Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hotwax Residue
Mar 26, 2010
I like where you're going quazi! I have been wanting to try similar stuff ever since I stumbled on John Doogan and Darby Hudson. Darby Hudson is actually an illustrator but he uses parts of images and PS in a lot of his work. I have a magazine with a tutorial in it of the 1st image of a circus

Hotwax Residue fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jan 21, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hotwax Residue
Mar 26, 2010

Mr. Despair posted:

This is a shot I took a few months ago in the evening as some snow flurries were coming in. I like how there's a nice split down the middle between the incoming snow and the blue skies. I'm not sure which of these crops work better, or if I should try something else with this.

DSC_1259.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

DSC_1259.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr
The first crop is definitely the best. The bottom right corner is too distracting/ugly in the 2nd one. The fact that snow flurries are coming in from the right isn't really obvious, to me it just looks like really bright sky. Maybe you should have moved more to your left and pointed the camera more to the right so we could see more of the incoming weather.

Tekapo Canal by Paul.Simpson, on Flickr

Mackenzie Country by Paul.Simpson, on Flickr

Hotwax Residue
Mar 26, 2010

onezero posted:

This broke my brain as well. Incredible shot, and lucky to have so little wind. One question, the color blue is slightly different from the sky to the reflection...did you do some saturation adjustment on the water?
Thanks! The water in that area is from snow melt and glaciers and so tends to be more aqua than blue.

Hotwax Residue
Mar 26, 2010

Augmented Dickey posted:

I want to do something with this one, but something just doesn't look quite right to me. Maybe i would benefit from a tighter crop?

A square crop might work but then perspective will probably look weird since the bridge is banked. Maybe you could have moved to left a little bit. The ground and water on both sides of the bridge are a little to bright so I just end up looking at that instead of the bridge and the two people under it.

Lake Hayes by Paul.Simpson, on Flickr

Orari by Paul.Simpson, on Flickr

Hotwax Residue
Mar 26, 2010

Break Fast posted:

Speaking of noise, here is a photo I took some time ago.
It was a rather unfortunate day for shooting, since the sky was gray as.. something gray and had no emotion at all, but I liked the composition at the time.

Another shot in Canarian Islands national park.

Both images seem a bit soft or blurry to me, I'm not sure if that is because of camera shake or what. The first one I kind of like but as you say the dull light isn't helping much. I think the big square is maybe to far to the left and that bollard thing on the far left is to close to the edge of the frame. The same spot at sunset/sunrise would be great.

In the second one the path leads the eye nicely. The light seems a bit harsh and there is some blown highlights between the branches. That is always a problem when shooting trees/forests, the dynamic range is normally to big for your camera's sensor to deal with. Maybe you could reduce the exposure a lot and make it all dark and moody looking.

-----

Autumn Poplars by Paul.Simpson, on Flickr

Hay by Paul.Simpson, on Flickr

Baa by Paul.Simpson, on Flickr

Edit: VVV straightened the trees, thanks :)

Hotwax Residue fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Apr 20, 2012

Hotwax Residue
Mar 26, 2010

Wafflecopper posted:

Landscapes are something I'm trying to get better at. I posted one in this thread a while back and it was critiqued (quite fairly) for having awkward composition. How is the composition in this one? Also it was obviously a cloudy day with flat lighting which I know isn't generally considered ideal for traditional landscape photography but I thought the mist and clouds gave a shot a kind of spooky, ethereal feel. However I did have to mess around with some graduated filters in lightroom to make the shot less flat. Did I pull it off?

Lake Manapouri 2 by euannz, on Flickr
Love Manapouri, beautiful place! The biggest issue I have with the photo is the busy foreground. If you'd taken the photo from the other side of that picnic table, with just those rocks as the foreground, it would have been much tidier. And maybe more in keeping with the moody theme. Maybe if you could have shown more of Manapouri's islands like on the left hand side it would have helped with the moody/ethereal feeling as well. The processing looks good though, sometimes low contrast is a good thing

Hotwax Residue
Mar 26, 2010

liwet posted:

Another Drawing-a-Day resident here! I think this exchange thing is a pretty cool idea.

I love this. The contrast between the crispness of the foreground and the very painterly reflections in the water works really well. The water looks just like ink and salt washes, all blurred and spotted. Great palette, too, especially that mustard and teal, and the way the trees work as arrows towards the sheep.
Thanks! It is great getting crit from a different perspective!

TomR posted:

Here is a photo of mine.

2012-109 by Tom Rintjema, on Flickr
Haha! That is pretty cool Tom. You used perspective well to get the size of the T-Rex right. The tail of the other dinosaur makes me think of some crazy tornado. If the head and neck looked slightly more cloud-like I think it would be even better.

------

Crown Terrace by Paul.Simpson, on Flickr

Scott Kelby says you shouldn't take dead tree photos but screw him ;)

20120418-_MG_8883-Edit.jpg by Paul.Simpson, on Flickr

Hotwax Residue
Mar 26, 2010

aliencowboy posted:

1. This feels a little too weighted to the right because of where the hills fall off and the horizon being a little crooked. This is nitpicky stuff for the sake of being nitpicky. It's a landscape and it works. You do these well.

2. This one just seems like it's begging to have more dynamic range or a greater feeling of depth. Maybe dodge some of the highlights a bit more, especially in the background hills, it might help frame the tree better and pop some of the secondary focal points. As an optional homework assignment: after taking a shot like this, try doing it again, but spreading it over 4-10 photos and stitch 'em together (just to humour me!). Shots like this are just begging for MF/LF depth of field control.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

I had some fun with a roll Portra 160 and my new FM2n

. .
Thanks ac. The horizon in the first one is tricky and I struggled with it not looking straight. The foreground actually slops away and is separated from the hill by a river. But I agree about the weight for sure. I'll have another crack at that tree.

I love the simplicity of your second two shots. Who knew a pair of shoes could be interesting! The only nitpick I have is the sky in the third shot is a little bright and drags my eye away from the beautiful tones of the car. Great work as per usual.

fivre posted:

I tried wandering around at night to see how well I could do shooting wide open the whole time. I didn't get much that looks great full-size, but shrunken some are alright.
I like the colour and the over all composition. But that pole on the right hand side shouldn't be there. It blocks the eye from looking down the alley, and because the two people are heading in that direction that is where I want to look. What's down there? Where are they going? etc.

Hotwax Residue
Mar 26, 2010

xenilk posted:

Team bride

IMG_4950 by avoyer, on Flickr
I feel like this one should be more neutral, or maybe a bit more contrasty. And maybe a little too much room on the right? Just nitpicking really.

aliencowboy posted:

The second one is fantastic! The first one I think the right hand tree of the two in the foreground interrupts the eye to much. The driveway leads the eye towards the house but then when it hits the tree I just end up looking at the tree and sky. Not much you could do about it though.

-------

I'm struggling with this one. It is two exposures blended manually, but I just can't seem to get it to look right to my eyes.

Bob's Cove by Paul.Simpson, on Flickr

Hotwax Residue fucked around with this message at 07:41 on May 9, 2012

Hotwax Residue
Mar 26, 2010

dukeku posted:

Trying out slides at night, metering is a little tricker than with print film.

I actually disagree with Reichstag, I prefer the 2nd one, it is just a bit "cleaner". The light in both is awesome though.

Cacator posted:

Here's a few I took on a trip to Switzerland and exclusively used an X100:

Artistically Placed Tree by Cacator, on Flickr
I think the the horizon should be lower in the frame. And maybe you could have got down closer to the flowers, that would make the tree appear larger.

tijag posted:

I figured out all my color issues and can now actually post something that looks like it did in Lightroom.

20120425-482.jpg by tijag, on Flickr
The light rays and the colour gradient are fantastic. The clouds at the top are a bit harsh though and the highlights are blown. I'd be tempted to crop them out.

Hotwax Residue fucked around with this message at 07:11 on May 12, 2012

Hotwax Residue
Mar 26, 2010
I like how the person is framed by the white thing and the eye is lead nicely by the crossing, but I still think there is too much going on in the image and the guy is a little small. You could crop it just above the O'Hara's sign and I think that would make it stronger.

-----

Too blue?

Disappearing Act by Paul.Simpson, on Flickr

e: wasn't straight :ohdear:

Hotwax Residue fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jun 10, 2012

Hotwax Residue
Mar 26, 2010

LargeHadron posted:

No, but crop the left to make the trees even on both sides.

e: On second though, ignore me. I put my hand up over it to check and it looks funky like that. I thought you were going for symmetry (my word of the month, I swear), but I can see that it's probably not actually about that...
Yeah if I crop for the trees the road is off centre but not a good off centre :/

Hotwax Residue
Mar 26, 2010

Voronoi Potato posted:

Thanks Torgeaux, I was wondering what he meant exactly and that makes much more sense. I'll keep posting here and hopefully I'll get better.

This is a picture of some fruit on my desk. I know the composition is bad but I don't really know how to make it better and still hold focus with such strong DOF. Is it possible to crop the picture in a more interesting way or should I keep trying to shoot it at different angles?
There has to be a reason for such shallow DOF, like drawing the viewers attention to something they might not have noticed otherwise, and at the moment that isn't happening here. My eye gets drawn to the in focus skin(?) on the left. I don't know what I'm looking at and it doesn't really work as an abstract so I'd say you should try shooting it again. Think more about why you are shooting it and what you are trying to convey to the viewer.

-----

Remarkables by Paul.Simpson, on Flickr

Hotwax Residue
Mar 26, 2010

Oprah Haza posted:

Meh, haven't really shot much of anything at all lately.

All the leading lines and the sky are cool but for all that, my eye never really settles on anything. A contrast boost would make the sky and the colours pop a bit more. There is some sensor dust top left too ;)

------

I tried to hold myself back from maxing out the contrast slider and smashing the blacks :ohdear:

Hotwax Residue
Mar 26, 2010

CarrotFlowers posted:

I'm a big fan of your landscapes, always have been. I really like this one too. The colours are gorgeous, and the bridge is nicely exposed in contrast to the water. I do feel like it's been done a lot though. I know a lot of your other landscapes feel quite a bit more original to me, so while I think this is very pretty, I also think it was an easy picture for you to take so I'm not quite as impressed as I usually am.
Thank you for the kind words! But, yeah you are right about it done a lot, I even have another photo taken in the exact same spot with a similar looking sky. Square crop though ;)

VVV Thanks! I don't think I have enough foreground to do that without losing a good chunk of the sky unfortunately.

Hotwax Residue fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Jun 22, 2012

Hotwax Residue
Mar 26, 2010

Dread Head posted:

My summer solstice.

I really like the warmth of the fire contrasting with all those cool blues. Have you tried darkening the image down a bit? I think that might add some mood and accentuate that warm/cool contrast. As was said in the Landscape thread, it's a shame the rocks surrounding the fire a chopped off a little too.

Hotwax Residue
Mar 26, 2010

xzzy posted:

Are they making plans to rebuild it? I hate seeing old buildings fall apart. :smith:
Can of worms. The Anglican church, who actually own the building, are knocking it down to rebuild some monstrosity in its place. Some people agree, some people don't, and of course there is the cost :( Probably to late to save it now, unfortunately.

Hotwax Residue
Mar 26, 2010
You've got some blown highlights in the first one which makes me end up looking at her leg more than anything else. I think this would be cool if you could darken it down a lot so it looks more like a she is climbing a stairway to heaven the light.

The 2nd image has some nice tones and what looks like an interesting beach but the plants in the foreground take up way to much space and kind of block what I really want to see.

With the last one I think you could have zoomed in a lot more on the waterfall. With nothing to give a sense of scale it would have had people trying to figure just how big/small it really is, which would have added more interest I think.

----

Foreground is a bit meh

Hotwax Residue
Mar 26, 2010

The Clit Avoider posted:

Something about this just doesn't scan properly to my eyes. The composition is conventional, but I think with the colour profile and, the (shall we settle for uninteresting?) foreground, there's a large area in the picture that doesn't really do much. Part of the reason the foreground fails to draw attention is that it's quite small and almost seems as if the beach-head was included as an afterthought. The mountains are the obvious focal point, and are great, but I'd like to see the framing either 2 feet forward (cutting out the end of the beach-head, and just making the picture the tide and mountains) or 2 feet back and a looser crop (giving more top space, but also introducing more foreground). At the moment it feels a little too tight at the top and bottom and with the cool blue shade being the prevailing colour it doesn't quite work for me.

Leviathor posted:

My feeling is that it looks claustrophobic for such a grand scene. The lack of foreground and almost telephoto-like compression leads me to think this is a crop from the original 25mm framing.

Water and mountains would be the weaker option in my opinion. Getting lower to minimize the midground (while emphasizing the foreground) would be my default option.

Opening up the shadows might serve this well, too. The contrast in the foreground and water adds a lot of heft, and blending some brightness into the shadows will help that. (I just noticed my work monitor is dark to begin with, so take this with a grain of salt. I'll review it on my calibrated monitor at home later.)

Thanks guys. I knew something wasn't right, aside from the boring foreground, but I couldn't put my finger on it. I think you're right about the claustrophobic feeling. The interesting thing is that it isn't a crop of the original shot and I was as low as my tripod will let me get. White balance has been difficult as well for some reason. Looks like I'll have to head back there for another go, which isn't very exciting because it was cold as gently caress ;)

Hotwax Residue fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jul 9, 2012

Hotwax Residue
Mar 26, 2010
The love the tones in the 2nd one but I don't like how the irrigator exits the frame. It leads the eye out of the frame and just doesn't quite seem right. Apply the processing of the 2nd shot to the last one and I think you'd have a winner.

Hotwax Residue
Mar 26, 2010
I like how easy it is to guess the context of this, and how I want to know what see is looking at. The harsh light helps with the context but it might just be a little too blown out. And it is a shame about the position of the pipe, although it isn;t quite growing out of here head it does cut the frame and make it feel to heavt on the left side.

---

I tried something new. Not overly happy with the result but keen to have another crack at it.

Stary Sky by Paul.Simpson, on Flickr

Hotwax Residue
Mar 26, 2010

Falco posted:

This is fantastic. The foreground and sunset are great themselves, but throwing in some stars was a real stellar move. Do you usually try to nail hyperfocal focusing on shots like this? I haven't had great luck with that, but feel its the only way to get everything in focus.

I don't usually bother with hyperfocal, the distance markers on my wide angle only go to 3 feet and then infinity anyway. My normal technique is to focus about a third of third of the way into the photo which, most of the time, is close enough to setting the focus ring to infinity.

Hotwax Residue
Mar 26, 2010

geeves posted:

Actually getting a better shot of the stars would be what you can improve.. But you need the 85L to do so.
Yeah I would have preferred to have no movement in the stars. Unfortunately all I had was the 17-40 f4, so even an f2.8 lens would have helped.

xenilk posted:

I'm curious but what are you not happy about?
Mainly the stars, but I'm a bit restricted with my current lenses. And I had to crop a bit which annoyed me.

Hotwax Residue
Mar 26, 2010

David Pratt posted:

Since a couple of people mentioned this, I uploaded the b&w version without the split toning or contrast adjustment:

mushrooms - less post by fuglsnef, on Flickr
Personally I prefer the low contrast version. Maybe because there is more detail visible under the big mushroom? Or maybe I'm just a hipster :suicide:

I really like the first one. She breaks up the pattern nicely and I think it is cool that her skirt is almost the colour of the uniforms but then her jacket is so bright, and how she is framed by those around her. There is a lot of backs in both photos though, which makes me wonder what is going on. That doesn't bother me with the first photo but seeing them both together it does. If you had a third photo showing the ceremony it would make a good series.

-----

Tried another night time landscape. I'm worried that it looks to much like day time. I tried making it darker and less blue, but it just didn't look right to my eyes and processing night photos isn't something I'm used to.

