooting through fencing while the Blue Angels took off. They had a set of four take off first with the trailing two aircraft after to make a total of six. While shooting the take off I tried to get one of the last two but in the heat wake of the quartet and the heat made by the photo subject the AF system did its best and I ended up with this:

20180803-DSC_4023 by That Guy, on Flickr

I really dig the look of this, but for whatever reason I wish the plane itself were sharper. I doubt that's even possible, though. I also wish the shot were just a bit wider, although maybe then you'd lose the watery effect from the exhaust. funny you were so concerned with the smudge, I probably wouldn't have noticed it if you hadn't pointed it out.

As for my own content, these are probably my three favorites from my most recently-developed roll of HP5+ 400, looking for whatever feedback people wanna provide! Spoilered my own thoughts on the pics, so they don't influence others (hopefully)

95420011 by Cody P, on Flickr
I can't quite get this to feel level. Maybe it's just the nature of the subject, but it always feels slightly crooked. It also feels a little dark, maybe? But whenever I lighten it up, it suddenly feels TOO light.

95420017 by Cody P, on Flickr
I wish I had used a smaller aperture with this to get more of the beams in focus. I was thinking having the depth of field would help the image feel more three dimensional, but it just makes it feel like I missed focus, I think.

95420024 by Cody P, on Flickr
My favorite of the bunch. the bottom corners being different levels bugs me, but I can't crop it to look natural and not also be crooked.

CodfishCartographer fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Oct 13, 2018

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

President Beep posted:

I really like the composition here, but I keep waffling back and forth on the color. Too saturated? I’ve found that it’s noticeably harder for me to accurately judge my own work...

Open to any other feedback too.

Yeah, it definitely seems a little over-saturated to me. I'd prefer more of a pastel set of colors, but maybe that's just me. Also, it feels slightly crooked?

AA009A_02 by Cody P, on Flickr

Just got a roll back with this, I had to do a fair amount of keystone correction on it, how'd I do? Any other feedback?

AA007A by Cody P, on Flickr

The keystone on this one keeps making me think it's crooked. Thoughts? Other feedback?

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

President Beep posted:

Thanks to you as well. I think you and Codfish were right about the saturation being too over the top. I had to go into the color mixer and kick the poo poo out of the greens until they behaved, but it does look more natural now.

Good call on the path placement—the turf really was too prevalent. Luckily I had another, closer shot that lent itself better to the improved composition.

This is much better. Easier on the eyes, and the composition definitely is improved by being closer. I like the person (people?) more in this version as well!

I posted this last page and I think it kinda got swept away. Since this thread seems fairly active at the moment, anyone wanna provide some critique? It was my favorite of the roll it was on, but I fknow there's ways I coulda improved it.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

President Beep posted:

I like with the power lines. Their perpendicularity to the building and the way they lead the eye to it are pretty cool, I think. They also make that quadrant of the frame more interesting without cluttering it.

Agreed. They also interact in an interesting way with those jet trails.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I’m kinda torn on Lomography purple. It definitely comes off as gimmicky, since many times it’s used as a crutch to make an otherwise boring / mundane photo stand out. On the other hand, i do like the colors and ~*aesthetic*~ it provides, and I think with a specific shot or composition it could work well to give an uneasy / otherworldly feeling.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Jupiter Jazz posted:

The shots are underexposed. As said in another thread I really like low key aesthetic. How do I achieve a great exposure with natural light, in the wild, while maintaining this kind of low key aesthetic? Think Alex Webb.

The aesthetic of shafts of natural light illuminating the subject and casting a high contrast look is a look I'm highly attracted to. How can I achieve this without feeling like I need to underexpose? On Alex Webb shots he is similarly overly represented by an uneven histogram.

The general advice for the best exposure is ETTR - "expose to the right" of the histogram. Expose the shot as brightly as possible without blowing out important highlights. That gets you as much detail as possible in the shadows. Then in post you bring the shadows up to a good level, then bring down the exposure of the image overall if needed, or just the highlights depending.

I would try taking your photos into lightroom / dark table and mess around with them there for a bit. Don't really focus on trying to make them perfect or anything like that, or really even worry about making something you like, but more just focus on seeing what you can do with the light and shadow.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Jupiter Jazz posted:

Yeah I love the contrast in her pictures. I figure if I can shoot high contrast like Webb, I'll be able to shoot light to my whims in general.

Good idea on RAW. I just set it to shoot jpg+raw. I've never shot RAW ever. Time to experiment.

Note that raw files will probably look much worse at a baseline level, but will give you WAY more flexibility for editing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

tompepper posted:

Thanks!

I have been watching quite a few documentaries but not so much studying professional catalogues of photos or anything like, probably a good idea.

Re: autofocus, I find that the extra moment it takes for the autofocus to adjust can be a bit cumbersome which is why I've been trying to pre-set my focus. Obviously I can't account for every situation which is why some of my photos turn out blurry which I'm sure you saw (😬) but I still post them for my own self satisfaction just because I like the subject matter.

I haven't put too much thought in to using the pre-set settings either but maybe I should try experimenting a little bit and just see how it goes.

Great feedback, thanks again.

As above, auto focus is good. If it's too slow for you, consider finding a lens/camera combination that focuses faster.

If you mostly like street shooting, it's also hard to beat the Ricoh GR line. Their focus speed isn't the best in the world, but they have a snap focus setting that essentially functions like a zone focus, and you can use either it or auto focus depending on how quickly you hit the shutter. With its 28mm equivalent lens the depth of field is pretty generous, so at f8 you can set it to like 6-8 ft and get everything past that in focus with a quick snap with zero auto focus time. It's also tiny enough to keep in pant pockets, and the GR or GR 2 can be had secondhand for pretty cheap.