Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred

This is nice, what's your technique for getting such creamy mids/skin tones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZoCrowes
Nov 17, 2005

by Lowtax

XTimmy posted:

This is nice, what's your technique for getting such creamy mids/skin tones.

Thanks! You'll want to shoot somewhere that the light is very even and cool (it was a bright day but the shadow of the buildig was nice and cool) and then just play with the tonal range in post. Warming the highlights usually helps (especially with her since she is really pale)

I know that's kind of a generic description so here is the original and everything I did in light room.

ZoCrowes fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Sep 11, 2012

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Happy Happy Breakdance Challenge 4

xenilk posted:

Yes of course, the sun was quickly setting and I wanted the bokeh in the back. Seeing as it was taken at 1/200 on ISO 250 I'm sure I could have went 2.2/2.5... so yeah bad on my part. Also, I'm just not sure what was up with the auto focus since all the focus points are responsive on both axis but sometime it just like to screw around with me.

I'll have to try it again, just for the sake of it.

Well I'm not saying "bad", per se, I just think you can get a bokeh effect from a smaller aperture. In this shot, for example:

I was on f/2.8 at 1/125, ISO 320, so you can go smaller and still get some bokeh effect going on. I guess it depends what you're after, though.

Santa is strapped posted:

Yea I really want to see a RED in action. I want to visit a pro/semi-pro film set basically, ha.

Thanks for the comment on the photos. The distance you sense was intentional (the theme of the series was ala escaping the city to daydream in the forest) but note that the girl said she doesn't know how to pose (same goes for me) and is evident in some other photos. I honestly paired them up because I liked how the lines of the wall in the right photo matched the lines of the left photo and kept my eye circling around both frames.

I'm liking the feel of those shots, though - even if the pairing was slightly fortuitous, I think the way she poses and that distance is actually pretty cool and gives a weird sense of loneliness You should do more like this in various places with her: you may have uncovered a gem, there. Don't tell her, though, just let her carry on with the posing as usual.

EDIT: Commenting on EVERYTHING

ZoCrowes posted:

These both have the potential to be good shots but the pose is a little off in both of them.

In the first one I wish her chin was up a bit more and I could see her eyes. Your light is really nice and it is overall a pretty good shot. It's definitely the stronger of the two shots. I don't mind the soft focus I think it fits the mood that I am getting from the shot pretty well. Again, I just wish her eyes and chin were up a little more.

What in the hell is she doing with her hand in the second shot? It looks like she is scratching a record. And I know it's probably out of your country but the woman doing the haters gonna hate stroll in the background is very distracting. There's a potential for a nice kind of Parisian feeling but the pose and stroller in the background are distracting elements.

Went into the studio to do some promo shots for my friend's Hemingway short film. The processing is supposed to be like an early 1920s wet plate. It's a bit more than what I would normally do processing wise but it works in context I think.

Hemingway - The Last Good Country by christopherpaulscott, on Flickr

The last two are just a few quick shots from a trip to the museum my fiance and I took last week.

Cassie at the Field by christopherpaulscott, on Flickr

Cassie at the Field by christopherpaulscott, on Flickr

I do like your 20s wet plate thing, and it's probably exactly what he's after, but I am personally never totally happy with those shots when I have a go at them, because you can always see the modern detail behind them. I think you almost have to purposefully make it look "worse" in terms of glass and sensor quality, like these pics of Jeanne Eagles from the 20s:

I'm absolutely dying to make some romantic portraits of both men and women in this style, but I want them to look indistinguishable from the wet plates - they would have to be spot on. I'm going to look into it a bit more and try and figure out a better way of doing it.

Cassie shots are awesome as always - I love the red dress. She's such an awesome subject, you lucky sod.

/creep comments

I was actually trying to find a girl who has a very vivid red dress like that for the shots I took in the park recently, because I knew it would work and look great, but not found anyone so far.

Gazmachine fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Sep 11, 2012

rio
Mar 20, 2008

drat NIGGA posted:

#1. Like the idea but the sky is blown, and your exif data says 1/4000 at 1600 ISO. Looks a like a sunny day, you don't need that high an ISO at all, cause it's daytime. If you're starting out, google sunny f/16 and shoot that, then bracket -1 +1 and see what you get.

That was a dumb mistake - I realized that my wife was just about to walk a bit further down and be obscured, so I just shot it and didn't realize that I was still on ISO 1600 from the previous night. I didn't know about sunny 16 - thanks a lot for that. Very interesting and something I was able to try out a little bit today.

Santa is strapped posted:

I agree that it's too dark, however you don't need to up the brightness for the whole scene. Just bring it up slightly for the kids and the bright water behind them (that will separate them even more and add contrast) with a mask, that's all.

I tried to selectively lighten it a bit and very subtly tweak a couple other little things - did I end up worse off, is it a step in the right direction or did it solve the issue entirely?

last day of summer (vacation) e2 by Paul Hofreiter, on Flickr

Also a quick thank you to everyone, everything said was helpful and as always gives me a lot to consider.

e: Sovi3t, thanks so much man for the great advice and words. Very quick impression of your photo (brain is shot and heading to bed) - I don't really like developments like that at all, so to want to spend time looking at that has to mean that the lighting and naturally high contrast is doing it for me regardless of the subject and any other composition that you are thinking of in retrospect.

rio fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Sep 12, 2012

Sovi3t
Jan 11, 2005
purple monkey dishwasher

rio posted:

One standard question for all of these (in addition to the individual questions below - I still struggle with "this is interesting to me, but is it interesting to someone who was not there and does it have any merit". I don't know if it is a natural stage of learning, but I really second guess myself a lot these days.

I faced this issue too, and came to the conclusion that it was because I was not a good enough critic. Study your photos (and other people's) and get better at answering what makes some better than others.

rio posted:

DSC08212-Edit-2.jpg by Paul Hofreiter, on Flickr

It was very hazy when this was taken a couple days ago, and the sky reflected that. I still like it, but while in post I was wondering if I should have gone tighter with the crop. As it is now, it is only cropped from the top and bottom to go 16:9.
I don't get a clear message from this photo. The clouds look like they might be interesting, but they are almost washed out, making it hard to resolve detail. I can see that it's hazy because of the trees in the distance, but if that's the important bit, I would have used a telephoto, which is very revealing when it comes to atmospheric haze. Then there's the person, I'm not sure what to think of her. Also, the trees on the side of the photograph are distracting, I feel.

Try comparing your photos at thumbnail size. A great photograph (with strong composition, colors, lines, etc) often looks great even at thumbnail size (or at a distance). If it's a thumbnail, you want to click on it to see more detail. If it's in a gallery, you want to walk closer. Take a look at this photo in thumbnail size and compare it to the other two. You should be able to see quite clearly the stronger photos.

rio posted:

inspiration by Paul Hofreiter, on Flickr

I always wonder with skies... is it worth showing other people? Like, sunsets for example might be pretty but they seem kind of cheap and not special photographically unless there is really something interesting going on.

You're on the right track. If you like shooting clouds, keep shooting clouds. Wouldn't hurt to read up on clouds, too. Monitor them closely, they can change by the minute, sometimes by the second. Clouds can be the subject, or they can be the background; many possibilities either way. The more you shoot, the more selective you get.

Putting the sun in the center of the frame generally is less interesting. In this shot, I would have panned right, or used a longer focal length to show what's really interesting--the crepuscular rays and the delicate, back-lit wisps of cloud.

rio posted:

the last of summer by Paul Hofreiter, on Flickr

Is it too dark? I messed around with some post but every attempt to lighten it or lower contrast really killed the mood. In fact, most of the things I usually do in post just did not seem appropriate, so this is very minimally edited. Any advice would be appreciated, as I can usually think of 10 things I would do differently but this time I think I am pretty pleased (an am afraid that I am missing an important step in finishing this picture).

Also, to pat my back briefly, I was proud of how I shot this one - saw these kids fishing and thought of the shot I wanted, walked past them and acted like I was shooting something else while metering and watching them from the side, then turned and took the shot when it presented itself and I don't think they knew that I even did it. I think I could have broken the mood if I was obvious about it so in that regard I was happy :)

By far the most interesting shot. It's not too dark. The silhouettes are easy to make out, and serve their purpose. The horizon is vertically centered, which is generally not a good idea, but it's not terribly distracting here.

(edit: I still think the first edit of the photo has plenty of detail where it's necessary)

--------------

20120907-IMG_8003.jpg by SacktapDeluxe, on Flickr
Spur of the moment, but I'm in love with the light. Does the hasty framing kill this photo?

Sovi3t fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Sep 12, 2012

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

ERRYDAY I BE SPLIT-TONING! Honestly, its the only skill I got other than shooting the back of women and calling it "Editorial".

ZoCrowes posted:

These both have the potential to be good shots but the pose is a little off in both of them.

In the first one I wish her chin was up a bit more and I could see her eyes. Your light is really nice and it is overall a pretty good shot. It's definitely the stronger of the two shots. I don't mind the soft focus I think it fits the mood that I am getting from the shot pretty well. Again, I just wish her eyes and chin were up a little more.

What in the hell is she doing with her hand in the second shot? It looks like she is scratching a record. And I know it's probably out of your country but the woman doing the haters gonna hate stroll in the background is very distracting. There's a potential for a nice kind of Parisian feeling but the pose and stroller in the background are distracting elements.

Thanks for the awesome critique, I truly enjoy your work.

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001

1. The empty space on the left is a bit too much for me. It's a big, out-of-focus area with not much going on and it just feels too heavy. I'd be tempted to try a square crop.

2. The expression in this is great, he looks like a dude chilling out on a sofa. Not much to criticise technically.

3. Pretty good too. I wonder how it would have looked if you'd waited until the one on the left had turned its head so it was mirroring the one on the right? Looking at the title maybe that's not what you're going for. I do love symmetry a bit too much though :)

Interesting double-up. She looks pretty forlorn on the left, and the shot on the bench makes you wonder if she's waiting for bad news, or to go into court or something weighty like that. The wall on the right almost lines up with the buildings in the background on the left - maybe stretch the left picture vertically a bit so they match up perfectly? </ocd>

Sovi3t posted:

20120907-IMG_8003.jpg by SacktapDeluxe, on Flickr
Spur of the moment, but I'm in love with the light. Does the hasty framing kill this photo?

Yes. The shadow at the bottom isn't helping. If you'd taken a few more steps to the left you'd have had the road as a nice leading line with one-point-perspective leading to the bright/dark contrast at the top of the frame.

225/366 - I'll Knife Ye by fuglsnef, on Flickr

229/366 - Mushrooms by fuglsnef, on Flickr

246/366 - Elfa in the Mist by fuglsnef, on Flickr

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

I know this is infuriatingly unhelpful, but I love these two shots. They're at absolute opposite ends of the photographic spectrum in many ways, which is what makes it cool to see them shot by one person (not that you have to pick one approach to photography and stick with it, but you know what I mean).

The lines in the food shot are heaven.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

I'd clone out all the knifemarks from the red board to make it an almost-solid block of colour, otherwise looking good :)

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

NoneMoreNegative posted:

I'd clone out all the knifemarks from the red board to make it an almost-solid block of colour, otherwise looking good :)

and the rust on the knife.

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

NoneMoreNegative posted:

That's true, and the slight vignetting in the top corners.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Echoing the praise for the other two, but I really like this one especially. Great use of a point-and-shoot - you'd never get a bulky SLR low enough to take this shot. Very creative.

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred

Wafflecopper posted:

Echoing the praise for the other two, but I really like this one especially. Great use of a point-and-shoot - you'd never get a bulky SLR low enough to take this shot. Very creative.

I'm a little exhausted so if this comes across as overly picky don't sweat it, but can you justify the split toning? To me it's just an afterthought to an interesting angle, and being one of those anti-instagram-assholes I can't help but call it out on the unnecessary post processing.

A self portrait as proof of concept for a shoot I want to do. I appear to be leaking light through my elbows.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

XTimmy posted:

I'm a little exhausted so if this comes across as overly picky don't sweat it, but can you justify the split toning? To me it's just an afterthought to an interesting angle, and being one of those anti-instagram-assholes I can't help but call it out on the unnecessary post processing.

I agree. I like the other two shots because the food has some interesting shapes and colors and the mist shot is intriguing, but all I see here is a fairly plain shot of mushrooms with an effort to make it more compelling by adding some effects. However I don't feel like the effects do anything to enhance or alter the drama of the photo itself and I don't find it really visually or aesthetically interesting beyond that. I don't think there is such a thing as "unnecessary post processing" but I do think there are images that are going to be dull no matter how much post processing you do to them.

TQR favorited it, though, and I really respect and admire his visual sense, so maybe I'm just not the audience for that particular photo.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

I'd move the veggies inside the line of the plate to retain the circle shape better. Along with other suggestions, I think it would promote the clean "cut" if you will that the colors and shapes have.

Splash of Color by torgeaux, on Flickr

Beginning of the Ceremony by torgeaux, on Flickr

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

mr. mephistopheles posted:

I agree. I like the other two shots because the food has some interesting shapes and colors and the mist shot is intriguing, but all I see here is a fairly plain shot of mushrooms with an effort to make it more compelling by adding some effects. However I don't feel like the effects do anything to enhance or alter the drama of the photo itself and I don't find it really visually or aesthetically interesting beyond that. I don't think there is such a thing as "unnecessary post processing" but I do think there are images that are going to be dull no matter how much post processing you do to them.

TQR favorited it, though, and I really respect and admire his visual sense, so maybe I'm just not the audience for that particular photo.

Personally I think that there is an entire industry devoted to unnecessary post processing with Hipstamatic, Instagram and the like where it is easy to fall into the trap of the processing fighting to become the point of the photo. I don't do a lot of stuff in color unless the color in the photo is the point or is at least pulling its weight and contributing and that is pretty rare with what I choose to jam into a lens. That said, when I looked at David Pratt's photo I saw the mushrooms first and the split tone second so it passes my internal test. If I were to make a 12x12 grid of random Hipstamatic/Instagram photos and put the mushroom photo in there somewhere and pushed my chair back a few feet from the monitor, the odds are pretty high that my eyeballs would still "see" this photo first.

As far as favoriting it goes, this is the view you would see if you were an ant crawling around the severed ear at the beginning of Blue Velvet. I think the perspective is interesting and as Wafflecopper astutely pointed out, getting a DSLR up under there would be problematic so it offers me something I don't see every day. One of my first thoughts when I saw this photograph was that it would be a neat Saturday to carry around a mirror to shoot the undersides of things to see what that looked like. Also, thank you for the compliment, the marvelous thing about the whole online digital photograph/favorites relationship is that you can build on the cheap a mighty collection of what inspires you or embodies the world in which you wish to live.

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001

XTimmy posted:

I can't really justify it beyond I thought it looked nice. I have a print of it, and the purple is a lot less apparent than on the screen. The low contrast was deliberate so that you could see some detail on the inside of the big mushroom.

Since a couple of people mentioned this, I uploaded the b&w version without the split toning or contrast adjustment:

mushrooms - less post by fuglsnef, on Flickr

Hotwax Residue
Mar 26, 2010

David Pratt posted:

Since a couple of people mentioned this, I uploaded the b&w version without the split toning or contrast adjustment:

mushrooms - less post by fuglsnef, on Flickr
Personally I prefer the low contrast version. Maybe because there is more detail visible under the big mushroom? Or maybe I'm just a hipster :suicide:

I really like the first one. She breaks up the pattern nicely and I think it is cool that her skirt is almost the colour of the uniforms but then her jacket is so bright, and how she is framed by those around her. There is a lot of backs in both photos though, which makes me wonder what is going on. That doesn't bother me with the first photo but seeing them both together it does. If you had a third photo showing the ceremony it would make a good series.

-----

Tried another night time landscape. I'm worried that it looks to much like day time. I tried making it darker and less blue, but it just didn't look right to my eyes and processing night photos isn't something I'm used to.

Remarkables at Night by Paul.Simpson, on Flickr

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001

Hotwax Residue posted:

Tried another night time landscape. I'm worried that it looks to much like day time. I tried making it darker and less blue, but it just didn't look right to my eyes and processing night photos isn't something I'm used to.

Definitely looks like night as you can see the stars. If you want it to look more night-timey you could try making the sky/water a darker blue. It'd be nice to see a version with the sky balancing out the water a bit more, like from the same position but portrait orientation.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Hotwax Residue posted:

Personally I prefer the low contrast version. Maybe because there is more detail visible under the big mushroom? Or maybe I'm just a hipster :suicide:

I really like the first one. She breaks up the pattern nicely and I think it is cool that her skirt is almost the colour of the uniforms but then her jacket is so bright, and how she is framed by those around her. There is a lot of backs in both photos though, which makes me wonder what is going on. That doesn't bother me with the first photo but seeing them both together it does. If you had a third photo showing the ceremony it would make a good series.

This photo illustrates why I can't do much but be behind them. This was a very proud dad, walking right behind the Admiral, Master Chief and the Chaplain. I could not get away with that.

Bold Proud Father by torgeaux, on Flickr

CPO pinning ceremony, big deal for the navy.

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

On the subject of David's mushroom, I think the processing is fine. It's not necessarily their fault, but people are so turned off by the quick filters of instagram that they have an immediate reaction to anything processed.

There's nothing wrong with processing for effect - the image is strong on its own and the processing is good and done to serve the image, not to try and add drama to a poor shot.

Processing doesn't always mean instantly bad.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Gazmachine posted:

On the subject of David's mushroom, I think the processing is fine. It's not necessarily their fault, but people are so turned off by the quick filters of instagram that they have an immediate reaction to anything processed.

There's nothing wrong with processing for effect - the image is strong on its own and the processing is good and done to serve the image, not to try and add drama to a poor shot.

Processing doesn't always mean instantly bad.

Nobody thinks processing means something is instantly bad. That's dumb. Every photo in here has been processed except for some of the film shots. People have questioned how the dramatic processing improves the image.

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Sorry, I meant PROCESSING as opposed to processing, as in obviously processed images with split toning, tints or what have you.

I'm just putting forward the theory that we all have such an emetic reaction to badly or heavily processed images, because so many of them are lazily or badly done and it's what we seem to be exposed to frequently, that it may be, to some extent, affecting our opinions of images that have a strong processing to them despite there being thought to the image.

I just couldn't be bothered putting it more eloquently. Sorry.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Nobody thinks processing means something is instantly bad. That's dumb. Every photo in here has been processed except for some of the film shots. People have questioned how the dramatic processing improves the image.

I can assure you that every single film shot posted here has been processed in some form or other.

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

Your composition in this shot is excellent. The amount of water and sky you've chosen to include emphasizes the slenderness of the visible section of the land and hills and sets up a foundation for the climactic element of the smokestacks reaching into the sky. The couple in the red boat are placed with care and serve to set the scale of the scene rather than as a distraction. Your placement of the horizon tells me that I should be getting a soaring feeling from the shot, and combined with the verticals of the smokestacks, it works beautifully. The way the shape of the clouds echoes the background hills and contracts around the tips of the smokestacks is simply wonderful. The whole shot feels very ethereal and timeless.

Untitled by TheJeffers, on Flickr

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I feel like this is too tight on the left (the cut-off bumper is rather jarring). For what it's worth, I hate taking pictures of cars (despite being a total car person) mostly because it's a bitch to compose them well.

There's a really good composition somewhere near where this shot was taken, I think, but I'm not exactly sure where it is.

Also, jesus christ:

Love the colors, love the composition, love the lines of light formed by the railroad tracks.

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Sep 17, 2012

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Thanks! I can't take credit for the idea though, I've seen this kind of shot done before and better.

DAMN NIGGA
Aug 15, 2008

by Lowtax
Wow, that's an amazing shot.

dowdy_pants
Aug 18, 2008
I tried shooting some cars for the first time this weekend. Not as easy as I thought...

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

dowdy_pants posted:

I tried shooting some cars for the first time this weekend. Not as easy as I thought...

Only two suggestions:
  • The bouncy house or whatever it is to the left of the car kind of blends in to the frame of the car and is distracting. Not much you can do about it, but maybe should from the other side of the car would have given more isolation?
  • I would crop it down a bit, because the empty space to the right and above the car isn't doing much for me.

dowdy_pants
Aug 18, 2008

QPZIL posted:

Only two suggestions:
  • The bouncy house or whatever it is to the left of the car kind of blends in to the frame of the car and is distracting. Not much you can do about it, but maybe should from the other side of the car would have given more isolation?
  • I would crop it down a bit, because the empty space to the right and above the car isn't doing much for me.

Thanks for the great suggestions. Unfortunately there were porta-potties on the other side. You're right about the extra spacing. I'll give it a crop.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

dowdy_pants posted:

Thanks for the great suggestions. Unfortunately there were porta-potties on the other side. You're right about the extra spacing. I'll give it a crop.

Burning the stuff behind the car might help de-emphasize it a bit too, just a thought.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

I would move back a little, including the left edge of the bumper in the shot and moving the cutoff for the hood either to the right edge, or out of the shot entirely. As it is, it seems a little unbalanced.

Also, it's a matter of personal opinion, but I'd move the camera up a little and point it more straight at the front of the car; that way, the lines are a little more horizontal and less sloping, and the lines in the headlight lenses would be straight too. Ignore this if you're going for a more dynamic look like that.

Hotwax Residue posted:

When I'm trying to emphasize the night-ness of a night landscape, I like to darken the picture and increase the contrast. Especially with color, it tends to darken the blue in the skies and emphasize the stars more, as well as lowering dark details to emphasize the highlights, which is what'd you'd mostly be seeing under moonlight anyway.

Here are a couple examples:

The one on the left is brought down using a LAB-space L-channel curve (which messes with the colors less), the one on the right is an RGB curve.

Edit: increasing the contrast also brings up the whites, which I don't think you did enough in the initial processing; your snow is a little orange/brown and your stars are mostly light grey (partially because of the downsampling for this size).

Untitled by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

Lady with Dog by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

Coyote Land, Fog Sea by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Sep 17, 2012

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

This seems like it would have been tricky to expose correctly but I think it's spot on. I really like contrast between the two bulbs and the horizontal lines covering the frame. Obviously it was shot at an angle but I don't think that it would have been nearly as interesting if you had shot it straight on.

Something about this picture just isn't doing it for me- I think the blades of grass in the foreground are a bit distracting. It seems like the shot could have been much more dramatic if you had managed to only have the mushrooms in the frame.

I feel like I've been in a bit of a creative slump lately, but here are a few shots from this afternoon that I'm sort of happy with.

DSC_3096 by lwmyers, on Flickr

DSC_3061 by lwmyers, on Flickr

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

atomicthumbs posted:

Untitled by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

I actually like the composition of this one a lot, but the noise seems distracting. Was it just a function of how/when you were shooting, or was it a deliberate addition to make it look more grainy? I do like how the mist and light colors lend a otherworldly look to it though, and I think black and white help tell the story here.

DSC_0170 by jpitha, on Flickr

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah, the grain/noise seems a little over the top on that guy. The other shot from the beach is pretty pleasing though, and has similar levels of noise. So maybe it's that barely visible hill in the background causing problems? It's like I want to focus on it to see what it is, but the noise makes it seem like I'm prevented from doing so.

A couple from my visit to GNP back in August:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

The grain's a function of the film I used and the fact that I didn't get the exposure quite right. Nothing I can do about it now :v:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

What, you don't have a time machine? Scrub. :smug:

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM

xzzy posted:

Yeah, the grain/noise seems a little over the top on that guy. The other shot from the beach is pretty pleasing though, and has similar levels of noise. So maybe it's that barely visible hill in the background causing problems? It's like I want to focus on it to see what it is, but the noise makes it seem like I'm prevented from doing so.

A couple from my visit to GNP back in August:

I love these. Scenery and landscapes like this are why I got into this as a hobbyist and got a DSLR to take along with me on backpacking trips. I love the framing you've done on all three, since it actually conveys the sense of... "grandness" out there. The first thing I noticed in the first picture were those striking feathery clouds, but the second thing was how oddly flat the lake on the left looks. Is that an unintended effect of some tweaking in post somehow? Or is it just an odd angle of reflection? Might just be me, but it's an absolutely beautiful shot otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It might be some careless processing.. I tend to not mess with saturation, but I might have tweaked it inadvertently when I was fixing the sky.

But that's also how I remember that lake. It was a ridiculously vibrant aquamarine.