Remarkables at Night by Paul.Simpson, on Flickr

Hotwax Residue
Mar 26, 2010
This one seems to have been missed. I really like the depth and drama of the shadows. They fit the overall mode of the the photo well, and all the important elements are well lit. The brightest part of the bath competes with her face a bit too much though. And those white doors in the background are a little distracting. All fixable though

----

Waves by Paul.Simpson, on Flickr

And still playing around with star photos

Sunset Stars by Paul.Simpson, on Flickr

Hotwax Residue
Mar 26, 2010
I think the 2nd and 3rd could have been interesting with the bricks in the background countering the smooth shape of the sculpture. But the flash ruins it with the harsh shadows. Try going back on an overcast day.

----

Hotwax Residue fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Nov 28, 2012

Hotwax Residue
Mar 26, 2010

dopaMEAN posted:

I think the next thing I'd like to figure out is how to adjust depth of field. From the brief primer my aunt gave me on the camera, it sounds like I could control how much of the background was in focus using this, but I can't figure out how to make it work yet. I should probably grab a photography book from the library, now that I'm thinking about it.

That photo is absolutely gorgeous- where did you take it?
Thanks! It was taken near Queenstown, New Zealand. This might help with understanding depth of field

rio posted:

I feel that while well executed, the wood in the foreground is not as interesting as the location itself, and I wish I were just looking at a straight up landscape featuring less water, the mountains/treeline and more sky. I also think that if you want to include the elements on the left of the photo that they should be more prominent. As they are now, it seems to be more of a distraction than an integral part of the composition.

-----

end of autumn by Paul Hofreiter, on Flickr
Yeah I agree my composition could be cleaner, and its a bit left-side-heavy too.

With your photo I think you're including to much environment. My eye keeps getting pulled towards the white building at the top and its pretty busy up there.

Hotwax Residue
Mar 26, 2010

Casu Marzu posted:

Wide angles are cool. This building structure thing is cool. It would be nice if you could lighten up the darker portion of the structure to get a bit more texture out of it.

It is a shame the bird in the background isn't whole, I might have been tempted to crop/clone it out, but otherwise I really like the framing. I think the 3rd is the stronger of the 2 river photos, it feels colder and more wintery.

Shampoo posted:

DSC_0365-3 by jpitha, on Flickr

I spent entirely too long standing around waiting for a shot with no people in it. Naturally, I also spent entirely too long trying to straighten the lines in Lightroom, and I still think there could be more done to it. It was drat blue that day.

Edit: Dirty dirty sensor.
I struggle with getting lines straight too but I think this would really benefit by being a bit straighter. I really like the blue contrasting with the crisp white building, it is how I imagine Spain or the Mediterranean to be (having never been there!). The bin or whatever in the bottom right corner is a little distracting and the tree on the left is getting a bit close to the edge of the frame.

-----

Not sure if the cows are too small but unfortunately I couldn't get any closer.

Hotwax Residue fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Dec 13, 2012

Hotwax Residue
Mar 26, 2010

LargeHadron posted:

Here are a few of my own.

DSC03184 by LargeHadron, on Flickr

DSC03182 by LargeHadron, on Flickr

DSC03436 by LargeHadron, on Flickr
The first two I like, living in a small town I'm a sucker for urban landscapes. The second one is probably the better of the two, I like the repeating square shapes, the forst one is a little more cluttered and that crane is a little too close to the edge. The third is a pretty cool chiaroscuro type image, the light even makes a kind of arrow pointing down the stairs! A bit contrast might add some mood maybe?

I've had this shot sitting around for a while, I'm not so sure about the sky or how dark the rest of the image is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hotwax Residue
Mar 26, 2010

Dren posted:

I like the second one a lot because fog but you've pushed the blue and the green too much in the first one and it comes off looking a bit unnatural.

I disagree, I don't think it looks unnatural at all. I think the full sun is hurting the image a little though. The fog photo I like but the bottom seems a little chopped off.