Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001

ZippySLC posted:

I generally like this, I think mostly because it's along the genre that I try to shoot. My only complaint is the basin in the foreground. Maybe it's me, but I just find it kind of distracting.

Apple Crates by benruset, on Flickr

I think one of my biggest problems is getting interesting composition. I'd like to know what, if anything, could have been done differently to make this a better photo?

Take a few steps back to get the whole tree in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

023.jpg by drgarbanzo, on Flickr

Further round the track

059.jpg by drgarbanzo, on Flickr

035.jpg by drgarbanzo, on Flickr
This is possibly my favourite shot from the day and I have an idea why but I'm not entirely sure why.

048.jpg by drgarbanzo, on Flickr

Please read the OP.

First is really boring, there's no real subject.

Second is also boring, and the horizon feels crooked.

Third, I see what you were going for with the perspective along the rail, but perspective alone isn't really a good enough subject in this case. If it was leading to something, maybe. The out-of-focus background also doesn't work because there is no subject to isolate, this would have worked better a larger depth-of-field.

Fourth, you've used a shallow depth-of-field for no good reason again. Fair enough, getting the background visible through the holes in the rust out of focus looks good, but you've got bits of the rail itself on the right of the frame out of focus and it's not helping. A more dead-on angle would have helped with this. Also, if the idea is to show the texture of the rust, compose only on that, leave out the bit of background at the top.

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001

XTimmy posted:

Trying more post work than usual, this is a snapshot taken while walking that I tried to turn into something a bit more. Wanted a vibe of a shrine or sacred place.

Mission accomplished, that looks awesome.

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001

FistLips posted:

I took some pictures of a co-worker. Does anyone have any suggestions about this? In particular regarding processing, as I'm not 100% happy with it.

The link is broken. Did you edit/reupload the photo?

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001

VelociBacon posted:

the gradiated exposure filter in the sky might be too bold

It is. I see this effect overdone everywhere, particularly on the BBC, and it looks dreadful. At least you've kept yours away from the ground, though.

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001

This is great you should post it in the food thread

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001

These both suffer from the lack of an obvious or interesting subject.

The first one is just some twigs and a blurry building. There is very little figure/ground separation - the twigs are the same colour and luminosity as the background, so they just sort of blend in. Also, post a bigger picture next time, 500x300 isn't enough.

The second one is better compositionally, but the out of focus twigs in the foreground are distracting. The colours seem a bit oversaturated - did you mess with this in post? Textural shots are often quite nice in black and white.

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001

Excellent symmetry, nice colours, good range of tones. A+++ would look at again.

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001

Some nice lines leading up to some nice framing with the wall then... an out of focus subject. The wall is not your subject, the wall is a framing device, the shallow depth of field is inappropriate.

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001

Some nice examples of good figure-to-ground separation in this article
http://erickimphotography.com/blog/2013/10/07/street-photography-composition-lesson-2-figure-to-ground/

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001

quote:

Pretty sure that the shadow detracts from this one--anyone else agree?:

The shadow makes this one.

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001

This is one of those subjects that looks awesome in real life, but hasn't translated well in the photograph. You need to consider what's happening to the scene when you photograph it:
  • You're surrounding it with a frame - what should be kept, what should not?
  • You're making it flat - do the elements that look three-dimensional through binocular eyes, moving around the subject, still have depth once projected onto a plane? Should they?

If there was a squirrel or something poking its head out of that hole it would have been great. In the absence of a subject like that I would maybe have gone for a purely abstract close crop. To use your original as source (hope you don't mind):

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001
But... the sky is cyan :shrug:

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001

SteiniDJ posted:

This is a series of shots which I've merged together. It was taken on an island south of Iceland during Easter when it was extremely windy.

It is always windy in Iceland.
:goonsay:

Apart from this morning. This morning was fine.

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001
Straighten that horizon.

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001

I think this one needs some people in it. It's got near- and far-distance, but nothing interesting in the middle.

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001
This is pretty boring. A reflective curved surface can be interesting as part of a bigger composition but I don't think it's enough on its own (unless it's that loving bean statue everyone photographs).

This is the best of the three. Nice texture. Interestingly contradicts the critique you yourself gave in the same post.

There's way too much going on here. Lots of lines going in different directions with no flow to it. The most obvious flaw is the imperfect framing of the boat by the poles - you should probably have walked forward until it was contained within them, or gotten them out of the way altogether.

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001
Johnny Reb - you might want to read the OP, you know, like it says in the title of the thread.

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001
Yep, this is the critique thread, after all ;)

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001
Boring.

Boring. Also has dreadful HDR-haloing around the trees.

Awesome.

More of the third, less of the first two. If you must watermark make it subtle like the third, not obnoxious like the second.

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001

Johnny Reb posted:

I'm pretty proud of the crop job I did on this, and pretty happy at the detail my D600 retained in the crop.

Why are you proud of it? It's a boring centred composition, there's a line bisecting the subject's head, the frame is so tight to the subject there's no room for it to breathe, and it's square but should be landscape orientation.

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001

MindSet posted:

I've also got a 50mm prime lens that I haven't even tried, since I'm still getting the hang of it and want to stick with an 18-55 until I get that worked out.

You should. I learned more about perspective in the first few weeks sticking to a 35mm than I did in years using a zoom.

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001

whsa posted:

house by whsa, on Flickr

Foreground is underexposed. In Lightroom raise the "shadows", in an editor capable of editing curves, raise the left-hand part of the curve. Doing it this way rather than raising exposure will keep the detail you've got in the clouds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001
The first one is nice. Looks like a still from The Vanishing of Ethan Carter. The flare and dust is a little off-putting though.
The composition in the second one isn't working. Most of the frame is out of focus, and the subject isn't prominent enough to balance that.

Also: people in this thread stop posting tiny drat thumbnails, here is what you do: